daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:43 PM   #1
odlum833

Likes (Received): 551

Ireland has highest population growth in Europe

Quote:
Ireland's population 'growing strongly'

[Posted: Thu 30/06/2011 by Deborah Condon www.irishhealth.com]

Ireland's population is growing strongly, primarily due to the high number of babies being born, preliminary results from the April census have revealed.

According to the preliminary findings, the population of Ireland on the night of April 10, 2011, was 4,581,269, an increase of over 340,000 people since the 2006 census.

This represents an increase of 8.1% over the past five years, or an annual average of 1.6%, compared to 2% per annum in the period 2002-2006.

The results note that the population change varied widely across the country, with the highest percentage increase in Laois - at 20% - which was more than twice the rate for the State as a whole.

Other counties showing strong population growth were Cavan (13.9%), Fingal (13.8%), Longford (13.3%), Meath (13.0%) and Kildare (12.7%).

As in 2002-2006, Cork City and Limerick City were the only two of the 34 administrative counties in the State to register a fall in population during the 2006-2011 period.

All counties experienced positive natural increase (births minus deaths) in the period 2006-2011, with the rates highest in Fingal, South Dublin, Kildare and Meath. The counties with the lowest rates of natural increase were Cork City, Roscommon and Mayo.

Meanwhile, in a reversal of the situation in 2006, when there were slightly more males than females, there are now more females than males in the country, with 981 males for every 1,000 females.

On a regional basis, Dublin showed the lowest ratio with only 949 males for every 1,000 females, while the Midland region was the only region to show more males than females with 1,002 for every 1,000.

The CSO emphasised that for now, only headcount totals for males and females are available. Scanning and processing of the two million census forms has begun and the first definitive results are due to be published in March, 2012.

"These early results are based on the summary counts for each enumeration area which were compiled by the 4,854 enumerators. It is very important to us that we produce early results so that the Irish public can make the connection between the census form they filled out only a couple of months ago and the important statistics that are available as a result," commented CSO statistician, Shaun McLaughlin.

This is very interesting. The birth rate now stands at 2.1 which leaves Ireland somewhat strange in the EU. The population is getting younger. Also the figures poor a huge amount of boiling water on claims that so many people are leaving the country. According to the CSO these statistics pretty much rubbish those claims even though a larger outflow does exist. It is not of the magnitude that was claimed. In fact there are over 100,000 more people in this country then had been anticipated if migration reports were to be believed.

It's good news as it means future demand for services and housing should be strong.

Statistics and breakdown of areas can be found here

http://www.cso.ie/census/2011_preliminaryreport.htm

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Last edited by odlum833; July 3rd, 2011 at 07:54 PM.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM   #2
Viking74

Likes (Received): 25

The population of Dublin is now 1.27 million. Not good to hear that Cork city and Limerick city have continued to see reductions in their populations. This needs to be addressed as a priority by the city councils.

Welfare benefits are still very generous in this country and many people know this. This must have some bearing on the fact that many people have chosen to stay here, despite possibly losing their jobs.
Viking74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:11 PM   #3
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking74 View Post
The population of Dublin is now 1.27 million. Not good to hear that Cork city and Limerick city have continued to see reductions in their populations. This needs to be addressed as a priority by the city councils.

Welfare benefits are still very generous in this country and many people know this. This must have some bearing on the fact that many people have chosen to stay here, despite possibly losing their jobs.

Cork/Limerick = population moving out to suburbs. It's not as bad as it seems because the cities still "have the use" of that population. But yeah it cannot be good for the city center in terms of local vitality if there are less people living there.

I also heard they were going to expand the boundaries of Limerick by stealing a bit of Co Clare. I wonder is that going to go ahead?

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Viking74

I think there was war over that proposal to extend Limerick city's boundary. People living in County Clare didn't like the fact that they would now be living in Limerick! County politics and all that
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:22 PM   #5
odlum833

Limerick/Clare - what's the difference? If it was not for GAA I am fairly sure Clare people would not care what county they belong to.

Maybe they could just merge the two counties together - Co Clarelimerick....best of both worlds.

I would also be a strong advocate of subsuming Counties Kildare, Meath and Wicklow into Dublin. They are full of exiled Dublin people anyway.

Last edited by odlum833; July 3rd, 2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Viking74

GAA is a very powerful force in parts of the country Whatever about the Limerick/Clare situation ,surely there's more of case in extending Cork's city boundary into Cork county. Surely a city with a larger population within it's city limits would help raise it's profile and help it compete with other centres for inward investment etc. Which sounds better ? (Cork pop. 118,000 or Cork pop. 250,000)?
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:50 PM   #7
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Likes (Received): 56

Ireland will catch Scotland at this rate!

Nice to see both countries doing well now after so much decline for years - is most of Ireland's current growth concentrated around Dublin?

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:09 PM   #8
odlum833

The projection for the 26 counties is over 5 million by 2020. Scotland's population is almost 5.2 million. But population growth is almost static (although it is growing slowly) and has been for quite a while now. You would have to reckon that by 2025 at the latest the population here would be higher then in Scotland unless something radical happens and the people start breeding like rabbits. Which is possible.

Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:18 PM   #9
Viking74

There is a definitely a baby boom here at the moment. The last baby boom here was during 1970- 1980, and these people are now having kids - especially in my office judging by the amount of little brats and newborns that are brought into the office regularly for inspection ;-) (joking)
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Conor

Likes (Received): 28

Great news! Hopefully the whole island will be back to having over 8m people in the next 50yrs
Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:01 PM   #11
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 32

Most intersting stat is definitely that there was net inward migration of 24,000 per annum, which goes against everything we've been hearing. When you consider that most of those that have left were eastern europeans it suggests that many Irish are staying at home on welfare.

Another interesting stat was that 25% of children born in the state were born to non-Irish parents, which makes for a more interesting future!!!
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #12
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 195

To say that we still have net immigration would be wrong, I'd imagine. 2006 and 2007 both had very high net immigration while from 2008 on it would have declined and probably now is net emigration. The 24,000 figure is the average over the five years. Still, the fact that the population is 100,000 higher than the CSO expected says a lot about the scale of emigration (i.e. it's over-exaggerated).

The baby boom figures are encouraging, though - as long as we're able to provide the proper public services for all of these kids!

Regarding Cork and Limerick's populations, the reason they have declined is that both 'city' boundaries are incredibly small (like 'Dublin City', which only has around 525,000 people). The real figures to look at will be the continuous urban area figures when they're released (Cork should be around 200,000; Limerick 100,000; and Dublin 1.1 million). In my view all local government boundaries need to be reviewed and we should replace county and city councils with regional councils around major towns and cities and municipalities below them (like most other European countries).

The Northern Ireland census results should be out soon. The entire island's population is probably around the 6.4-6.5 million mark now.
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:53 AM   #13
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmalojin View Post
To say that we still have net immigration would be wrong, I'd imagine.

Not wrong - 62,000 new PPS numbers for immigrants issued last year. What does that tell you?

Old July 4th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #14
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Not wrong - 62,000 new PPS numbers for immigrants issued last year. What does that tell you?
That's down from over 200,000 in 2006; in all likelihood more than 62,000 left the country last year too (hence, net emigration).
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #15
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
Great news! Hopefully the whole island will be back to having over 8m people in the next 50yrs
It's difficult to even begin to imagine what would have happened population wise in both Ireland and Scotland had two historical events not taken place (I mean that in a purely statistical, unbitter way) - I read somewhere that Ireland would have had a population over around 20 million, if not more, and Scotland closer to 15 million. All extremely hypothetical in my opinion, but quite interesting to think just how much more crowded the islands of Great Britain and Ireland would be in comparison to what they really are today. The population would probably be closer to about 80 million or so by my calculations, similar to that of Germany.

It's great to see Ireland growing well - I had heard (as was pointed out to me again posts previous) that the population is quite static at the moment due to higher levels of emigration from Eire, but hopefully this improves when the Irish economy begins to pick up again, which I truly hope and to a certain level expect, it will.

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #16
Conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLimitation View Post
It's difficult to even begin to imagine what would have happened population wise in both Ireland and Scotland had two historical events not taken place (I mean that in a purely statistical, unbitter way) - I read somewhere that Ireland would have had a population over around 20 million, if not more, and Scotland closer to 15 million.
That would have been amazing! Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dublin, and Belfast would be massive :0 Infact, even the smaller places like Aberdeen, Cork, Inverness, Dundee and Derry would have been the size of places like here & Cardiff- maybe bigger.
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #17
Boba Fett22

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLimitation View Post
I read somewhere that Ireland would have had a population over around 20 million, if not more
Snap! I actually wrote something about it on this site.
Old July 8th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #18
shabadoo
Shabadoo

Likes (Received): 0

No ones going out anymore, so we're all staying in and making babies!
Old July 27th, 2011, 02:54 AM   #19
JD47

Likes (Received): 189

I was reading that they say that over 21 million people could live in Ireland/Northern Ireland.
It actually makes some sence.
Think about it.
Dublin=5 million
Cork=3.8 million
Belfast=4 million
Limerick=1.5 million
Galway=1.9 million
Waterford=1.8 million
The rest of the country could have about 4 million people living in it with all the towns doubling in size but Dublin, Cork and Belfast would have to have super tall buildings for room.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #20
Conor

Wish I was about in about 3 or 400 years time Do you know what Derry's pop would be? It's around 100 000 people now.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: