daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #1
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 107

How do people in skyscraper cities feel about skyscrapers?

Hi all. Azn Man here. I live in the biggest city in my state, Wichita. Even then, Wichita has only about 350,000 people. I have been interested in skyscrapers and supertalls for about 4 years now and wish to become an architect when I grow older.

Obviously, being in a somewhat small city (or at least a very boring one), you don't see many people around here with an interest in skyscrapers like I do. But my question is: do people in the skyscraper cities of the world know much about skyscrapers?

Do people in New York know that the WTC will have 4 towers, 3 of them over a thousand feet tall?

Do Chicagoans know about the Chicago Spire and how it was cancelled?

Do the residents of Shanghai know about the Three Brothers and the rising Shanghai Tower?

Do the ones in Hong Kong know that their beloved International Commerce Center once would've risen over the mountains?

Do the people of Dubai know that they boast more tall buildings than any city in the world?

If you live in one of those cities (or other skyscraper cities like Guangzhou or Shenzhen ), how do your friends and peers feel about skyscrapers? How do they react when you talk about them? Do they care for them on an even close level to how we care for them?
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 11th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Wunderknabe

Likes (Received): 168

Thats indeed an interesting topic. I would like to hear some some skyscraper-citiers opionions on that.

However, I guess its the same like with most people in other cities too: they (the average citizen of course ) don't know much about their city's history and its buildings in detail.

What users in this forum know is already very specialized knowledge.
Wunderknabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #3
azn_man12345

Well maybe not the average citizen in an average city. But I'm sure someone in NY has at least basic knowledge of skyscrapers, no?
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #4
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 4045

most people are ignorant and no nothing about that stuff i think. they may know what they see. so they know about their buildings they have, but for what is rising probably only a bit if they read it in newspaper.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #5
jabroni

Likes (Received): 1

I think most Americans don't know much about anything except pop culture and whatever petty gossip is going on amongst their family/work/friends. Congratulations on being interested in something beyond the Kardashian sisters.

I'm kidding (sort of)

In Boston I don't think people pay too much attention unless there is some sort of threat to their view or they think construction will interupt their normal routine, then they turn into NIMBY's.

Last edited by jabroni; August 12th, 2011 at 10:44 AM.
jabroni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #6
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

I don't like them, skyscrapers are human-unfriendly.
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #7
azn_man12345

And why do believe that?