daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old February 18th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #1
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 158

Seattle Population and Demographics Thread

The Census Bureau has announced that Washington will be released next week!

Expect lots of random facts and maps from me to be posted here.

Last edited by bgwah; October 28th, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 18th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #2
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

One random fact is that I'll be counted as a resident of the city of Everett even though it's not true anymore.
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #3
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 162

Can't wait!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #4
pwalker

Likes (Received): 6

Predictions: WA will be in the top10 in percentage increase, mainly due to a slowing down in places like Florida, Arizona, and California. Seattle will increase. Hispanics will increase. Tri-Cities will show huge gains from 2000.
Of course, all this can be found in the 2009 estimates, which are usually mostly accurate.
Another question: When will WA pass 7 million? It won't happen this cencus, but I predict mid-2010's it will happen, barring unforseen events.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #5
bgwah
honk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Predictions: WA will be in the top10 in percentage increase, mainly due to a slowing down in places like Florida, Arizona, and California. Seattle will increase. Hispanics will increase. Tri-Cities will show huge gains from 2000.
Of course, all this can be found in the 2009 estimates, which are usually mostly accurate.
Another question: When will WA pass 7 million? It won't happen this cencus, but I predict mid-2010's it will happen, barring unforseen events.
Well, the census actually already released statewide population numbers for all fifty states---but they're releasing more specific data (racial breakdowns, county/city/block populations, etc) much more slowly. Washington grew 12th fastest, as measured by its percentage increase.
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #6
pwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgwah View Post
Well, the census actually already released statewide population numbers for all fifty states---but they're releasing more specific data (racial breakdowns, county/city/block populations, etc) much more slowly. Washington grew 12th fastest, as measured by its percentage increase.
I don't dispute your stats, but frankly I can't find anything on the web to support this. Please share your source so I can understand.

As of 2009, WA was #8 in percentage growth. Falling to #12 is possible, but I find it a little hard to believe since other states have had more difficult times what with foreclosures, etc. Again, I am not disputing, but just looking for accurate stats.

Bottom line, WA continues to be one of the fastest growing states over the past decade. I think the lack of extreme gains/losses help in this regard.
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #7
bgwah
honk!!!

Quote:
I don't dispute your stats, but frankly I can't find anything on the web to support this. Please share your source so I can understand.

As of 2009, WA was #8 in percentage growth. Falling to #12 is possible, but I find it a little hard to believe since other states have had more difficult times what with foreclosures, etc. Again, I am not disputing, but just looking for accurate stats.

Bottom line, WA continues to be one of the fastest growing states over the past decade. I think the lack of extreme gains/losses help in this regard.
http://2010.census.gov/2010census/da...t-pop-text.php

Wikipedia also has a nice sortable table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Census#State_rankings
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #8
geoffloftus

Likes (Received): 1062

I do notice that WA was 8th in terms of numerical change
geoffloftus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #9
AzChristopher

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:

You have to remember that the percentage of growth is based on 2000 to 2010. Yes states like Arizona, Florida, and Nevada have slowed down compared to 2008 but it isn't like everyone left either.
AzChristopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #10
pwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgwah View Post
OK, thanks. I'm not sure why I was having such a difficult time finding that info.

Yes, AZ, FL, NV all show strong growth for the decade despite the past couple years.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:53 AM   #11
bgwah
honk!!!

The folks down in Olympia got the full data today. It will probably be made available to the public tomorrow. Get ready.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:59 AM   #12
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

I'm gonna make a guess, just for the heck of it.

City of Everett will have . . . 107,288 ppl.

Let's see how close I get.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:38 AM   #13
bgwah
honk!!!

I'll guess 104,100 for Everett...

I'll be interested to see the racial changes in Seattle. Estimates suggest it actually might have gotten whiter. The Asian numbers on the Eastside will also be fun.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:44 AM   #14
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 212

Most major cities around the nation have had an influx of whites again. I also notice a big difference in my Kirkland neighborhood where I grew up. There are considerably more diverse families on my street alone. Mainly Hispanic and Asian.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM   #15
bgwah
honk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlelife View Post

Most major cities around the nation have had an influx of whites again. I also notice a big difference in my Kirkland neighborhood where I grew up. There are considerably more diverse families on my street alone. Mainly Hispanic and Asian.
Yeah... but they're often cities that lost a ton of white people in the past, like DC. Seattle is still one of the whitest major cities in the country, 2nd after Portland I think, so it would be notable if whites actually made up a larger % of the population.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:28 PM   #16
bgwah
honk!!!

It looks like Seattle has 608,660 people. The OFM was, as expected, pretty close... The Census estimates, not so much.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:55 PM   #17
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 534

Had, as of 4/1/10. Even then, the Census has a margin of error, which we'll get a clue about when they release their own analysis.
mhays está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:14 PM   #18
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 162

Heard King County has nearby 2 million residents... King County could reach 2 million residents maybe this year or next year depending on its growth rate.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #19
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 534

No chance of that. At a new count of 1,931,259 and 10-year growth of 194,295, it would take 3-4 years at typical growth rates from 4/1/10.
mhays está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 01:38 AM   #20
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

The new Census factfinder website is about the most un-intuitive and bizarre thing they could have possibly invented. I keep trying to get it to show me the population of Everett, but all I can figure out how to do is add the city to my "Geography filter," for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it to actually *show* the data.