daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa / St Petersburg

Old October 1st, 2006, 08:34 PM   #1
John F

Likes (Received): 33

TAMPA | Element | 36 stories | 460 feet | 400 units | Completed

395 Units, 400+ Ft in height...

The website will be http://www.elementofyou.com/

Decided to start an official thread on the topic instead of using the Novare-Intown projects thread. I started that as an ambigious Novare thread devoted to the two lots directly north of Skypoint. But Novare has more projects in the queue for Tampa and so that thread is still something to hang on to...

Let this one be for general discussion (and photos) of Element...

Sponsored Links

Old October 1st, 2006, 11:13 PM   #2
I-275westcoastfl
Polak Potrafi

Likes (Received): 166

Wow its barely different than skypoint.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:24 PM   #3
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Wow its barely different than skypoint.
Ya but I like it more then Skypoint. the top is more architectally interesting especially with the lit up spire.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:50 PM   #4
I-275westcoastfl
Polak Potrafi

Likes (Received): 166

I agree with that too.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:08 AM   #5
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I agree with that too.

And its taller, about 60-75 feet.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 02:13 AM   #6
John F

the porches seem larger on the units near the front (Franklin side) of the building.

I lkike the glass coloring -- pale or no-color look.
Old October 15th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #7
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

From this rendering the parking garage looks better then Skypoint's too.
Element has its website up....

http://www.elementofyou.com/

It's just contact information, for now, however I wouldn't be surprised to see this project and the Channelside one to bocome more serious when Skypoint tops out. (Just 3 floors and spire to go)
Old October 15th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #8
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
From this rendering the parking garage looks better then Skypoint's too.
Element has its website up....

http://www.elementofyou.com/

It's just contact information, for now, however I wouldn't be surprised to see this project and the Channelside one to bocome more serious when Skypoint tops out. (Just 3 floors and spire to go)
It's amazing how fast Skypoint has gone vertical. Faster than anyone expected to be. I wonder if will expect the same again. Since they are focusing on 2 towers this time, will one get more attention than the other or will both go the same pace?

Element certainly looks better than Skypoint in some aspects, but please next time, no clone of Skypoint.
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:15 AM   #9
ChannelsideTitle

Likes (Received): 1

Element is an amazing building! I can't wait until Construction begins! DT Tampa is on the brink! I'm thinking about buying a unit here.

- Hugh Newell Jacobsen

Josh Cahill
ChannelsideTitle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #10
John F

On the Brink?

Come on, lets go back to reality for a second here. No units in Element have been sold, no unit prices have been revealed. The residential market is drying out and right now the real estate market is flooded with homes and units for sale. Downtown Tampa still boasts a huge vacancy rate with commercial floor space in the business towers and that means less of a worker market immediately downtown interested in being closer to work.

Tampa isn't "on the brink" -- it's at the tail end of a phase of real estate growth.

I like both the Skypoint tower and Element as much as anyone else (and I have enjoyed watching Skypoint under construction the last year) but I'm not going to use phrases like "on the brink" while knowing there are so many things WRONG with the city with regards to infrastructure to properly support residents downtown.... It'll be a good 10 years before we know if we were "on the brink" or "on the verge" at this moment in time. Someone could have said ten years ago Tampa was "on the brink" with Ice Palace and the Aquarium opening up to start the Channelside growth phase, but looking back now... To say we were "on the verge" then was jumping the gun. Things didn't start really growing until much later.
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #11
multifamilyinvestor

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
On the Brink?

Come on, lets go back to reality for a second here. No units in Element have been sold, no unit prices have been revealed. The residential market is drying out and right now the real estate market is flooded with homes and units for sale. Downtown Tampa still boasts a huge vacancy rate with commercial floor space in the business towers and that means less of a worker market immediately downtown interested in being closer to work.

Tampa isn't "on the brink" -- it's at the tail end of a phase of real estate growth.

I like both the Skypoint tower and Element as much as anyone else (and I have enjoyed watching Skypoint under construction the last year) but I'm not going to use phrases like "on the brink" while knowing there are so many things WRONG with the city with regards to infrastructure to properly support residents downtown.... It'll be a good 10 years before we know if we were "on the brink" or "on the verge" at this moment in time. Someone could have said ten years ago Tampa was "on the brink" with Ice Palace and the Aquarium opening up to start the Channelside growth phase, but looking back now... To say we were "on the verge" then was jumping the gun. Things didn't start really growing until much later.
John,

I understand your skepticism. Especially when it comes to projects like Tampa Towers by inexperienced developers, or buildings whose units start at $800,000 + . However I am not sure that Novare can be lumped in with those. These guys know what they are doing and are in a price point that is reasonable for average people. They have made a major investment in Tampa. Personally I think they are here to stay and I think this project will get done. Maybe it won't sell out as fast as skypoint, but my bet is that it will get done nonetheless.
multifamilyinvestor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #12
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

I think everyone pretty much agrees Element and atleast some of the other Novare and Wood projects will get built, but it takes way more then that to get a city like Tampa "on the brink" or over it. Granted there are other projects that haven't started yet that will probaly be built. But there are to many other factors then residential towers to make a city. (ie. parks, museums, retail etc.) I'm also thinking 10 to 15 years before Tampa has an average to slightly above average downtown all things considered.
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #13
multifamilyinvestor

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I think everyone pretty much agrees Element and atleast some of the other Novare and Wood projects will get built, but it takes way more then that to get a city like Tampa "on the brink" or over it. Granted there are other projects that haven't started yet that will probaly be built. But there are to many other factors then residential towers to make a city. (ie. parks, museums, retail etc.) I'm also thinking 10 to 15 years before Tampa has an average to slightly above average downtown all things considered.

I agree. Its too bad we have seen the museum deal fall through, the riverwalk fall through (at least state funding) and the extension of the trolley get nixed..

Retail will come with the residential projects though - I am not worried about that.
multifamilyinvestor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #14
John F

Quote:
Exactly. It's a MUCH broader scope of things that people have got to start remembering on this forum. We've had people talking like the 2009 Super Bowl is a deadline to get projects built because everyone in the world will see us and this and that... In reality, 2009 is a deadline to get our act together as a region and start building for the future. If we want ot be on the brink - we gotta start successfully implementing stuff now for the future. At this point, the city hasn't even begun to look at problems that could surface, or the county passes on discussing projects that could improve life for residents.

I'm not skeptical about Novare as so much the whole real estate market... I also know a handful of development projects do not a city make. Tampa and Tampa Bay as a region have a looooooooong way to go before we could be considered "on the brink".
Old October 17th, 2006, 06:12 AM   #15
cthomasd

I realize I'm relatively new here, but from everything I'm reading, you guys don't put much faith in our downtown. I came from Atlanta, and I can tell you that Novare almost single-handedly transformed the Midtown area up there in only a few years. I know it's good to be skeptical, but seriously, how 'bout a little old fashioned positive thinking. It's like a kid being told he'll never amount to anything, eventually he believes it and loses hope in himself. That's exactly what you guys are doing to the downtown idea. Let's just try not to knock it around so much and actually try to get excited about the possibilities. Yeah, it may take 10-15 years, but so what. At least it will happen. Just my 2 cents...
cthomasd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #16
orlandonative

With all due respect, Tampa and Atlanta are two completely different markets. You are also referencing a time period that has come and gone already. Even Novare, with all the faith and credit it receives on this board, is not putting up towers in Atlanta or anywhere for that matter at the same rate that it was. I am currently doing two of the projects in Midtown Atlanta that you are talking about and trust me, it hasn't been all lovely and as easy as it appears on the outside.

I further dont buy the whole, "if you talk about it long enough, it will become true" theory. Lets put this into perspective, we're sitting around a messaging board discussing and critiquing projects, not building them. Again, with all due respect, you could be as negative as you want on this forum all day, it has zero affect on the outcome of a project.
orlandonative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #17
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Hey look, it's Skypoint all dressed up for Halloween...

Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #18
John F

Snarky, sarcastic.... Appropriate. I like it!
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #19
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 6

lol.
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #20
ChannelsideTitle

Well...John F...you seem very pessimistic. Did you tune into Fox news tonight to here the mayor discuss on National Television the redevelopment efforts that are underway in downtown Tampa? according to this special downtown Tampa is "on the brink"!

- Hugh Newell Jacobsen

Josh Cahill
ChannelsideTitle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
downtown tampa, novare