daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Aviation and Airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1206 votes, 4.99 average.
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #181
JD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

http://www.business-standard.com/eco...eft=1&leftnm=3

Mumbai`s second runway on hold

Mumbai’s international airport will not have a new parallel runway until more land is available. Nor will it have a separate terminal for budget airlines unless the government offers cheaper ground handling and airport charges.

Unveiling its master plan, Mumbai International Airport Ltd, the GVK group-led venture that has the licence to modernise the Mumbai airport, said it had designed a parallel runway and had identified all the constraints that would come in its way.

“These include rehabilitation of slums, relocation of facilities, buying large tracts of private land and removing a number of private buildings that are obstructing the funnel,” said Mumbai International Airport Ltd Managing Director GV Sanjay Reddy. He added that 137 buildings and 42 other structures, including airlines’ facilities, were obstructing the parallel runway.

“Addressing such complex constraints cannot be time-bound. Therefore, while Mumbai International Airport Ltd will continue to work on the parallel runway, it has decided to substantially upgrade existing cross-runway operations to meet the growth in demand,” he said.

The Mumbai airport has two runways intersecting each other and only one is fully operational. The other one is used only during peak traffic.

The GVK-led consortium had initially planned to lay a runway parallel to the secondary runway and use that space for cargo handling. With the new plan, it will have to sacrifice the cargo complex.

Reddy said the master plan would enable 295,000 air traffic movements a year, against the current 165,000. Cross-runway operations will also handle 44 air traffic movements an hour in peak time, against the current 32.

Of the total land meant for the airport, 78 acres were carved out in the licence agreement with the government. The actual encroached land is 262 acres against the government estimate of 147 acres, land under litigation is 34 acres, and the operational area is only 936 acres.

Reddy said there would not be exclusive terminals for national airlines or private airlines.

During the interim phase, till 2008, Mumbai International Airport Ltd will refurbish Terminal 2B to include new lounges and retail outlets. It will also upgrade airside runway facilities and upgrade check-in counters and boarding bridges in Terminal 1A.
JD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 12th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #182
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 114

Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #183
Sridhar

Likes (Received): 5

Currently, 18mm passengers translate into 32 aircraft movements per hour. A rough calculation of how many aircraft movements would be required for a capacity of 40mm passengers is a proportional number and that comes to 71 aircraft per hour. Since the growth is explosive on the domestic front and will continue to be so, the number of aircraft movements per hour will be more. This is because
a. domestic operations involve smaller aircraft and hence more aircraft movements for the same number of passengers.
b. domestic demand fluctuates to a greater extent between peak and off-peak hours. Hence, the runway capacity needs to be greater if domestic operations drive the growth since the peak/off-peak aircraft handing ratio will only increase. And capacity has to be built to handle peak demand, not just average demand.

What MIAL seems to be betting on is that by the time the capacity constraint of 44 aircraft is reached, they would be able to get the land for the second runway and also clear the funnel. It is not clear to me however, that this will happen in time, i.e. before the capacity constraints are reached. Our Governments have a habit of acting only after a crisis point has been reached, not before that.
Sridhar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #184
chimppp

Likes (Received): 0

CNN IBN Airport Video Coverage

CNN IBN has a video report that reveals a few more details about the proposed changes at Mumbai. It seems that initially MIAL plans to expand terminal 1A. I'm not sure I understand why, given that I understood the airport was supposed to be all integrated into the Sahar terminal.

And-- now that they've spent (and are still spending) all of this money to refurbish terminal 1B (though they have not done the greatest job with that either), what will come of 1B? Why not turn 1B into a low cost carrier terminal?

Like Sridhar, I also have serious reservations about peak time aircraft movements, even with fortified and fully-operational cross runways. Does anybody know why an aircraft can land/take-off only every 90 seconds in Mumbai, whereas the movements per second is much higher for other single runway airports around the world?

Anyhow, here's the link.

http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/23840/...i-airport.html
chimppp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:52 AM   #185
Sridhar

The rationale for expansion of IA is quite clear. There is a period of four years between today and when the new integrated terminal is scheduled to be inaugurated. With explosive growths we are seeing, there is no option but to expand capacity and mostly on the domestic front. I don't fault that. However, I don't quite see how they can grow, even if they build the terminal capacity for that, without growth in aircraft handling capacity.

Ultimately, the Navi Mumbai airport will take the load off Mumbai, whose theoretical cap with existing runways is, in my estimation, 25-30mm pax per year. Of course, they might well get the land necessary to build a second parallel runway. But remember that it won't allow for full parallel operation due to absence of minimum inter-runway separation for full-parallel operation and the shorter length of parallel runway
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #186
Sridhar

Another issue with the design.

I am not sure why they went for the bridge to the remote concourse (they call it the T-pier). Instead, they could have extended the concourse a little bit outwards (towards the runway) and then had aircraft stands on both sides of the concourse. A tunnel could have connected the concourse to the main terminal. Perhaps there just isn't any space. But the bridge hinders movements except for small aircraft and blocks up space that could be used. For one, the place where the bridge joins the terminal could have been used for an aircraft stand. Given the shortage of aircraft stands (40 in-contact stands seems too little for a 40mm capacity airport), conserving the space for every stand should have been a priority.

It is likely that I don't know all the constraints the designers faced (including financial ones), but this seems like a potential waste of a few aircraft stands
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #187
IU
->

Here are some renderings via HT Mumbai Oct13

IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:14 AM   #188
IU
->

and here are some details..

IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #189
Sridhar

Actually, it seems as if there will be 36 in-contact aircraft stands and not 40 as I initially estimated. The Western radial pier (towards the right in the diagram) seems to be the domestic side, with more closely spaced stands (for smaller aircraft) and the eastern pier for international operations.

I also did not add that the terminal design does seem to be inspired by a peacock, as Anniyan told us a few days ago. (God knows where he got this info! ).
Old October 13th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #190
sammyk

Likes (Received): 23

I only see 30 gates, where do you see 36?
sammyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #191
ramkan

Likes (Received): 2

How are they going to be rebuild over existing one?

Are they going to build new terminal over existing Terminal 2? I got this picture from flickr as a reference.
ramkan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #192
sammyk

Likes (Received): 23

They'll probably do it in stages by shutting down sections at a time. From the looks of it it doesn't seem they are going to demolish the primary structure, just gut it to the structural beams and rebuild it.
sammyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #193
p2p4

Likes (Received): 1400

HI Sridhar,

Anniyan's guess is in a way, right. If you look at the Arriva's Plaza design (TOP VIEW), it does - but slightly - resemble a fully fluttered peacock's flourish. He may not be completely wrong in his assumptions.

BTW - I am flying to Mumbai on the 20th and if you are in Mumbai, might catch up with you. (Am sending a PM to you.. we can lead on from that)

Cheers
P2p4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar View Post
Actually, it seems as if there will be 36 in-contact aircraft stands and not 40 as I initially estimated. The Western radial pier (towards the right in the diagram) seems to be the domestic side, with more closely spaced stands (for smaller aircraft) and the eastern pier for international operations.

I also did not add that the terminal design does seem to be inspired by a peacock, as Anniyan told us a few days ago. (God knows where he got this info! ).
p2p4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #194
Sridhar

p2p4:

I was actually pointing to the fact that Anniyan was right, long before the renderings came out. I wasn't saying that he was wrong. I was pointing to the fact that it does indeed seem to have been inspired by a peacock. And was wondering how he got this news long before anybody else. Maybe the way I worded it was confusing.

BTW, I don't live in Mumbai, or in India for that matter. Would have definitely met up if I was there.
Old October 13th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #195
Sridhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
I only see 30 gates, where do you see 36?
Look at the master plan renderings - the HT report has a rendering by its own artist and hence misses out the four gates on the southern end of the eastern radial pier (on the left) and two more gates at its end. Thus, six more gates that you don't see in the HT rendering.
Old October 13th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #196
Sridhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
They'll probably do it in stages by shutting down sections at a time. From the looks of it it doesn't seem they are going to demolish the primary structure, just gut it to the structural beams and rebuild it.
Further, the arrival plaza will be in the area where there is the parking lot currently. This will be built, as will the three piers. Once these are built, they can start on the central section (the current terminal) tearing it down and building up, like in the case of Terminal 1A.
Old October 13th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #197
Bombay Boy

Likes (Received): 8

reddy had said it would be peacock inspired sometime back on cnbc. it had also come in a few papers
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #198
Bombay Boy

Likes (Received): 8

At T2, 316 check-in counters, 4 lakh sq ft of luxury and duty free

Brand new terminal at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport will be ready by 2010, master plan with ministry of civil aviation

Express News Service

Mumbai, October 12: Circa 2010: Zipping across a dedicated six-lane flyover or travelling by a spur line of the Mumbai Metro to catch a flight—the beautiful landscaping a mere blur—you hit the airport precinct to alight at the peacock-inspired four-level glass and steel construction that will be Mumbai’s showcase to the world. The Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (CSIA).

A brand new terminal building, T2, with everything on offer — from the best international brands to a quintessential Mumbai feel. Of the Rs 5,200 crore that Mumbai International Airport Ltd (MIAL) will spend by 2010, ‘‘65-70 per cent investment will be on T2,’’ said G V Sanjay Reddy, Managing Director, MIAL, as he unveiled the master plan of CSIA that’s been handed over to the ministry of civil aviation on October 3. The Ministry will revert to MIAL with comments on the same within a month.

While the option of demolishing the existing international terminal was closely looked at during the last six months when MIAL laboured over the plan, ‘‘we realised it would then be impossible to maintain capacity, considering the traffic Mumbai caters to,’’ said Reddy.

