daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #1
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 248

BAYSHORE | Crescent Bayshore | 8 stories | 367 units | U/C

Bayshore complex soon will give way to new development
By EMILY NIPPS, Times Staff Writer
Published November 16, 2007

HYDE PARK NORTH - A fence obscures the outdated pink and green paint job, and signs on the doors warn trespassers of asbestos.

The old apartment complex at 319 Bayshore Ave., a Bayshore landmark for more than 50 years, has met its final days.

The last tenants have moved out, and the property's developer, Crescent Resources, is ready to demolish the complex to make way for something new.

"We have some conceptual designs in the works," said Richard Buck of Crescent. "But it's too early to say exactly what the plans are at this point."

Condominiums are a possibility, Buck said, but the developer also "may very well be taking a stab at underwriting it as a rental property."

One thing is certain: The new building or buildings will add a different look and feel to the corner of Bayshore and Platt Street. And that may or may not make neighboring residents and businesses happy.

Crescent, which bought the Bayshore apartments for $5.5-million in 2001, presented plans three years ago to build a 20-story tower on the site. The proposal drew several protests from home and business owners, whose complaints ranged from traffic congestion to sewage overcapacity to the fear of Bayshore turning into a "concrete jungle."

Ultimately, the City Council voted against the proposal.

Buck said Crescent will be ready to unveil the latest plans in another two to three months. No rezoning applications have been filed for the property, and no hearings are scheduled.

Emily Nipps can be reached at nipps@sptimes.com or 813 226-3431.

[Last modified November 15, 2007, 07:51:43]

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/11/16/Ci...lex_soon.shtml

Last edited by desertpunk; September 28th, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 16th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #2
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 42

That's a great part of Bayshore for a tall tower. There is already one on either side (345 and 1 Bayshore) and it's just a hop skip and a jump from the CBD. Traffic isn't as much of an issue either since it's at the very end of Bayshore--Downtown would absorb most of the hit.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #3
thehappysmith
Two-bit Hack

Likes (Received): 2

An old negotiating tactic involves starting from a completely unacceptable but highly probable position, in order to encourage favorable compromise from the other side. Developers seem unwilling to use this tactic lately for fear of not being seen as "good citizens." Yet being good citizens, as Citivest has shown farther down Bayshore, doesn't seem to have any positive impact on whether a development is approved or not.

Crescent should look at the maximum density, height, and impermeable surface area permitted by their zoning, and fill every last cubic inch of it with some sort of neo-Brutalist design that will offend everyone, even people in other cities; something the pope and the Dalai Lama will both denounce as inhuman. And they should then point out that they are fully within their zoning rights and if the city denies it they'll just sue, cost everybody a bunch of money, and win in the courts and build it anyway.
Then, after the hew and cry, they can come back with the real proposal, whether it requires a zoning change or height variance or whatever, and offer to do that instead, and see if that gets them anywhere. I'd love to see a proposal of giant concrete commie-blocks and open parking garages with no landscaping at all. Just to see the city and the residents complain about something actually worth complaining about for once.
thehappysmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #4
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 55

Crescent Resources Inc. and Citall Development want to rezone several lots on Hyde Park Place, West Platt Street and Bayshore Boulevard to allow construction of 375 residences adjacent to The Parkside at One Bayshore. The Parkside is a 17-story condominium complex developed by Crescent nearly five years ago across from a Publix grocery store on Platt.
The Tampa Tribune - Dec 8, 2010
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #5
Casey

Likes (Received): 43

Here's the full post:

Crescent Resources Inc. and Citall Development want to rezone several lots on Hyde Park Place, West Platt Street and Bayshore Boulevard to allow construction of 375 residences adjacent to The Parkside at One Bayshore. The Parkside is a 17-story condominium complex developed by Crescent nearly five years ago across from a Publix grocery store on Platt. The new project would include four eight-story buildings.

The Architectural Review Commission in November recommended approval of the project.

http://southtampa2.tbo.com/content/2...et-public-hea/
Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 03:50 AM   #6
Casey

Likes (Received): 43

Anybody see any renderings of the new proposal? This supposedly went before the Architectural Review Commission in November but this is the first I've heard of it.
Casey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 05:25 AM   #7
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 422

This property was up for rezoning this morning at the city council meeting.
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 681

Nothing will happen any time soon.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #9
smiley

Likes (Received): 109

Crescent Resources apartment project clears city hurdle
Tampa Bay Business Journal

Date: Friday, March 4, 2011, 10:27am EST
Related:
Residential Real Estate

Rezoning for an $80 million apartment complex at Bayshore Boulevard and West Platt Street in Tampa won approval in a second round of voting by the City Council on Thursday.

The 375-unit development now moves to the city’s Architectural Review Commission, which has oversight since part of the 6-acre site is within the Hyde Park Historic District.

Developer Crescent Resources hopes to break ground on the project by the end of the year.

The March 4 edition of the TBBJ has more information about the project.
http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...t.html?s=print
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #10
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 422

I have hopes something will come out of this. So many disappointments in this city in recent months, something actually happening would be nice.

I found this interesting though, I stumbled upon it while looking around the web. Don't know if it's related to this project or something different. Maybe we'll be seeing something come out of it soon?

Quote:
AUSTIN, Texas - Poised to start work this month in Austin, Crescent Resources LLC will put its Circle brand on its first student housing project. Delivery is planned for June 2012.

The 167-unit Circle West Campus will sit on a 1.6-acre tract at the intersection of West 25th and Longview streets at the doorstep of the University of Texas. The Circle concept is in play in four market-rate developments in Tampa and Jacksonville, Fla. and the developer's homeport of Charlotte, N.C. The design is environmentally conscious and upscale.

"Circle West Campus will offer a unique student-living experience that isn't typically found in campus housing. The community's uncommon amenities will provide a great environment for both study and recreation," said Todd Farrell, president of Crescent Resources' multifamily development group.

The amenities include a resort-style pool, tanning beds, community study cafe and lounge, recreation room with interactive gaming systems, pool table and poker table. Student residents will have access to covered parking and a community grilling area. The unit mix will have 477 beds in studios, one-, two- and four-bedroom floor plans.
Circle West Campus was designed by Kelly Grossman Architects LLC of Austin. The general contractor is Rampart Construction of Austin and Grapevine, Texas. The civil engineer is Bury+Partners, Inc., also from Austin. The project was financed with equity from Crescent Resources, mezzanine financing from Transwestern Mezzanine Realty Partners III LLC, and a construction loan from Capital One Bank. Holliday Fenoglio Fowler L.P.'s Dallas office arranged the financing.
http://dallasrealestate.citybizlist....le-Brand.aspx#
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #11
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
I have hopes something will come out of this. So many disappointments in this city in recent months, something actually happening would be nice.
There's not a snowballs chance in hell the project will be nice... This is a risky market, so it will be built as cheaply as possible. Just look at how they are building a squatty stucco shitbox that covers the entire site with impermeable surface. I think they even made it short enough to get away with wood construction above the 1st floor. lol
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #12
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 136

Tyvek Temrmite Traps. That's how they built the majority of that Westend place & it is four stories of frame. I lived in a 3-story apartment complex in the 90's that was stucco slapped on frame. Wouldn't want to be there in a hurricane. I know that standards are stricter now with lumber construction but still, I won't live in one.
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #13
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 731

I laugh at some of the condo complexes in South Tampa because of the way they were constructed. They will easily be blown to bits by a cat 4 or 5 hurricane.
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:40 AM   #14
youngkg
Tampa - St Pete

Likes (Received): 2

From the rendering, it looks like it will only be 8 stories. What a waste of height in a prime location like that. This project should at least be 18-20 stories given that location.

Quote:
TAMPA — A 375-unit apartment development at the southern edge of downtown Tampa could be under construction by the end of the year.
The $80 million project on Bayshore Boulevard south of West Platt Street demonstrates continued strength in the multifamily real estate market, said attorney Truett Gardner of Gardner Brewer Martinez-Monfort. The Tampa law firm is representing developer Crescent Resources of Charlotte, N.C.
“The economy is improving,” Gardner said. “People who were bunking together are looking for the own place, and we’ve had several years with no new product on the market.”

Tampa Bay Business Journal
http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...on-way-to.html
youngkg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #15
Del Mayberry

From the rendering, it looks like they are only building on half the land that the old apartments were on. Right? The article says "could be" under construction & knowing Tampa's reputation, that most likely means "not going to happen" but if it does, eight stories is better than four. We will see concrete construction instead of lumber. Agreed with Youngkg that this area should be designated to 15 to 20 stories. The people in the upper floors of One Bayshore will now have only a roof to look at from south views it this is actually built.
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #16
Del Mayberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
I laugh at some of the condo complexes in South Tampa because of the way they were constructed. They will easily be blown to bits by a cat 4 or 5 hurricane.
What's even worse than all of the crappy frame apartments, there is still a trailer park on Westshore. WHY? Getting off topic and don't want to open something new so I'll hush up about this.
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #17
jonknee
Downtown resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
A cat 5 storm would destroy even well built complexes. According to the official summary of the Saffir-Simpson, a cat 5 storm means: catastrophic damage will occur, a high percentage of frame homes will be destroyed (with total roof failure and wall collapse), a high percentage of industrial buildings and low-rise apartment buildings will be destroyed, and nearly all windows will be blown out of high-rise buildings. Oh and also the storm surge will mean many South Tampa homes would be under water too, so good luck.
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #18
jonknee
Downtown resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Mayberry View Post
From the rendering, it looks like they are only building on half the land that the old apartments were on. Right? The article says "could be" under construction & knowing Tampa's reputation, that most likely means "not going to happen" but if it does, eight stories is better than four. We will see concrete construction instead of lumber. Agreed with Youngkg that this area should be designated to 15 to 20 stories. The people in the upper floors of One Bayshore will now have only a roof to look at from south views it this is actually built.
The parking deck for One Bayshore is about 8 stories too, which makes me think it's to protect views. It's the same developer for both buildings too...
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #19
Del Mayberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonknee View Post
The parking deck for One Bayshore is about 8 stories too, which makes me think it's to protect views. It's the same developer for both buildings too...
Awesome. That's the way all buildings should be built that are on or near the water especially in peninsular Tampa. That way only the parking floods, instead of getting into the interiors. Plus it would cost a lot less to repair/rebuild parking if it's damaged from surge water. There is some kind of roll down hurricane shutters that can be installed on high rise buildings (condos) to protect the windows. They have them in S. Florida but some complained that they are an eyesore. How dumb. They would only be used during a hurricane, not permanently.
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #20
ATampaArnold

Likes (Received): 19

Yeah that would be a waste of a prime piece of land to only be in 8 stories. I know that the people in 234 bayshore or whatever that building is bitched about the hieght blocking their views but is not a reason to decrease the height. That happens in all cities, that is why if you were that concerned you should buy in a area that your view cant be obstructed. Plus that buidling is also all rentals and feels like a dorm. We thought about buying there once but it wasn't that nice.
ATampaArnold no está en línea   Reply With Quote