daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Korean Forum 한국 공개토론

Old June 25th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #1
davieb55

Likes (Received): 2

Signs and Building Codes

A few years ago I read that some government agencies were considering regulating the number of signs on buildings. Any news on this? I see so many half decent newish buildings in Busan that are ruined by having every surface covered in signs, including windows covered in "sticker signs". Also, what about the buildings where interior walls have been built covering windows. It's so ugly to look at a building and see the plywood back of an interior wall through the window....often with electric cords hanging. These are new buildings too. Surely this is a fire hazard and certainly it's unattractive. Why would the owner of the building allow this? Guess that it doesn't matter as long as the tenant pays their rent. My rant is finished.

Sponsored Links

Old June 25th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #2
princeofseoul
digging

Likes (Received): 132

I like the ads and the neons -- the way they are arranged on the buildings combined with their high density makes the korean streets special and 'cool'-looking especially at night.

But I'm not sure why this is of concern to you.. I'm guessing you're from Canada or the U.S.? I recall seeing lots of ads on buildings in Toronto as well.. There's less than in korean cities certainly, but I attribute this to the much lower population and commerce density.

About the plywood boards covering windows, I can't recall ever seeing this in Korea lol.. I think you've got Busan and NYC mixed up .

Last edited by princeofseoul; June 25th, 2008 at 02:53 AM.
princeofseoul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:21 AM   #3
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 233

All I know is that I heard they are re-designing the neon signs in the buildings to make it more attractive and not "messy-looking". Some roads in Seoul already have a "beautiful signs road". The signs look very attractive
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #4
davieb55

I've lived in Korea for 10 years. How can you NOT see it. Something you don't see as much of in Seoul. I have no problems with signs on buildings...and some of the buildings that I find ugly during the day, are kind of striking at night...but sometimes it's over-the-top and the signs are cheap, glued on stickers. For example, the "Giants Mart" convenience store across from Sajik Stadium (next to McDonalds)...has at least 7 backlit signs plus the entire window is covered with posters and "sticker signs".....Kimbap restaurants are the worst offenders...always horrible yellow, red or orange signs with the windows covered with the entire menu. We ALL know what kind of food you can get at a Kimbap Nara. It's unnecessary information. I guess in Toronto, HASTY MART would be an example of that kind of tacky sign. But they are not as common......Sorry. I don't mean to sound so negative, but in recent years a number of decent buildings have gone up only to be 'ruined' by unnattractive signs.
Are you a university student?
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #5
princeofseoul
digging

^ Why not start a thread on the toronto forum about the cheap signs everywhere in the city lol.. I was afraid to walk in some toronto streets since the signs seemed like they were about to fall on my head. These problems exist elsewhere, this is not special about korea.

No need to worry, the koreans realize some signs are in bad shape, and they're gonna improve the cities in consequence -- in the same way as they have been improving them in the past.

Cheer up, davie b. Cheer up!

Last edited by princeofseoul; June 25th, 2008 at 04:50 AM.
princeofseoul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #6
davieb55

There ARE tons of threads where people comment about the cheapness of signs and buildings in Canada. We love to criticize ourselves.
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #7
davieb55

Changing topics...who has been to the new (last year) Jagalchi Fish Market building? It looks great from the outside. I haven't been inside yet. What's it like? Any pictures?
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #8
princeofseoul
digging

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieb55 View Post
There ARE tons of threads where people comment about the cheapness of signs and buildings in Canada. We love to criticize ourselves.
Then, go there and criticize yourself if this makes you happy.
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #9
davieb55

You sound like a lovely person! I think it's fair to criticize a place you've lived in for ten years. A place I love. I'm sorry if you misunderstood me. I very much enjoy Korea and my life here. I was simply making a comment on a minor thing that I don't like. Feel free to go to the Canada forums and make comments. No one will tell you to "go back to your own country" as you pretty much did to me.
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #10
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Likes (Received): 4271

Quote:
It's so ugly to look at a building and see the plywood back of an interior wall through the window....
I guess he means this kinda builing facade by the words as follows :

on the left building facade of curtain walls, the interior walls show through the windows.. he means this, right?

oh, whether it's right or not,, for me, that is horrible work, actually,
I don't know why this kinda work prevailed these days in korea, that's not my favorite,.. that makes such buildings looks not completed and evenmore looks the architecture stupid... sorry,, but for me, this kinda elements really horrible..
Mussoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #11
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Quote:
You sound like a lovely person! I think it's fair to criticize a place you've lived in for ten years. A place I love. I'm sorry if you misunderstood me. I very much enjoy Korea and my life here. I was simply making a comment on a minor thing that I don't like. Feel free to go to the Canada forums and make comments. No one will tell you to "go back to your own country" as you pretty much did to me.
man,, Princeofseoul now stay in Canada too,
and He loves korea, so now defending a place that he's lived in quite a long time, while you criticize for little thing,... I guess you both are good for korea,.
hope get peace,...
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #12
davieb55

No. That's not exactly what I mean. I'm referring to buildings where a tenant will move in after the building is complete, and build a wall covering the window. From the inside, it may look fine, but from the outside when you look in the window you see a plywood wall, wires and sometimes insulation. Sometimes the window will be covered with some sort of film of "sticker sign" to hide this, but sometimes you see a covered over widow. I just wonder what would happen if there was a fire. Seems like a hazard to me. The Centum Hotel building that you showed as an example, looks fine to me. There are some nice buildings going up in that area. I'm particularly excited about the Daniel Lebinskind apartments and the Zenith Apartments.
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #13
davieb55

I don't discriminate in my criticism! Haha! Sometimes I go home to Canada on vacation and roll my eyes and want back on the plane the next day.
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #14
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

I understand now what u mean..
yeah,, actually, the land/building owners seem to put such change at tenants' disposition as far as they don't hurt building itself.
I mean owners just care about rent fee, and therefore, not bothered from such design elements and even safety problem...
these days, sign arrangements by regulation also happens among such tenants rather than owners.. funny thing..
I guess it's a kinda custom that burden is charged into beneficiary..

Last edited by Mussoda; June 25th, 2008 at 06:14 AM.