daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Photography, Heritage and Architecture > Literature and Languages

Literature and Languages The Great Filipino Photo Contest

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #1
dancethingy

Likes (Received): 4

Tagalog Literary Works and Linguistics

Filipino Literature

When i first arrived here in the Philippines I made it a goal, an imperative goal, to explore Filipino literature. I thought that finding a starting point for my exploration was going to be easy, but my attempts at exploring Filipino literature became a challenge when not one person in any bookstore could give me any advice on where to start. I was even startled when one salesperson recommended Jessica Hagedorn, a FILIPINO AMERICAN writer. It was so annoying to think that our peoples worth isn't official until it is verified or attached to something foreign.

So my first venture into Filipino literature was with F. Sionil Jose and it is he who has inspired me to create this thread. I have struck gold with his vast and epic collection of essays, short stories, and novels. There is something about his work that strikes a chord with me and his work so clearly expresses how i feel about our country. His work is infused with such profound melancholy regarding our country, but at the same time it is filled with nationalism and pride at what he calls "our heroic heritage."

I have only read "Wayway," "We Fililipinos: Our Moral Malaise, Our Heroic Heritage," and "Sin." I have just started his Rosales Saga Novels, which is a series of 5 Novels.

I recommend all these books, especially for all the young forumers here. We as Filipinos, if we really care to understand ourselves, need to read his works. They are so ahead of his time and so brazenly true. His essay "Our Place in the Sun" for example, written in 1997, effectively sums up all what we debate on this forum. His short story "waywaya" is an amazing account of pre-hispanic Philippines and wonderfully portrays the life of the Ilocanos and the Ifugaos before our hundreds of years of colonization.

I hope this thread grows, because i know most you are much much smarter than I on this topic. I'm so ignorant of it. Come to think of it, most of you have probably read these books or have already discussed them in the forum before my arrival. I would love more suggestions for reading.

By the way i've also been reading Nick Joaquin, but his works are not that easy to read given his love for run-on sentences. I'm going to start on him after F. Sionil Jose.
dancethingy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 11th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #2
dancethingy

Likes (Received): 4

Tagalog Literary Works and Linguistics Thread

Filipino Literature

When i first arrived here in the Philippines I made it a goal, an imperative goal, to explore Filipino literature. I thought that finding a starting point for my exploration was going to be easy, but my attempts at exploring Filipino literature became a challenge when not one person in any bookstore could give me any advice on where to start. I was even startled when one salesperson recommended Jessica Hagedorn, a FILIPINO AMERICAN writer. It was so annoying to think that our peoples worth isn't official until it is verified or attached to something foreign.

So my first venture into Filipino literature was with F. Sionil Jose and it is he who has inspired me to create this thread. I have struck gold with his vast and epic collection of essays, short stories, and novels. There is something about his work that strikes a chord with me and his work so clearly expresses how i feel about our country. His work is infused with such profound melancholy regarding our country, but at the same time it is filled with nationalism and pride at what he calls "our heroic heritage."

I have only read "Wayway," "We Fililipinos: Our Moral Malaise, Our Heroic Heritage," and "Sin." I have just started his Rosales Saga Novels, which is a series of 5 Novels.

I recommend all these books, especially for all the young forumers here. We as Filipinos, if we really care to understand ourselves, need to read his works. They are so ahead of his time and so brazenly true. His essay "Our Place in the Sun" for example, written in 1997, effectively sums up all what we debate on this forum. His short story "waywaya" is an amazing account of pre-hispanic Philippines and wonderfully portrays the life of the Ilocanos and the Ifugaos before our hundreds of years of colonization.

I hope this thread grows, because i know most you are much much smarter than I on this topic. I'm so ignorant of it. Come to think of it, most of you have probably read these books or have already discussed them in the forum before my arrival. I would love more suggestions for reading.

By the way i've also been reading Nick Joaquin, but his works are not that easy to read given his love for run-on sentences. I'm going to start on him after F. Sionil Jose.
dancethingy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #3
sandrin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Florante at Laura by Francisco Balagtas is a good start for a new comer in Filipino literature. Another truly captivating short story is Ibong Adarna (The legend of Ibong Adarna) - the bird with a melancholy voice & magical sh*t.
sandrin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #4
sandrin
BANNED

Florante at Laura by Francisco Balagtas is a good start for a new comer in Filipino literature. Another truly captivating short story is Ibong Adarna (The legend of Ibong Adarna) - the bird with a melancholy voice & magical sh*t.
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #5
paulkrps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Tita Ayala

here's one by joey ayala's mom:

A Fool's Summer Song
By Tita Lacambra Ayala

Piety and angels belong to children
piety and hotels to artists and fools
who ignites the first star is struck by blindness
but who keeps his distance sees the truth

He who sees his blindness sings about it
and he who cannot see must paint the dark
he who cannot sing about his blindness
in blindness must find his way alone

For what one sees with eye or mind is what makes beauty
and beauty alone is there to share
beautiful food beautiful money
beautiful thoughts of beauty
our world of sense is all that we will ever know
paulkrps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #6
paulkrps
BANNED

Tita Ayala

here's one by joey ayala's mom:

A Fool's Summer Song
By Tita Lacambra Ayala

Piety and angels belong to children
piety and hotels to artists and fools
who ignites the first star is struck by blindness
but who keeps his distance sees the truth

He who sees his blindness sings about it
and he who cannot see must paint the dark
he who cannot sing about his blindness
in blindness must find his way alone

For what one sees with eye or mind is what makes beauty
and beauty alone is there to share
beautiful food beautiful money
beautiful thoughts of beauty
our world of sense is all that we will ever know
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #7
paulkrps
BANNED

we cry for the unborn
not humans, not of our own
we cry, forlorn
tell me, when
that we cry for our own
we cry, oh the thorn
that we shed those
tears, we have shown
but they're not
for our own, not

poems, in the works...
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #8
paulkrps
BANNED

we cry for the unborn
not humans, not of our own
we cry, forlorn
tell me, when
that we cry for our own
we cry, oh the thorn
that we shed those
tears, we have shown
but they're not
for our own, not

poems, in the works...
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:24 AM   #9
Culiat
Rehistradong Manggagamit

Likes (Received): 3

Bangkero
Ni Lamberto E. Antonio

Kaydalas matibag ng kabilangpampang.

Sa ibayo, kumakaway ang babae,
kasama ang mga lilik at nakatalungkong mga
sako.

Ilang uhay kaya ang naamot ng pauwing ibon?

Nag-uusap ang sagwan at agos
Sa langit na itong animo'y lukot
At nangingitim na kumot.

Ang mga babae: lalong namumurok
Ang kanilang mga pisngi sa tilamsik
Ng duguang sinag. At muli kang naalala,

Mutya ng Pampangin: ang tinig mong
Kumakampay kapag ako'y walang sakay;
Ang huling kaway mo sa pantalan at sa akin

Akong hindi maitawid ng sariling bangka
Sa ilog ng paglimot.
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:24 AM   #10
Culiat
Rehistradong Manggagamit

Likes (Received): 3

Bangkero
Ni Lamberto E. Antonio

Kaydalas matibag ng kabilangpampang.

Sa ibayo, kumakaway ang babae,
kasama ang mga lilik at nakatalungkong mga
sako.

Ilang uhay kaya ang naamot ng pauwing ibon?

Nag-uusap ang sagwan at agos
Sa langit na itong animo'y lukot
At nangingitim na kumot.

Ang mga babae: lalong namumurok
Ang kanilang mga pisngi sa tilamsik
Ng duguang sinag. At muli kang naalala,

Mutya ng Pampangin: ang tinig mong
Kumakampay kapag ako'y walang sakay;
Ang huling kaway mo sa pantalan at sa akin

Akong hindi maitawid ng sariling bangka
Sa ilog ng paglimot.
Old November 12th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #11
Lili
The Original is The Best

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancethingy
Filipino Literature

Those are great choices Ben. Thanks for reminding me of these homegrown literary treasures. F. Sionil Jose and Nick Joaquin are two of my favorite Filipino writers. Waywaya was made into a movie starring Ace Vergel. Of course, Nick Joaquin's May Day Eve and Summer Solstice have been featured many times in films and TV. The most recent movie on his play 'Tatarin', however, fell short of my expectation. Other early Filipino writers that I enjoy reading are Paz Latorena, F. Sionil Jose, Loreto Paras-Sulit, NVM Gonzales, Francisco Arcellana, Manuel Arguelles, among others.

For later writers, I enjoy the short stories of Jose 'Butch' Dalisay.

P.S. Did you visit the greetings thread? I greeted you there for passing the NCLEX. Congrats ulit. .
Lili no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #12
Lili
The Original is The Best

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancethingy
Filipino Literature

Those are great choices Ben. Thanks for reminding me of these homegrown literary treasures. F. Sionil Jose and Nick Joaquin are two of my favorite Filipino writers. Waywaya was made into a movie starring Ace Vergel. Of course, Nick Joaquin's May Day Eve and Summer Solstice have been featured many times in films and TV. The most recent movie on his play 'Tatarin', however, fell short of my expectation. Other early Filipino writers that I enjoy reading are Paz Latorena, F. Sionil Jose, Loreto Paras-Sulit, NVM Gonzales, Francisco Arcellana, Manuel Arguelles, among others.

For later writers, I enjoy the short stories of Jose 'Butch' Dalisay.

P.S. Did you visit the greetings thread? I greeted you there for passing the NCLEX. Congrats ulit. .

Last edited by Lili; November 12th, 2005 at 02:41 AM.
Lili no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 03:20 AM   #13
xXx carlos xXx
nice guy high

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrin

good one! magical sh*t!!!! hahaha! lolz
xXx carlos xXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 03:20 AM   #14
xXx carlos xXx
nice guy high

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrin

Old November 12th, 2005, 03:21 AM   #15
xXx carlos xXx
nice guy high

philippines has more than 24 epics so..... better know all of them... hahaha
Old November 12th, 2005, 03:21 AM   #16
xXx carlos xXx
nice guy high

philippines has more than 24 epics so..... better know all of them... hahaha
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:22 AM   #17
sandrin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXx carlos xXx
yup, as i recall, when you hear the adarna bird sing, you must stay awake. when you fall asleep, it will sh*t down on you & will turn you into a stone, just like the medusa legend.
so how do you stay awake?
hiwain mo yung kamay mo at pigaan ng kalamansi
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:22 AM   #18
sandrin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXx carlos xXx
yup, as i recall, when you hear the adarna bird sing, you must stay awake. when you fall asleep, it will sh*t down on you & will turn you into a stone, just like the medusa legend.
so how do you stay awake?
hiwain mo yung kamay mo at pigaan ng kalamansi
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:25 AM   #19
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 138

If you're looking for something modern, try visiting the ADMU/UST/UP/DLSU press. They churn out a lot of works, and some of them are even worth reading outside the classroom.
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:25 AM   #20
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 138

If you're looking for something modern, try visiting the ADMU/UST/UP/DLSU press. They churn out a lot of works, and some of them are even worth reading outside the classroom.

Tags
philippines, pinoy