daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #41
-:UberMann:-
Mexican dissident
 
-:UberMann:-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Meshico-Tenochtitlan
Posts: 274
Likes (Received): 435

To imagine the intelligence of our ancestors and their self-awareness, I think it would be like when we have a dream. Dreams are not generated by the most intelligent part of us and very illlogical things make sense then. We can't do complex tasks like reading or arithmetic, or do them in a very limited way. The most I've able to read were three words, and they didn't make much sense. The same way, our consciences may look primitive to a supposed superior animal intelligence.
In dreams you have a conscience but is less intelligent.
-:UberMann:- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #42
bitreaktor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 190
Likes (Received): 28

a lot of people would disagree with you as they see dream as super creative time that enables to solve many problem including Ray Kurtzweil

try maybe some enhancers

alpha brain https://www.onnit.com/alphabrain/?pid=32
or marijuana
bitreaktor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #43
UmarPK
Registered User
 
UmarPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Baltimore / Washington D.C
Posts: 635
Likes (Received): 533

When robots become really advance and are programmed to have independent thinking or pseudo-independent thinking they can collaborate and disobey their human masters. It'll be just like Blade Runner.
UmarPK está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #44
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ
 
BE0GRAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Београд
Posts: 1,821
Likes (Received): 443

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitreaktor View Post

if today watson can better diagnostician than the board of certified doctors because the are limited by human capabilities that is tremendous achievement.And hasn't been done by only computing power . Most of work is in programming . he is reading 150 000 000 pages a second while human only 2 or 3 words and actually can find you and answers based on context
which you and the computer didn't know .

SO today he can beat smartest, and most well educated people in some areas and still he is totally dumb with brain capabilities of a cockroach
Just try to imagine what he will be capable of when the level of dog or monkey will be achieved
Think what that might bring in the future

to "make" world class scientist you need at least 25-30 years, a lot of luck , a shit load of money .And still he is very limited he can work only 7-8 hours a day he get destructed and so .
If we gonna be able to make an artificial scientist on factory line which is able to work 24/7 365 days a year ,posses all the data know to humanity in his memory , exchange it immediately with thousands of other artificial scientist around the globe and will be able to simultaneously simulate experiments on the go , on quantum computers

the speed of human development would be unimaginable


at this is not total SF this could happen in 20-30 years time and it's not going to slow down ever
It's not that AI's are gonna replace humans. It is more likely that they would merge with us.

While we talk about AI's here's an interesting text about it: http://www.nickbostrom.com/ethics/ai.html#_ftn5
BE0GRAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #45
Iluminat
Regisgered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,113
Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE0GRAD View Post
It's not that AI's are gonna replace humans. It is more likely that they would merge with us.
Indeed most humans will probably become machines to some point and eventually it should be hard to distinguish between AI and uploaded consciousness of people that want a better life than they could have in a biological body.
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #46
bitreaktor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 190
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE0GRAD View Post
It's not that AI's are gonna replace humans. It is more likely that they would merge with us.
that's narrow and old fashion point of view as it is hard to imagine a robot as a separate individual
in everyday life of course we will become merged with them as today with cell phones
but i'm talking about
some areas where humans are useless
for example space industry , mining , battlefield , fire fighting and other "jobs"
which includes extreme conditions which humans didn't evolve to


Also other fields where processing huge amount of data is included
as we see today with watson like science and medicine , finance
where human mind is not particularly suitable for but we use it because that is all we have for now
When w
bitreaktor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #47
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ
 
BE0GRAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Београд
Posts: 1,821
Likes (Received): 443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluminat View Post
Indeed most humans will probably become machines to some point and eventually it should be hard to distinguish between AI and uploaded consciousness of people that want a better life than they could have in a biological body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitreaktor View Post
that's narrow and old fashion point of view as it is hard to imagine a robot as a separate individual
in everyday life of course we will become merged with them as today with cell phones
but i'm talking about
some areas where humans are useless
for example space industry , mining , battlefield , fire fighting and other "jobs"
which includes extreme conditions which humans didn't evolve to


Also other fields where processing huge amount of data is included
as we see today with watson like science and medicine , finance
where human mind is not particularly suitable for but we use it because that is all we have for now
When w
Well firefighting isn't a job that requires a superinteligence but I get your point. Still with vastly augmented mental and other capabilities, we (humans+AI=transhumans) could find ways to do things that we now consider impossible or cannot even imagine. Per example, we may find a solution which makes that our one superinteligent mind/conciousness can operate several bodies at the same time. Like, with one of your bodies you're learning some new skills at home, with another one you're enjoying in some beach in Greece, your third body is your female version - exploring how it is like to be the other sex, your fourth body is a dolphin in the sea - exploring maritime life and your fifth body is typing on SSC all day long. ...and all of that, you're doing it in the same time, and you're equally concious of all of those bodies in the same time. It's literally being in multiple places at once.

With such mind uploading, you can easily upload yourself in some robot body and go to Jupiter or jump in the flames and if one of your bodies gets killed, you continue to live via other bodies ... with the newly acquired experience of how it is like to die.
BE0GRAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #48
akonlki231
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3
Likes (Received): 0

If artificial intelligence is one day created, will it not pose a philosophical problem, because humans themselves are just biological intelligent creatures. If we make robots work for us, and use them as slaves, won't we be undermining their rights? Slavery is a wrong thing when applied to humans, but what about when it applies to robots?
akonlki231 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #49
wjfox
Wanna cook?
 
wjfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: L O N D O N
Posts: 37,212
Likes (Received): 4300

wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #50
wjfox
Wanna cook?
 
wjfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: L O N D O N
Posts: 37,212
Likes (Received): 4300

Is this interactive avatar the face of the future?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21827631



wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #51
embassyofaudrey
Registered User
 
embassyofaudrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: in u'r heart
Posts: 5,405
Likes (Received): 1202

i tot it was a movie..
__________________
Only in Your Dream..
embassyofaudrey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #52
wjfox
Wanna cook?
 
wjfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: L O N D O N
Posts: 37,212
Likes (Received): 4300

MACH system from MIT can coach those with social anxiety

By Terrence O'Brien posted Jun 15th, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Plenty of people out there have a serious phobia of public speaking and there are tons of other disorders, such as Asperger's, that severely limit a person's ability to handle even simple social interactions. M. Ehsan Hoque, a student at the MIT Media Lab, has made these subjects the focus of her latest project: MACH (My Automated Conversation coacH). At the heart of MACH is a complex system of facial and speech recognition algorithms that can detect subtle nuances in intonation while tracking smiles, head nods and eye movement. The latter is especially important since the front end of MACH is a computer generated avatar that can tell when you break eye contact and shift your attention elsewhere.

The software then provides feedback about your performance, helping to prep you for that big presentation or just guide you out of your shell. Experimental data suggests that coaching from MACH could even help you perform better in a job interview. What's particularly exciting is that the program requires no special hardware; it's designed to be used with a standard webcam and microphone on a laptop. So it might not be too long before we start seeing apps designed to help users through social awkwardness. Before you go, make sure to check out the video after the break.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/15/m...ocial-anxiety/


wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #53
wjfox
Wanna cook?
 
wjfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: L O N D O N
Posts: 37,212
Likes (Received): 4300

Will the Robots Steal Your Paycheck? BREAKING: They Already Have ...

Jordan Weissmann Jun 17 2013, 5:51 PM ET

A new study finds that labor's share of the world's income is plunging, and suggests the technology boom is to blame.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...y-have/276935/


wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #54
wjfox
Wanna cook?
 
wjfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: L O N D O N
Posts: 37,212
Likes (Received): 4300

Stanford's Artificial Neural Network Is The Biggest Ever

It's 6.5 times bigger than the network Google premiered last year, which has learned to recognize YouTube cats.

By Shaunacy Ferro Posted 06.18.2013 at 9:54 am

http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...k-biggest-ever
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #55
wjfox
Wanna cook?
 
wjfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: L O N D O N
Posts: 37,212
Likes (Received): 4300

Automation drives workers out of mining jobs

By Patrick Begley
July 27, 2013, 12:01 a.m.

Driverless trucks and trains in Australian mines are threatening jobs, a new report by the University of Queensland has found.

Remote-controlled technology and machines that work on their own promise greater efficiency and fewer accidents for mining companies.

But the advance of automation may lead to staff cuts in an already contracting workforce.

This week the Queensland Resources Council estimated that 8000 coal workers have lost their jobs in the past year.

"As with all new technologies, there will be winners and losers," says Professor David Brereton, a researcher at UQ's Centre for Social Responsibility in Mining.

“There will be jobs that disappear. There will be new jobs, but there won't be as many.”

The UQ research suggests an open cut iron mine could cut staff by up to 40 per cent by introducing a fleet of autonomous “smart trucks”.

http://www.northweststar.com.au/stor...g-jobs/?cs=12#


wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #56
vonbingen
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,964
Likes (Received): 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitreaktor View Post
we need technology as well as food
tribes in papoua or amazonia don't need technology.....and they are free, they are doing what they want......but WE are slaves of our shit consumer society and technology.....going to work every day....nice progress for the western modern human....we have all what we want we need but we are less happy less satisfied that indigenous people.
and the modern man becomes more and more stupid, idiotic because He can't now make nothing without machines, no calculating mentally or no writing without faults.
in our modern society we are all slaves slaves of technology of money......We are not free but enslaved men.
And if in the future the machine will destroy the man, it will be done well for him, it is him the person in charge and after my death can come the deluge because our humanity is not any more worth it.
Already 20 years now which I am obliged to work for this shit society in which I live.And why does the man want to create an articiel man, his artificial fellow man? The human is an idiot. Insects arrived in the first one and will leave the last ones of our planet.

Last edited by vonbingen; July 28th, 2013 at 02:51 AM.
vonbingen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #57
CMBA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 106
Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
tribes in papoua or amazonia don't need technology.....and they are free, they are doing what they want......
Stop being such a hippie, everything has its pros and cons.

The tribes may have fresh air and are generally more satisfied, but most of them have to deal with crap like wild animals, food, mysogyny, and other fabulous issues on a daily basis.

Also, I'm pretty sure the millions of dead tribal infants would say otherwise about them not needing technology. Without technology, the infant mortality rate skyrockets to levels which would frighten sane and informed people. There's a reason infants weren't expected to live to adulthood in most old societies. Technology was responsible for defeating that trend.

On a related note, modern farming has helped tremendously in preventing mass die-offs during famine. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have to explain to you the reason why fat people were viewed as the image of beauty back then.

Finally, once all is said and done, all that primitivism isn't gonna do you anything if a single rogue asteroid can wipe out most of the biosphere, including all the puny self-righteous tribes that live in it. Meanwhile, the technological civilization in the neighboring planet not only managed to deflect countless asteroids, and thus save their world and all that live in it, but also colonized other stars, ensuring the survival of not just their species, but also their world's lifeforms.

Primitivism may inherit the Earth, for however long it lasts, but technology will conquer the stars.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
but WE are slaves of our shit consumer society and technology.....going to work every day....nice progress for the western modern human....
First of all, quit whining.

Second, privileges such as antibiotics, roads, safe drinking water, electricity, and not to mention the very internet you are using right now, not to mention all the other stuff spoiled westerners enjoy, don't come free.

Third, no one is stopping you from waltzing into the nearest forest and living out the rest of your life there. For all that you whine and moan about technological society being evil, you sure don't seem to want to leave it. And that is what many people like to call hypocrisy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
we have all what we want we need but we are less happy less satisfied that indigenous people.
You poor, misinformed soul.

The only reason they're satisfied... heck how are you even sure about that? Maybe some of them yearn for more and that's the reason why a number of them go down from the mountains? In fact, doesn't history detail the many cargo cults that formed out of jealousy?

Real life isn't Avatar or Lord of the Rings. Technological civilizatinos aren't just flat caricatures of death, decay and despair.

But hey, let's ignore that for a moment and assume that they are more satisfied. The only major reason that they are is because they usually aren't completely aware of what's out there.

It's essentially the same reason why wizards in Harry Potter as so complacent and live to deride muggle society is because they don't completely understand the other side.

I'd rather take knowledge of reality rather than unwitting ignorance any day of the week.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
and the modern man becomes more and more stupid, idiotic because He can't now make nothing without machines, no calculating mentally or no writing without faults.
It's not that people are becoming more idiotic in general, it's that technological civilizations just experienced a major shift in priorities. Back when all you could think about was how to fend off predators and get enough food to last you the week, you didn't have much to think about. Today, people are getting more and more versed in the art of multitasking, managing vastly more information than what any ancient civilization would have thought possible.

And of course, we do this mostly through machines, servants of our own creation. It isn't that we have somehow gone stupid, it's that we have become so far above petty things such as how to light a fire or how to make a spear.

This entire perceived phenomenon is no different than an infantryman rising through the ranks and slowly sacrificing his frontline skills as he adapts the management skills needed to lead an entire army of individual infantrymen, the infantrymen of course being an analogy to machines. Is the general evil for sacrificing some of his frontline skills in order to expand his influence on the world via his subordinates? I think not.

The "dumbing down" is merely a change of skillset.

If you insist on technological civilization consistently making people idiots, I'll be forced to point out just how utterly stupid ancient people could be. There's a reason why modern society abandoned a crapton of superstitions as people became more informed about things.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
in our modern society we are all slaves slaves of technology of money......
Or maybe you're just lazy and whining about how you have to work in order to buy food.

I mean, it's not like tribal life is a walk in the park. Aren't you aware of just how much work is involved in a successful hunt? Heck, for the time a hunter spends to catch a bird, I could afford eight times as much, fully cooked, and then some.

Or heck, even in gathering. For the time it takes to gather a jar full of berries, I could afford several times as much, pre-sorted, fully cleaned, neatly packaged, and straight from the cooler.

And don't get me started on farming.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
We are not free but enslaved men.
We are all enslaved by the laws of reality. Technological or not, people need to work to get sustenance, whether it be by hunting with a bow or by sweeping and bagging groceries.

In fact, it's actually easier to get food in a modern society due to all the extra resources that can be devoted into negative sum causes such as feeding the elderly and mentally disabled.

There's a reason Eskimos abandoned their old in times of extreme famine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
And if in the future the machine will destroy the man, it will be done well for him,
Oh please, get off your high horse.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
it is him the person in charge and after my death can come the deluge because our humanity is not any more worth it.
Maybe in your opinion, but that's just that, your opinion.

On the other hand, a lot of sane and sensible people still sees hope in humanity, and isn't too concerned about the petty diatribes of people who wish to bring us back to the stone age.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
Already 20 years now which I am obliged to work for this shit society in which I live.
And who, pray tell, is stopping you from outright leaving it?

Afraid you won't have the food security that modern society affords you?

Well, crap, that's just how it is in your fabled pre-technological utopia.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
And why does the man want to create an articiel man, his artificial fellow man?
For someone who hates people who can't spell, that typo is oh so ironic.

As for your question: because we can.

And the endgame of it is to transfer ourselves into said men and become one with them, ridding us of our frail, biological bodies. We're on our way there already, with the advancement of prosthesis that are capable of actual movement and function.

I'd be hard pressed to see tribal people helping their disabled friends by giving them a functioning artificial leg or a working artificial eye. Or heck, that guy who's essentially a vegetable but manages to interact with his loved ones via real life neural plug.

And yeah, this one has always bugged me, a lot. For all that people like you complain about modern technology, you oftentimes ignore, perhaps willfully, the insanely massive contributions that it has given in the form of medicine. Let's see those Amazonians and how their infant and maternal mortality rate compares to modern civilization. I'm not gonna hold my breath.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
The human is an idiot.
No, some humans are idiots, but certainly not all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbingen View Post
Insects arrived in the first one and will leave the last ones of our planet.
Yeah, and when the Sun turns into a red giant and incinerates the Earth, humanity's spacefaring descendants will look on from neighboring star systems. They will experience as sense of loss for all the primitive lifeforms as well as for the poor Earth-bound human Luddites which stubbornly clung to their anti-technological ways.
__________________

-:UberMann:- liked this post
CMBA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #58
wjfox
Wanna cook?
 
wjfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: L O N D O N
Posts: 37,212
Likes (Received): 4300

wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #59
Rebhecca
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6
Likes (Received): 0

we falling into semantic here
Rebhecca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #60
Сталин
Marshal of SkyscraperCity
 
Сталин's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nürnberg
Posts: 1,441
Likes (Received): 513

Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu