daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old February 8th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 389

Interbay Developments

I was walking home via the freight yard trail and noticed a crane where I wouldn't have normally expected to see one. Great to see a multi-unit property going up in Interbay!

And then there's this one, across the street (16th Avenue W). And both right across West Dravus Street from a [somewhat] isolated QFC.

Sponsored Links

Old February 8th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #2
alexjonlin

Likes (Received): 163

That's one of the projects just off Dravus, right?
alexjonlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjonlin View Post
That's one of the projects just off Dravus, right?
Correct.
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 380

The plans on this looked great - I'm glad they're starting. (I noticed the crane too, but from the road so it could have been anything)
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #5
mSeattle

Likes (Received): 44

Any renderings?
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #6
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 115

3040 17th Ave W, the one under construction (I think?) 234 Units:
http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID3216.pdf

and 3036 16th ave W, the one proposed for across the street 118 Units:
http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID3412.pdf

Last edited by BoulderGrad; February 8th, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 724

This thread hasn't had any action for a while, so here goes....

http://www.djc.com/news/co/12041600.html

Interbay's Fire Station 20 will start construction in September
By JOURNAL STAFF

Construction is expected to start in September on the 9,450-square-foot Fire Station 20 in Seattle's Interbay neighborhood.

Schacht|Aslani Architects designed the building, which will be at 15th Avenue West and West Armour Street.

Construction will cost $5.6 million and be completed by January of 2014.

Nakano and Associates is the landscape architect, and Robinson and Co. is the cost estimator. The civil, structural, mechanical and electrical engineering firms are Coughlin Porter Lundeen, Swenson Say Faget Engineers, Hargis Engineers and Travis Fitzmaurice, respectively.

Schacht|Aslani said the station is intended to be a model of sustainability in an industrial neighborhood. It will have a two-apparatus bay station. The kitchen/dining room, dayroom, and training rooms will be on the second floor for daylight and views.

Concrete and masonry walls will retain an adjacent hillside and create terraces that will be planted with vines, shrubs and trees.

A steel-framed second-story will cantilever toward the street, and a corner of the site will have a public plaza and green space with a concrete station marker and a stainless steel sculpture by artist Rob Ley.

The building is targeting LEED platinum and the team will follow the principles of the Architecture 2030 Challenge.

Sustainable components include solar panels on green roofs, geothermal well fields, a super-insulated building envelope, and LED lighting. Exhibits will educate visitors about the energy efficiency of the station.

Funded is from the Fire Facilities and Emergency Response Levy Program that was passed by voters in 2003.

Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #8
shotsy

Likes (Received): 46

Here's the latest design review doc for 3036 16th ave w (Barrett park apartments):

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID3575.pdf

A little bland in my opinion but it's density and will make a big impact.
shotsy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Matt the Engineer

Can't we get anything more interesting at the sidewalk than planter strips? A street wall, some retail, anything? I'm trying to keep optimistic about Interbay being an interesting, walkable neighborhood in 20 years. At least have those live/work spaces abut the sidewalk, to give the occupants the option of a storefront in the future.
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #10
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 401

Horrible spot for retail. Nobody would lease it. Right at Dravus would be ok but this is two blocks south.

Also, the Fire Department would never co-locate retail in one of their buildings. Nor would they want to provide parking for it.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #11
Seasun

Likes (Received): 106

mhays - I think Matt the Engineer's comment was about the housing project just north of the driving range. No mention of SFD getting retail.

Except for facing 15th Ave these apartments have a pretty sweet location being next to sports fields, transit, bike paths and QFC/a few restaurants.
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #12
Matt the Engineer

Heh. I could imagine a BBQ walkup window to raise money between fires. But Seasun was right.
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #13
Seasun

Or maybe some permanent fireman calendar kiosk/strip club for the times between fires.
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #14
mhays
Journeyman

Oh, got it. That's a little better, but wouldn't do well either. Dravus is an existing (if minor) retail corridor, and this is a block away. The project site isn't easy enough from the other side of 15th. It's on an on-ramp with no parking. The gas station screws up the corner.

Asking for retail there would be nothing but wishful thinking.
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #15
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasun View Post
Or maybe some permanent fireman calendar kiosk/strip club for the times between fires.
+1
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #16
Matt the Engineer

Yeah, I'm not pushing too hard for actual retail. But something to acknowledge that this will be a walkable neighborhood someday. Why live/work lofts turn inward rather than outward is beyond me. They still have customers (in theory), right? If this neighborhood is successful some/many/most* would be coming from the street, not the parking lot. Turning outward also puts eyes on the street and connects you to the neighborhood. Anyway, end of rant.

* "most" probably requires the Seattle Subway project
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #17
mhays
Journeyman

Live/work lofts are developers' way of dealing with spots where retail isn't marketable. On a quiet street that means looking more residential. On a highway it means being more protective.

I thought for a split second about living in that sort of unit. Livability would depend on how separate you could be from the street. I decided that I didn't like the idea...too close.
Old June 5th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #18
Matt the Engineer

Were you considering just living in the space, not working? That's a huge issue in SF. I assume Seattle just ignores the issue, hoping the requirements for clear storefront windows will discourage it. Maybe that's why developers are hiding entrances, setting them back from the sidewalk, and putting landscaping in front of them.
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #19
mhays
Journeyman

Yes, though I do have a business license for occasional copy editing.

If a business was required, it would be a disaster for developers. Demand would be horrendous. It would be a serious disincentive to developing that type of site.

This is all an outcome of cities basing requirements on wishful thinking about how much retail the market merits. Of course the market will find whatever ways it can to get past it.
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #20
Seasun

If you want a case study in rather confusing and possibly poorly thought out work/live versus live only - see the Banner Building in Belltown. Cool building but when I looked at a place there about a year ago I got the declaration (finally) and it attempts to define which units can be used for what as far as the Association is concerned. Then you have the DPD records that show certain units are allowed for live/work (not just the obvious units facing the street) but there's a bit of randomness to it. THEN you have reality - which units are actually being used for work. Maybe I was misunderstanding something but I read the records fairly carefully and it didn't bode well for consistently applied and enforced adherence to the declaration and/or the DPD records. This issue mattered to me when it came to the potential value of a unit (more if I could set up a business in the future) but also just wanting clear expectations for what neighbors could do and the related foot traffic and possible noise impacts.