daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #4481
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 1705

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
And so?

I mean, is this fact (i.e. a detail if you ask me) that important in your own personal life?
It has nothing to do with my personal life.
I just wanted to mean that so much work has still to be done before Paris becomes a true metropolis.

Sponsored Links

Old March 5th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #4482
ChrisDVD

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
It used to be my school (it was (re)created - in 2000 - during my archi. studies) ...
...but since I wasn't a big fan of the teaching/learning quality there, back then.. I decided to go to an US university in order to complete my architecture and urban studies (somewhere in Virginia; where I was graduated).

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy your 'weeks' (?) spent at Malaquais (aka the architecture school of the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts de Paris ).
Thanks! the course is offered by Université de Montréal, we are just using the ''atelier'' in Paris-Malaquais .... I will spend 6 weeks, and visit several firms, like Christian Portzamparc, Bernard Tschumi, etc...Can't wait to visit Paris!

parcdesprinces liked this post
ChrisDVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #4483
Ledindondelafarce

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
Just to the left of Melun, why is there an enclave not included in Greater Paris? And another one ... presumably radioactive ... south of Versailles?
and another one ... south of St. Germain en Laye?, and right of Evry?
First of all, what you need to know is that this map is not official. This was drawn according to rumours. The official projet is to be unveiled tomorrow.
Secondly, we heard that the Grand Paris - or Métropole de Paris - would fit Paris' urban area, which is the contiguous area of urbanisation around Paris. So the map we're talking about is only Paris' urban area - which explains why some "communes" are not integrated - but once again this is not official.
For the radioactive sign, it's just that there's a big CEA (a French nuclear agency) research center there.
Ledindondelafarce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #4484
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2001

Quote:
Thank-you for this. These are statistics I might have spent a long time compiling.
These stats are the dimensions of the administrative territory of the cities though, not the size of the actual urbanized areas. Beijing Municipality is 184 km (114 miles) from north to south, but the actual urbanized area of Beijing is only a much smaller area at the center of the huge municipality, which is largely rural.
Quote:
Just to the left of Melun, why is there an enclave not included in Greater Paris? And another one ... presumably radioactive ... south of Versailles?
and another one ... south of St. Germain en Laye?, and right of Evry?
These enclaves are not part of the Paris urban area because the houses in these enclaves are separated from the houses in the rest of the urban area by more than 200 meters of unbuilt land. That's why the French statistical agency did not include them in the urban area.

I hope that the Métropole de Paris will include these enclaves. It would be stupid to follow exactly the limits of the urban area and leave some enclaves inside the Métropole de Paris.

As for the radioactivity sign, it only indicates the location of France's national nuclear research center (where the French atomic bombs were designed, and nuclear research is still going on). Around this huge nuclear research center, a world-class scientific university is going to be built. It intends to rival the likes of Oxford, Cambridge, and MIT. That's why it's a very important territory in the Paris Metropolis.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #4485
Avemano
Luigi babe !

Likes (Received): 4819

VERY interesting progress
Avemano está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #4486
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledindondelafarce View Post
First of all, what you need to know is that this map is not official. This was drawn according to rumours. The official projet is to be unveiled tomorrow.
Secondly, we heard that the Grand Paris - or Métropole de Paris - would fit Paris' urban area, which is the contiguous area of urbanisation around Paris. So the map we're talking about is only Paris' urban area - which explains why some "communes" are not integrated - but once again this is not official.
For the radioactive sign, it's just that there's a big CEA (a French nuclear agency) research center there.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
These stats are the dimensions of the administrative territory of the cities though, not the size of the actual urbanized areas. Beijing Municipality is 184 km (114 miles) from north to south, but the actual urbanized area of Beijing is only a much smaller area at the center of the huge municipality, which is largely rural.

These enclaves are not part of the Paris urban area because the houses in these enclaves are separated from the houses in the rest of the urban area by more than 200 meters of unbuilt land. That's why the French statistical agency did not include them in the urban area.

I hope that the Métropole de Paris will include these enclaves. It would be stupid to follow exactly the limits of the urban area and leave some enclaves inside the Métropole de Paris.

As for the radioactivity sign, it only indicates the location of France's national nuclear research center (where the French atomic bombs were designed, and nuclear research is still going on). Around this huge nuclear research center, a world-class scientific university is going to be built. It intends to rival the likes of Oxford, Cambridge, and MIT. That's why it's a very important territory in the Paris Metropolis.
Thanks. Surely houses within those enclaves have some sort of dwelling within 200m?

Establishing comparable measures of urban centricity world-wide would be a very significant step. In Australia, the largest "city" is well-and truly the third largest if you look at the total metropolitan population. In NE USA, defining "Greater New York" spans state boundaries, and leads to all sorts of political problems.

Cities- or metropolii exist: regardless of where Administrators draw boundaries.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #4487
KiffKiff

Likes (Received): 3149

I like the name Métropole de Paris.
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:16 AM   #4488
hseugut

Likes (Received): 198

A great day for Paris.
hseugut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #4489
hseugut

Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Ok, I checked and apparently the enlarged city of Moscow is more populated than the Métropole de Paris, so Paris will be the 2nd most populated city in Europe within its administrative borders. Here is a comparison of Paris, Moscow and London within their administrative limits.

All maps are at the same scale. For Moscow, map and figures refer to the city of Moscow enlarged in July 2012. For each city I give the official name of its administrative entity, with an English translation, then the land area and population in 2010, then the official names of the executives and assemblies, with their English translations.

For Paris, I'll add more information and modify the map/figures as we learn more about the Métropole de Paris in the coming days.

If you take out districts 11 and 12 from Moscow then it is not the same story !
hseugut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #4490
Optimiste

Likes (Received): 32

Project : Tower in issy les moulineaux (Paris Metropole)

Godius liked this post
Optimiste no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #4491
letranger

Likes (Received): 22

Nice tower! Just proposed or already affirmed?
letranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #4492
skyscraperus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2196

And what about Istanbul ?
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #4493
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Quote:
Originally Posted by letranger View Post
Nice tower! Just proposed or already affirmed?
Just proposed..and not chosen finally. Optimiste keeps posting stuff he does not know anything about unfortunately.
Old March 6th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #4494
Optimiste

confirmed but now a hard part begin the public discussion
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #4495
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2345

Although you're 'optimistic', this project definitely is part of the not chosen ones. That's very sad indeed as it was pretty cool, but the winning project is the one below (which I don't like personally):

Cyril liked this post
Jex7844 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #4496
Optimiste

proposed rebuild (la défense)
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #4497
Optimiste

Cyril why are u so violent in your last post ?

I didnt see i put the wrong pictures!
Is it so terrible?
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #4498
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

I am not violent but you post things like that...with no background information...And this has little value and interestingness for our foreign visitors.
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #4499
Clery

Likes (Received): 1585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimiste View Post
Cyril why are u so violent in your last post ?

I didnt see i put the wrong pictures!
Is it so terrible?
No problem optimiste, Cyril didn't want to be mean. It's just that old members like us have accumulated several frustrations in the past, so we may seem grumpy once in a while. I have the same problem!

And for the matter, it's indeed sad the project you've shown wasn't chosen.

In posting it, you generate expectations that we know won't ever materialize, so it turns out to be counter productive to get an accurate idea about what's going on in Paris.
Clery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #4500
Optimiste

Thanks every two.
next Time i will try to be More efficient.

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects