daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #1
Bigmac1212
Always looking up!

Likes (Received): 1

OKLAHOMA CITY - Chesapeake Energy Arena (18,203)

The 2008-09 season will be the last year for the Seattle Supersonics. For the 2009-10 season, the team will move to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Their new home: The Ford Center.

Sadly, I do not live near Oklahoma City, so I don't have any photos of the arena. If anybody does have photos, you may post on this thread.

Last edited by www.sercan.de; July 28th, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Bigmac1212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 16th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #2
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 5

Actually, OKC will play the season in Oklahoma, not Seattle.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #3
Sea Toby

Likes (Received): 0

Ford Center is next to the convention center, a slightly older, smaller arena, hotels, and restaurants, not to mention the Amtrak station.

Pictures of the arena where the Oklahoma City Express/former Seattle Sonics will play:

Pictures of the two hotels north of the Ford Center, downtown Oklahoma City.

The south side of downtown's skyscraper district is where the convention center, Ford Center, and Cox Arena are located, by two new hotels, among others. Its the nicest area of downtown. Oklahoma City spent well upgrading its convention center, and private industry has spent as well, proving arenas and baseball stadiums are the best things that can turn a downtown from dying to a wonderful entertainment district.

With such success in Oklahoma City, Tulsa is building the BOK Center and its minor league baseball parks downtown as well, hoping to have the same success. Its much like the convention centers and arenas of Dallas and Fort Worth, all of these venues are successful.

Last edited by Sea Toby; August 16th, 2008 at 02:56 AM.
Sea Toby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #4
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 1026

ford center looks really nice!!!
Old August 16th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #5
Sea Toby

Yes, Ford Center is, so with the BOK in Tulsa. Both cities could have build a 10k or less arena, you know a very nice minor league facility, but they didn't. They went first class and built a major league facility. Wichita's Arvest Bank Arena is going to be very nice too, just a tad smaller at 15k. These three minor league cities have been great rivals in the Texas League and Central Hockey League for decades. One has to keep up with the Jones, although Wichita passed recently on a new minor league baseball park.

Compare this to Austin's, well Cedar Park's Events Center arena, a minor league facility at best.

Tulsa's BOK Center:

Wichita's Invest Bank Arena:

Last edited by Sea Toby; August 16th, 2008 at 03:41 AM.
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #6
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 71

Oklahoma City, OK, USA.

Population: (city) 547,274, (metro) 1.3 million

Ford Center: 19,599, opened in 2002 at a cost of $89 million. The Ford Center is experiencing upgrades all throughout the arena. I'll post those later on throughout the thread.

Hockey game:

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun

Last edited by TU 'cane; August 16th, 2008 at 04:42 AM.
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #7
Big Texan
BANNED

Ford Center has done a good job hosting the BIG12 basketball tournament, and I think it will do a great job with the NBA Team.

To add to that, I dont like the bad press some of the nba writers have given this move. Seattle was a great city, but many are saying that this team will have bad home showings when this city was what made them want to move after watching the Hornets play here 2 years ago. It is a great move.

Also the OKC team will play a few games in Tulsa at that new nice arena.

Last edited by Big Texan; August 16th, 2008 at 07:42 AM.
Big Texan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #8
coexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texan View Post
Ford Center has done a good job hosting the BIG12 basketball tournament, and I think it will do a great job with the NBA Team.

To add to that, I dont like the bad press some of the nba writers have given this move. Seattle was a great city, but many are saying that this team will have bad home showings when this city was what made them want to move after watching the Hornets play here 2 years ago. It is a great move.

Also the OKC team will play a few games in Tulsa at that new nice arena.
I think a lot of the bad press is coming from the fact that Seattle did not deserve to lose that team, and that Seattle isn't a bad market for basketball. I absolutely hate when a team moves from a city only for that city to get a team a few years later because they deserve a team - they shouldn't have been allowed to move in the first place. I certainly hope Seattle gets a new incarnation of the SuperSonics back - they deserve it.

If you're going to move a franchise, take it from a market that doesn't deserve a team. I think that's why this move is getting bad press.
coexist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #9
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by coexist View Post
I think a lot of the bad press is coming from the fact that Seattle did not deserve to lose that team, and that Seattle isn't a bad market for basketball. I absolutely hate when a team moves from a city only for that city to get a team a few years later because they deserve a team - they shouldn't have been allowed to move in the first place. I certainly hope Seattle gets a new incarnation of the SuperSonics back - they deserve it.

If you're going to move a franchise, take it from a market that doesn't deserve a team. I think that's why this move is getting bad press.
i could not agree with you more
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Sea Toby

Face the facts, owners own teams, not cities. If an owner is not happy with the arena his team is playing in, with the approval of the league, he can move the team. Unfortunately, this is what happened in Seattle. And its not a last minute move, Seattle could have done something about the move. Apparently, Seattle didn't want to keep the team. Their loss is Oklahoma City's gain.

Last edited by Sea Toby; August 16th, 2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old August 16th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #11
Big Texan
BANNED

I see why The Team Formerly known as the Super Sonics moved, they were playing in a 70's piece of crap stadium and the city would not go halfsy on a new one (the design of which was very nice)

When all the other teams in the league have moved into new digs, and your still playing in a tent, then it is kind of an embarrassment to your team and city. Especially after they have built the Sea Hawks and Mariners (who suck) new stadiums.

I think that when the NBA puts a team back in Seattle (along with Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, San Diego and Montreal, just a few of my ideas, add 1 more, have to add 5 more to equalize everything) they will need to build a new stadium for the new Sonics.
Big Texan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #12
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 71

Owners own the teams, not the cities... Owners can do what they want, pro sports franchises are businesses. But the fact that Seattle supported the Sonics for 41 seasons, won their title in Seattle, had quote "the best fans" and to move them to a market so much smaller than a city like Seattle's is just ridiculous in my opinion. I personally think the Ford Center and anyone who isn't biased knows that the Ford Center blows Keyarena out of the water having over 2,000+ more seats, more suites, more square footage and is aesthetically somewhat more up to date. Keyarena is a unique arena though and I like it. But the NBA is a business and I think OKC will support the new team just fine for the first 4 seasons or so and then the real test begins, long term support. So we'll see.

Btw in that Hockey game pic, the arena is much larger, they have curtains up to make it have that sell out feel and pack more people closer to the ice.

And Stern is an idiot and Bennett is his lover, it's obvious.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun

Last edited by TU 'cane; August 17th, 2008 at 02:48 AM.
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #13
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Toby View Post
Face the facts, owners own teams, not cities. If an owner is not happy with the arena his team is playing in, with the approval of the league, he can move the team. Unfortunately, this is what happened in Seattle. And its not a last minute move, Seattle could have done something about the move. Apparently, Seattle didn't want to keep the team. Their loss is Oklahoma City's gain.
If you recall, Seattle did file a lawsuit against the Owners to keep the team. Sure the owners have the right to move the team, but the NBA and David Stern (who IMO is an awful commissioner) screwed the city by allowing the move.
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #14
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Quote:
Prime example why College Sports>>>>Professional leagues.
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:51 AM   #15
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
If you recall, Seattle did file a lawsuit against the Owners to keep the team. Sure the owners have the right to move the team, but the NBA and David Stern (who IMO is an awful commissioner) screwed the city by allowing the move.
If I'm Seattle, I'd tell them to go to hell until Stern is gone. You screwed us and we don't want a team in your horrible ran league.
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #16
salaverryo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

I think it is a disgrace that the SuperSonics move to Oklahoma. What are the gonna be called now, the SuperShitkickers?
salaverryo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #17
tritown

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
They did do something about moving the team. They sued. That is what I would call having "done something".
tritown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #18
tritown

Likes (Received): 4

By the way, almost 20,000 seems to mean a large stadium for a city that size. It has almost exactly the same seating capacity as Madison Square Garden.
tritown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #19
Sea Toby

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaverryo View Post
I think it is a disgrace that the SuperSonics move to Oklahoma. What are the gonna be called now, the SuperShitkickers?
Thunder is leading in a television channel poll. No confirmation as to the name yet. I like horses better, therefore I voted for other, Stallions.

Last edited by Sea Toby; August 19th, 2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #20
Sea Toby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritown View Post
They did do something about moving the team. They sued. That is what I would call having "done something".
The team paid off the lease. Suit dropped. Bye, bye.

Tags
oklahoma city