daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Sheffield Metro Area

Sheffield Metro Area For Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 4.96 average.
Old January 26th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #1
laalaa

Likes (Received): 0

Park Hill Flats Regeneration (Urban Splash)

The now council-approved regeneration plans for the Grade II* listed Park Hill Flats by Urban Splash and Sheffield City Council.

Article from the Sheffield Star:

DEVELOPERS Urban Splash say their aim is "to make Park Hill the best place in Sheffield, period".

But it won't be the first time someone has tried that.
Back in the 1950s high-rise housing was considered the answer for the new post-war world. It was a way to rehouse people on a massive scale; to take them out of their cold, damp back-to-backs and give them homes fit for heroes.

Park Hill was the site of the first large scale slum clearance in Britain, the previous back-to-back housing was known as 'Little Chicago' in the 1930s, due to the violent crimes committed there.
Architects Ivor Smith and Jack Lynn had a vision of streets in the sky – a world apart from the crumbling slums.

Its broad decks, wide enough for milk floats, had large numbers of front doors opening onto them with shops and post offices.
And for a while, it worked. People loved their new homes, their modern kitchens, the light and the air and the generous spaces.

The council and their architects took great care to rehouse people on a street-by-street basis, keeping neighbour next to neighbour.
But, over time, Park Hill became a victim of a changing world. The brutal 50s style of architecture never caught on, housing policies changed, unemployment gripped the country, miners lost their jobs, and steelworkers were laid off.

Gradually the complex fell into disrepair and by the 1990s it was being shown, somewhat unflatteringly, on cinema screens all over the world as part of the introduction to the Sheffield-set movie The Full Monty.
So if it didn't work before why should it work again?
Many think Park Hill is so ugly and so prominent it should be just pulled down instead - but by law a listed building cannot be demolished.

Park Hill became Grade ll* listed in 1998 and is now the largest listed building in Europe.
English Heritage argue the site is of international importance.
When the building was listed they said: "Park Hill has been regularly studied by sociologists ever since it was opened, and is one of the most successful of its type.

"The deck system was uniquely appropriate here because of the steeply sloping site allowed all but the uppermost deck to reach ground level, the impact of the long, flat topped structure rising above the city centre makes for one of Sheffield's most impressive landmarks."

Urban Splash believe by attracting chic restaurants and trendy shops the image of Park Hill can be rescued.
But will the "bacon and egg ice cream" and "snail porridge" outlined in the vision be enough to whet the appetite of the Sheffield property market?

http://www.urbansplash.co.uk

laalaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 26th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #2
sony

Likes (Received): 4

Whatever they do with Park hill flats it'll always look (...)
I mean just look at those pictures! It looks the same with a few more colours... Looks like a kid has drawn that!
Sheffield these days gets most things rights in terms of developments etc, but park hill isn't one of them. Knock 'em down I say!!!
sony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #3
jazz-sheff

they've tried to make park hill more colourful in those pics by putting people with bright clothes there and hot air balloons in the sky! the buiding looks exactly the same though!
jazz-sheff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #4
jazz-sheff

and why the **** is bertie bassett stood on one of the balconies!!??bottom right
jazz-sheff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #5
laalaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz-sheff
they've tried to make park hill more colourful in those pics by putting people with bright clothes there and hot air balloons in the sky! the buiding looks exactly the same though!
They plan to make some changes to the buildings' cladding. I don't think Urban Splash ever planned to do much though as they seem to like them and they can't anyway as they're listed. The scheme seems to be devoted more to the surrounding landscaping and amenities provided than the buildings themselves though.

Proposed Cladding

Old January 26th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #6
AndrewC

Likes (Received): 4

The park in the lower half of the birds eye plan view (third thumbnail) is actually a seperate proposal for a sheaf valley park.
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #7
jozblade
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 5

I thought that too AndrewC.

I quite like the proposals for Park Hill.
jozblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #8
Wednesday

Actually the cladding seems better than what I first suspected. The ground proposals are awesome and the park is great too.

swfc
Wednesday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #9
Truefitt
Michael

it should look alright when done, but what will it be like in say 5, 10 years? Proberly the same as it is now, except a few faded colours.
Truefitt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #10
jolon
Sense Offender

Likes (Received): 1

Urban splash certainly have vivid imaginations.

I personally think that Park Hill flats are beautiful. With i slightly more respectable bunch of residents, better security and surveillance, improved amenities and a bit of a general spruce up, there will be no problem with them if you ask me.
Old March 10th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #11
adsheff
adSheff

Its a shame they couldn't produce some realistic renders of this. No one doubts the groove-rating of Urban Splash, and hot air balloons and giant liquorice men may be attainable but I do somehow doubt they will be able to get the weather to do what its doing on those pictures....
adsheff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #12
Truefitt
Michael

On chan 4s demolition proggrame they showed a bit of a video from what park hill is ment to look like, and yes it was just something that you would never see happen, just like them images
Truefitt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #13
di Livio

Likes (Received): 471

If it's a listed building, how can they give the flats a makeover? Why not pull them down?
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #14
dinp
Wow

Likes (Received): 119

They're limited to how they can alter the exteriors, but they can make small alterations. Despite all the skepticism, I think Urban Splash will do well for Park Hill and while it certainly wont have Bertie Bassett as a resident, it will be a hell of a lot better than it is now.

They cant tear them down so are making the best out of a bad situation, I think its time we all accepted that and thew our support behind Urban Splash because nobody wants them to fail in their task. If it goes tits up, which I truly hope it doesn't, then you can all moan to your heart's content.

Old March 18th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #15
laalaa

An application went in this week for the demolition of some structures at Park Hill by Urban Splash. I guess the work will be starting soon.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #16
lewisskinner
do me bad things

Likes (Received): 2

Oh my god, I hope this is a joke!

However, take away all the hippy-shit, and you could actually make a nice little community. When I had a placement at Duke Medical Centre, Talbot Street, I used to walk home occasionally past these. There's a school, pub and Post-Office (albeit closed) on site. If someone could encourage retail and other businesses into the area, it'd look good. Add to that the changes to the tram (not sure if that's possible, but anyway) and with improced access, it could be a nice area to live.

Won't you please, click here to sponsor me? All proceeds to the MS Society
lewisskinner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #17
BarryPseudonym

I caught the end of "Don Cruickshank's Wonders of the Modern World" last night on BBC2 which featured Park Hill Flats. It looked very intesresting and I was dissapointed to have missed the rest of it.

Does anyone know if it will be repeated on BBC4 perhaps, or did anyone see the program?
BarryPseudonym no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #18
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 52

Even in the renders with lots of different colours they still look ugly. If they can knock some great buildings down to build ugly buildings, then why the hell can we not do it in reverse.

High density housing doesn't have to look like it has come straight out of Volgagrad.
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #19
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Location: Beside the lake, Beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing, In the Breeze
Likes (Received): 1

English Heritage advised that it be listed. English Heritage is one of these dumb ass quangos full of **** wits who don't know what they're on about. They advisewd that this entire, badly planned carbucle should be maintained to preserve the example of brutalism. Never mind that it is a miserbale place where very few people want to live.

There are two storey sections of Park Hill that could've been kept to preserve the "example of brutalism", the bulk of it should be pulled down. Painting it in silly colours and hanging balloons off of it ain't gonna change very much in the long term.
Blabbernsmoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #20
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabbernsmoke
[IMG]
English Heritage advised that it be listed. English Heritage is one of these dumb ass quangos full of **** wits who don't know what they're on about. They advisewd that this entire, badly planned carbucle should be maintained to preserve the example of brutalism. Never mind that it is a miserbale place where very few people want to live.

There are two storey sections of Park Hill that could've been kept to preserve the "example of brutalism", the bulk of it should be pulled down. Painting it in silly colours and hanging balloons off of it ain't gonna change very much in the long term.

Totally agree.

I've only been to Sheffield once and was really impressed. However, my initial view of the city was yuk, because the first thing I saw on leaving the train station via the tram was these flats. They are such a shocking advert for any newbie to the area.
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
brutalism, sheffield

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: