daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Photos

Old April 9th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #1
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 503

Riga photo collection place by place

Some forumers have said that could be interesting to see the less known and unknown parts of N&B cities (and I also always look at those pictures with very strong interest) I decided to make a special thread devoted to Riga where I am going post my new & old pictures of Riga organizing them by places. That means, every time when I post here will be pictures from only one particular area in Riga.

This time - triangular area between railway, Gogoļa and Dzirnavu streets (approximately 0,2 km2) that is neighboured to centre in southern direction. Here you see it in the map (small red triangle):

1. Facade of apartment building next to Transport ministry of Latvia and railway

2. Wealthy people live here, the courtyard is full of great cars

3. View to that square beside that courtyard. Science Academy highrise dominates the view around this district - you will see it from some other angles in next pictures also

4. Looking back to railway. City centre over there. Reval Hotel Latvia overtops.

5. Outside the centre, but - no escape from great architecture in Riga!

7. Here you see how the railway delimits this area. In the right direction trains goes to Daugavpils and Russia - Moscow, to the left - to Jelgava and Liepāja.

8. Two massive apartment gigants from different times. First one - newer...

9. ... second - older:

11. View to the Puškina street to Daugava riverside direction

12. Some boxy, depressing and boring looking apartment building

15. Dzirnavu street southern part. Further to north this street goes through the centre, cross it south-north.

16. Even here, some 1 km from Riga Central Market, is building which resembles the style of market warehouses

18. Dzirnavu street again

19. Quite weird - wooden fence from one side, masonry wall from other, building in the middle

21. Dzirnavu street tunnel below the railway - go through and you're in centre

24. Science Academy from one courtyard

27. Jēzusbaznīcas (Jesus Christ Church) street - Latvian Television highrise in background

28. Memorial in commemoration of jews killed in Latvia in 1941-1945. It was built in 1993.

35. Some interesting wooden architecture

36. Old warehouses

37. Sad view:

40. Going back to centre direction

41. Once - a proud king, now - a beggar that struggles for survival. Luxury has gone, but the greatness and charm is still there:

43. That old warehouse complex from other side:

44. Dress for pregnant womans, fortunetelling & astrology salon and hairdressing salon - all in this lovely wooden house

45. Some playing with reflections:

46. Orthodox church in Gogoļa street - built in 1818. Construction costs in terms of money of that times - 116 000 roubles.

47. Finally Science Academy by itself:

51. Over street - Central Market

52. Stockmann's urban brutality:

53. Ministry of Transport - enormous building

54. Riga time

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

UPCOMING: Malta 2013 | Cagliari 2013 | Amsterdam 2013 | Stockholm 2011

Last edited by Vecais Sakarnis; February 20th, 2010 at 03:16 PM.
Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 9th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Gatis

Likes (Received): 424

Great!

This church has been built over another - older late Barocco church. If you are lucky to go inside - the old interior is gorgeous!

Ambermarks - landmarks of Latvia
Gatis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #3
ristov

Likes (Received): 0

oh, how i love those little bit abandoned yards, ESPECIALLY in riga
ristov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Jarmo K
3:36

Likes (Received): 42

ah yes, very-very familiar area - i have wandered here many times! my favorite building here is that big wooden church seen in 2 of your photos.

this is a very-very good idea for a thread, i wish you good luck for the next phototours!

(but i would love to see some OTHER side of daugava as well - very rarely we've seen it in this forum... i'm planning to take a little nigh-trip to tornakalns and agenskalns which gatis showed me the last time i was in riga - lovely places! i hope not to dangerous for a lone walker at night! )
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Vecais Sakarnis

Thanks! Yes, Tornakalns un Agenskalns are very beautiful areas - one of my top-destinations in Riga for in-depth exploration this year. But hard to imagine how safe & light they are in night.

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

Old April 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #6
Nõgesh

Damn, I like that nice building in the 41st pic, too bad it's in a condition like that.
Nõgesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #7
staff
囧!

Likes (Received): 443

Very nice shots. Love the grit!
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:48 AM   #8
varlamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais Sakarnis View Post
41. Once - a proud king, now - a beggar that struggles for survival. Luxury has gone, but the greatness and charm is still there:

What an amazingly grand building! I hope it gets reconstructed soon like many other such fine buildings in Riga. Thanks for such an informative photo-tour.
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #9
FREKI
Pip pip pip boom..

Likes (Received): 2027

Great work and pics mate - I recongnice a few places from the meet up last summer, especially the Science Academy
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Nomels
SSC censors - go subtle

Likes (Received): 136

Beautiful - thanks for sharing, man
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #11
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 425

High contrast...so common in the Baltics:
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #12
Mulefisk

Likes (Received): 47

Fantastic shot. I love the sort of depleted atmosphere in your shots.
Mulefisk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #13
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 949

Nice thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais Sakarnis View Post
Some forumers have said that could be interesting to see the less known and unknown parts of N&B cities
Yes, and also would be cool to see grand photothreads (NO to googled pics, do it all yourself!) of some different cities than our capitals, so much is unknown.
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 03:02 AM   #14
Nomels
SSC censors - go subtle

Likes (Received): 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þróndeimr View Post
Nice thread!

Yes, and also would be cool to see grand photothreads (NO to googled pics, do it all yourself!) of some different cities than our capitals, so much is unknown.
Great suggestion, I'm in
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #15
Vecais Sakarnis

Time for another area exploration in Riga. This time it will be remote and ugly area not far from Riga south-eastern border - Pļavnieki district and part of Dārzciems district, consisted mainly of warehouses, industrial buildings and commieblocks. So, don't wait anything aesthetic and beautiful, more to common post-Soviet urban views. Area is quite big - around 2 sq.km, but not too many pictures, because not much at least slightly interesting to see there. Here you see area in the map (red - active exploration area, blue - previous shown areas).

1. We start with look to Katlakalna street, our way leads forward to it, where in the background you can see Pļavnieki commie district:

2. This street is surrounded by extensively built-up area, where ugly Soviet time storehouse & industrial buildings... (like these)

5. ...mixes with much better looking new ones:

7. While in Bauska I surprisingly met real horse feeding in the meadow, here I found nothing better than this one:

8. Pļavnieki commieblock wall over there:

9. Here Katlakalna street becomes A. Saharova street, local supermarket on the corner:

10. We're coming closer to Pļavnieki commies

11. So called "french project" highrises up to 18 storeys high built of in-situ reinforced concrete. The casting design was commissioned in France, the buildings in this series were built floor by floor, filling the castings with concrete.

12. Don't know what's these massive pipes. Maybe someone knows?

13. I like they

14. In this picture looks like those 2 trucks competes in streetrace It wasn't that, thank God!

15. Those pipes are seemingly endless:

16. The city is constructing new commieblocks here...

17. ...beside the old ones:

18. If I had to choose where to live in this district that would be one of these 2 quite human-looking apartment highrises:

19. Weird - cosy wooden restaurant in the middle of concrete jungle:

22. Some flower kiosks alongside the pavement:

23. Lubānas street with view to TV Tower, which is 4 km away (air distance)

24. Just a nice early-spring flowers in the garden (with not so nice housekeeper who came to curse with me about photographing):

25. The End

Old April 17th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #16
Gatis

Ha, that is the depressive district in Riga There could be uglier places in Riga, but I feel depressed exactly in this one.

One of our late high-tech factories Producing glass, which lets through per 8% more light than common glass:
http://www.groglass.lv/index.php?name=products

Old April 17th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #17
Geborgenheit
Liberté

Likes (Received): 1805

Nice pictures of Pļavnieki. Picture number 8 makes an impression, that commieblocks are surrounded by long grey wall like some kind of ghetto. However, the price of m2 in such commieblocks is about 2000 Euro. You won't believe it.
Geborgenheit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #18
ristov

according to those 2 pictureshows here:
damn, riga is the only city in n&b area which has DIVERSITY.
and a very unpopular opinion: i don't want that everything in riga will be renovated because then it's soooooo booooring. a real metriopol should have its "black" areas
ristov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #19
Vecais Sakarnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ristov View Post
and a very unpopular opinion: i don't want that everything in riga will be renovated because then it's soooooo booooring. a real metriopol should have its "black" areas
For now, we have too much those "black areas". Sometimes it's really depressing, even in the centre, for example, Čaka street with all its beautiful architecture but those dirty, faded facades... just sad. Maybe you're right and there is no need for Riga to be like those over-clean and perfect German or Scandinavian cities, it's a bit boring really. But today's look is just too much on the other end of scale. Maybe great compromise would be like those southern European cities - Barcelona, Lisbon, f.e., which in overall looks renovated and developed, but at the same time have quite many "scarred" buildings as well. "Black" areas had to be like a salt and pepper to meal - not otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ristov View Post
according to those 2 pictureshows here:
damn, riga is the only city in n&b area which has DIVERSITY.
Really?? Tallinn hasn't diversity of "black" and "white" areas? F.e., Kopli area and Old Town? Vilnius hasn't? I think, it's very common for all Baltic states.

Old April 18th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #20
Gatis

Quote:
Maybe great compromise would be like those southern European cities - Barcelona, Lisbon, f.e., which in overall looks renovated and developed, but at the same time have quite many "scarred" buildings as well.
I got overall impression that Lisbon looks worse than Riga.

Tags
map, riga, suburbs