daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Old August 4th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #1
london lad

Likes (Received): 475

Canary Quarter / Indescon Court | Docklands | 95m | 31 fl

Bit of news on this site in the MQ area of Docklands- Cant quite remmeber what the orignal scheme was or where abouts in the MQ it is- was it the terry farrell designed scheme I cant remember????

http://icthewharf.icnetwork.co.uk/th...name_page.html

FLATS AND HOTEL REPLACE OFFICES Aug 4 2005

By Renato Castello

SIR Robert Ogden CBE has scrapped offices in favour of apartments as another major development in the Millennium Quarter reacts to a faltering commercial market. On Monday (August 1) RPS Planning, agents for the businesstycoon, lodged plans to replace offices with a hotel and short-stay apartments as part of the £100million redevelopment of Indescon Court, Millharbour.

The hotel will be situated in an 84-metre tower on the eastern side of the site, which lies at the heart of the council's Millennium Quarter. The new plans affect only the eastern side of thedevelopment and will also include shops, workspaces and community facilities.

The changes would boost the number of apartments in the scheme to 850.

RPS senior planning director Paula Carney said: ``We want to crack on and develop the site and need to incorporate different uses than commercial.''

The new look Indescon Court follows a trend of developers in the Millennium Quarter ditching their office plans in favour of residential developments.

Ballymore Properties changed its schemes - Arrowhead Quay and 1 Millharbour - from offices to homes and Capital & Provident chose to build the apartment complex Discovery Dock instead of offices.

Rupert Cherryman, director of commercial property agent Cherrymansaid office content had ``significantly reduced'' in the area.

``I don't think it's a bad thing that residential is nudging up against Canary Wharf because it provides a more varied environment,'' he said.

But Tower Hamlets Councillor Alan Amos said the borough had allowed developers to break a Millennium Quarter masterplan, drawn up in 2000, by allowing taller and more intense developments.

``The whole point of the plan was to allow a strategic plan for the area,'' he said.

``But now they are cramming as much concrete and glass as they can in this tiny pocket of land. It's gross overdevelopment which future generations will curse
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 4th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #2
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2819

i agree about the overdevelopment... discovery dock is a classic example of this. its HORRIBLE. the council only have themselves to blame though, i said back in 2000/2001 this would happen, developers need a certain density on the site and if the council stops them building up they will build out. just check out the original 1 millharbour plans to see what the council ruined.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #3
london lad

Found a bit more info on this but still cant work out which one was the original scheme was- Is this site next to Marsh Wall??

http://www.metwork.co.uk/

The Team negotiated outline consent in 2003/4 with the London Borough of Tower Hamlets for the redevelopment of Indescon Court at Millharbour south of Canary Wharf. The development included new offices, residential and retail. The site is at the heart of the Borough’s Millennium Quarter which comprises five million square feet of offices and 2,000 new homes.

The medium rise part of the scheme is centred around a new London square, Lightermans Gardens, which will be the main public open space within the Millennium Quarter. This phase comprises 450 apartments in eight storey wings. Live-work units are provided on a new lane linking this area to the Jubilee Line Station to the North.

In 2005 a new alternative mixed use proposal comprising retail, hotel, workspace and community facilities has been designed and submitted for OPA. This comprises a tower cluster adding over 400 apartments. A conservatory ‘sky lobby’ has upriver views to Tower Bridge.

The massing of this new phase enables the scheme to make the transition between the high rise commercial district to the north and the existing low rise suburban residential to the south. The alternative Phase 2 provides 35% affordable homes.

Client: Sir Robert Ogden CBE LLD
gross area:88,500m2
cost :c. £100 million

Old August 4th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #4
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 227

I really don't see the need for all this colourful trippy tripe that they keep designing, sure everything neednt be grey and dull...but the more wacky they make it, the quicker it'll age.. this is no better to me than the 60's stuff that scarred our cities already.
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Pagwilliams

Likes (Received): 0

I think it's great! It's about time that the Island got something funky -and I doubt it will be around long enough to age - when they move city airport (in 15-20 years or so) the entire Millenium Quarter will be replaced with super-tall buildings (that's what I reckon anyway!)
Pagwilliams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #6
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1631

Cor. Dense-o-rama!
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #7
Cabman
Do A Little Dance

Likes (Received): 12

This area was the hub of regeneration 15 years ago before canary wharf took off. Since the docklands bomb this area has never really recovered and now lt looks quite sad and lacks direction or focus. A wholesale shift towards housing is the only way forward as far as I can see. There is plenty of future office development planned further north around Canary wharf. With the city and southwark set to go skywards along with potentially huge amounts of office space around stratford city, the south quay area of the IOD's will find it increasingly difficult to let space that exists now let alone anything new.

I have to agree with Gothic's comments and sentiments about the area especially discovery dock. It is plain awful when compared to the likes of plantation wharf and if ever there was an example of how not to urban plan these days then that is it. I watched this area go from a single red bricked road back in the mid eighties with hardly a building in sight to an exciting vibrant bustling office district in the early nineties. Now the best thing that could happen to much that went up then is demolition. I hope the current proposals in the area will do much to reverse the trend.

Idescon Court by the way is on Millharbour and is a modern incarnation of the rather lovely Lanterns court next door which I hope is listed.
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #8
Pagwilliams

Unfortunately Lanterns Court is heading for demolition - there's a planning application in to transform it into apartments - you can see it on the TH planning website
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #9
Pagwilliams

This is the link to the design statement for Lanterns court - this development will sit directly South of Indescon court. Looks like the millenium Quarter is going to start taking shape soon!

http://194.201.98.213:8080/servlet/U...=0&docid=48229
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #10
london lad

Cheers guys - got an idea where it is now. This scheme looks similar in scope & scale , as well as massing for a planned develpment to the north of here on Marsh wall (I posted pics of that one on the London develpment thread a few weeks ago- will try & re-post them here later if I have time)
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #11
london lad

Just noticed that Lantern court is being designed by Squire & Partners- Is there any residentials in the docklands that these guys dont do- still at least the tower in that one will be curved which makes a change from their recent efforts!!
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #12
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1631

Bizarrre transparent renderings I must say.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #13
Pagwilliams

Directly to the North of Indescon Court will be London Millharbour - Link below. This got permission AGES ago, but there's a lack of action. Does anyone have any updates?

http://londonmillharbour.co.uk/millharbour.html

North of this will be a 21 storey office building, plus hotel and residential tower. Design statement follows. Any news on this?

http://194.201.98.213:8080/servlet/U...=0&docid=70571

Also, directly across the road from Indescon court will be 31-49 Millharbour - a 22 storey residential tower - Design statement below

http://194.201.98.213:8080/servlet/U...=0&docid=61508

And to the North of that (with an unplanned space and public park between) will be the 1 Millharbour towers.

Maybe we should re-name this the official Millharbour thread - other than one site, the entire street is now in planning stage!

Can one of you wizzy blokes wip up a rendering of all of the buildings together? (or would that be a LOT of work?)
Old August 4th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #14
Mikey
Aerial Erector

Likes (Received): 2

I imagine they decided to increase the height when Millharbour got approved. It looks a bit odd though, why not just do an actual render not some weird transparant one!
Old August 4th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #15
london lad

Pag - the 2nd one u mentioned is the following- Architects are EPR- quite like this. Notice that all these proposals outlined today have a low rise element to the west & a 20ish storey element to the east.

Old August 5th, 2005, 01:46 AM   #16
Pagwilliams

I hadn't seen colour renderings before - where are they from? Looks better than I thought - no more steel and glass please - we need some colour on the skyline! I thought there was meant to be a residential tower on the bottom left corner...it's not on that pic!
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #17
jef

Likes (Received): 5

The developer has informed LBTH that it intends to start construction of the residential phase 1 (mid-rise) in January 2007.

Last edited by jef; January 4th, 2007 at 01:55 PM.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #18
bundy

is this anything to do with any of this. map on site says this is in the Millennium Quarter but I cannot work out which one it is.

http://www.galliardhomes.com/propert...x?param=single
bundy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #19
Dan1987

http://tinyurl.com/y358le

Seems like it'll be here, but the renderings seem to indicate its right next to the DLR??
Dan1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #20
jef

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy View Post
is this anything to do with any of this. map on site says this is in the Millennium Quarter but I cannot work out which one it is.

http://www.galliardhomes.com/propert...x?param=single
This is the development in Poplar.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote