daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Old December 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM   #1
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 6

Obama Inauguration - Jan,20 2009

I wanted to start a thread to help people spread info about the Inauguration.

Since this is the first time I am going, I am eager to hear any tips or suggestions anyone has. Will the metro run the day of? What about the day before? Can food and drinks be brought onto the Mall?

Here's the only info I've found so far, so please share any links you find!
http://www.obamainauguration2009.com/
pfd103 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 1st, 2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Htay9500

Likes (Received): 0

Do not stay in DC as there will be tons and tons of hotels booked. I prefer to find a hotel where a metro is closeby and in the metro area, such as here in Bethesda, Silver Spring, and places farther in Montgomery County and maybe in NOVA. BOOK NOW.

Please take the metro. It is hard and expensive to find a spot on inauguration day and traffic is among the 2nd worst in the country. You will easily find your way around DC IF YOU TAKE METRO.

Info on metro for inauguration day: http://www.wmata.com/inauguration/
Read:
Quote:
The U.S. Secret Service has deemed the Inauguration as a special national security event and due to security measures, the Archives-Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter Metrorail station on Metro’s Green and Yellow Lines, will be closed all day on Inauguration Day, Tuesday, January 20. In addition one of two entrances to the Smithsonian Metrorail station on the Blue and Orange Lines will also be closed. The Smithsonian station entrance on the National Mall will be closed. The Independence Ave SW entrance will remain open.
Access to the Mall via metro: Take the blue/orange line in the direction of New Carrolton or Largo town center and get off at Federal Triangle (then take 2 blocks south where the smithsonian and other museums are located. The capitol building is on your left, Washington Monument on your right and in between is open fields).

All attending the inauguration MUST face security checkpoints.

Go to pg. 2 (post #38 & 39) for the map of Obama's inauguration and info on the metro during that day.

Check pg 3 (post #56 & 58) for road and traffic closures!!

Better yet, check all pgs for updates!!

Last edited by Htay9500; January 14th, 2009 at 12:37 AM.
Htay9500 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Eerik

Likes (Received): 71

Hotels are mostly booked in the entire greater DC metro area. The radio reported some entrepreneurs are even opening their homes to paying visitors. While I find it almost hard to believe, the same report cited organizers are expecting anywhere from four-five million attendees for the inauguration. Unfathomable.

Metro is a must. Fortunately Inauguration day is a holiday for most workers in the area…
Eerik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:10 PM   #4
Htay9500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerik View Post
Hotels are mostly booked in the entire greater DC metro area. The radio reported some entrepreneurs are even opening their homes to paying visitors. While I find it almost hard to believe, the same report cited organizers are expecting anywhere from four-five million attendees for the inauguration. Unfathomable.

Metro is a must. Fortunately Inauguration day is a holiday for most workers in the area…
My friend's house and surrounding areas were being offered $10k for a wk by outsiders just to stay at their house.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:44 AM   #5
yamota
Chairman of the Bored

Likes (Received): 3

I work in downtown DC and I'm thinking of driving in and parking in my building then walking down to pennsylvania avenue, but what I'm thinking is that those vultures who run the parking garages will want to open the parking garage that day for visitors and of course they'll be charging more than the usual amount, probably 20-25 bucks for the day.
yamota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM   #6
Eerik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htay9500 View Post
My friend's house and surrounding areas were being offered $10k for a wk by outsiders just to stay at their house.
Wow. I live near a metro-stop in Arlington: just a hop, skip and jump from The Mall. Maybe I should list my place online; make some cash.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:30 AM   #7
Eerik

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I work in downtown DC and I'm thinking of driving in and parking in my building then walking down to pennsylvania avenue, but what I'm thinking is that those vultures who run the parking garages will want to open the parking garage that day for visitors and of course they'll be charging more than the usual amount, probably 20-25 bucks for the day.
Might want to check with your garage. But if you pay a monthly fee, you should have access, even if it is an official holiday.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:41 PM   #8
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 376

i just want to say good luck to anyone who's actually going to try and go to this. i hear the crowd is going to be huge!! i'm just going to watch it on TV and call it a day.....lol.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:32 PM   #9
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 6

My plan right now is to go down the day before and stay at a friend's place in Georgetown...then attempt to walk to the Mall the next morning. If the metro is open though, I'll try that (just not convinced it will be shorter).
pfd103 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'.baltimorean View Post
i just want to say good luck to anyone who's actually going to try and go to this. i hear the crowd is going to be huge!! i'm just going to watch it on TV and call it a day.....lol.
I heard Bob Schieffer on CBS News saying that the current record for people at an inauguration was 1.6 million (Lyndon B. Johnson). Bob said this one is expected to have atleast 3.6 million. All the hotels in D.C., Baltimore, BWI, and Annapolis are probably filled to capacity. I know I will be there. My youngest sister goes to Howard University and we're going to try to walk to it. But thanks for the luck, Rockin'. We are definitely going to need it.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:16 PM   #11
theevilcube

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd103 View Post
My plan right now is to go down the day before and stay at a friend's place in Georgetown...then attempt to walk to the Mall the next morning. If the metro is open though, I'll try that (just not convinced it will be shorter).
There isnt a metro in georgetown so I would prepare for a decent walk from Georgetown to the Mall or just use a taxi. Closet metro station is either Foggy Bottom or Rosslyn (in VA). Prob not worth it to try and fight the crowds or the cost to just go 1 or 2 stops.

Washington Post article from today says all hotels from Baltimore to Richmond are booked. I think I might be watching the inauguration from my building roof.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102950_pf.html
theevilcube no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:24 PM   #12
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by theevilcube View Post
I think I might be watching the inauguration from my building roof.
And so will some "cruel" people. That's the thing that concerns me, if you know what I mean.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:47 PM   #13
Htay9500

Quote:
Originally Posted by theevilcube View Post
There isnt a metro in georgetown so I would prepare for a decent walk from Georgetown to the Mall or just use a taxi. Closet metro station is either Foggy Bottom or Rosslyn (in VA). Prob not worth it to try and fight the crowds or the cost to just go 1 or 2 stops.

Washington Post article from today says all hotels from Baltimore to Richmond are booked. I think I might be watching the inauguration from my building roof.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102950_pf.html
Foggy bottom ftw if you live in MD. I'm wondering if I should head to G-town on the day of inauguration.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:57 PM   #14
Htay9500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerik View Post
Wow. I live near a metro-stop in Arlington: just a hop, skip and jump from The Mall. Maybe I should list my place online; make some cash.
My friends need a 1/2hrs walk to the metro. Maybe you could help those onlooking visitors!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:49 AM   #15
sovman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'.baltimorean View Post
haha yeah, me too. Even though I really really want to go, it'll probably be way too cold and there's going to be waaaaaaay too many people...
sovman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:14 AM   #16
micrip

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore View Post
I heard Bob Schieffer on CBS News saying that the current record for people at an inauguration was 1.6 million (Lyndon B. Johnson). Bob said this one is expected to have atleast 3.6 million. All the hotels in D.C., Baltimore, BWI, and Annapolis are probably filled to capacity. I know I will be there. My youngest sister goes to Howard University and we're going to try to walk to it. But thanks for the luck, Rockin'. We are definitely going to need it.
Article in the Sun a few days ago said that people are booking as far away as York Pa and Cecil County. I'm betting that when all is said and done, you will see people staying as far away as Ocean City...lots of rooms there...that is, if the places are open. Baltimore area is already booked solid.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM   #17
waj0527

Likes (Received): 80

I have a friend who's coming to Washington via Baltimore who says Amtrack service between the two cities is pretty much booked up. I have a buddy who does marketing for the Marriott in Harbor East. He says they have a number of Obama-related reservations. Anyone know if this is a trend?
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #18
adelphi_sky

Likes (Received): 42

I live less than 2 miles from a metro. 20 minutes from the capital. We already have in-laws coming for the inauguration. A few of my cousins have thrown their hat in the ring for a stay at my house. It's going to be crazy. I hate crowds and I know to even get close enough for a view through a zoom lens, you'll have to be there hours before the start. If it snows, hang it up. lol
adelphi_sky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #19
NorthaBmore

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore View Post
And so will some "cruel" people. That's the thing that concerns me, if you know what I mean.
Me too, It really is concerning
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #20
yamota
Chairman of the Bored

Likes (Received): 3

they say there might be close to a million and a half people there. A lot of people are gonna try squeezing into the newseum, it directly faces PA avenue and they've got a huge picture window up front