daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > European Archives > Urban Archive > Central Europe

Central Europe Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 26th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #1
RawLee

Likes (Received): 234

[Central Europe] Travel Experiences

Ok,here is a thread where locals(from CE)and foreigners(not CE) can share their opinions,experiences from the countries of this region. Idea "borrowed" from EE/balkans.
RawLee no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old August 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2
RawLee

Let me start. This spring,I was in Prague. I liked it very much. I liked the city,though it is a bit dense for that much tourists. I very much like the castle area,and the riverbanks. and erotic shops everywhere We went by car to Prague,which I regret,because your strange motorway between Brno and Prague,and the too many one-way streets. Without GPS,I think we would be lost,though we didnt use the car when we checked out the city. I made a lot of pics(which was the "maiden voyage" for my 2gb CF card),because the city worth it.
RawLee no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #3
kokpit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 21

^ nice, thanks. Good idea of the thread.
I hope I will visit Budapest once too. My mother visited Budapest in late 80's when it was "western city behind Iron curtain" and my brother was there twice in last two years (business trip) so he got me over few experiences and I have many of his photos of Budapest in my computer too.
kokpit no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #4
Wizzard
Prešpurák

Likes (Received): 59

Last year, I was in Vienna, Budapest, Krakow and Prague (in Prague twice )

I loved all those cities, but think that Budapest was the most beautiful, but also Krakow and Prague. I did not like Vienna too much. The first time I was in Prague, I lost when I wanted to go to Charles Bridge, cause I went to Wenceclas Square and I did not know where I am
Wizzard no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #5
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard View Post
Last year, I was in Vienna, Budapest, Krakow and Prague (in Prague twice )

I loved all those cities, but think that Budapest was the most beautiful, but also Krakow and Prague. I did not like Vienna too much. The first time I was in Prague, I lost when I wanted to go to Charles Bridge, cause I went to Wenceclas Square and I did not know where I am
Strange..we wanted to find the Wenceclas Square,and got to Charles Bridge
RawLee no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #6
cernoch

Likes (Received): 2

When we were in Budapest centre this May, we couldn´t find Danube....
cernoch no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #7
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cernoch View Post
When we were in Budapest centre this May, we couldn´t find Danube....
Next time,try Buda side only...it is visible from all of itIn spite of this,did you like the trip?
RawLee no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #8
cernoch

Yes, very much....especially, I liked the modern trams going through the old streets.
cernoch no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #9
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 176

I was in Prague in March 2006. It was a group trip with my former classmates, we went by bus. We stayed at the Hostel A-Plus near Florenc metro station. The hostel was not expensive and it was very good for us, we used it only for sleeping. It was snowing all the time but I have to say that the city was wonderful in white. We wisited all the important sights, I don't want to "waste" more words on them, they were all beautiful (if you don't believe then go to Prague and check it out). We have heared a lot of bad things about the most popular pubs like U Fleku or Kalicha (they are said to be expensive, and full of Japanese and American tourists so there's no real Prague pub-feeling) so we didn't go there but tried many of the smaller and less known ones, and really enjoyed them, for example the 'Two cats' (Dou Kocek?) and 'Ferdinamd'. The hostel was close to the Old Town so we usually went by foot, only seldom took the metro. The only bad experience we had was in a restaurant somwhere in Mala Strana, I forgot the name. We entered because their daily offer seemed to be nice and worth the prize, but as we sat down and ordered, they said that there was no more of the daily offer. The other dishes seemed a bit expensive so we stood up and left, but they charged 50 CZK for the small plate of peanuts on the table, which we left untouched... Anyway I've heared a lot of stories from here, Budapest about the methods "How to make more money out of foreign tourists". Fortunately this was the only bad thing, all the rest of the trip was wonderful and I want to return soon
BND no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #10
Wizzard
Prešpurák

One of my bad experiences in Prague was in the taxi when returning to the hostel in Ládví from Karlovy Lázně disco, when the dark driver told me that taxameter just broke and I paid about 300 ? (I dont remember, maybe 400) CZK. Anyway, I wanted to sleep cause I was tired and did not care about money. Aditionally, I did not remember the name of the hostel and was searching for it till the morning
Wizzard no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #11
Norkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

My travel experiences are poor, especially for last 2-3 yrs. When I have some time, I'm often going to countryside to relax.. From CE, I like especially Balaton region, the Alpes, Gdańsk in PL and czech Giant Mountains (Spindleruv Mlyn). Cities like Budapest or Prague are nice, but not good as London or Bruxelles
Norkey no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #12
trashmaster01

Likes (Received): 0

I just spend two wonderful weeks in prague month ago...What was so interesting on this trip, is that I was there with my wife and our little daughter, so we were visting playgrounds for kids in general.(there´s is lot of them, we were just crossing the city, and took a break every 30minutes on some playground, in many cases it was near or in some park, after some time we had our favourites-best is in grobovka park).We spend most of the time in vinohrady district were we also stayed(we stayed in vrsovice,but it was so close), and becasue we needed silence and peace to keep our daghter´s sleep in garriage, we keep away from centre and enjoyed also some other "without tourist" districts and all of them were just amazing.So no sightseening on this trip(i don´t like that places either, it is very beautiful but those huge bunches of tourist just broke the atmosphere of that rarity places).But we also enjoyed some pubs in vinohrady, but only in case we succeed with little one´s sleep.
Conclusion is that prague is friendly to live in, and people can take a walk to many beautiful places and it doesn´t have to be in downtown....
(What i really recomend is pruhonicky park, 15km south east from prague)
And last thing, photo from "our" flat in vrsovice.View on Pankrac...
trashmaster01 no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #13
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmaster01 View Post
And last thing, photo from "our" flat in vrsovice.View on Pankrac...
This photo (with caption "Come to beautiful Prague") should go in tourist brochures instead of Prague Castle - it looks like a third world country, that should keep the tourist numbers down so travel in Prague will be less hassled! (Hey just joking)

We are dying to get back to Prague, but stuck here in the "far east" for now and the plane fare is so damn expensive. It is a few years now but we loved it, absolute magic. My wife Lenka was going on about wanting to go to Paris and we got off the train from Germany and walked a couple of blocks down Celetna and I said "forget Paris, everything is here but much better". (She should know, she lived in Smichov darn it!) We had to go to Vienna too soon and it is a bit boring beside Prague, I wanted to stay in Prague much longer.

There was a great cafe/bar near narodni divadlo called Novaks, on V jircharich I think, I wonder if it still there. (Fortunately there are some good Czech restaurants here in Sydney otherwise I would go crazy without my svickova!)

Czech tourist authorities I think despair that everyone is visiting Prague and not the rest of the country. They are missing out a lot. We also went to Mala Skala (Cesky raj) and Tabor where my wife's families come from. Beautiful country in Cesky raj. The country train service so slow though. It took hours to get to Mala Skala and the train stopped for an hour in Mlada Boleslav for no apparent reason and everybody just got out and patiently smoked their cigarettes on the platform! So many details to remember - I loved it. Czech Republic is a jewel.

I also went to east Berlin under communism once but that is another story.
historyworks no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #14
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyworks View Post
Czech tourist authorities I think despair that everyone is visiting Prague and not the rest of the country. They are missing out a lot.
Same here. Apart from Budapest, I have never seen tourist in other major cities. I regularly visit Miskolc and Debrecen and Nyíregyháza,but I have never seen any foreign visitors(Debrecen even has an international airport!).
RawLee no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #15
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 3145

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyworks View Post
Czech tourist authorities I think despair that everyone is visiting Prague and not the rest of the country.
It is true?! Last year we made a little trip to the Czech Republic, when we visited Brno, Jihlava, České Budějovice, Český Krumlov, Tábor, Kutná Hora, Kolin and Praha (Prague) and all we could find was foreign tourist everywhere. Especially in the two breathtaking places, České Budějovice, Český Krumlov.

In late September I'm going to visit Karlovy Vary... I'm sure I'll excidently bump into some elder british or german visiters, don't You think?

Last edited by Qtya; August 27th, 2007 at 01:35 PM.
Qtya no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #16
Qtya
sensational

Its not exactly the CE, but last week I managed to travel from Vienna to Belgrade(Beograd) by train (and in return to Budapest)... There was a Beerfest in Belgrade and I was meeting a friend there. Belgrade surprised me very much. It was clean and ordered. The whole city was fantastic. My friends were a little bit worried, that I'm going to the 'dreadful' SERBIAN capital all by myself, but I had a great time. Very mediterranian city, and You can eat the best Pljeskavica there... I can only say: Must visit!

One more thing: The train was late only in Hungary... I mean naturally it was late, but only because the Hungarian section...
Qtya no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #17
cernoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtya View Post
It is true?! Last year we made a little trip to the Czech Republic, when we visited Brno, Jihlava, České Budějovice, Český Krumlov, Tábor, Kutná Hora, Kolin and Praha (Prague) and all we could find was foreign tourist everywhere. Especially in the two breathtaking places, České Budějovice, Český Krumlov.
You are right that there are a lot of tourists in Kutná Hora or Český Krumlov because these towns are UNESCO world heritage sites. I have also seen some Japanese visitors in České Budějovice but not so many. The other mentioned places are visited only by Germans. However, they are everywhere here because of ten times lower prices and small distance from their home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtya View Post
In late September I'm going to visit Karlovy Vary... I'm sure I'll excidently bump into some elder british or german visiters, don't You think?
There will be, for a change, only Russian tourists.
cernoch no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #18
Kiryl

Likes (Received): 11

heh...I have strange experience.When I was 6,so it was long time ago.I was coming back from Italy to Poland.Of course through CZech Republik.My father didn't observe that one light in our car was broken.One Czech policeman stopped us and wanted a bribe..He wanted about 50 DM.My father gave him 50 italian liras and told that it's the same than DM. That wasn't a truth because lires had funny low exchange rates.about 2000 times fewer than DM.It was a good deal
Kiryl no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #19
Qtya
sensational

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiryl65 View Post
heh...I have strange experience.When I was 6,so it was long time ago.I was coming back from Italy to Poland.Of course through CZech Republik.My father didn't observe that one light in our car was broken.One Czech policeman stopped us and wanted a bribe..He wanted about 50 DM.My father gave him 50 italian liras and told that it's the same than DM. That wasn't a truth because lires had funny low exchange rates.about 2000 times fewer than DM.It was a good deal
As You mentioned, it had to be really long time ago...
Qtya no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #20
Wizzard
Prešpurák

LOL, your father gave him a bill equal to 1 SKK
Wizzard no está en línea  

Closed Thread