daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Wales / Cymru

Wales / Cymru Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and the rest of Wales

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:34 PM   #1
kevsy21

Likes (Received): 4

Arrow LLuesty Hospital,Holywell,Flintshire April 2012

This may be of interest to people in the area i recently visited this place

The Lluesty hospital is situated on Old Chester Road in Holywell,originally built as a workhouse in the late 1830s,it has not been used since the new Holywell Community Hospital opened in 2008 about a mile down the road .

Auctioneers say there was intense interest in the site, selling well in excess of its £150,000 guide price at £275,000.

Speaking ahead of the auction, local historian Brian Taylor noted: "It is a feature of Holywell.

"There aren't many of these workhouses left in the country."

The original workhouse complex and adjoining chapel were Grade II listed 20 years ago.

The early Victorian building was designed by St Asaph architect John Welch and used as a workhouse for the poor of 14 parishes. It was built by Thomas Hughes of Liverpool and the contracter was Samuel Parry. There may have been alterations in 1869 and it was enlarged to the right in 1902. There were also some modern extensions during it's conversion to hospital use. It has the standard workhouse grid plan with separate courtyards for men and women and transverse and spinal ranges with a linking central octagon
The buildings are set in grounds of around 7.4 acres which have been allocated for housing development. It is thought up to 70 houses could be built on the site.

In 2006, television personality Cilla Black visited Lluesty as part of a BBC Wales programme called Coming Home with Cilla Black.

The building has a Classical front with coursed masonry, plinth and slate roofs. The main block is a three-storey, three-bay builing,advanced to the centre with a pediment. There are giant order pilasters, paired to the central bay, rising from the first floor sill band. There are small-pane sash windows including broad tripartite window to the second floor centre and round-headed windows to the first floor, as well as similar (round-headed) windows to the ground floor flanking the porch with a pedimented parapet. There are also two -storey, three-window wings set back, behind which the side elevations of the main block become rubble with similiar small-pane sash windows. At the right end of the building there is a two-storey, four-bay 1902 range with freestone dressings and a hipped roof.
There are also three-storey main courtyard ranges and a four-storey central octagonal block which have sashes without glazing bars.The spinal range continues to the rear of the octagon.

Over a year since being sold no work has been done on the buildings ,site security has been replaced by patrol security.Its been on my list for a few years but for a long time soon as you stepped on site security were straight on to you.Finally got around to checking this place out although it was a solo visit.

Quite stripped but at least i finally got around to seeing it.
On with the pics.

Thanks for looking.

My Liverpool Blog-- http://urbanliverpool.blogspot.com/

Last edited by kevsy21; April 24th, 2012 at 10:14 AM.
kevsy21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 15th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #2
TCCI

Likes (Received): 0

Looks to me to be a very interesting looking place this Kev.
TCCI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Dreamer
Let the Jam decide

Likes (Received): 63

Is the current owner going to do anything or just let it rot? It's on a very prominent road and gives a bad impression of the town
Old October 24th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #4
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 832

My piss poor interpretation of Welsh is reading LLuesty as Crusty? How am I supposed to be reading this?

(Seriously, I hate being ignorant)
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Karldiff

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
My piss poor interpretation of Welsh is reading LLuesty as Crusty? How am I supposed to be reading this?

(Seriously, I hate being ignorant)

It's something like Chlee-es-ty. The double ll sound in Welsh isn't exactly like that but it's the nearest approximation I can come up with in English. U in Welsh is generally pronounced as an ee.

Welsh is a phonetic language so once you learn the pronounciation of each letter you shouldn't go far wrong. Having said that my Welsh is piss poor so there may be others on this forum more qualified to comment.
Karldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #6
kevsy21

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Is the current owner going to do anything or just let it rot? It's on a very prominent road and gives a bad impression of the town
Nothing seems to be happening with it,there has been a few arson attacks this year there.
Eventually,the council may force the present owner to do something about the place.

My Liverpool Blog-- http://urbanliverpool.blogspot.com/
kevsy21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hospital, wales

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: