daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » completed | under construction | proposed | demolished

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 20th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #5261
The London BestShard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

I am passionate. (NOT a crime).
The London BestShard no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 20th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #5262
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 1884

So, as FC United end their legal battle, Cambridge United's fight for a new stadium is about to start.

Quote:
Campaigners are battling plans for a new community stadium south of Cambridge with united opposition amid fears about the impact on Grantchester Meadows.

Four residents’ associations and two parish councils have signed a letter which warns construction of an 8,000-seater ground for Cambridge United plus 400 homes near Trumpington would be a disaster.

They are concerned about the loss of green belt land and the merging of the city with nearby villages, plus traffic and parking.
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News...0320100006.htm
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #5263
RMB2007

Good grief, yet another potential new stadium (Slough Town F.C.) legal battle.

Quote:
Council chiefs vow to fight government order to give up stadium site for free school

COUNCIL chiefs have pledged they will take their fight against a government order to give a site to a free school to the courts.

Slough Borough Council chiefs have accused the Department for Education of making a 'shocking' and 'ill-informed' U-turn after officials sent a letter to the council ordering them to give the old Arbour Vale School site to the trust behind a new Sikh free school.

Council chief executive Ruth Bagley responded to the letter today, stating the council would lose £8m if its plans for the site - including a new football stadium for Slough Town, community sports facilities and housing - had to be scrapped.

She also vowed to push for a judicial review if the Government enforces legislation which could force the council to flog the land.
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...pN1zW37jCyeizw
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:45 PM   #5264
C F Looprevil

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post
Nope. AFL are the architects for this project.
Any interior renders released yet?
C F Looprevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:40 AM   #5265
Leedsrule

Likes (Received): 459

Quote:
West Ham get Olympic Stadium after government ups funding

West Ham will be anchor tenants for the Olympic Stadium after the government agreed to put in an extra £25m towards the costs of converting the venue.

The additional money takes the Treasury's contribution to around £60m.

Adapting the stadium could cost between £150m and £190m.

Under conversion plans, the roof will be extended and the seating capacity reduced from 80,000 to 60,000, with a retractable system allowing the venue to be converted from an athletics arena to football stadium within days.

Seats will slide over the running track to bring West Ham fans closer to the action.

The London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) will begin work on the roof in the autumn and officials hope it will be ready for the autumn of 2015 - in time for the Rugby World Cup.

After that the stadium will close again to reconfigure the stadium's lower seating bowl and re-open in time for West Ham to start playing their games there in August 2016.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21889864

Good news

Hereford Duncan liked this post
Leedsrule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:54 PM   #5266
JimB

Likes (Received): 513

So where is he rest of the money coming from, then?
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:57 PM   #5267
RMB2007

Quote:
Government: Around £60m

Loan from Newham Council: £40m

LLDC loan: £20m

West Ham: £15m

There will also be funding from London Mayor Boris Johnson's budget
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21889864

Hereford Duncan liked this post

Last edited by RMB2007; March 22nd, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:56 PM   #5268
JimB

Likes (Received): 513

Ah, right......so pretty much all government funded, then. Local and national.

What a good use of taxpayers' money. I mean, it's not as if money is tight at the moment or as if crucial government departments and local services are being squeezed.

#fuckup
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5269
berdberd
CNX : Capital of Lanna

Likes (Received): 496

West Ham United are delighted to confirm that the Olympic Stadium will be their home from the 2016/17 season

West Ham United are today celebrating the historic announcement by Mayor of London Boris Johnson granting them the right to make the Olympic Stadium their home from the start of the 2016/17 season.

As a result of the announcement, the Hammers have released new images of the innovatively transformed Stadium so the West Ham supporters can for the first time see the dynamic proposals that will transform the Stadium, already a prestigious part of the UK's sporting heritage, into a world-class UEFA category 4, 54,000-seater Stadium fit to host the world's most famous competitions during the football season.

Having been bound by strict confidentiality agreements imposed upon them, the club are now set to embark on a detailed, independent supporter consultation process to help ensure the Stratford stadium matches the high standards Hammers fans would expect from their new home.

Vice-Chairman Karren Brady said: "I'm delighted that we have been confirmed today as the anchor concessionaire for the Olympic Stadium. I commend my two Chairmen for their passion and commitment. I am delighted this has been rewarded now that their ambition to see the Club they love enjoy a bright future at the Olympic Stadium has been realised.

"It was important to me that we struck a deal that would stand the test of time that represented the right deal for West Ham United and our loyal and patient supporters.

"The consultation we have promised them will now begin and we can't wait to work with them to create a stunning new home that befits the pride, passion and tradition that the world associates with West Ham United."

Joint-Chairmen David Sullivan and David Gold said: "'It's fantastic for everyone at West Ham United that at last all the Club's hard work over the past three years has paid off. Since we came to West Ham in 2010 we have had a vision to really take the club forward so West Ham United can compete on the pitch at the highest level.

"Today's decision offers us a real platform to do this and we are fully committed to making it a real success. We understand the responsibilities that come with calling the nation's iconic Olympic Stadium, which will be converted into a world-class football stadium, our new home. It is an honour we will take on with pride.''

West Ham United will shortly launch a Q+A document for supporters, which details some of the most common questions about the move. The club will be adding to the document with further questions from fans over the coming weeks. Supporters can email in questions to yourosquestions@westhamunited.co.uk

West Ham United Football Club

Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:22 PM   #5270
Leedsrule

So they won't acctualy move the lower bowl, just put up scaffold temporary stands around the pitch? I thought it's be like stade de france or the anz stadium :/

It'll be odd to use it for athletics, with the roof covering the track :L If it rains, the runners will still be dry

See my latest models! http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...5342&scoring=m

www.morganstadia.com
Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:33 PM   #5271
RMB2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedsrule View Post
So they won't acctualy move the lower bowl, just put up scaffold temporary stands around the pitch? I thought it's be like stade de france or the anz stadium :/

It'll be odd to use it for athletics, with the roof covering the track :L If it rains, the runners will still be dry
No, it'll have retractable seating like the Stade de France. The roof will be done in time for the RWC, whilst the retractable seating will be done after that, meaning it should be in place for when West Ham move into the stadium in August 2016.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:47 PM   #5272
Leedsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post
No, it'll have retractable seating like the Stade de France. The roof will be done in time for the RWC, whilst the retractable seating will be done after that, meaning it should be in place for when West Ham move into the stadium in August 2016.
It dosent look like it in this photo. It looks like theyve left the original bowl behind and put this lower tier on the athletics track with gangways linking it to the entrances over the gap:

www.morganstadia.com
Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:59 PM   #5273
RMB2007

Well, retractable seating is happening as it's been mention by Boris and West Ham's owners numerous times today.

Some interviews. Karren Brady:

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/vide...be-world-class

Boris:

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/vide...m-stadium-move
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:28 PM   #5274
Leedsrule

Well I doubt they know as much as we do about stadiums. They may call it 'retractable' seating but I call it 'temporary' seating.

www.morganstadia.com
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:33 PM   #5275
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Ah, right......so pretty much all government funded, then. Local and national.

What a good use of taxpayers' money. I mean, it's not as if money is tight at the moment or as if crucial government departments and local services are being squeezed.

#fuckup
Well, at least they're not stopping at half-a***d... They're going full on by shoehorning a compromised form into a "temporary" structure! Good on ya, London!

Which of course means the location will give this venue a role in a future World Cup over the likes of Emirates, WHL or anything more, excuse me, Moore proper.

Right then.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:41 PM   #5276
RMB2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedsrule View Post
Well I doubt they know as much as we do about stadiums. They may call it 'retractable' seating but I call it 'temporary' seating.
Temporary seating was ruled out due to the cost of storing it, plus the time it takes to erect and remove, hence the reason why they've opted for the Stade de France retractable seating option for the lower bowl.

The initial renders are more to do with giving West Ham fans an idea of how the stadium could look with West Ham's branding on it, and you're likely to get more detailed images once the planning documents have been submitted.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:36 PM   #5277
West12Rangers

Likes (Received): 26

i dont think we should pay too much notice of those artists impressions
West12Rangers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:43 PM   #5278
RobH

Likes (Received): 1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by West12Rangers View Post
i dont think we should pay too much notice of those artists impressions
Agreed.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5279
matthemod

Likes (Received): 33

Unfortunately, I imagine we won't actually get a proper, representative perspective of how the views will be until construction is all but finished.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:43 PM   #5280
RMB2007

You'll certainly get a better understanding once the planning documents are submitted to the PPDT. At least then the rake of the retractable lower tier will be known, so will the actual distances between the pitch and the stands. West Ham's owners won't be able to hide those facts with shiny renders.