daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Low-Rise

Low-Rise projects with ten floors or less

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:00 PM   #1
choon

Likes (Received): 31

STARHILL GALLERY | Kuala Lumpur ( Jalan Bukit Bintang ) | 6 fl | Shopping Mall | Completed ( 1995 )

Anyone knows about latest news of Starhill? I saw a very very huge poster surrounded the front of the mall and all the visitors have to use the JW Marriot in order to go in....Saw this from the huge poster: "David Rockwell gallery New York..for retail space pls call 02-XXXXXXXX"

choon
choon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:39 PM   #2
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by choon
Anyone knows about latest news of Starhill? I saw a very very huge poster surrounded the front of the mall and all the visitors have to use the JW Marriot in order to go in....Saw this from the huge poster: "David Rockwell gallery New York..for retail space pls call 02-XXXXXXXX"

choon

yea......Starhill Centre is now under renovation after Tangs closed shop. So I guess the new space are gonna be designed by David Rockwell - a very famous architect & interior designer which created many wonderful interior architecture and interior design of retails spaces and restaurants in NYC.

That is not a poster lah .....it is a huge 'divider' that covers the entire Starhill entrance with the information pasted on it. It is done in the past few days as they are still doing the division work when I last saw it day before yesterday. You not anly could access Starhill Centre via JW Mariott but also thru the Jalan Walter Granier entrance ( where Santidos Tapas is....at the lower end of Bintang Steps)

To know more about David Rockwell go to his website and you could see all his fantastic work: www.rockwellgroup.com
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:22 AM   #3
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong
yea......Starhill Centre is now under renovation after Tangs closed shop. So I guess the new space are gonna be designed by David Rockwell - a very famous architect & interior designer which created many wonderful interior architecture and interior design of retails spaces and restaurants in NYC.

That is not a poster lah .....it is a huge 'divider' that covers the entire Starhill entrance with the information pasted on it. It is done in the past few days as they are still doing the division work when I last saw it day before yesterday. You not anly could access Starhill Centre via JW Mariott but also thru the Jalan Walter Granier entrance ( where Santidos Tapas is....at the lower end of Bintang Steps)

To know more about David Rockwell go to his website and you could see all his fantastic work: www.rockwellgroup.com
his designs look interesting. can't wait how will starhill look like

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:02 PM   #4
THT-United
APPLES + SCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 153

Now that Tangs has closed shop, who will be the new anchor? Hoping for someone new, who has no other outlet anywhere in Malaysia or better still, in any part of Asia, yet...

These may include Harrod's, Harvey Nichols, David Jones, Macy's New York etc...
THT-United no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:57 AM   #5
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLié-SJ33
Now that Tangs has closed shop, who will be the new anchor? Hoping for someone new, who has no other outlet anywhere in Malaysia or better still, in any part of Asia, yet...

These may include Harrod's, Harvey Nichols, David Jones, Macy's New York etc...

There is a small Harrod's at KLIA ....hehehe

......anyway I personally am hoping to see the likes of Harrod's, Macy's NYC and Saks 5th Ave there....
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:47 AM   #6
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 8

Maybe Giant will be the new anchor at StarHill!
baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:21 AM   #7
ZaHiRnYa???
you are you and i am me..

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by baqthier
Maybe Giant will be the new anchor at StarHill!
Oh no...please don't . Jusco will be a better choice mah...
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:17 AM   #8
D_Y2k.2^

Likes (Received): 96

Aiks!Maybe something should be something even better la!Like SIngapore's Takashimaya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
D_Y2k.2^ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:36 PM   #9
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

No Japanese dept stores please! (not even Takashimaya because they are similar to Jusco lah) ....and DEFINITELY NO to Giant!

ANyway I believe that Tan Sri Francis Yeoh wouldn't allow anything short of what I've mentioned like Harrod's, Macy's NYC and Saks 5th Ave as these are all 'super high-class' stuffs

Maybe there isn't gonna be an anchor tenant afterall as the place I think they are renaming it to Starhill Gallery or something.....meaning there are more boutique stalls and some very expensive stuffs!

But I believe by hiring David Rockwell........we could have some of the 'glitters' of NYC here in KL!!!
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #10
THT-United
APPLES + SCRAPERS

Tan Sri Yeoh will never allow "normal-class" outlets like Giant to open in a high-end mall like Starhill ... Besides, Giant's name seems so out of place when put together with Shooks!, Louis Vuitton, Bally, JW Marriott Hotel etc :bleh: ...

If assuming there is going to be an anchor, i hope that Harrod's opens its MY flagship store there! Galeries Lafayette Paris is also another good choice...

Btw, has any1 been able to get pix of the interior of Starhill yet?
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:43 AM   #11
D_Y2k.2^

Yeah!Star Hill is one of the most posh shopping complex la....
Any idea when is it due to complete?
D_Y2k.2^ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #12
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

How is it going guys?

Some works by David Rockwell

Old August 4th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #13
THT-United
APPLES + SCRAPERS

Wow, David Rockwell's interior designs are fantastic! These are very suitable for a posh complex like starhill...

Complements the Shook's! restaurant perfectly...
Old October 6th, 2004, 04:10 AM   #14
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

YTL giving Starhill a facelift

By HANIM ADNAN

YTL Land Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of YTL Corp Bhd, is seeking to reposition the Starhill Shopping Centre in Kuala Lumpur as one of Asia's top-notch retail destinations with a facelift slated for completion by March next year.

“Our plans for Starhill are simple,” said YTL Corp managing director Tan Sri Dr Francis Yeoh. “We are giving it a new personality and identity, labelling it as a landmark of taste and style ... as KL's ultimate statement in fashion, art, beauty, food and living.”

He said that on completion of the massive renovation, Starhill would be relaunched with a brand new look and identity featuring a cutting-edge environment that would ensure Kuala Lumpur remained a “must” on every tourist's list of places to visit.

Tan Sri Dr Francis Yeoh with a model of the Ritz-Carlton Residences.

Unlike the conventional shopping environment, the new Starhill would feature five themed floors, each offering a different experience – Feast, Indulge, Explore, Pamper and Muse, he told reporters at a preview of the new Starhill in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

Yeoh said: “The only way we can continue to ride on and build on the success story of Starhill and Bintang Walk is to constantly re-innovate and re-engineer.

“As a shopping centre that wants to have a staying power and strong international visibility, Starhill needs to stamp its mark on the local retail industry as an icon and a trendsetter.”

However, Yeoh was quick to point out that the repositioning of Starhill was not “just an intelligent investment”.

“It is an acknowledgment of our responsibility to build up the entire Bukit Bintang area and we have chosen to hire the best to communicate that passion and commitment,” he said, referring to brand director Interbrand, iconic building designer David Rockwell, and architecture firm B&N.

He said that as part of the YTL group's initiatives to continue developing the Bintang Walk, a connecting walkway had been put in place linking Starhill to The Ritz Carlton Kuala Lumpur and the The Ritz Carlton Residence project, which is under construction. The whole project, including the facelift for Starhill, will cost RM220mil.

“These serviced residences will be the yardstick by which other exclusive properties are measured,” Yeoh said.

The Ritz Carlton Residence, part of a worldwide network of high-end urban homes and the only one of its kind in Asia, is due for completion in March next year.

The Bintang Walk area includes two of KL's most upmarket shopping malls (Lot 10 and Starhill), two five-star hotels (the JW Marriot Kuala Lumpur and The Ritz-Carlton Kuala Lumpur) and a wide mix of dining and entertainment spots.

On another note, Yeoh said YTL Corp is in the midst of appointing a merchant bank to advise on the possible launch of real estate investment trusts (REITs) for the group in the near term.

“If we are going to launch REITs, we need to have a YTL name behind it,” he said.

He said YTL group was optimistic that both its shopping complexes – the new-look Starhill Shopping Complex and Lot 10 – would be able to beat the global average of REITs return on yield of 6%.

“I hope to get between 7% and 8% yield from our new tenants that came about from our Starhill restructuring and Lot 10,” Yeoh said.
Old October 9th, 2004, 04:06 AM   #15
D_Y2k.2^

Great news...really hope the design will be a master peace!Can;t wait till it completes
Old October 9th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #16
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Five themed floors at new-look Starhill soon

By CHOW HOW BAN

STARHILL Shopping Centre in Bukit Bintang will sport a new identity when it is relaunched early next year.

The shopping centre, which was opened to the public in September 1995, promises a cutting-edge environment that celebrates the latest and best in fashion, art, food, beauty and living.

The new Starhill will offer five themed floors, namely Feast, Indulge, Explore, Pamper and Muse, encapsulating different experiences for each floor. Feast is where you can find world-class cuisine and a display of culinary skills; Indulge will house elegant and stylish fashion, watch and jewellery brands.

Yeoh (centre) and his guests touring the new skybridge that links Starhill to The Ritz Carlton Kuala Lumpur and The Ritz-Carlton Residences.

Explore offers trendy fashion, accessories and furnishing brands and Pamper is dedicated to a myriad of beauty and health brands.

Finally, Muse promises everything related to arts, ranging from fine arts, theatre, ballet and music to opera.

At present, the shopping centre has Louis Vuitton, Christian Dior, Gianni Versace, Fendi, Hugo Boss, B&O Showroom, Melium Designers' For Less, DKNY, Raoul, Jaeger-Le Coultre, Cortina Watch Espace Boutique, Art Colony and many more.

To make the shopping centre more shopper-friendly, YTL Land Sdn Bhd has hired iconic designer David Rockwell of New York, USA, to instil the elegance of nature into the building.

Pillars at the centre will become sculptural forms while the exterior elevation of the building will be visible with flagship stores.

Besides that, a walkway linking Starhill to The Ritz Carlton Kuala Lumpur and The Ritz-Carlton Residences has already been put in place. (The Ritz-Carlton Residences, a service apartment, is expected to be open in March next year)

At a preview of the new shopping centre, YTL Corp Bhd managing director Tan Sri Dr Francis Yeoh said the only way for the company to continue to ride on the success story of Starhill and Bintang Walk was to constantly re-innovate and re-engineer.

“We are giving Starhill a new personality. We are labelling it as a landmark of taste and style, where the tenants will double up as arbiters of style, making it a definite stopover for anyone on the Asian shopping trail,” he said.

He added that the repositioning of the shopping centre was not only about intelligent investment.

“It is an acknowledgement of our responsibility of building and making the whole of Bukit Bintang grow,” he said.
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #17
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Any latest pics?
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #18
Blabbyboy
Melbourne Zealot

Likes (Received): 2

i went in just recently because i was staying nearby but i'm not sure whether the interior has been redesigned already or whether this is the old look. at the moment, the bars, restaurants, etc look very stylish indeed. there are also some innovative sculptures of people inside like the backpackers reading the newspaper on the floor - is that old or new? if it's redesigned, i would say that it is relatively conservative redesign.
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #19
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabbyboy
i went in just recently because i was staying nearby but i'm not sure whether the interior has been redesigned already or whether this is the old look. at the moment, the bars, restaurants, etc look very stylish indeed. there are also some innovative sculptures of people inside like the backpackers reading the newspaper on the floor - is that old or new? if it's redesigned, i would say that it is relatively conservative redesign.
Nope....whatever you've seen are all old (most of em 6/7 years old). The sculpture reading newspaper on the floor had been there since 6 years ago. This is the second time they are redesigning the entire place in just 9 years! (first was about 5/6 years back) The mall first opened sometime in Sept 1995

They are now redoing the interior for certain floors and the space where Tangs used to be. That would be the first phase. I believe other areas would gradually be done.

Latest: I saw em removing the dome at the front entrance! Hope they are putting something nice there!
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:47 AM   #20
Blabbyboy
Melbourne Zealot

Likes (Received): 2

i see - so fast already refurbishing! maybe because lost anchor.