daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

DN Archives Found urban images from all around the world not taken by you

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #44921
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 214

Sponsored Links

Old April 28th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #44922
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 124

Earth cam should installed a camera in the beacon what a great view that would be !to bad if they it probably would not work half the time freaking earth came.
Old April 28th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #44923
Hudson11
"John Boehner"

Likes (Received): 4592

I just hope earthcam fixes their statue of liberty torch cam skyline view soon, that had one of the best views of the WTC

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/...cam=liberty_hd

nycaddict, LexISguy liked this post
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #44924
Zaanstad_1987
Walking Dutchman

Likes (Received): 23

One of the cranes is needed to complete the cladding behind the outside-elavator I believe?
Zaanstad_1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #44925
CCs77

Likes (Received): 1370

You can see 1WTC in the background, along with the rest of the Manhattan skyline (and together with the Brooklyn's and a blurry Jersey City skyline) . Although what I found really more appealing in these pictures is that beautiful neighborhood in Brooklyn. With all this rowhouses, the leafy streets, those big green spaces in the center of the blocks, plus the addition of some midrise buildings and churches that add variety to the urban landscape, making a neighborhood that seems pretty quiet yet very urban, just gorgeous!!!!

image hosted on flickr

R1013232 por psweeting, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Skyline por psweeting, en Flickr

Last edited by CCs77; April 29th, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #44926
SevenStringShred
Apex Predator

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
Many years ago, the Conan O'Brien Show visited Chicago for a week and had a gag character called "The Sears Tower Dressed in Sears Clothing". Going with that theme, WTC 1 would be dressed in green plaid shorts with a blue striped shirt, wearing a refinery cracking tower as a hat. It's a little bit sad that this supposed new national icon has been value engineered down to such a disgraceful level.

And it doesn't end there unfortunately. WTC 4 is the most boring near-supertall ever constructed. WTC 3 has already been stripped of much of its ornamental cross bracing. I shudder to think what they're going to do to WTC 2 when it's completed in a decade or two. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up with a flat roof.

Where did the planners elect to spend the money? On a two billion dollar doondoggle of a "memorial" - two black pits that they will now have to charge visitors to see because it's far too expensive to maintain. No expense spared there. Instead, an ugly cracking tower on the roof of WTC 1 for lack of a few million dollars.

Looking past the excitement of finally seeing this thing completed after the most glacial construction pace since North Korea's Hotel of Doom, I have little doubt it will eventually be viewed with the same level of appreciation the original Twin Towers were given before 9/11. That is, not very much.

NYC had a chance (some would even claim a national obligation) to do something spectacular at the WTC site. Sorry, I can only describe my feelings watching this 12-year ordeal limp to a close as not one of pride or satisfaction, but rather one of mild embarrassment.

But I guess this is the "new normal" for America today. Want innovation and forward thinking? Go to China. Here, we throw our borrowed money into black holes.
Pretty close to how I feel on the subject.

It's hilarious to me how many people on this site get their feathers ruffled whenever anyone has the audacity to exhibit anything less than fawning worship over this building. It's a discussion forum. If you're gonna get butthurt every time someone has an opposing viewpoint, maybe this site isn't for you.

This is arguably the most important building in this country's history, for many obvious reasons. You'd think that out of the BILLIONS of structures ever built in the US, this would be the one time in history where they would make sure that:

1) The perfect design would be chosen
2) There would be sufficient funding to build the approved design
3) The construction would be fast and efficient

Failfailfail.

Even if you think #1 actually happened, #2 and #3 definitely didn't. I was as excited as anyone about this project when it started, but the all the budget cutbacks and comically slow progress has soured me on this whole situation. For those people who stubbornly maintain unwavering support for this thing no matter how far the train comes off the tracks, good for you, but some of us would rather call a duck a duck and acknowledge how ridiculous it is that they can't even rebuild the WTC as originally planned, and are taking a decade and a half to build a far inferior version. Says a lot about our country if we can't even get THIS right.

DFDalton, sundrop74, Christi69, Msradell liked this post
SevenStringShred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #44927
nycaddict

^those are some of the best pictures iv ever seen on this thread! i honestly cant think of another place id rather spend the rest of my life
nycaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #44928
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 64

The truth about the cracking tower and the plaid pants....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenStringShred View Post
Pretty close to how I feel on the subject.

It's hilarious to me how many people on this site get their feathers ruffled whenever anyone has the audacity to exhibit anything less than fawning worship over this building. It's a discussion forum. If you're gonna get butthurt every time someone has an opposing viewpoint, maybe this site isn't for you.

This is arguably the most important building in this country's history, for many obvious reasons. You'd think that out of the BILLIONS of structures ever built in the US, this would be the one time in history where they would make sure that:

1) The perfect design would be chosen
2) There would be sufficient funding to build the approved design
3) The construction would be fast and efficient

Failfailfail.

Even if you think #1 actually happened, #2 and #3 definitely didn't. I was as excited as anyone about this project when it started, but the all the budget cutbacks and comically slow progress has soured me on this whole situation. For those people who stubbornly maintain unwavering support for this thing no matter how far the train comes off the tracks, good for you, but some of us would rather call a duck a duck and acknowledge how ridiculous it is that they can't even rebuild the WTC as originally planned, and are taking a decade and a half to build a far inferior version. Says a lot about our country if we can't even get THIS right.

Frankly, I didn't know the details of the design compromises at WTC1 until just now, having read this in an article from Esquire Magazine, which a contributor at skyscraperpage found:

Quote:
As the estimate for completing the tower rose past $3 billion, the PA struck a deal in 2010 with a city real estate developer, the Durst Organization, to help finish, manage, and lease the tower: For $100 million, Durst received a 10 percent equity interest in the building, plus a $15 million management contract that gave Durst 75 percent of any monies saved by cutting construction costs up to $12 million, and a mere 50 percent of every penny cut thereafter.

To nobody's surprise and David Childs's despair, Durst found costs to cut, particularly at the top and bottom of the tower. The prismatic glass chosen to wrap the base of the building was replaced with a cheaper version, requiring that the corners of the tower's first two hundred feet be squared off after those corners had already been tapered to meet the thousand-foot isosceles triangles of the curtain wall. Then Durst took its meat-ax to the tower's 408-foot spire: By simply scrapping the radome — a sculpted shell of fiberglass and steel designed to sheathe the antennae and maintenance platforms atop the building — shazam! $20 million saved.

Childs learned from a Durst press report that the radome had been whacked, and issued a statement expressing his disappointment and his hope that SOM and the Port could find an alternate design. Durst claimed its radome decision was strictly about maintenance cost and safety, not money. Patrick Foye, current PA executive director, agreed, adding, "What was designed was impractical, unworkable, and quite frankly dangerous."

Considering that SOM has somehow managed to build and create maintenance plans for skyscrapers in many places for many years; and considering that Douglas Durst himself paid to place full-page ads in New York City newspapers in 2007, urging the new governor, Eliot Spitzer, to murder the tower; and considering that without the radome, what was a spire may be discounted as an antenna mast by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat — the arbiter of building heights — which would mean that the Freedom Tower won't officially stand 1,776 feet tall: Regarding all this, David Childs is mum. Circumspect. Or plain worn-out.
"The simple, pure form — I'm proud of that," he says, and falls silent.
Here's a link to the full story: http://www.esquire.com/features/worl...ebuilding-0912

So let me get this straight. According to this article the Port Authority is paying to this fellow Durst an outrageous 75% of the cost savings of eliminating the radome and 50% of the cost savings of switching the original prismatic glass design to the "plaid pants". So the PA is paying well more than half what it would have cost to maintain the original design to get nothing in return.

To put this in everyday terms, suppose you wanted to buy a car for $20,000, but found that it wouldn't fit into your budget. You hire a consultant to cut your costs. You make an agreement to pay him $15,000 (75% of the cost of the car) and get no car in return. But according to the PA's logic, you've "saved" $5000. My head is going to explode.

I knew all along these compromises had nothing to do with "safety" and "practicality". But I didn't know it was THIS BAD. There is no way the CTBUH should reward this blatant and sleazy political corruption by calling this cracking tower a "spire".

sundrop74, Msradell liked this post

Last edited by DFDalton; April 29th, 2013 at 01:30 AM.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #44929
yankee fan for life

[QUOTE=SevenStringShred;102752337]Pretty close to how I feel on the subject.

People like you should be grateful that anything is built there at all and stop your complaining , don't know about you, but i am grateful for these projects anything is better than a hole in the ground.
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #44930
LexISguy

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I just hope earthcam fixes their statue of liberty torch cam skyline view soon, that had one of the best views of the WTC

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/...cam=liberty_hd
I agree any idea it might be up again?
LexISguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #44931
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexISguy View Post
I agree any idea it might be up again?
The statue of liberty re-opens July 4, 2013 so maybe thats when the cams will be back up aswell.

nycaddict liked this post
Chibears85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #44932
rolandkorg
Cúcuta una postal

Likes (Received): 193

Best skyscraper !!!
rolandkorg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #44933
charger1966

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1966 View Post
OK I posted this a while back and didn't get any answer to it. So here it is again, What ever happened to the corner stone that was placed at the foundation and then removed? There hasn't been any mention of this at all since they removed it so many years ago. Anyone have the answer? Thanks, Lance
OK, NOBODY can answer this? It's a simple question. There has to be someone out there with the knowledge of where this corner stone is. Is it still out on Long Island where it was mined? Last report I read back in 2004 said it went back to the quarry.
Is it still there????????
???????
charger1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #44934
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 1993

Tomorrow is, hopefully, going to be an historical day for this building.

Photstorember

image hosted on flickr

Jay Fine

image hosted on flickr

OnePointWest liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #44935
OnePointWest

Likes (Received): 1046

^Yes.

By pmarella

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmarell...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

sergiomazzi, xXFallenXx, Kanto liked this post
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 02:04 AM   #44936
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1966 View Post
OK, NOBODY can answer this? It's a simple question. There has to be someone out there with the knowledge of where this corner stone is. Is it still out on Long Island where it was mined? Last report I read back in 2004 said it went back to the quarry.
Is it still there????????
???????
Are you talking about this? Sorry, I have no idea where it is now.

iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #44937
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 657

I am recording all WTC earthcam webcams all of today and all of tomorrow. So we will be able to see recorded footage of the last spire rising!
Chibears85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 02:57 AM   #44938
liny631

Likes (Received): 60

Anyone know how far you should CLEARLY see the beacon on the WTC at night with the naked eye? I hope it's not some weak 15-25 mile ESB light. Hopefully it can be clearly seen up to 50 miles on a clear night. And also does anyone know if they are still planning on having the light streak out sideways to make it more obvious, or is it just a glowing ball and that's it?
liny631 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #44939
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 1890

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
You can see 1WTC in the background, along with the rest of the Manhattan skyline (and together with the Brooklyn's and a blurry Jersey City skyline) . Although what I found really more appealing in these pictures is that beautiful neighborhood in Brooklyn. With all this rowhouses, the leafy streets, those big green spaces in the center of the blocks, plus the addition of some midrise buildings and churches that add variety to the urban landscape, making a neighborhood that seems pretty quiet yet very urban, just gorgeous!!!!

image hosted on flickr

R1013232 por psweeting, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Skyline por psweeting, en Flickr
Great post CCs77!
Last time Queens and now Brooklyn. I had just wondered it a little while how "Barring-Manhattan" would NYC be.
I just love this green neighbourhood of Brooklyn.
Many Many Likes!!!
It begins as a square, twists into an octagon, and ends as a square again. Genius.

CCs77 liked this post
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #44940
Aaronaa4
ShanghaiPro

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibears85 View Post
I am recording all WTC earthcam webcams all of today and all of tomorrow. So we will be able to see recorded footage of the last spire rising!
Cool, that would be amazing!!!
Aaronaa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center