daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Old June 15th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #1
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

NEW YORK | Midtown Towers | 427m x 2 | 1401ft | Pro

Developers To Detail $14B Plans Around Penn Station
By ELIOT BROWN
Special to the Sun
June 14, 2007

A plan for building a set of towering skyscrapers, two grandlyscaled train halls, and a new Madison Square Garden around the existing Pennsylvania Station are rapidly advancing, and the state hopes to begin the public review process for the project, known as Moynihan Station, in the next few weeks.

The developers' revised designs, which are said to include a pair of towers taller than the Empire State Building to be built on the current site of Madison Square Garden, could swiftly transform Midtown South into a thriving epicenter of commercial activity centered around one of the largest transit hubs in the country.

The proposals, which could cost more than $14 billion including the private development, are being shown to elected officials and community groups by a joint development team, Vornado Realty

Trust and the Related Companies.

A spokesman for New York's Empire State Development Corporation said the state has yet to complete negotiations about the complex development rights and possible public subsidies for the renovation of Penn Station. Developers say they hope to start construction in 2008 after the sometimes lengthy process of public approval is completed.

The project takes its name from the late Senator Moynihan, who favored the concept of transforming part of the Corinthiancolumned Farley Post Office building, which sits across Eighth Avenue from Madison Square Garden, into a train station reminiscent of the original Penn Station. It has been under consideration for at least 15 years and faced numerous financial and political obstacles.

While the developers had publicly discussed their vision for the comprehensive plan about a year ago, the concept is now refined, more specific, and closer to reality, people familiar with the plans said, and come after a spider web of discussions among the numerous stakeholders that has gone on for months.

People familiar with the designs say they call for a complex containing 5.5 million square feet built on what is now Madison Square Garden. Primarily office buildings, it includes two towers whose spires will be taller than 1,400 feet. Another tower, to be built along Seventh Avenue near One Penn Plaza, would utilize 2 million square feet of developable air rights transferred from the Farley Post Office site.

Under the plans, the existing Pennsylvania Station would be reconfigured to allow natural light into the train hall, which is now buried under low ceilings.

"The whole place will be flooded with daylight," the president of the developers' Moynihan Station Venture team, Vishaan Chakrabarti, said. He called it "a dramatically nicer space that, again, is larger than the main room at Grand Central."

Given its scale, the project could be extraordinarily lucrative for the developers. Vornado has a significant number of other holdings in the area that would presumably skyrocket in value. The magnitude of the project also makes it risky, the developers say, especially since the most lucrative part of the complex — the private towers in the place on the current Garden site — could not be completed until near the end of the project, which could take up to 10 years.

"If you think about it, the place where we make any money is the towers that get built last — it's an extraordinary risk," Mr. Chakrabarti said.

Historic preservation groups, including the Municipal Art Society and the Landmarks Conservancy, have expressed concerns that the main hall in the Farley building would effectively be turned into an entrance for a new sports arena; they took issue with the possibility of using the post office's original sales windows as ticket booths for events.

The developers say the rebuilt Madison Square Garden acts as a critical component for that space.

"It certainly moves the center of gravity of Midtown to the south and the west, and it effectively expands the Midtown central business district with a significant new anchor," the chief executive officer of the Partnership for New York City, Kathryn Wylde, said.
LLoydGeorge no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old June 15th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #2
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

cant wait for a pic
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #3
Californias rest in peace

Likes (Received): 114

14 billion

Online no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #4
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 32

wow. thats agressive, 2 1400 footers?
lets see if this gets done.
Rizzato no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #5
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzato View Post
wow. thats agressive, 2 1400 footers?
lets see if this gets done.
NY desperately needs office space. In addition, a third tower of 2m+ s.f. is reported for that site and Vornado plans a fourth tower of 2.5m s.f. across the street on the Hotel Penn site. That's four buildings in the 1,000 foot + range on one block!
LLoydGeorge no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #6
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 216

This is slightly higher than ESB and in the same locality?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278
great184 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #7
deez

Likes (Received): 2

oh great. here we go again with the height tease. 'it includes two towers whose spires will be taller than 1,400 feet.' i hope i'm wrong, but i can easily see ~1000 foot towers (not that impressive) with 400 foot antennas (slightly exaggerating, but look at FT's 400 footer!). i guess i fall into the category where the 'tip don't count'....now...roof height at 1400, then i'll raise my eyebrows.

we'll see!
deez no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #8
Californias rest in peace

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post
oh great. here we go again with the height tease. 'it includes two towers whose spires will be taller than 1,400 feet.' i hope i'm wrong, but i can easily see ~1000 foot towers (not that impressive) with 400 foot antennas (slightly exaggerating, but look at FT's 400 footer!). i guess i fall into the category where the 'tip don't count'....now...roof height at 1400, then i'll raise my eyebrows.

we'll see!
Welcome

Online no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #9
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 58

Awesome!!
Jai no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #10
Hanshin-Tigress
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

lol two towers that are 700 feet with 700 feet spires could you imagine if that were the case??
Anyways i hope they are 1300 at roof and just 100 foot spire.
Hanshin-Tigress no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #11
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki-chan View Post
lol two towers that are 700 feet with 700 feet spires could you imagine if that were the case??
Anyways i hope they are 1300 at roof and just 100 foot spire.
Spires add nothing other than aesthetic value, and I imagine they're not too desirable to the property developers who wish to maximise profits...
_00_deathscar no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #12
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 17

Wow, taller than the ESP??

That sounds amazing. They would be the second largest buildings in NYC right? After the Freedom Tower at 1776 feet...?
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #13
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 157

Well they wont be near the size of the old WTC however they will be a great addition to the skyline, pending design. This should be good.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #14
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 17

Nice.

So in metric, 427m each.

Thanks LLoydGeorge.
Muse no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #15
Astralis
Out of time

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Nice.

So in metric, 427m each.

Thanks LLoydGeorge.
Wow Great hight !
Astralis no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #16
wjfox
Wanna cook?

Likes (Received): 4228

Incredible if true... this would transform New York's skyline (and that's saying something!).
wjfox no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #17
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystyle View Post
Well they wont be near the size of the old WTC however they will be a great addition to the skyline, pending design. This should be good.

The old Twin Towers were shorter than 1400ft. The proposed towers will be only about 50ft shorter than the Sears Tower

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #18
wjfox
Wanna cook?

Likes (Received): 4228

So including these new towers, New York could potentially have 11 supertalls by pinnacle height within the next few years...

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?28411971
wjfox no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #19
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 2654

Waiting for confirmation and final design unveiling.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #20
Myster E

Likes (Received): 44

Good news for NYC, sounds very generous with the amount of space being offered too. how many floors are we talking about and what would be the floor to ceiling heights of a floor roughly?
Myster E no está en línea