SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW BRIGHTON | Project + News + Gallery

28K views 117 replies 27 participants last post by  jaeden 
#1 ·
I grew up in South Brighton so I am very interested in finding out what is happening in New Brighton in regards to development. In some of the previous posts there is a diagram on how the esplanade and mall will look. There was a little bit of information on the development of an amusement park and thermal pools on the foreshore in a community newspaper. There were supposed to be plans of revitalizing New Brighton. Has anyone got any updates.:cheers:

#2 ·
The revitalisation of New Brighton is seen as a key project in development of a suburb that is currently in a state of decline.

New Brighton needs to be a destination place where the sea and foreshore attract people and the beach is ‘connected’ back to the commercial area to attract spending and investment.

Input from the various interested groups has been achieved through the use of consultation and then the establishment of a Taskforce - the ultimate aim being to revitalise the area. The Master Plan included outlines the areas to be addressed and other factors that will enable the vision to be fully completed.

:banana:

#3 ·
Weekend ban on fishing from New Brighton Pier

The Burwood Pegasus Community Board has voted to ban fishing from the pier on weekends and statutory holidays between 6am and 6pm during the period of daylight saving. They are also asking the Council to ban crab pot use on the pier. Since it opened nine years ago, the Council has received numerous complaints about inconsiderate behaviour of some fishers. Unsafe fishing practices, such as overhead casting, the use of multiple rods limiting the space available for other fishers and damage to the handrail and other structures have caused problems. Many fishers do not clean up making it unpleasant for other visitors. Extensive consultation with the community found most people favoured some control over the fishing on the pier. Many also wanted more enforcement of the rules and education on what is acceptable. Regional Parks Manager Kay Holder says the decision is a compromise which will mean fishing is still able to be done from the pier, but not at the busy weekends “Some people wanted a complete ban on fishing from the pier and others wanted no change in the current situation, so restricting fishing in summer weekends and statutory holidays means we can accommodate visitors and those who want to fish,’’ Ms Holder says. People have been flouting the current rules which include no overhead casting, using bait cutting boards and fish cleaning tables provided and no fishing in no-fishing zone,’’ she says. “We needed to make the pier safe for everyone.’’ Fishers still have the opportunity to fish from the pier during the week year-round, says Ms Holder. They can also fish before 6am and after 6pm on weekends and statutory holidays during daylight saving. There is no ban on fishing when daylight saving ends. The ban will be enforced by a mixture of security guards and park rangers who will have the ability to trespass people who flout the rules, she says. Extra enforcement officers are planned and more signage will spell out hours and rules around fishing. To find out how well the new ban is working, it will be reviewed at the end of the summer. “Most people who fish off the pier are considerate and comply with the rules,’’ says Ms Holder. “ It attracts a wide range of people including children, family groups and adults who come from the city as well as New Brighton and there are of lots of different ethnicities who enjoy fishing. “We certainly don’t want to fully ban fishing at this stage, rather to make sure

#5 ·
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I suggest someone goes on to the interweb and starts looking for information about what is going on - there is tons and I've read it - but I just haven't got the time to start posting for Brighton at the moment...metroman...you come from Brighton...??????

Pictures anyone????

#11 ·
I've just quickly scanned through the city council website and found nothing new about the further developments at Brighton - I think we are going to have to wait until the new year before we see anything happening - I'm sure it's all going to kick of next year :banana::banana::banana:

One thing they do need to sort is a good transport link out to the centre of Brighton. I think a tram link would go a long way in making this attractive.

#13 ·
The council have done an excellent job with the mall upgrade (if only they could do the same with citymall), and interestingly the area has seen a reduction in graffiti and vandalism.

As far as developments go. Pier One- hmmm. Not sure whats happening here, signage taken down a few months ago, the house on the site was re-leased to tenants although they have vacated again recently. South of New Brighton Mall (on Marine Parade) a 32 unit two building development (of 6 levels each) is planned. The Council required the developer to list the resource consent breaches on a large bill board for local residents and since then, the grass has grown to about 5 foot and the few pre-construction items there have been removed. There has been no news on the Owls Tce redevelopment..:eek:hno:well not that I am aware of. This had 'huge potential' as it could have housed hundreds of new residents for the area:banana:. The new zoning has limited multilevel redevelopment. This site could easily accomodate 4 10-15 storey residential towers. They would look spectacular at the entrance to Brighton. :banana::banana:

Most of the development taking place at the moment here are townhouse or infill single level dwellings (over 60s units). A 16 unit development was recently completed in North Brighton, but its only 3 levels and not photo-worthy. NB does have a big future though. School zoning means NB's future is with empty nesters, dinks and oinks... and these groups love towers.:lol:

Re: Tram; Brighton already has excellent road and bus connections to the city. Car drivetime is 12 minutes. I'd like to see the tram continue to service and expand within the four aves, but expanding out here could be a white elephant.

If I can find my NB development pics I will post them. :cheers:

#12 ·
Milan - any chance you are heading out this way? If you do, a photo update of the area would be good, I know nothing is happening yet, but it's always good to get the before pictures in, so we can appriciate the change in the future. :banana:

#14 ·
Can and will do. Give me about a fortnight.

I really like Brighton think the Mall upgrade is good too. Im not for malls being turned into roads but this one works for me. The amount of times Ive stopped and bought something from a shop because of the ease of parking just outside... used to just drive past and buy my icecreams and coke elsewhere. Mall just needs a few more nicer retailers. Thats a tough one though because this area is in easy reach of The Palms and Eastgate Malls. You can get good coffee at Brighton now.

#15 ·
What sort of scale is the redevelopment of New Brighton likely to be are we talking $100 million worth of construction or up to $1 billion. One report said there were likely to be more highrises in New Brighton than in the Christchurch Cbd. If that is the case then it is potentially going to be quite significant.:lol:

#16 ·
I think alot of original Christchurch residents wouldnt dream of moving out to Brighton. They have an idea about it which is partially true but also a little bit out of date as being an area for no hopers or the permanently unemployed. Honestly if I didnt have such a central city bias I would easily live in Brighton. I expect it will take off- they need to be very careful about it and make sure all of the initial projects are good ones. Otherwise they will be jeopardizing potential revitalisation.

#18 ·
All is very quiet on this MAJOR development potential.

I have just downloaded the city plan for the next 10 years. It is a large doc, it may have something in it telling us what the councils plan is.

You can download it of the CCC website. There is a link Tony on the top right hand corners I think......

#19 ·
In today's press. A decision has been made to increase height limits. It wants to attract more people so that it can revitalise the flagging seaside suburb. Apartments along Marine Parade will be up to 20 metres while some commercial buildings maybe upto 30 metres. Great news for New Brighton.:cheers::banana:

#20 ·
Good news - this whole development seems to have gone of the boil. Hopefully we are about to get a kick start on development.................better go and read the article :banana:

#22 ·
Central New Brighton height change

2 June 2009

A City Plan Change that aims to encourage redevelopment in central New Brighton has been adopted by the Christchurch City Council following an independent commissioner’s report and recommendations.

Plan Change 27, which allows increased building height restrictions in central New Brighton, received the support of Commissioner David McMahon. His recommendations, which included some amendments, were adopted by the Council following the receipt of his report at yesterday's Council meeting.

The Plan Change alters the zoning within parts of central New Brighton to allow for an increase in residential density through increased permitted building heights, while minimising the potential for adverse environmental effects. New rules on the design and appearance of buildings and wind effects are also part of the Plan change.

The change raises the current permitted building height limit from 11 metres to 15 or 20 metres for residential buildings in Marine Parade between Rawhiti Domain and Shackleton Street. The 20 metre height limit for commercial buildings will be raised to 30 metre for a small area opposite the library.

The Plan Change has the two-fold purpose of encouraging redevelopment in the suburb centre while improving the design and appearance standard in the New Brighton area.

Mr McMahon’s recommended amendments were also adopted. They were: Limiting administrative and retail activities in an area along the foreshore rezoned by the plan change as Open Space 2 to those that are accessory to recreation and community activities; increasing the permitted height limit in the Living 3 zone at New Brighton from 14m to 15m with a proviso that there are no more than five storeys above ground; including an exemption to the residential site density rule for the Living 3 zone at New Brighton that allows balconies and decks up to 20m2 in area to be excluded from the calculation of the residential floor area ratio.

Following a series of initiatives including the New Brighton Master Plan in 2002 and the New Brighton Residential Density Study in 2005, the Council in 2006 began a review of the City Plan provisions for central New Brighton investigating the potential for, and possible impacts of, an increase in building height and residential density.

Technical reports were commissioned to look at a range of potential environmental effects that might result from an increase in building scale and residential density in the study area, and community consultation was undertaken.

Based on the findings of the various reports and feedback from the community a package of recommended changes to existing provisions was considered at Council seminars and by the Community Board in late 2006-early 2007.

The Council initiated a plan change to the City Plan which was publicly notified in July 2007. The Council received 206 submissions and 132 further submissions, and these were heard by Mr McMahon last year.

The Council’s decision is now open for appeal to the Environment Court.

The Commissioner’s full report is available on the Council website at www.ccc.govt.nz/CityPlan/ProposedPlanChange27/ or from the Council’s Tuam Street Civic Office from Tuesday 2 June

#23 ·
Just read this today in the Star. Good news. I think we all agree it might take a year or two before the first proposal is launched.

So we are all in agreement its a good step. Even a handful of midrises that bring upwards of 500 residents can only be a good thing for Brighton.

I look forward to the nimby 'Surfers Paradise' argument. Surfers Paradise? We will be lucky if it resembles Mooloolaba. Bring it.

#24 ·
^^Just that hight and style (which is all average) would transform New Brighton beyond all belief!

#30 · (Edited)
Yep mate. A few developments like that out there and I would seriously consider leaving the cbd.
I'm always mulling over whether to move there from Riccarton if I ever shift house. (I don't need hi-rises to tempt me either.)

What I'd miss the most:
Hell Pizza. (Specifically, the Sinister. Spaglimi's don't do a cheese-less pizza by default.)
My big Countdown. (NB one is too small.)

I'd take South of India (Pierside building) over anything on Riccarton Road. Fried stuff is blah, but the curries are good and it's so cheap. $12 gets you a vegetarian curry with rice, a naan (which last time was 1.5 naans), samosa, large bhaji, and drink (dine in, lunch time). This one is better than Manchester St.

#26 ·
Mooloolaba is only 3-4 km from Kawana. The plans for Brighton wouldn't be too dissimilar if we are to go by the recent articles. Previous proposals have envisioned a larger cluster of highrises than the Christchurch cbd. A funpark was also mooted in previous proposals. While Brighton beach will never set the world on fire the way Mooloolaba beach does, it will probably offer a far more vibrant atmosphere more akin to somewhere like Saint Kilda in Melbourne. It sounds very much like they want to transform Brighton into being the once iconic place it once was.:banana::banana:

#27 ·
Bid to lift pier's image

Community champion Tim Sintes is on a mission to promote the pier and lift the image of New Brighton.

The newly elected chairman of the Pier Liaison Group said it was time New Brighton started making the most of its unique asset.

"It's something we've got that no one else has got," he said. "It's a focal point, a stage."

The liaison group was formed earlier this year and involves members from a number of relevant community organisations. A number of goals had already been set at its second meeting held last month, said Mr Sintes.

These include organising regular events around the pier such as surfing competitions, family fishing days, festivals and a summer programme.

He said the group was also looking into the possibility of creating a separate area or level on the pier for fishermen, to avoid casting overhead.
However, economic pressures meant the idea was only "on the wish list" at this stage.

The group will also ensure the pier is maintained, liaise with those who frequently use it and resolve any problems that come up.

Having lived in New Brighton and working off the coast as a commercial fisherman his whole life, Mr Sintes remained passionate about the area.

"The people, the atmosphere - it's an exciting place." As a resident, he has been involved in a number of community groups. He was a member of both the North New Brighton Residents Association for eight years and is now in the Southshore Residents Association. He is also a long-time member of the New Brighton Longboarders.

During the 1990s, Mr Sintes was vice president of the Pier and Foreshore Society for five years.

He said he would like to see a revival of the same community spirit that saw New Brighton raise almost $2million to rebuild the demolished pier.

In 2007, Mr Sintes was elected as a member of the Burwood-Pegasus Community Board, where he remains deputy chairman.

#31 ·
Beachside businesses booming

New Brighton businesses want to lure quake-hit city traders to relocate in the beachside strip.

Cafes and other local businesses were being urged to stay open for the annual fireworks display at the pier on November 5 to showcase an emerging cafe culture, galleries and buskers.

On September 30, little more than three weeks after the earthquake, Christchurch property magnate Antony Gough, the brains behind the Oxford Terrace bar strip, bought seven buildings in the New Brighton beach zone.

He said the acquisitions, six in the beachside mall and one on Marine Parade, underscored his level of confidence in the area.

``There's huge opportunity out there with some rentals under $10,000 a year. It’s going to be tremendous this summer and $4 billion is be pumped into the Canterbury economy from the quake. For the next five years a continuous supply of money is coming in, so I see this as an amazing opportunity.’’

He believes the new business group in New Brighton is on to it.

Strategies to persuade businesses to consider New Brighton were floated at a ‘think tank’ last night organised by the fledgling New Brighton Business Association.

Connect Cafe owner Ben Fairweather said the fireworks show drew thousands and was the ideal springboard for the campaign launch.

‘‘We’'ve got open retail space down here and we’d love to more people to check it out,’’ he said. ‘‘A lot of people are sick of the indoor corporate mall thing.

``We are open-air, personal and friendly, with some really good niche market operations.’’ Shabby properties and tagging were being targeted in the multi-pronged initiative.

``The business lobby intended to press the Christchurch City Council to put the hard word on some property owners to spruce up their buildings.''

Nick Mooney opened a Quiksilver factory outlet, part of the Australian surf gear chain, in May last year. ‘‘

``It's humming. We've exceeded all expectations as to how well our outlet model has worked here in our first full financial year.’’ he said. ‘‘We got such a good deal compared with leasing in town, Auckland and Australia; we’re number one or number two now for business.''

Quiksilver's national manager ‘‘couldn't believe how much talk the New Brighton outlet was getting in Australia’’, Mr Mooney said. ‘

Ad Feedback

``Having lived in Melbourne, it would only take a couple good products and good brands opening up here, for people to sit up and take notice’’.

The company was involved with local surf clubs and would sponsor the first New Zealand sand castle competition there next March.

The business association was the idea of Nikki Griffin, co-owner of Bin Inn Wholefoods & Speciality Groceries, which had traded there for two years.

``We're not disappointed,’’'' she said. ‘‘The support is huge for business here. It's an eco-place and there was no quake damage.’’

Local artist Lyn Taylor, whose works had been commissioned from Australia and the US, said the clean-up, new cafes, business and arts initiatives signalled change.

G
#32 ·
Council approves master plans for New Brighton and Edgeware

The Christchurch City Council has approved the development of master plans to support the recovery and rebuild of New Brighton and Edgeware’s suburban shopping centres. Mike Theelen, General Manager Strategy and Planning says master plans will help build investor and business confidence and will assist communities to develop a long-term vision for their centre. “Master plans will help give property and business owners and residents a ‘big picture’ or frame work that will help them understand how their ideas fit into the rebuild of the area, and identify ways to attract people back to a centre. “The master plan will provide a ‘guide’ for the community so they can set goals and prioritise what they want to work on or develop. This will, in turn, enable the Council to make decisions based on community priorities,” he says. Mayor Bob Parker says “This is exciting news for the people in these suburbs, especially New Brighton as it is the first master plan to be developed for a key shopping centre in this part of the city.

It will give locals a much needed morale boost.” In June 2011, the Council approved a programme of work to support the recovery and rebuild of more than 60 earthquake-damaged suburban commercial centres across the city. The vast majority of these centres are in the case management workstream. The Suburban Centres Programme features two streams of work; one stream focuses on the development of ‘master plans’ for some of the worst affected shopping centres, and the other stream involves the appointment of ‘case managers’ to other affected centres that may require assistance with planning their rebuild. The Suburban Centres Programme is well underway, with case managers assigned to earthquake-affected suburban centres and master plans being developed for six centres.

The master plan programme began with Lyttelton and Sydenham, followed by the commercial areas centred around Stanmore Road/Worcester Street (Linwood Village) and the Selwyn Street shops. Master plans for Ferry Road/Main Road and Sumner Village Centre are now underway. A further six centres were identified as possible contenders for future master plans: Aranui, Beckenham, Edgeware, Linwood (Eastgate), New Brighton and Woolston. For these centres, further investigations have been undertaken to determine whether a master plan or continued case management is the most appropriate approach. Following discussion with local community boards, Edgeware and New Brighton were recommended for master plans. All affected centres are being ‘case managed’ to encourage good outcomes and provide support for landowners who may need to interact with different sections of the Council and other organisations.

G
#33 ·
New Brighton Centre master planning attracts locals

More than 200 people visited the Christchurch City Council-led New Brighton Centre master planning sessions to share their ideas on the recovery and rebuild of their local centre. Programme Manager District Planning Brigitte de Ronde says the local community really came out in force to put forward their ideas and suggestions. “We were thrilled at the number of people who turned-out to have their say. The quality of information and ideas that came through will really help the next phase of the master planning – the ‘design element’ where ideas and suggestions are discussed and tested. “Ideas included building designs that reflect the seaside character of New Brighton and the idea of creating a better connection to the seafront. Improved connections with car parking areas and better pedestrian spaces such as wider footpaths and places to socialise also featured.

“There were some surprises such as a walking track across the dunes, and an outdoor drive-thru cinema,” she says. Mayor Bob Parker says it is no surprise the community came together for this master planning exercise. “The response from community leaders, government agencies, residents, community groups and other organisations has been tremendous and is a positive step forward for this centre. “While New Brighton is undoubtedly facing some big issues such as a reduction in the local population due to red zoning, local people really value the unique life style on offer in this seaside suburb, and are determined to contribute to its rebuild and recovery. This master plan will provide a robust vision for the future of this centre that will attract people to visit, shop and make their homes here,” he says.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.