daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Sheffield Metro Area

Sheffield Metro Area For Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.47 average.
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:31 PM   #1
paulmat
▀∂NNED

Likes (Received): 24

Football Season

The new football season's starting soon so I thought we could have a thread for South Yorkshire. (I know there's a Sports forum, but I thought we could have a thread just for us )

Right so how do you recon Sheffield United will do in the premiership, will Wednesday push for promotion this season and will Barnsly cope in the Championship?

(Also, I can see why people recon that the news is biased towards Leeds, I was watching yesterday and they had a whole long article about how Leeds might do ok in the new season, and not a single mention of United starting off in the Premiership)
paulmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 1st, 2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Damon

Likes (Received): 114

Look North and Calendar wound me up so much when it came to football that I had to leave Sheffield completely. Drastic I know, but at least I could easily avoid the Whiteley/Gration/Helm axis of evil.
Old August 1st, 2006, 01:00 PM   #3
jozblade
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 5

I know i saw that too! Was disgusted. If leeds had been a programme there would have been a week dedicated to how great they are and that crap.

Been a Blades fan i may be biased but i think we will stop up. We have made the best signings out of the 3 clubs that have gone up and haven't sold any top players like Reading have done. We also have a very good record against top clubs and have a great team spirit all this mixed will help us alot next year. 15th place finish is my bet for us

Wednesdays - Will finish about 16th i reckon.

Barnsley - Relegated, Really need to strengthen their team.

Doncaster - Play Offs easy.

Chesterfield - Mid Table possible.
jozblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 02:21 PM   #4
adsheff
adSheff

Likes (Received): 0

I live in Hillsborough and as far as I can tell the footy brings nothing but trouble. They don't do very well so no one's in a good mood about it, the pubs (which are usually to be avoided) become definate no-go zones unless you are a complete lout, the police have to practically move into Hillsborough to sort out all the drunkern loonatics and the streets become dangerous thoroughfares full of drunk shouty people.
Personally I'd scrap the season...
adsheff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 02:29 PM   #5
Unisol

Never been a fan of footie myself either.

I suppose United's position in the Prem will bring some good things to the city.
Unisol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:23 PM   #6
Bladerunner

Likes (Received): 57

I think we should extend this thread to all S Yorks sports teams. The Steelers and the Eagles also need supporting.

I am a big Sheff United fan, btw and I'm sure we won't go down. Barnsley will finish above Wednesday. Both will finish above Leeds.
Bladerunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 09:46 PM   #7
LINCS OWL

Likes (Received): 3

Shouldn't these columns be about architecture & tall buildings? Here's a tall building from 1961 which is still going strong.
The North Stand at the theatre of nightmares.

LINCS OWL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:10 PM   #8
paulmat
▀∂NNED

I recon that United will stay in the Premiership, but only low down.

In the Championship;

I think Wedneesday will either have a reasonably decent season, or an extremely poor one, seeing as we lost to Mansfield 4-0. Suppose we beat mansfield 2-1, so like I said, i'm not sure.

I'm not sure Barnsley will manage to stay up this season, but i''m not sure.

I don't think Leeds will have a very good season. Not bad, but not Good.

Lower down, I don't really know.
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:23 PM   #9
paulmat
▀∂NNED

Oops. We LOST 2-1, I read the score wrong :-P. Looks like we're gonna have a bad season then!!!
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:15 AM   #10
muddycoffee
E = MC▓

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCS OWL
Shouldn't these columns be about architecture & tall buildings? Here's a tall building from 1961 which is still going strong.
The North Stand at the theatre of nightmares.
I understand that that North Stand was the first Cantilever stand used in any stadium in the world. As far as I can tell it is still a good stand 45 years later.
muddycoffee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:41 PM   #11
LINCS OWL

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycoffee
I understand that that North Stand was the first Cantilever stand used in any stadium in the world. As far as I can tell it is still a good stand 45 years later.
A common falacy, unfortunately for my beloved Hillsbro stadium. Scunthorpe United built the first cantilever f'ball stand in England in 1957. Owls stand went up in 1960-61. I know cos I left Sheffield to live in Scunthorpe..plus I've done all 92 grounds so it is my field(pardon the pun).
No comparison with the stands though. Scunny's was a glorified bus shelter, albeit cantilevered. They moved to a new ground in 1988 so Wednesday's in the oldest existing cantilever stand in England. Don't know about the World.
LINCS OWL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 05:21 PM   #12
Wednesday

The North Stand was the first cantilever stand to run the whole length of the pitch, not sure whether its just britain, europe, the world lol.

Its still a decent stand

swfc
Wednesday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:46 PM   #13
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 135

No just the UK, they date back to 1920 in Italy (see Fiorentina etc). Good luck to Sheffield Utd in the premier and wednesday in the championship. Like to see the big city teams doing well.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:56 PM   #14
Bladerunner

They have been doing some work on United's 70's cantiliver too, the South Stand. I think the press boxes are being moved and a further executive section installed. The South Stand is also distinctive for its larger overhanging TV gantry.

This is an old pic, before the corner stand was constructed.

Old August 4th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #15
AndrewC

Likes (Received): 4

I think United have a chance of staying up, no worse than the other promoted teams and theres some rubbish premiership teams that could go down.

Wednesday should be too good by now to face relegation but you never know, they're not that great.
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #16
Wednesday

We've had our usual luck with injuries again, down to one fit striker now.

Despite this i'm optimistic, Bougherra was rated very highly, Small's pace is another dimension to our side, with Lunt's creativity and we all know Folly is a good footballer we could be in for a decent season.

One thing that really annoys me however, Dave Allen says we'll raise the wage budget by 1m, so far we've let 7 or 8 players go and brought in 4. We let David Graham go to FUND a goalkeeper loan signing - Brad Jones from Middlesboro' signed on loan for 3 monthes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner
They have been doing some work on United's 70's cantiliver too, the South Stand. I think the press boxes are being moved and a further executive section installed. The South Stand is also distinctive for its larger overhanging TV gantry.

This is an old pic, before the corner stand was constructed.

From the inside its quite an impressive stand, just the 70's back to it lets Bramall Lane down big time IMO.

swfc
Wednesday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #17
jozblade
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 5

Would be amazing if both Sheffield clubs were in the top flight. Obviously us contending for Europe and Wednesdays mid-table:p
jozblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #18
Bladerunner

We both were, along with L**ds, back in the early 90's. United were the first to drop, in '94, followed by the P.. I mean Wednesday, and finally Leeds 3 years ago.
Old August 6th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #19
paulmat
▀∂NNED

Well then, Wednesday had a bit of an average start, although our disallowed goal was pretty good stuffI thought. Barnsley and Rotherham unfortunately did not get of on a good foot, especially seeing as Rotherham have got a 10 point penalty to start with. Chesterfield on the other hand had a decent first game.

Although I shouldn't say this, as an Owl, but it's be pretty neat if United beat Liverpool on their first game.
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #20
Bladerunner

I forgot that Rotherham have a 10 point penalty. We should lend them a few more players...

Tags
swfc

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: