daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Cast Iron Shaw

Likes (Received): 22

Famous Liverpudlians

Bearing in mind the number of famous people emanating from Liverpool, wouldn't it be good to have a 'Wall of Fame' somewhere prominent in the city where all these people could be recorded for posterity, possibly categorised within their particular area of expertise.
Could start off with, say, the top 10/50/100 by a poll in the local papers and then have one new person elected each year
Interested in general thoughts on this and who would qualify
Cast Iron Shaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 12th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Hans Groover

Likes (Received): 26

They originally planned to have a 'walk of fame' at the Arena, but it fell through. I didn't realise this, but it was then also intended to do it at Mann Island - http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...2534-25801537/ - but again, no dice.
Hans Groover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Adolf Hitler.
Jack the Ripper.
Pete Price.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Cast Iron Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Groover View Post
They originally planned to have a 'walk of fame' at the Arena, but it fell through. I didn't realise this, but it was then also intended to do it at Mann Island - http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...2534-25801537/ - but again, no dice.
Perhaps Liverpool based companies (or individuals)could be persuaded to sponsor a plaque
Old August 12th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 2305

They'd only have the sense to put stereotypical idiots in any walk of fame we had and because of that I'd be right against one.Most real 'greats' are unheard of by the majority,like say Robert Morris for example, a true great but would get blank looks if he was to be included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...28financier%29

I guarantee,it would be all Red Rum and Cilla Black.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Cast Iron Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
They'd only have the sense to put stereotypical idiots in any walk of fame we had and because of that I'd be right against one.Most real 'greats' are unheard of by the majority,like say Robert Morris for example, a true great but would get blank looks if he was to be included.

Paul

Have a degree of sympathy for your view

Thats perhaps why it might be good to have all the 'Entertainers' (of which there would be a majority I guess) and sportspeople in one particular spot and all the less well known (but arguably much more relevant) in separate area

I guess there must be many of the latter category unknown to the city visitors
Old August 12th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #7
Stickymouse
Gangster of Love

Likes (Received): 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Horton_Conway

Not 'famous' but worthy of recognition.
Stickymouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Medici
Beppo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickymouse View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Horton_Conway

Not 'famous' but worthy of recognition.

Good post, I rarely hear of scientists and mathematicians from Liverpool and I'm really sick of hearing about old ham music hall cak entertainers. If we are serious about how others perceive us, we need to show how we are not all corny old muppets, but a variety of people from different walks of life.
Medici no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #9
yoshef
I like beer.

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medici View Post
Good post, I rarely hear of scientists and mathematicians from Liverpool and I'm really sick of hearing about old ham music hall cak entertainers. If we are serious about how others perceive us, we need to show how we are not all corny old muppets, but a variety of people from different walks of life.

here's a few more to look up then...

Jeremiah Horrocks

William Hutchinson
yoshef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Rollingstone Gather

Likes (Received): 36

E.D Morel

Found out some information on this guy, against the fascinating but disturbing background of European annihilation of African people..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congo_Free_State

E. D. Morel, a clerk in a major Liverpool shipping office and a part-time journalist, who began to wonder why the ships that brought vast loads of rubber from the Congo returned full of guns and ammunition for the Force Publique. He left his job and became a full-time investigative journalist and then a publisher with help from merchants who wanted to break Leopold's monopoly or, in the case of chocolate millionaire William Cadbury, philanthropists. Joseph Conrad's novel Heart of Darkness was released in 1902. Based on his brief experience as a steamer captain on the Congo ten years before, Conrad's novel encapsulated the public's growing concerns about what was happening in the Congo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._D._Morel
“If the decision is going to be made by the facts, then everyone’s facts, as long as they are relevant, are equal. If the decision is going to be made on the basis of people’s opinions, then mine count for a lot more". James Barksdale

Is this the right room for an argument?....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y
Rollingstone Gather no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Dingle All The Way

Likes (Received): 55

It doesn't say he was from here though. He just spent some time here because of work.
Dingle All The Way no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #12
urbansubrosa

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

Very true, it would also miss out on the likes of Jesse Hartley, even thou he was from Yorkshire he is very important as the history of Liverpool goes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Hartley
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #13
terryb

Likes (Received): 32

"Mad" Anne Bailey

Heroine of the Kanawha Valley

by Jean M. Hoffman

The story of Anne Bailey's life is interwoven with local folklore, but her place as a pioneer heroine is unquestioned. In 1791 what is today West Virginia was largely unsettled wilderness in the middle of a frontier war between would-be settlers and local Indian tribes. When Fort Lee was threatened with attack and a low supply of ammunition, Anne Bailey, scout and messenger, rode alone through 100 miles of near wilderness to Fort Savannah at Lewisburg and returned with the needed powder to save the fort at Clendenin's Settlement which today is Charleston, West Virginia.

This feat was commemorated in a lengthy 1861 poem, "Anne Bailey's Ride" by Charles Robb. Named for Anne are an elementary school in St. Albans, WV, near Charleston, a chapter of the N.S.D.A.R. and a lookout tower in Watoga State Park. Her remains were moved from Ohio, where she died in 1825, to the Point Pleasant Battle Monument State Park where the museum contains memorabilia of Anne including a design made from her hair.

Born Anne Hennis in Liverpool, England, probably in 1742, she came to the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia when she was about 19 and in 1765 married Richard Trotter, a local settler. When Lord Dunmore called for militia to fight the Indians of the western border in 1774, Richard Trotter enlisted, but was killed on Oct. 10, 1774 at the Battle of Point Pleasant against the forces of Shawnee leader, Cornstalk. This event changed Anne's life completely and she left her son, William Trotter, to the care of others and became a skilled frontier scout, horsewoman, hunter, messenger and storyteller, wearing buckskins, carrying hatchet, knife and long rifle. She married again in 1785 to John Bailey, another frontiersman and army ranger, those forerunners of today's special forces. They moved to Clendenin's Settlement in the Great Kanawha Valley where she would make her famous ride. Her career continued until 1795 and the signing of the Greenville Treaty to end the Indians Wars.

After John Bailey's death about 1802 she made her home with her son but also traveled among her friends and was a welcome storyteller and trader. In 1817 William moved his family across to Gallia County, Ohio, and Anne reluctantly left her beloved "Virginia" to make a home near him, though she traveled still. She died on November 22, 1825 of "old age."

Many fanciful stories have been told about Anne, perhaps of her own origin. Henry Howe missed Anne's story when he wrote his first history of Ohio in the 1840s, but soon learned it in West Virginia. He corrected his oversight in his 1888 revision and retold some of these wild stories. My favorite is one I find unlikely, but which my great grandmother was certain was true. But she learned it from her grandmother, Mary (Trotter) Irion, another noted storyteller, who had it from Anne herself, Mary's grandmother. Mr. Howe recounts it thus:

". . . On one occasion, when she was pursued by Indians, she came to an impenetrable thicket where she was obliged to dismount and leave him [her fine black horse, Liverpool] for their capture. She then crawled into a hollow sycamore log. The Indians came and rested on the log, but without suspecting her concealment within. After they had gone she followed their trail, and in the darkness of night recaptured the animal, and, mounting him, when at a safe distance from being shot or taken gave a shout of defiance and bounded away."

Even without the exaggerated stories, Anne Bailey was a unique and daring woman. She was certainly considered odd or outlandish, but she was also well-liked and respected on the frontier.
terryb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #14
the golden vision

Likes (Received): 833

Annie Oakley eat your heart out
Old December 18th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #15
General Zod returns

Likes (Received): 94

Sonja was on Pointless last night. She made it to the head-to-head. Just thought you would all be really interested to know.
General Zod returns no está en línea   Reply With Quote