Instead, the current parking lot at the international terminal will make way for T2, which will host new airline lounges, retail outlets and duty free shopping. The main area, an Arrival Plaza spread over four lakh sq ft, will be accessible to all visitors and will be promoted as a ‘‘destination point.’’

When T2 is ready, there will be 316 check-in counters compared to the existing 182 and 51 aerobridges as against the 18 now. The number of car parking spots will go up three times — from 3,600 now to 12,000. Airlines will have a reason to smile as aircraft parking stands will increase from 84 to 106, with 67 in contact and 39 remote stands.

Aesthetic appeal apart, the terminal will cater to traffic of 30 million passengers (international and domestic) per annum (mppa). The domestic terminal at Santacruz will cater to about 10-12 mppa.

The refurbishment and construction will be undertaken in three major phases, plus an interim phase for the implementation of immediate measures. To be completed by 2008, these include: complete refurbishment of terminal 2-B, revamp of terminal 1-A with additional check-in counters and aerobridges, setting up temporary cargo facilities to enhance capacity and upgrading airside and city-side facilities.

While 85 per cent of the development will be undertaken by 2010 (see box), phase two and three—spanning five years each—will be concluded by 2020.

‘‘It’s a blessing in disguise that terminal 2-B is currently not being used, and we will take it up first. We will strip it down section by section, and it won’t be recognisable once we’re done with it,’’ Reddy concluded.
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #199
Sridhar

OK, thanks.

Here is a report with some more details on the terminal - its cost, the number of gates etc (though it is contradictory to what we see in the renderings and internally contradicts itself on the number of gates).

http://cities.expressindia.com/fulls...?newsid=205041

Quote:
At T2, 316 check-in counters, 4 lakh sq ft of luxury and duty free
Brand new terminal at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport will be ready by 2010, master plan with ministry of civil aviation
Express News Service
Mumbai, October 12: Circa 2010: Zipping across a dedicated six-lane flyover or travelling by a spur line of the Mumbai Metro to catch a flight—the beautiful landscaping a mere blur—you hit the airport precinct to alight at the peacock-inspired four-level glass and steel construction that will be Mumbai’s showcase to the world. The Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (CSIA).

A brand new terminal building, T2, with everything on offer — from the best international brands to a quintessential Mumbai feel. Of the Rs 5,200 crore that Mumbai International Airport Ltd (MIAL) will spend by 2010, ‘‘65-70 per cent investment will be on T2,’’ said G V Sanjay Reddy, Managing Director, MIAL, as he unveiled the master plan of CSIA that’s been handed over to the ministry of civil aviation on October 3. The Ministry will revert to MIAL with comments on the same within a month.

While the option of demolishing the existing international terminal was closely looked at during the last six months when MIAL laboured over the plan, ‘‘we realised it would then be impossible to maintain capacity, considering the traffic Mumbai caters to,’’ said Reddy.

Instead, the current parking lot at the international terminal will make way for T2, which will host new airline lounges, retail outlets and duty free shopping. The main area, an Arrival Plaza spread over four lakh sq ft, will be accessible to all visitors and will be promoted as a ‘‘destination point.’’

When T2 is ready, there will be 316 check-in counters compared to the existing 182 and 51 aerobridges as against the 18 now[Ed: 13 at T-2 and 5 at T-1A, so will the 51 include those at T-1A and potentially at T-1B? Even so, they don't add up to 51]. The number of car parking spots will go up three times — from 3,600 now to 12,000. Airlines will have a reason to smile as aircraft parking stands will increase from 84 to 106, with 67 in contact [Ed: why is this different from the 51 aerobridges, unless they mean in-contact but without aerobridges?? What would that mean?] and 39 remote stands.

Aesthetic appeal apart, the terminal will cater to traffic of 30 million passengers (international and domestic) per annum (mppa). The domestic terminal at Santacruz will cater to about 10-12 mppa. [Ed: It is not clear why this will be retained given that MIAL is planning to shift all domestic operations to the 'integrated' terminal 2 and does not want a separate low-cost airlines terminal either]

The refurbishment and construction will be undertaken in three major phases, plus an interim phase for the implementation of immediate measures. To be completed by 2008, these include: complete refurbishment of terminal 2-B, revamp of terminal 1-A with additional check-in counters and aerobridges, setting up temporary cargo facilities to enhance capacity and upgrading airside and city-side facilities.

While 85 per cent of the development will be undertaken by 2010 (see box), phase two and three—spanning five years each—will be concluded by 2020.

‘‘It’s a blessing in disguise that terminal 2-B is currently not being used, and we will take it up first. We will strip it down section by section, and it won’t be recognisable once we’re done with it,’’ Reddy concluded.
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #200
Hindustani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 190

I quess the "T Pier" cannot be expanded in future. The left and Right radial piers can be expanded. Good work by the architects. Looks world class.
Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mumbai

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: