daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #3561
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauchef View Post
The rest around the «Inner City» are unfortunately commieblocks, wasteland and cheap new stuff.
Understand your feeling, but rebuilding an entire city takes time, money, effort, and TONS of arguments over what to do and how it will look.

The commie blocks, particularly visible as brownish/red rows your the aerial image, were built decades ago to provide much needed basics--shelter, heat, plumbing, and cooking. We all would love to see Striessen, Johannestadt, and the areas north of the Hauptbahnhof and west of PragerStr cleansed of the unattractive rows of barracks-style housing, and in due course, let's hope renovation expands.

But since 1992, Dresden has arisen from the depths of ugliness and rubble like none other and the scope is quite impressive.

rychlik, erbse, extrawelt, Highcliff liked this post
keepthepast está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 1st, 2013, 12:56 AM   #3562
The Blond Guy

Likes (Received): 61

I was there last summer and i stayed in a hotel north of the Elbe, a bit north of the neustadt bahnhof. So we had to pass the neustadt to get to the altstadt. And I must say that it was really lovely. A lot of old restored houses a fantastic atmoshpere and a lot of young people drinking and having a good time in the streets. I want to visit the city again and spend more time in the neustadt. The people there seem to know how to party.

extrawelt, TimothyR, Highcliff liked this post
The Blond Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:23 PM   #3563
durden5573

Likes (Received): 73

I was there a few years ago and rented a Trabi to tour around the city (Trabi Safari), I was blown away by the beauty of the river valley and estates around the city.

Ive been watching Dresden since the early 90s and more than impressed with how it has risen from the rubble into an amazing city. It will take another generation before the scars of the bombing are healed, I for one am impressed with the speed and quality of what has already been accomplished. I cant imagine how expensive reconstruction of this magnitude is.

erbse, Highcliff liked this post
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:56 PM   #3564
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 121

Another Thread ...

... that may be of interest:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1607530
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #3565
Bauchef

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Understand your feeling, but rebuilding an entire city takes time, money, effort, and TONS of arguments over what to do and how it will look.

The commie blocks, particularly visible as brownish/red rows your the aerial image, were built decades ago to provide much needed basics--shelter, heat, plumbing, and cooking. We all would love to see Striessen, Johannestadt, and the areas north of the Hauptbahnhof and west of PragerStr cleansed of the unattractive rows of barracks-style housing, and in due course, let's hope renovation expands.

But since 1992, Dresden has arisen from the depths of ugliness and rubble like none other and the scope is quite impressive.
The sad thing is also: After the war, the «DDR» tore all down and began to «reconstruct»*its inner city in the typical «urban Stalinism» (ex. the Altmarkt), blended with some styles from its own heritages. Then Stalin died, Chruschtschow came and changed even architecture (ugly Commieblocks). But the tryings in the Stalin Aera JUST in the architectural way was interesting - but sparsely built in East -Germany.

If you are already impressed with the few old spots in Dresden - go to Leipzig and see the Jahrhundertwende -Quartiers they are go to revitalize.
Bauchef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #3566
erbse
Alpha Bull

Likes (Received): 23089

The GDR reconstructed buildings like the Semperoper and Hofkirche, though.

I hope they'll soon continue at the Neustadt side. The old Neustadt city hall is a must for reconstruction!

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...3%9Fe_1900.jpg
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #3567
erbse
Alpha Bull

The Narrenhäusl (jester's house) at the Augustus bridge would be a real gem, too!

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...Markt_1900.jpg

Chadoh25, Plaudit, Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #3568
erbse
Alpha Bull

And I'd love to see the Grosse Meissner Gasse coming back! (the street along Elbe river on the Neustadt side, leading to the Japanese palace)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...Markt_1910.jpg

In this street, only the building of the Hotel Bellevue survived WW2:
image hosted on flickr

The Westin Bellevue, Dresden—Exterior von Westin Hotels and Resorts auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

_DSC3832 von stal_m auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Exterior - The Westin Bellevue Dresden, Dresden, Germany von Sleep and Meet auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Westin Bellevue Hotel Dresden von The Westin Bellevue Dresden auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Westin Bellevue, Dresden—Atrium Lounge von Westin Hotels and Resorts auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Westin Bellevue, Dresden—Garden von Westin Hotels and Resorts auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Westin Bellevue, Dresden—Inner Courtyard von Westin Hotels and Resorts auf Flickr

The views!
image hosted on flickr

Biergarten Elbsegler Dresden am The Westin Bellevue Hotel Dresden von The Westin Bellevue Dresden auf Flickr

The other buildings at Grosse Meissner Gasse were just as magnificent... All gone.
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #3569
TimothyR

Likes (Received): 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertog View Post
True, but the area he marks does more or less cover the extent of all historic or rebuild buildings mentioned earlier: Hofkirche, Zwinger, Opera, Brühl Terrace, Johanneum and Neumarkt are all in this enclosing.

This does not mean, however, that I agree with his statement that the rest 'are unfortunately commieblocks, wasteland and cheap new stuff.' To the north, across the river, you'll find a large area with more historic buildings. This area was spared much destruction and is therefore much more a 'complete ensemble'. When I visited Dresden I loved the historic / restored centre, and I also love the reconstructions going on around the Neumarkt, but the Neustadt was maybe even better, because it was a great surprise to me - or maybe because of all the lovely bars around there .
Yes, very true!

I stayed in the Neustadt and there are many charming and beautiful streets as well as the 'commie blocks'. We spent a week on the Nieritzstraße. Very nice. The streets around it are quite nice as well.
Yet cannot bring relief?

Westward the sun is dropping,
And the roofs of towns are shining in the light.
Already death is chalking doors with crosses
And calling the ravens and the ravens are in flight."

Anna Akhmatova, 1914
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #3570
TimothyR

Likes (Received): 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
The GDR reconstructed buildings like the Semperoper and Hofkirche, though.

I hope they'll soon continue at the Neustadt side. The old Neustadt city hall is a must for reconstruction!

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...3%9Fe_1900.jpg

Quote:
The Narrenhäusl (jester's house) at the Augustus bridge would be a real gem, too!

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...Markt_1900.jpg

Thank you for the posts Erbse. These are beautiful. How wonderful to visit Dresden in ten years and - perhaps - see these rebuilt.

Cheers Dresden.
Yet cannot bring relief?

Westward the sun is dropping,
And the roofs of towns are shining in the light.
Already death is chalking doors with crosses
And calling the ravens and the ravens are in flight."

Anna Akhmatova, 1914

Highcliff liked this post
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #3571
keepthepast

It would be great to have the Neustadt City Hall rebuilt, but right now they are refurbishing the 50s/60s style buildings in that location. I don't see how anyone would approve the site for a tear down and rebuild if a lot of money is currently being spent remodeling the existing structures.

With the remodeling, I suspect we're stuck with what's there for another 50 years.
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #3572
keepthepast

Quote:
And I'd love to see the Grosse Meissner Gasse coming back! (the street along Elbe river on the Neustadt side, leading to the Japanese palace)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...Markt_1910.jpg

In this street, only the building of the Hotel Bellevue survived WW2:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/westinhotels/8068327644/][img]

The other buildings at Grosse Meissner Gasse were just as magnificent... All gone.
While the Hotel Bellevue survived, it's hard to know it! They have built a horribly designed structure around the surviving jewel to add rooms and space, and the original is overwhelmed by a ominous looking monster that has no appeal at all. This would be an excellent property to use as an example of how to easily retrofit the 60s/70s facade with a more classic baroque/Wilhelmine treatment. The newer parts of the hotel are plain block exteriors and could have ornamentations added to recreated the former appearances and align with the origin building Erbse has shown.

Rebuilding the entire block would be a huge blessing, but in advance of that big wish, I'd be happy with a reconstruction of the Kaiser Wilhelm Platz that is where the Grosse Meissenergasse approached the Japanes Palais and from which the KonigStr led northward.
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #3573
erbse
Alpha Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
It would be great to have the Neustadt City Hall rebuilt, but right now they are refurbishing the 50s/60s style buildings in that location. I don't see how anyone would approve the site for a tear down and rebuild if a lot of money is currently being spent remodeling the existing structures.

With the remodeling, I suspect we're stuck with what's there for another 50 years.
Actually the head building was "refurbished" years ago already and they didn't invest too much there.

I guess we could come up with reconstruction plans after the Neumarkt projects are all finished, in about 5 years from now.

That's how the building looks like today, where the Neustadt City Hall used to stand:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...en_dresden.jpg

Old April 10th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #3574
keepthepast

Quote:
Actually the head building was "refurbished" years ago already and they didn't invest too much there.

I guess we could come up with reconstruction plans after the Neumarkt projects are all finished, in about 5 years from now.

That's how the building looks like today, where the Neustadt City Hall used to stand:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...en_dresden.jpg
Yes, let's hope. The nearest corner section of the building in the photo is what the entire section looked like. The outer-facade glass panels we see to the right were installed last year which I was told was the prototype look for the many of the structures they will not tear down. Bummer, I can't decide which is worse--the 50s look or the fix.
Old April 10th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #3575
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeware7 View Post
Part of the (non existant ) problem is that all we can see are black & white or photochrom pictures of old Dresden. They show up details much more than modern colour photos do.
Good point. The B/W and sepia toned photos not only show more detail, but they also reduce or eliminate the contrasts and otherwise unattractive realities of subjects.
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #3576
Kampflamm
Idai naru kōgan

Source: http://www.bausituation-dresden.com/

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #3577
Kampflamm
Idai naru kōgan

Source: Stadtbild Deutschland / bilderbuch

TheReconstructer, Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #3578
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 121

How exciting! There's just not a thing wrong with this.

TheReconstructer liked this post
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #3579
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1098

We just have to wait and see how the roofline ends up being.

erbse, Highcliff liked this post
JohnnyMass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #3580
erbse
Alpha Bull

I just hope they won't f*ck up the mansarde roof as it looked like in the renderings... But I'm not too pessimistic here.

Looks great so far! They don't have to built 'em all with bricks.

TheReconstructer, Highcliff liked this post

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen