daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > City Talk

City Talk Local talk, activities, websites, etc...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2008, 02:48 AM   #1
Delirium
Sexy Astronaut

Likes (Received): 906

Favourite/least favourite kinds of British housing stock?

I think we can guess what the least favourite kind of housing will be for most forumers... (but you never know...)

So what are your favourites and not so favourites? Converted warehouses? red brick back to backs? prefabs in Penzance or a nice mock tudor?

---------------------------

Without being too region or city specific (you can if you want) then im a real big fan of Parapet terraces/19th century terraces that follow these forms (i.e look like the following) especially ones 3 storeys or more, bay windows are optional but are welcomed none-the-less.

But even the 2 storey ones are decent

Terraces with the walk up entrances such as these are pretty good too. i think i might actually prefer these to the above...

-----------------------------------------------------
(the London ones are courtesy of NothingBetterToDo)

Last edited by Delirium; May 12th, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Delirium no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 1st, 2008, 03:03 AM   #2
MacAndrews

Likes (Received): 0

A few beautiful Bristolian streets I remember from my uni days there. They are ever so nice and Bristol has an ample supply of such wonderful housing.

The beauty of Glasgow's west end is also similarly stunning.

For me personally though, I don't think I'd want to live in such close quarters.

I currently live in a more modern house (which perhaps lacks character). The modern house on a small street or cul de sac, driveway, garden not overlooked and plenty of your own space is what I personally like. Obviously, I'd much prefer a large mansion with my own pool and gym - but doubt I'll ever be able to afford that unless I decide to move to Bolivia!

I'm not too keen on mock effects either, far too mocked for my liking!
MacAndrews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:09 AM   #3
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1222

I love tower blocks, but only for artistic value - I wouldn't want to live in most of them unless they're nice. I'd love to live in a modern, yet traditional house on the edge of a market town.

I hate red brick terraces of the northern kind. However, further north west in Cumbria they make their houses out of slate which is beautiful.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:14 AM   #4
crusty_bint
control yourself

Likes (Received): 89

For the sheer diversity in form it has to be the humble, and not so humble, tenement

by monkeyiron
image hosted on flickr

by mr warwick hunt
image hosted on flickr

by kentigern
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

by bob the lomond
image hosted on flickr

by werewegian
image hosted on flickr

by hodge
image hosted on flickr

by zed69
image hosted on flickr

by crusty_bint
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

by emmar
image hosted on flickr

by stevecadman
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

by mark in glasgow southside
image hosted on flickr

by idk whatever
image hosted on flickr

My least favourite is the modern, suburban (sometimes not so suburban) sea of semis wimpy/barrat/cowboy style of development.
crusty_bint no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:17 AM   #5
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Favourite housing stock is the densest (west london?) - Least favourite - least dense.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:43 AM   #6
Delirium
Sexy Astronaut

oh replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield
love tower blocks, but only for artistic value - I wouldn't want to live in most of them unless they're nice.
speaking of which, the settings and views for these tower blocks are the nicest you'll probably ever come across in the UK. Although the first one isnt so apparent, it is!

This one reminds me of thunderbirds and jet age things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield
I hate red brick terraces of the northern kind. However, further north west in Cumbria they make their houses out of slate which is beautiful
But you love Coronation street?!

I have to say that the packly tight terraces of the North dont do much for me, they're abit too oppressive/human cabinet-y for me... however dont confuse that with me not liking every terrace up north (Newcastle in particular has a fine terrace stock ).

Last edited by Delirium; May 12th, 2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:30 AM   #7
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 72

You mean like this Butters? This was taken at the back of my house in Leeds. I agree with you to a certain extent but when everyone is out in their gardens enjoying the weather or playing football, cricket etc on the back lane you get to know everyone alot easier than when people are in their back gardens surrounded by fencing.
The only thing I really detest are the modern estates that are made to look like victorian or tudor houses cramped into a cul-de-sac. I really get lost in them as everything is characterless and looks the same. Barratt homes springs to mind.

Last edited by Stefan88; June 2nd, 2008 at 01:19 AM.
Stefan88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM   #8
Toadboy

Likes (Received): 968

I like housing stock that reflects the local style, materials and environment built to a scale and density that characterises it's location.

I hate off the shelf, red brick, mock this/mock that, cul de sac going nowhere city and town killing estates.
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:19 PM   #9
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 641

Yeah I don't really like red brick terraces. When regenerated though, they can add to a vibrant community. Such as the growing community in Holbeck Urban Village or the Urban Splash style regenerations. The bigger red brick terraces are alright, like the ones in Chapeltown.

I really don't like housing estates that try to be old looking- Barratt style. Not because I get lost in them or anything like that; I don't really. Just because of the architecture of them.

My town is largely Victorian, although the edge of town changes into the usual 1930s and housing estate stuff. Nothing really 1960s though.
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM   #10
1LONDONER

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helium View Post

-----------------------------------------------------
(the London ones are courtesy of NothingBetterToDo)
I love this type of housing stock in inner London.

Loads of it in North and east London aswell as SE/SW.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1

West London has the most elaborate of this type of housing though mainly Kensington+C.
1LONDONER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:05 PM   #11
1LONDONER

Likes (Received): 12

This would be my least favourite.
1LONDONER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM   #12
Brummyboy92
Brummy and proud

Likes (Received): 122

Same
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:45 PM   #13
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1222

I like those Barratt-style houses. They're bright, warm and cosy in the winter, neutral colours, suburban... The main problem is they're packed in too tight.

Quote:
...the settings and views for these tower blocks are the nicest you'll probably ever come across in the UK. Although the first one isnt so apparent, it is!
I take it those are the Torquay blocks? Shame on you Helium for not saying where they are. Yes, they are in a great location perched atop the cliffs, although they look a bit weird with just a few of the flats still having their internal balconies!

Quote:
But you love Coronation street?!
Yes, but it's the characters I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan88 View Post
You mean like this Butters? This was taken at the back of my house in Leeds. I agree with you to a certain extent but when everyone is out in their gardens enjoying the weather or playing football, cricket etc on the back lane.
Well, being the sports-mad person I am, it sounds great.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 07:13 PM   #14
Delirium
Sexy Astronaut

Cornish fishermans cottages are incredibly cosy things,
Exploring around the back streets of places such as St Ives are great, and i loves me some cornish granite shame the prices (to buy, rent or even a holiday) are so over inflated, a few decades ago they'd be positively worthless!

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

Bob.Bee
LInE jEnSeN
Jon kraft
NeueDeutsche
steve parker/
Old June 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM   #15
Delirium
Sexy Astronaut

Quote:
I take it those are the Torquay blocks? Shame on you Helium for not saying where they are. Yes, they are in a great location perched atop the cliffs, although they look a bit weird with just a few of the flats still having their internal balconies!
probably just as well...

Quote:
Yes, but it's the characters I like.
That's even worse!
Old June 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM   #16
Toadboy

Likes (Received): 968

Wunderbar Helium lid.

What those places demonstrate is the dynamic of the built environment, accessible housing and business fit for purpose, even now that the economy changed the density and easy access to the harbour, town and beaches still works.

Great place, I make sure I go there at least once a year.
Old June 1st, 2008, 09:10 PM   #17
Delirium
Sexy Astronaut

i've been to that restaurant (the mermaid)

hmm, it's doubful anything like that there would be built anytime soon, because of all the rules and regulations what not far too enclosed and haphazard, on a piece of paper it must look like a slum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadman
What those places demonstrate is the dynamic of the built environment, accessible housing and business fit for purpose, even now that the economy changed the density and easy access to the harbour, town and beaches still works.
Shame half of them are second homes, empty for half the year

I do wonder what percentage of these houses are actually lived in though? it must be relatively low.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:40 PM   #18
Starslight

Likes (Received): 0

I think Glasgow has both my favourite and least favourite housing stock in the UK. As shown above the tenements are absolutely stunning, and there are so many of them, often several stories high, giving a very urban feel to the area.

Then you have what I presume is the sixties stuff (though I could be wrong about that) but not the towerblocks, its the pebbledash housing. It's horrible, vile, really, really horrible. I just can't stand it. The comparison between Glasgow older hosuing makes it seem even worse.
Starslight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:10 PM   #19
Delirium
Sexy Astronaut

yeah the scotland does seem to be peddledash central, there's a somewhat lack of it in the north and Midlands but its frequency seems to emerge when you get to the south.

I also hate it when houses have essentially been mutilated such as in these:

Last edited by Delirium; May 12th, 2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:28 PM   #20
crusty_bint
control yourself

Likes (Received): 89

Ugh, yeah I know exactly what you mean. The material with the pebbles in it (the little tiny gravely ones you mean?) is foam slag, a by-product of steel production and was used in the inter-war and immediate post-war era though gave way with the industry that produced it did. But yes, absolutely vile stuff.
crusty_bint no está en línea   Reply With Quote