daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Transportation-Infrastructure > Aviation

Old August 10th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Centurymax

Likes (Received): 0

Future of LAX

Hello everyone, I'm almost new here. I was looking on the LAWA website about the new LAX masterplan... I was so impressed about this beautiful mega project and revamping. Expecially seeing the video presentation, where you can see the new central terminal area (so beautiful), people mover, rental car city and a lot of amazing stuff...
http://www.laxmasterplan.org/
I read that the project/works begun on 2004. Last time I was in LA it was one year ago, I'm moving there next month from Rome, and I'm curious if anyone know some news, if something changed since summer '06 (e.g. terminal revamping...).
Because Los Angeles is a fantastic and unique city, and it needs a better airport, a world leader airport!
Thanks people!

Sponsored Links

Old August 10th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #2
yamota
Chairman of the Bored

Likes (Received): 3

I remember in '97 there was legislation introduced to re-name LAX the "Jimmy Stewart International Airport", whatever became of that??
yamota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #3
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 153

Hasn't this been shelved? As far as I know too many lawsuits.......
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #4
yamota
Chairman of the Bored

ah...well that's too bad. LA will have to honor Jimmy Stewart some other way then...
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #5
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
ah...well that's too bad. LA will have to honor Jimmy Stewart some other way then...
That would be.. well, awesome. Jimmy Stewart International. Bob Hope. John Wayne. What would we call Palmdale? Ontario? How about women at these two?
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #6
yamota
Chairman of the Bored

Why not? Lucille Ball, Audrey Hepburn, Billie Holiday, etc. Any airport would be proud to carry the names of all these great women.
Old August 11th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #7
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 316

Wow! Ball and Hepburn International- imagine Holiday International!
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #8
Fern~Fern*
What's his face*

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I remember in '97 there was legislation introduced to re-name LAX the "Jimmy Stewart International Airport", whatever became of that??

At this rate were going to call it the three stooges airport, since it's nothing but a huge comedy!
Old August 11th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #9
LAsam
Endless summer

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferneynism View Post
At this rate were going to call it the three stooges airport, since it's nothing but a huge comedy!
Ba-Dum-Ching!
LAsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #10
yamota
Chairman of the Bored

and if you show up late for your flight and hold up the airplane, I think the other passengers should be allowed to poke you in the eye and slap you upside the head, Moe-style
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #11
losangelino

Likes (Received): 2

^or like the guy in Phoenix I believe recently did, just call in a bomb threat from the airport phone and have the plane return to the gate so that you can make your flight. LOL
losangelino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #12
yamota
Chairman of the Bored

I bet when the passengers got a hold of that guy, he got more than just an eye poke from them
Old August 13th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #13
Skyblade
Chasing the skies

Likes (Received): 4

The master plan is slowly taking fruition though unfortunately the website hasn't taken much on updates. So far, runway 7R/25L was moved further south to accommodate a new taxiway that will go between that and 7L/25R. The same is supposed to happen w/ 24L/R in the north but any possibility of moving 24R northward has been met with opposition by Westchester. Last I heard, the plan was once again stalled as a city panel has required more safety studies to look into the need of the runway separation.

The Tom Bradley International Terminal is currently undergoing a $723 million overhaul with the first of four renovated lounges finished and serving Star Alliance airlines that use TBIT. The new satellite terminal west of TBIT was cleared in June to begin construction in two phases as a replacement for the remote gates in the west side of the airport. Currently the former TWA hangars as well as the American Airlines hangars and American Eagle remote terminal occupy this area.

From what I heard, Terminals 1-3 are to stay. Seeing that the aforementioned midfield satellite terminal is currently green-lighted a one-on-one replacement for the remote gates, there is no replacement for the 3 northern terminals.

AFAIK, the consolidated rental car facility, new people mover, new off-airport lots, and transportation center are also green-lighted.
Skyblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #14
Fern~Fern*
What's his face*

Tom Bradley is going thru a renovation, Damn I was unaware of that. So what exactly would they be adding to the terminal?

As far as Westchester opposing this expansion, it was more like Inglewood and El Segundo!
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #15
bruin787
globe trekker

i havent flown out of it in a while, but terminal 1 should also currently be in the process of renovation.

the new center taxiway on the south field is proceeding on schedule.

repairs to the theme building will not be completed this fall as originally planned. the building was in worst shape than first thought, and will require extensive work till well into next year.
bruin787 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #16
Centurymax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
The master plan is slowly taking fruition though unfortunately the website hasn't taken much on updates. So far, runway 7R/25L was moved further south to accommodate a new taxiway that will go between that and 7L/25R. The same is supposed to happen w/ 24L/R in the north but any possibility of moving 24R northward has been met with opposition by Westchester. Last I heard, the plan was once again stalled as a city panel has required more safety studies to look into the need of the runway separation.

The Tom Bradley International Terminal is currently undergoing a $723 million overhaul with the first of four renovated lounges finished and serving Star Alliance airlines that use TBIT. The new satellite terminal west of TBIT was cleared in June to begin construction in two phases as a replacement for the remote gates in the west side of the airport. Currently the former TWA hangars as well as the American Airlines hangars and American Eagle remote terminal occupy this area.

From what I heard, Terminals 1-3 are to stay. Seeing that the aforementioned midfield satellite terminal is currently green-lighted a one-on-one replacement for the remote gates, there is no replacement for the 3 northern terminals.

AFAIK, the consolidated rental car facility, new people mover, new off-airport lots, and transportation center are also green-lighted.
I think they can do a lot, concerning the renovation of LAX, withouth a massive expansion (close neighborhood protests)...But in the next 15-20 years won't be enough!... At least they can expand to the ocean in the future!
Because in the next years, when the flights demand will grew up A LOT, also an airport with a passenger capacity around of 80 mln/year (like the future LAX) it will be not enough.... And that's not clear wich other airports will support the LAX for the Los Angeles area, in the next future... (Ontario? So far away from central city... Long Beach? Trafic limited by the law... Palmdale? So far far away... John wayne? Who knows... Burbank? Maybe...)
I wanna remember you that L.A. metro area will have almost 30 mln people in 2030...
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #17
Skyblade
Chasing the skies

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Tom Bradley is going thru a renovation, Damn I was unaware of that. So what exactly would they be adding to the terminal?
Currently they're working on the airline lounges with the Star Alliance lounge already completed and in operation. There will be a new 45k sq. ft. checked baggage screening facility which should get rid of those accursed machines that take up valuble space in the check-in area as well as just dropping your luggage off at the counter without worrying about having it screened beforehand. Terminals 1-7 will also follow suit in this improvement. There's also making gate 123 A380-capable gate alongside the renovating the terminal itself and the addition of the midfield satellite. One thing noticeable in the project is that the Mexicana counters are temporarily relocated in the arrivals lobby which is meant to make more shoulder-room for renovations upstairs.

Quote:
As far as Westchester opposing this expansion, it was more like Inglewood and El Segundo!
Though of course Inglewood and El Segundo are nevertheless throwing a fit, Westchester is currently taking a lot of the spotlight w/ stalling the Runway 24L/R realignment whereas the 25L/R realignment (the runways that face El Segundo) is already finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin787 View Post
i havent flown out of it in a while, but terminal 1 should also currently be in the process of renovation.
Indeed, Terminal 1 is undergoing a $2.5 million makeover as what occurred with Terminal 3.
Quote:

repairs to the theme building will not be completed this fall as originally planned. the building was in worst shape than first thought, and will require extensive work till well into next year.
I'm also the guys at Encounter are also fixing their menus. I wasn't to wowed with the offerings I was getting with what I was paying for other than a lovely view of the airport. <<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurymax View Post
Ontario? So far away from central city... Long Beach? Trafic limited by the law... Palmdale? John wayne? Who knows... Burbank? Maybe...)
Unfortunately SNA is also slot-restricted while Burbank also has little room for additional capacity. The best Palmdale and Ontario can do for now is serve the markets of their respective catchment areas around the airport. If this persists with no ambitious expansion plans to cope with the growth, I wouldn't be surprised if LAX also went into slot-mode to control capacity.

Gotta love the SoCal airport growth situation...it's an ensuing quandary.

For those interested in any updates on the progress of the improvements, check out the LAXpectations website.

Last edited by Skyblade; August 14th, 2007 at 03:09 AM.
Skyblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #18
Fern~Fern*
What's his face*

So are they proceeding with the original Hann Renovation Plan? What about the famous check in right off the 405 @ Century. Any news on that matter yet. Since most of the homes that were located off La Cienega and Century have been demolished.

Lastly are they actually ever going to remove those annoying stick lights all over Century into LAX. I still don't see the purpose of those and let's not talk about the $$$$ wasted.

Oh yeah any news for the Green Line extension into LAX???
Old August 14th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #19
Fern~Fern*
What's his face*

Quote:

the new center taxiway on the south field is proceeding on schedule.

Is Terminal 1 where they had those nude paintings and some people had a fit?
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #20
bruin787
globe trekker

Quote:
Lastly are they actually ever going to remove those annoying stick lights all over Century into LAX.
the light towers were a permanent addition. they're not going anywhere.

Quote:
Is Terminal 1 where they had those nude paintings and some people had a fit?
it was a tapestry, and it was in Tom Bradley. i never got to see what all the fuss was about.
bruin787 no está en línea   Reply With Quote