daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > The Economy, Industry and Development Issues

The Economy, Industry and Development Issues Current news and events with regards to the economy, industry and urban development issues

Old June 26th, 2005, 04:16 AM   #1
sandrin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Waste Management and Drainage/Sewerage Systems

I'm not sure if we have the same thread. I think this topic is very important, hence I created it.

Last edited by sandrin; June 26th, 2005 at 12:26 PM.
sandrin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 26th, 2005, 06:15 AM   #2
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 5

I'm not sure we have a water and sewerage system

Seriously, nah, it's a new issue this.
Old June 26th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #3
dancethingy

Likes (Received): 4

MMDA is in charge of this right? Bayani is head of MMDA and he is a great guy in terms of getting things done. I mean look at Commonwealth, Quezon ave., etc... the streets look clean and traffic is better than before. I heard that Bayani like many are corrupt, but if he's getting things done for the better that's fine with me. I also think that MMDA is good for Metro Manila because they're good for employment.
dancethingy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #4
renell
Here Since 2002

all i know that is bayani is moving his ass on certain issues that needs to be addressed. I don't know if that includes fixing our sewerage system, but it will be tested this typhoon season wouldn't it?
Old June 26th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #5
sandrin
BANNED

MWSS and the MMDA headed by Bayani Fernando are working on it.
In order for it to work, the constituents should do their part also. Start with proper garbage disposal management and stricter laws on dumping and littering.
Old June 26th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #6
blueguy
Bislong

Likes (Received): 481

Check out Fort Bonifacio Global City, it has one of the best water and sewerage systems in the country. All wastes coming from those high rise buildings inside the Fort are processed and cleaned before it is released or used to water plants and cool chillers for airconditioning. The charges of course are high because in water charge you have to pay also for water that comes out of your house.

There are no individual septic vaults in every buildings...the sewer lines are centralized, so are the gas lines...
blueguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #7
blueguy
Bislong

The wastes coming from your bathrooms, after using your holy throne or after taking a bath...goes out to a centralized pipe which are being pumped into a Sewerage Treatment Plant (STP)...inside the STP, fuel, oil ang grease (fog) are screened and seperated, all the remaining liquid pass throug a series of ponds with filters, then to a pond with bacteria that treats the water to be cleaned, then a settling pond which separates the solids from the liquid...after a series of passes through filters the water that goes out into the plant can be as good as drinking water...
Old June 26th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #8
dancethingy

Likes (Received): 4

Van1975, that's a very very modern system. Is that the system being used only at Fort Bonifacio or all of Metro Manila? Here at Quezon City they have signs all over UP Diliman that "We are being served by the most modern water treatment facility blah blah blah," I hope that's the facility you are talking about. My dad and I actually want to go see the process, but we're not sure if they would let us in "for a look."

I think Bayani is focusing on sewage, traffic, and then street cleanliness right now. I think a modern recycling collection system needs to be enforced here. Like the blue bag program we have in Chicago, blue bags are used for recyclables. Did you guys know that some cities in Japan separate their garbage into as much as 44 categories. Crazy, but how diligent and dedicted of them huh?

If any of you here live in a subdivision within the Philippines, maybe you can suggest to your neighborhood committees a collection program for recyclables. I mean its not that hard to wash recyclables and then set them aside. Then after setting them aside someone from your subdivision can employ someone from a less fortunate neighborhood (like a squatter) to collect the recyclables and then they can cash out on it. I know that trash collection here requires garbagemen to separate waste and recyclables, but won't separating them at home make their lives easier?
dancethingy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:43 AM   #9
bustero

Likes (Received): 3

hehe 90% of sewage in manila is untreated or at best uses a septic tank system. this makes for tasty fish in Manila Bay
bustero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #10
bustero

by the way you might as well add garbage to this thread.
Old June 27th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #11
Edmundtanso

Likes (Received): 2

well, i would hope that the gov't would start implementing how BGC treat their waste all over the metro manila and other big cities in the country
Old June 27th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #12
612bv3

Likes (Received): 37

Are there any plans to update Philippines sewer system? I think it's a big problem that there's always flooding in Metro Manila during heavy rain season. It could lead to out breaks of diseases and health problems like cholera.
Old June 27th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #13
bustero

Well some of it we can fix, some can not.

Camanava area is really low so even when with good drainage when it's a very high tide with strong rains it will really flood.

You'll also need to address garbage as even when there is good drainage there are tons of plastic etc literally blocking these waterways.
Old June 27th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #14
renell
Here Since 2002

How about using the garbage to block the high tides from coming in?

umm..yeah i guess garbage disposal is also relevant to the issue. I just took out the garbage couple of hours ago. the red bin and the yellow bin. I'm guessing some of the subdivisions and villages have iniated something similar. but besides that, certainly some of the drainages in Metro Manila are in dire need of repair?
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:24 AM   #15
612bv3

Likes (Received): 37

Whats with the red bin and the yellow bin? Is one for recycling?
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #16
sandrin
BANNED

WUA completes P458-M water projects

SOME 200,000 residents in the countryside will finally have a safe and reliable water service with the completion by the Local Water Utilities Administration of water-system improvement and expansion projects in 21 provincial areas in the first five months of the year.

Lorenzo H. Jamora, LWUA administrator, said the completed projects are worth P458.8 million. Additional 58 water-supply projects worth P1.34 billion are being constructed with the financial and technical assistance of the LWUA, he added.

Based on a report by Emmanuel Malicdem, LWUA deputy administrator for engineering, among the 21 completed projects are those in Silay City, Sagay and Himamaylan, all in Negros Occidental, inaugurated by President Arroyo in April. Other projects were completed in Claveria, Misamis Oriental; Catblogan, Samar; Pagsanjan, Laguna; and Iriga City, Camarines Sur.

The rest are in Sarrat, Ilocos Norte; Lal-lo, Cagayan; San Rafael, Bulacan; Porac, Pampanga; Tanuan and Pasacao, Batangas; San Jose, Mindoro Oriental; San Pedro, Laguna; Metro Naga and Pasacao, Camarines Sur; General MacArthur, Leyte; Sindangan, Zamboanga del Norte; and the Island Garden City of Samal and Digos City, Davao del Norte.

According to Malicdem, more water-improvement projects are being constructed in Northern and Central Luzon and the Southern Tagalog Region. These projects are funded by loans from the Asian Development Bank and Germany’s Kreditanstahlt fur Weiderrafbau.

Eleven projects in the Bicol Region are exclusively funded by ADB and 22 projects in the Visayas and Mindanao are funded by the ADB and KFW with local funding support from the Local Water Utilities Administration.

Biggest among the projects are those in Metro Iloilo, Ozamis City, Zamboanga City, Cavite, Rizal and Sorsogon City. Each costs at least P50 million.

The projects involve the development of additional water sources such as deep and shallow wells, small dams, construction of pumping stations or spring-intake boxes and water-storage tanks, laying of distribution pipelines and installation of water-treatment facilities.

The water-improvement program is the LWUA’s contribution to the Arroyo administration’s goal of providing safe water to all barangays by 2010.
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:07 AM   #17
sandrin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancethingy
Van1975, that's a very very modern system. Is that the system being used only at Fort Bonifacio or all of Metro Manila? Here at Quezon City they have signs all over UP Diliman that "We are being served by the most modern water treatment facility blah blah blah," I hope that's the facility you are talking about. My dad and I actually want to go see the process, but we're not sure if they would let us in "for a look."
I agree Diliman has a good water treatment facility. Being situated near the MWSS/Nawasa treatment plant, and having an efficient sewerage systems and proper waste disposal contribute to the clean water output. My cousin who's used to drinking filtered bottled water likes the taste of the tap water at home. he kept on saying "sarap ng tubig nyo ah". Though now we practice water filtration just to be sure.....Do you know that UP Diliman even had it's own power distribution system up until the early 90's when the the power transmission broke and there was no budget to replace it. The distributon was then transfered to Meralco that jack up the prices by more than 200% in 8 years.
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #18
renell
Here Since 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by 612bv3
Whats with the red bin and the yellow bin? Is one for recycling?
recycling= yellow
rubbish, just trash= red

but i know in belgium recycling was the blue bag yeah.

Quote:
The water-improvement program is the LWUA’s contribution to the Arroyo administration’s goal of providing safe water to all barangays by 2010.
Very ambitious. Not that bad at all. Is this all Philippine barangays?
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #19
blueguy
Bislong

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrin
I agree Diliman has a good water treatment facility. Being situated near the MWSS/Nawasa treatment plant, and having an efficient sewerage systems and proper waste disposal contribute to the clean water output. My cousin who's used to drinking filtered bottled water likes the taste of the tap water at home. he kept on saying "sarap ng tubig nyo ah". Though now we practice water filtration just to be sure.....Do you know that UP Diliman even had it's own power distribution system up until the early 90's when the the power transmission broke and there was no budget to replace it. The distributon was then transfered to Meralco that jack up the prices by more than 200% in 8 years.

I really don't know if there is really a system in Diliman, because if there is... your water bill would be higher than any areas in the Metro... I really don't know if you get what I mean...But sewerage refers to all wastes generated from the use of water. All SM Malls have sewerage treatment plants...I actually worked for a British contractor at the Fort Bonifacio Global City...It is handled then by Bonifacio Vivendi Water Corporation a French-local JV...
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #20
blueguy
Bislong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancethingy

I think Bayani is focusing on sewage, traffic, and then street cleanliness right now. I think a modern recycling collection system needs to be enforced here. Like the blue bag program we have in Chicago, blue bags are used for recyclables. Did you guys know that some cities in Japan separate their garbage into as much as 44 categories. Crazy, but how diligent and dedicted of them huh?

If any of you here live in a subdivision within the Philippines, maybe you can suggest to your neighborhood committees a collection program for recyclables. I mean its not that hard to wash recyclables and then set them aside. Then after setting them aside someone from your subdivision can employ someone from a less fortunate neighborhood (like a squatter) to collect the recyclables and then they can cash out on it. I know that trash collection here requires garbagemen to separate waste and recyclables, but won't separating them at home make their lives easier?

FYI Iloilo City right now is implementing in all its 200 barangays the "No segregation, no collection" Policy. This is in connection with RA 9003 or the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000. It actually prohibits LGU's to use an open pit dumpsite by 2006. By that time, it is expected that all LGU's must convert their open pit dumpsite into a Sanitary Landfill.

In every barangays here in Iloilo City, there are these MRF's (Materials Recovery Facilties) which are run by respective barangays. Waste segregation is already done in this site which seperates plastics, papers, organic wastes/market wastes and others. Those that cannot be sold (income goes directly to barangay funds) to local junk shops are being brought to the dumpsite...then all market wastes, i.e. fruit and vegetable peelings, etc. are shredded and mixed with soil making it an organic fertilizer which is very good in growing organic vegetables. Our mayor is actually very supportive in this program, that once, our city is the dirtiest but right now we are the cleanest in the region and have been a finalist in the national competition. So I guess, people should be aware of these endeavours...