daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Urban Renewal and Redevelopment Bringing new life into old buildings and neighbourhoods

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: How many years?
less than 100 11 2.53%
100-200 42 9.68%
200-300 27 6.22%
300-400 28 6.45%
400-500 47 10.83%
500-600 17 3.92%
600-700 17 3.92%
700-800 35 8.06%
800-900 21 4.84%
900-1,000 24 5.53%
1,000-1,500 46 10.60%
1,500-2,000 18 4.15%
more than 2,000 101 23.27%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 26th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #141
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 1091

My current city is very new. There were some settlements before but the real history starts in 1819 when the great Thomas Stamford Raffles arrived and signed a treaty with Sultan Hussein Shah of Johor on behalf of the British East India Company to develop the southern part of Singapore as a British trading post. Until a few decades ago it was an insignificant town.
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 26th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #142
Igor L.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3809

Kyiv, Ukraine

Part 2

According to legend, Kyiv was founded by three brothers (princes), Kyi, Shchek and Khoryv, and their sister Lybid. Kyiv is named after Kyi, the eldest brother. Legend has it that the emergence of a great city on the future location of Kyiv was prophesied by St. Andrew (one of the Apostles). He was fascinated by the spectacular location on the hilly shores of the Dnieper River. The city is thought to have existed as early as the 5th century, initially as a Slavic settlement. Archaeological excavations have shown there indeed was an ancient settlement from the 5th century. Gradually acquiring eminence as the center of the East Slavic civilization, Kyiv reached its Golden Age as the center Kyivan Rus' in the 10th–12th centuries.

Monument to the legendary founders of Kyiv

http://tov-tob.livejournal.com/

Kyiv Pechersk Lavra (Monastery of the Caves) was founded in the mid-11th century, is one of the most famous and important monasteries in the history of Europe.

http://elektraua.livejournal.com/

Kyiv Pechersk Lavra is the largest Christian monastery in the world. The architectural complex of Kyiv Pechersk Lavra is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1990.

Saint Sophia Cathedral (Ukrainian: Собор Святої Софії):

The cathedral was founded by Grand Prince Yaroslav the Wise in the first half of the 11th century (1037).
In 17-18 centuries the cathedral was rebuilt in the Ukrainian baroque style but inside have been preserved frescoes & mosaics of 11th century:

Saint Sophia Cathedral was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1990.

_Mosaics: http://www.icon-art.info/location.ph...d=148&mode=mos
Frescoes: http://www.icon-art.info/location.ph...d=148&mode=mur
Igor L. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #143
socbay

Likes (Received): 0

great !
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #144
NiGhtPiSH
Sofia Hardcore

Likes (Received): 506

My hometown Sofia dates back to the neolithic age. Archeological works have proven there was human settlment as early as 5000 BC, due to the strategic location and the available hot water springs. During the late antiquity it was a blooming town. It was fortified and during the Roman period was one of the possible candidates for a capital of the Eastern Roman empire, known as Byzanthium.

As for it's names it has been known as Sardica, Sredets, Triaditsa and for the last 5 centuries has been known as Sofia, namely after the Hagia Sophia church (6th century AD)

The oldest surviving building that still stands in our days is the St. George rotunda, 4th century AD, which in fact is one of the oldest functioning churches in the world.

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #145
Gutovsky

Likes (Received): 3150

I live in São Paulo, which was founded during a Jesuit Mass in January 25th, 1554 (therefore, 459 yo), on the margins of the Tamanduateí river. The city was founded around a school pateo ("Páteo do Colégio"), which was used to christianize the indigenous population and teach them portuguese (as well as understand the natives' language). Although it is as old as some of the most important south-american cities, until around 1810 it was not more than a few streets, most of which still exist under different names. A map of the city back then:

This was the exact location of the mass (the original Jesuit school has been rebuilt), in a hill next to the Tamanduateí river, which now runs far from the location:

(Both from the Histórico Demográfico da Prefeitura de São Paulo).

However, through the immigration attracted by the booming coffee culture and the industrialization of Brazil, between 1870-1950 the city grew enormously, becoming one of the world's biggest (as of today, it is the 5th largest agglomeration, according to the UN, 3rd in the Americas and the largest city in the southern hemisphere). Just for comparison, here's a picture of the city seen from the top of one of its tallest and most famous buildings, the Banespa (my picture), where you can see the "Páteo do Colégio" in the lower left, with the Sé Cathedral (one of the 10 biggest neogothic churches in the world) in the middle:

Old March 26th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #146
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 1490

Luanda- 428 years!

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #147
EagleX
GLaDOS

Likes (Received): 525

Subotica, Serbia
Subotica is about 622 years old.

The first mentioning of Subotica in written documents dates from May 7th 1391; however the settlement has surely been older. It has been established that people inhabited these territories even 3000 years ago. The fate of Subotica was clearly defined by its position between Europe and Asia, whilst, historically, it was between two opposing forces – the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman Empires. Frequent migrations resulted in a diverse population on this military borderland, such as: Serbs, Hungarians , Germans, Slovaks, Jews, Bunjevci and Greeks… Both the rulers and the names of the city changed quite often. Since its first name: Zabatka given in 1391, the city has changed more than 200 names, however the most peculiar ones are Szent – Maria, Maria-Theresiopolis, Maria Theresienstadt, Szabadka and Subotica.
image hosted on flickr
Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:23 AM   #148
NickABQ

Likes (Received): 77

Where I live has been continuously settled by indigenous human inhabitants since about 1300 AD. As a "Western" community, some neighborhoods of my city have been settled since about 1680.

However, my city in it's current incarnation, Albuquerque, has been official since 1706

Out Tricentennial celebrations here a while back were very big indeed!!

I Love South Africa
NickABQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:03 PM   #149
TERZIev
kyp

Likes (Received): 5993

The Varna culture is a record holder, the oldest golden treasure in the world was discovered in Varna Necropolis, consisting of coins, weapons and jewellery dating to 4,600 BC

"Няма да престанем да искаме пълна автономия за българите в Македония, в противен случай не ще има мир на Балканите."
- Александър Балабанов -

Faces from Bulgaria...
TERZIev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:38 PM   #150
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 311

Indianapolis, Indiana USA Platted in 1820 and it became a town in 1821. It is currently 192 years old. Just a baby.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:46 PM   #151
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 956

My city was founded in 316 BC, but there was a much older settlement, nearby! The name of the city can be found in the Bible...
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:59 PM   #152
Weir
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

SÃO JOAQUIM, BRAZIL

My city is young, founded by late immigrants, mostly coming from germany and italy, in 1887.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7634/...uimnevewk5.jpg

http://palavrastodaspalavras.files.w...8/sao-joaq.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._4%2C_2010.jpg

and Brazil itself is young, 513 years old.
Weir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:09 AM   #153
dexter26
BANNED

Likes (Received): 439

Oslo Norway - a few years over a 1000 years old, but only started growing for real some years into the 1800s (like, 1810 or so).
dexter26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:22 AM   #154
Galro

Likes (Received): 3454

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter26 View Post
Oslo Norway - a few years over a 1000 years old, but only started growing for real some years into the 1800s (like, 1810 or so).
I did grow heavily during the 14th century too and it did become the capital a rather large city at the time (but still behind Bergen I believe). However it later went in decline after Haakon V of Norways death, the black plague and various devasting fires.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:30 AM   #155
Galro

Likes (Received): 3454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
My city was founded in 316 BC, but there was a much older settlement, nearby! The name of the city can be found in the Bible...
Are we supposed to read through the whole bible to find out which city is "yours"?

Last edited by Galro; April 3rd, 2013 at 12:41 AM.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:22 AM   #156
dexter26
BANNED

Likes (Received): 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
I did grow heavily during the 14th century too and it did become the capital a rather large city at the time (but still behind Bergen I believe). However it later went in decline after Haakon V of Norways death, the black plague and various devasting fires.
Details, details.... J/k, nice to know more about the history, well I probably already knew that, but forgot . Starting to get old this chap is, hmmm....
dexter26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:31 AM   #157
mtsbjm1
^

Banjarmasin, Indonesia

this September my city turns 486th years old
this city starts as a center for the Banjarese Kingdom until the Dutch arrives in this city.

sorry without historical pictures,

mtsbjm1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:04 AM   #158
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 224

City of Stalowa Wola was established officially in 1945 so it's 68 years old as for today. My grandmother is older than the city I live in
On a side note, the city rights were signed on the first of april. No april fools though, it was a heaven-sent for the southern-east Poland !

Buildings for the city itself started construction before the war, but after city's expansion we "captured" a neighbour city of Rozwadów that's 323 years old.

Kopacz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:12 AM   #159
Kintoy
BAND

Likes (Received): 1220

Manila dates back to c.900 AD (Kingdom of Tondo).
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:30 AM   #160
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Are we supposed to read through the whole bible to find out which city is "yours"?
LOL. St. Paul's letter to the Thessalonians explains everything!
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote