daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > European Archives > Urban Archive > Eastern Europe / Balkans

Closed Thread

Old April 16th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Alle

Likes (Received): 3

[Alpe-Adria] - Castles and Fortresses

There are plenty of castles and fortresses throghout our region, from southeastern Bosnia to Slovenia. So ive decided to start a thread for discussion and presentation of them.

Many of them are from medieval times whereas some were founded even before both the slavs and romans, thousands of years ago, and have since been further enhanced in increments.

Information about some of the below objects can be found here http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/cultureheri...cuments_en.asp

http://www.seecorridors.eu/?w_p=27&w_l=2&w_c=3

Bosnia

Bosnia has ca 300 registered fortresses and castles. Some more spectacular than others. Unfortunately many are unmanaged, because of lack of resources i suppose. I hope that they will one day be refurbished. Below follows a couple of ones.

Tesanj Castle

The foundation of this fortification was started even before the romans conquered the region. Exact dates are unknown. It was later enhanced by the romans, slavs and the the ottoman forces. It has been primarily a defensive fortification.

Doboj Fortress

The first iteration of this fortress was bult in the 10th/11th century and was strengthened with stone strucutres in the 13th century. (This is all during the same period during which Bosnias earliest known university was built in Visoko, also being one of the oldest universities in Europe for studies of Theology, Ethics, Cosmology and Medicine). It was a place for an important battle as the hungarians were heavily defeated there by the join Bosnian Nobolity army and the Ottomans in the early 15th century. After which it was enhanced and adapted for cannons with another wall and other improvements.

Pre war image

Today (it has been refurbished)

Srebrenik Fortress

Another central bosnian fortress, this one was built in 1333. It was once considerably larger but some of its walls and structure has since collapsed. This fortress was occupied by the Ban of the Bosnian Banate, Stjepan Kotromanic until his death in 1352.

Visoki Castle

Built near the settlement Visoko, it was an important fortress in medieval Bosnia and used by the royalty of Bosnia. Many important medieval documents were signed here, at a height of ca 800m. If i recall it correctly the oldest known bosnian document, written by Ban Kulin, was found in this area of Bosnia. Also being the oldest written document known in the south slavic languages.

A reconstruction/model of the orignal castle

Overhead illustration

Gradacac Castle

Finished in the 19th century, by the same general who with his army was able to defend Bosnia from attacks from the north in a time when the ottomans could not. In 1831 the same general rallied the Bosnians against the turkish occupation and drove the ottomans out to Kosovo, winning Bosnia its sovereignty for the coming year. Hence this fortification has great historic importance for bosnians. It has been recently renovated.

http://www.gradacac.net/pages/gradaca7.JPG

http://www.gradacac.net/images/grada...radina_jpg.jpg

Eminagica Konak

Its estimated that this building was built in the early 19th century.

Croatia

Trakoscan Castle

Kljucica

This fortification was built in the 13th century and was once one of the strongest in the area.

Dvorac Veliki Tabor

This castle just look awesome. It was founded in the 12th century, after which it has been incrementally enhanced.

Some history http://www.gresna-gorica.com/_eng/ve..._desinicka.php

Luznica

A croatian castle from the 18th century

Slovenia

Ljubljana Castle

Completed in 1144

Prem

Founded in the second half of the 12th century and has been improved since, not least in the 15th century.

Dobrovo and Kombrek

These were built in the 1600's in typical rennaiscance style

Bogensperk

A castle of great importance to Slovenias educational/science heritage. Its original owner Janez Vajkard Valvasor was a member of the british royal society. From the 1600's.

Gracarjev Turn

Founded in the 14th century and further enhanced in the 16th century. Was damaged in WW2 but is undergoing restoration.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]

Last edited by Alle; April 16th, 2008 at 04:29 PM.
Alle no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old April 16th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Alle

There are of course many more. So please share them .

Alle no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Zero00
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Ostrozac Castle on river Una in Bosnia and Herzegovina, built in gothic style during the Hungarian-Croat Kingdom, conquered by Bosnians/Ottomans in late 16th century.

Zero00 no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Zero00
BANNED

Pocitelj fortress and town:

Zero00 no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #5
Zero00
BANNED

Travnik fortress:

Zero00 no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #6
Ballota
Powered by Jet-A1

Likes (Received): 8106

Tvrđava Gripe, u centru Splita:

Tvrđava Klis, iznad Splita:

__|__
\_______O(-)O_______/
" " "

mate.balota@gmail.com
Ballota no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #7
Delmat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Dioklecijanova palača, Split

Delmat no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #8
Ballota
Powered by Jet-A1

Likes (Received): 8106

A jesi naša pravu sliku...gospe...

__|__
\_______O(-)O_______/
" " "

mate.balota@gmail.com
Ballota no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #9
Delmat
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballota View Post
A jesi naša pravu sliku...gospe...
Neman na kompu, a neda mi se tražit
Delmat no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #10
Alle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmat View Post
Dioklecijanova palača, Split
What an attraction. Built around the year 300 for those viewing this that dont know.

We have a couple of neolithic or older settlements in Bosnia, some of which turned into hellenistic settlements later. And som roman camps from later yet. But nothing this spectacular architechturally from that period. From what i know.

Here ate two photos of it today inside Split.

Alle no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #11
Delmat
BANNED

I believe Ballota has better pictures, so we'll have to wait for him to post 'em

Comeon m8
Delmat no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #12
Ballota