daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Pengangkutan

Pengangkutan aviation, automotive, rail and urban transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2003, 05:42 AM   #1
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1143

KL transport information hub

Thursday, October 09, 2003

KL transport information hub to be ready next year

By YIP YOKE TENG

THE Transport Management Centre, the hub of Kuala Lumpur’s Integrated Transport Information System (ITIS), under construction now, is expected to be ready by end of next year.

The centre sited in Technology Park Malaysia will link the system’s two main components – the Advanced Traffic Management System (ATMS) and the Advanced Traveller Information System (ATIS), which regulate the traffic condition around the Klang Valley.

These systems comprise cameras installed along major roads and highways in the city that transmit real-time traffic data to the centre. The centre will receive, analyse and evaluate the data before disseminating information to road users on which routes to take or avoid.

Kuala Lumpur mayor Datuk Mohmad Shaid Mohd Taufek was at its groundbreaking ceremony on Monday. Also present were ITS Konsortium Sdn Bhd’s chief executive officer Sheikh Yahya Sheikh Mohamed and City Hall’s Urban Transportation Department director Mahfix Omar.

“This system has multi-functions. It can control traffic flow around the city by helping motorists choose the roads to take, it can also study drivers’ behaviour in order to formulate new traffic strategies,” said Mohmad Shaid.

He said the police had enquired on the possibilities of using the system to assist in nabbing criminals on the run.

“We are open to their application. Criminals can be traced by replaying the footage recorded by the cameras in this system; we will be able to find them as long as they are on the road,” he said.

He added that City Hall would not mind sharing the concept with other local councils and government agencies, but they might not be able to share the same commitments because others parties require the consent of the different authorities they belonged to.

According to him, the four-level building costs RM20mil while the entire system is RM400mil. Its operational cost is estimated to be RM20mil a year.

“There will be 140 Variable Message Sign (VMS, dynamic electronic display boards) and 255 cameras in the system, including closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras and automatic incident detection (AID) cameras. The poles for 50 of the cameras have been installed,” said Mohmad Shaid.

It was learned that City Hall also aimed to convey the information processed by the system via other telecommunication means such as WAP, SMS and MMS.

The Transport Management Centre will accommodate a research and development facility and a call centre.

It can store up to one year’s worth of traffic database and assist in the co-ordination of emergency services through its linkages with the police, fire department and hospitals.

The system is managed by City Hall and developed by ITS Konsortium Sdn Bhd. The project was embarked on early this year and is expected to be operational by mid-2005.

It is one of the key solutions to the city’s deteriorating traffic situations as proposed in the Kuala Lumpur Draft Structure Plan 2020. Such a system has been applied in other developed cities to monitor traffic conditions.
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 13th, 2003, 06:30 AM   #2
hypermount

Likes (Received): 22

live webcams on KL's traffic!

http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/KLcamap.html

nice!

Moto BARISAN NASIONAL: "United we stand, united we fall".

Moto PAKATAN RANJANG: "United we stand, you fall yourself lah".
hypermount no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 07:46 PM   #3
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 8

wow nice find Jong! I love it!
baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:00 AM   #4
nazrey

Likes (Received): 2150

Siemens launches Regional Hub for Transportation Systems
in Malaysia

Officiated by HE Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder Siemens launches Regional Hub for Transportation Systems in Malaysia

12th May 2003 was a significant milestone for Siemens Transportation Systems (TS) Group as they launched the Regional Hub Asia Pacific for Transportation Systems in Malaysia. The event, which was officiated by the Chancellor of Germany, His Excellency Gerhard Schroeder, is timely, as Malaysia has master plans of transforming itself into a transportation powerhouse in Asia Pacific.
"Siemens is a good example of German engineering skill and of the ability to think in win-win categories," Schröder noted at the official opening of the competence center.
Siemens President and CEO Dr. Heinrich von Pierer noted that the country's well trained engineers are a valuable locational factor.

HE Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder enjoying the view frome the Petronas Twin Towers

The regional hub which is located at the ultra modern Petronas Twin Towers will provide the know how in designing, engineering, training and feasibility studies within the Asia Pacific region. It will provide its services for major markets in the Asian region . Highly experienced engineers from various countries will be based at the hub to manage, assist, consult and advice transportation projects in the entire region.

Over the years, there has been a tremendous increase in demand for public transportation systems in Asia Pacific. The Government, under the 8th Malaysian plan has put strong em-phasis on playing a major role in the 'TransAsia Railway Link'. The 5,500km Railway System will connect Singapore to Kunming in China, and Malaysia will play a role in building three main phases of this project. These phases include Rawang-Ipoh, Ipoh-Padang Besar and Seremban-Johor.

Siemens is one of the key players in designing, engineering and implementing leading edge public transportation systems as well as being market leader in Turnkey Systems having major projects in Malaysia, Thailand, China and Taiwan. The regional hub is a significant move as it shows Siemens commitment to the region, particularly Malaysia.

Siemens Transportation Systems Group has been involved in numerous railway projects around the globe. In the Asian region, the Siemens Transportation Systems Group has successfully designed, supplied, implemented and commissioned the Ekspres Rail Link (ERL Airport Link) in Malaysia and the Bangkok Transit System, among others. At present Siemens Transportation Systems Group is supplying, implementing and commissioning Mass Rapid Transit Authority Bangkok, Metro Kaoshiung in Taiwan, the Shanghai Maglev Transrapid in China. Recently Siemens Transportation Systems Group took over from Bombardier Transportation the project management for the phase Rawang-Ipoh of the TransAsia Railway Link in Malaysia.
http://www.mgcc.com.my/mgcc/main.nsf...6?OpenDocument

Last edited by nazrey; April 28th, 2004 at 03:50 PM.
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 09:27 AM   #5
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 8

Motorcycles may be barred from certain areas in KL

By SA’ODAH ELIAS

PUTRAJAYA: The government may turn certain parts of Kuala Lumpur city centre into “motorcycle-free” areas to curb the incidence of illegal racing and snatch theft.

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Tengku Adnan Mansor said banning motorcycles from entering some parts of the city like Jalan Sultan Ismail, Bukit Bintang and the Chow Kit areas would be imposed as a last resort if other efforts to curb the illegal activity failed.

He said the Cabinet on Wednesday had expressed great concern over illegal racing that police said was closely tied to the high incidence of snatch theft in the city.

“Apart from the business centre, we may also ban motorcycles from entering areas where there are many tourist activities.

“This is because illegal racing and snatch theft, if left unchecked, can tarnish the image of Kuala Lumpur as a tourist destination.

“The Cabinet is very concerned because the number of tourists who have fallen prey to snatch theft in the city is on the increase,” he told reporters after chairing his ministry’s post Cabinet meeting today.

The meeting was also attended by Kuala Lumpur CPO Deputy Comm Datuk Dell Akbar Khan and mayor Datuk Mohmad Shaid Mohd Taufek.

=============================================

This has been done in some cities in China, US etc
Our public transport in those roads should then be improved!
baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 09:53 AM   #6
ZaHiRnYa???
you are you and i am me..

Likes (Received): 46

Re: Motorcycles may be barred from certain areas in KL

Quote:
Originally posted by baqthier

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Tengku Adnan Mansor said banning motorcycles from entering some parts of the city like Jalan Sultan Ismail, Bukit Bintang and the Chow Kit areas would be imposed as a last resort if other efforts to curb the illegal activity failed.
I donno what to comment on this. Got both pro and cons. Imagine cannot ride a bike going into Bukit Bintang area. Me as a normal rider who ride bike everday back and front using some of the Bukit Bintang area will find it hard. I rather use my bike to go to Bukit Bintang during weekend rather than the monorail, bus or car in this case. Even if the goverment will only imposed it as a last resort.
Old January 8th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #7
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

yahoo!!! ....hehehe....sorry Farid!

actually one of the main reason is actually the illegal racing that's been going on for ages downtown every weekend. It is VERY dangerous for everyone....pedestrian.....motorist and motorcyclists.

Then there is this instance my dad saw a tourist being snatch of her handbag in front of Regent Hotel by two guys on a motorcyclist........so what they say in this article is true.

Due to a few bad apples, the majority/genuine motorcyclist (like Farid) are penalised. Until situation improved, I strongly agreed that motorbikes should be banned from downtown.
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #8
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Likes (Received): 10

Ohh.. I never imagined you had problems with illegal street racing in KL also. Do you have the problem with unmuffled two-stroke engined motorcycles (extremely noisy ones) like in Bangkok?

I hope they can lift the ban after a while because riding motorcycles is fun
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #9
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally posted by Jo

Ohh.. I never imagined you had problems with illegal street racing in KL also. Do you have the problem with unmuffled two-stroke engined motorcycles (extremely noisy ones) like in Bangkok?

I hope they can lift the ban after a while because riding motorcycles is fun
YES!!!

esp when they raced past your house while you're watching TV or sleeping!!! ....luckily a few years back the govt had installed road humps along the road in front of my house

Thankfully nowadays most on sale are the 4-strokes ones....phew!

There are still plenty on the road and I am still irritated by em......they think they are cool but sadly people think they are silly.....
Old January 9th, 2004, 01:43 AM   #10
andyf

Likes (Received): 4

As an outsider, and by experience, ban all vehicles and motorcycles along Jalan Imbi, outside Berjaya Times Square. It is a nightmare crossing the road without proper pedestrian crossings.

I was thinking the other day that it would be nice to have a Jln Imbi ring road built around the back of Berjaya Times Square and then pedestrianise the front of BTS along that section of Jln Imbi between Jln Pudu and Jln Sultan Ismail.

Andy
andyf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 07:05 AM   #11
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally posted by andyf

As an outsider, and by experience, ban all vehicles and motorcycles along Jalan Imbi, outside Berjaya Times Square. It is a nightmare crossing the road without proper pedestrian crossings.

I was thinking the other day that it would be nice to have a Jln Imbi ring road built around the back of Berjaya Times Square and then pedestrianise the front of BTS along that section of Jln Imbi between Jln Pudu and Jln Sultan Ismail.

Andy
We can't ban vehiecles from Jalan Imbi......first it would kill the life there and Imbi is one of the most important street for KL traffic.

Remember when they closed Jalan Bkt Bintang during the weekends in early 2002? Everyone doesn't wants to go there anymore!

Actually there is a proper crossing ( a darn proper one if you asked me! ) at the Imbi monorail station. In my opinion, this is the BEST pedestrian crossing in KL as the crossing are served by escalators on both sides and this unlike the one at Lot 10 and Sg. Wang where it goes straight into Lot 10, but this pedestrian crossing even had stairs and escalators leading both into the mall and to the street.

The only problem is that either the public are uninformed or are ignorant about it.
Old January 9th, 2004, 07:15 AM   #12
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Here's some pictures of the crossing.....

The stairs in the middle leads to the station ticketing platform. The crossing are accessed thru the two openings at the sides.....
Old January 9th, 2004, 07:16 AM   #13
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

This is the crossing.....a bit boring without windows.....I suggest they have some ads there to brighten up the place a lil
Old January 9th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #14
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

This is the Imbi station with the escalator leading to the pedestrian walkway below and a crossing into Berjaya Times Sq
Old January 9th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #15
ZaHiRnYa???

Quote:
Originally posted by szehoong

This is the Imbi station with the escalator leading to the pedestrian walkway below and a crossing into Berjaya Times Sq
Honestly Sze. Even with a proper walkway do you think people will take that thing to cross Jalan Imbi road? I don't think so. Actually not many people realised that the monorail station also serve as pedestarian walkaway. Many people thought that it is only for the people using the monorail mah. I happen to stumble that once by accident also. If not I will not have any idea about the thing as well.
Old January 9th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #16
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally posted by ZaHiRnYa???

Honestly Sze. Even with a proper walkway do you think people will take that thing to cross Jalan Imbi road? I don't think so. Actually not many people realised that the monorail station also serve as pedestarian walkaway. Many people thought that it is only for the people using the monorail mah. I happen to stumble that once by accident also. If not I will not have any idea about the thing as well.
that is the problem with Malaysians ........so in this case we need to educate em. If I am the city hall I would have barriers at the divider and sign boards to indicate the pedestrian walkway. I do not see the trouble of crossing Jln Imbi (I've crossed there many times before and it is no laughing matter) while I could just walk a lil to the station. I've been doing that since the monorail station and I find it no hassle at all as there's an escalator.

Did anyone realised that there is also underground crossings at these locations too? :

- Masjid Jamek station
- KL Plaza - Regent Hotel

No one seems to notice or bother......
Old January 9th, 2004, 10:43 AM   #17
ZaHiRnYa???

Quote:
Originally posted by szehoong

that is the problem with Malaysians ........so in this case we need to educate em. If I am the city hall I would have barriers at the divider and sign boards to indicate the pedestrian walkway. I do not see the trouble of crossing Jln Imbi (I've crossed there many times before and it is no laughing matter) while I could just walk a lil to the station. I've been doing that since the monorail station and I find it no hassle at all as there's an escalator.

Did anyone realised that there is also underground crossings at these locations too? :

- Masjid Jamek station
- KL Plaza - Regent Hotel

No one seems to notice or bother......
Yes. Both of this places got their own underground crossings. For Masjid Jamek, the underground always remain empty unless it is raining outside. People rather use the busy Jalan Tun Perak to make their daily crossing. Hmm...that will include me as well
Old January 9th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #18
andyf

Likes (Received): 4

Again the problem with the monorail walkway is the escalator goes up and a lot of steps down. Not too good when you have a lot of baggage in tow and not too good for the old folks or infirm.

Also if you coming to the Berjaya Times Square Hotel it is awkward
to reach the lobby from there.

I must say though, if it was'nt for the walkway I wouldn't have ventured into the Manhattan Cafe on the Berjaya Plaza side. Had a great meal there and spent the New Years Eve there also.

Andy
andyf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #19
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally posted by andyf

Again the problem with the monorail walkway is the escalator goes up and a lot of steps down. Not too good when you have a lot of baggage in tow and not too good for the old folks or infirm.

Also if you coming to the Berjaya Times Square Hotel it is awkward
to reach the lobby from there.

I must say though, if it was'nt for the walkway I wouldn't have ventured into the Manhattan Cafe on the Berjaya Plaza side. Had a great meal there and spent the New Years Eve there also.

Andy
well.....we can't expect too much can't we? In many of the 'developed countries' I've been to, pedestrian crossing usually have an escalator to go up but not down. It is much easier to carry your stuffs down and I don't think pedestrian crossing over to and from BTS would carry that much stuffs anyway. Should you shop a lot there, you would have parked your car there instead

Anyway, should you require an escalator to go down, one could always venture into the mall for the escalator convenience. In fact to get to the hotel form the monorail station being awkward had nothing to do with KL Monorail but it is Berjaya's fault in the design of the mall.

However I find it isn't too difficult :
Just walk from the monorail station to the walkway and turn left and you'll see Foto Shangri-La and Miki Paris on your left. Walk straight and you'll see the escalator which leads you dorectly to the ground floor. Upon reaching the ground floor, turn to your right and you should see Debenhams. Next to Debenhams is a money changer and the entrance to the hotel is next to it.

Actually the hotel are very accessible from the mall so getting off the monorail and into the mall isn't much of a hassle. Then just proceed to the hotel
Old January 10th, 2004, 02:31 AM   #20
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Likes (Received): 10

So it's called BTS in KL also. What does the abbrevation stand for? For sure it's not Bangkok Transit System