SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Verona. The stunning beauty of Italy

Tags
italy verona
10K views 58 replies 18 participants last post by  hhhhh 
#1 ·

Map: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr....454315&vpsrc=6&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=10&t=v&z=7

Verona is an incredibly beautiful and charming city in the North of Italy approaching the Alps. It certainly is one of the most beautiful and characteristic cities I have ever seen and would love to come back some time in the future.

Straight to the business: the photos

1. A cute little Fiat in Via Luigi Galvani street, on my way from the hotel to the old town. Hotels seem somewhat affordable in Verona. The city generally seems ok in terms of prices. At least compared to Milan.

2. The historic city center looks and feels authentic and old

3. I have noticed lots of old bikes. It's remarkable how people manage to preserve them and keep in a good shape for all those years

See less See more
#3 ·
9. Castelvecchio castle, standing next to Castelvecchio bridge. Built in the 14th century by the Scaligeri dynasty which was then ruling Verona.

10. Castelvecchio bruidge tower. The bridge was built by the ruler in order to escape in case of public unrest. The ecape route would have most probably lead to Tirol (Austria) as the ruler had reliable contacts and allies there at the time.

11 Via Roma street

#7 ·
I agree with your view of this incredible city. I remember being on top of this tower, the famous one there that tourists climb, and looking down at the view, and thinking this is just an amazingly beautiful city, and i had to ring a friend there and then and tell them what a breath-taking view I was experiencing; the roof-top townscape, the river and hilly, country-side surrounds. More beautiful than a landscape painting, and the real thing. Of course at street level it's also lovely. The Roman Arena is a unique venue and the area around it is lively and charming, as is most of the town. It really does live up to its romantic expectations. Nice pics. :cheers:

#8 ·
nice shots.
this is one charming medieval town and have a chance to visit once
and I still have a faint memory of its narrow cobble-stoned lanes,
the Roman arena and the porch of Juliet's house and that remarkable big like palace
on a hill across the river.
I hope you have some more photos to upload and thanks though for sharing them.

#9 · (Edited)
Thank you. I surely have more photos and will post them all here. :)

Continued...

13. A Chinese restaurant in Via Roma. Despite being in a busy touristy area between Castelvecchio and Roman Arena it wasn't expensive and not even too busy despite excellent food with reasonably big portions and big bottles of Tsingtao beer. Good dining option for those who don't want to splash their Euros on expensive restaurants but want to have a proper dinner with good food.

14. Roman amphitheater arena , built around 30 AD. Third largest amphitheater in today's Italy with a capacity for about 25 000 spectators. They surely knew the importance of good entertainment back in those days.

15. Shopping street in the old town

#14 ·
Continued...

23. Haven't seen many of those before. The only other time I saw an X6M was in Guangzhou a few months back

24. A little fellow in one of the more remote streets leading towards the top of some hill. There were lots of them but almost impossible to spot before they run away. I'd love to catch one :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.