daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions

General Developments and Discussions » Bridges | Cycling | Maritime

Old February 12th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #621
vraem
BANNED

Location: in Latin America, The other East Europe in the world
Likes (Received): 131

Japan

cars rare

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
vraem no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 21st, 2013, 05:06 PM   #622
Vienna21

Likes (Received): 21

Nice cars, also the Copen, but it is not rare in Japan.
Vienna21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 05:08 PM   #623
Vienna21

Likes (Received): 21

De Lorean in Vienna seen today:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Vienna21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:01 PM   #624
dubart
HAL9001

Likes (Received): 99

Yesterday in Zagreb, Croatia

dubart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:57 PM   #625
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 71

From where the license plate of the limousine?
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:01 PM   #626
dubart
HAL9001

US, but couldn't see what state from where I was standing.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:21 PM   #627
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubart View Post
US, but couldn't see what state from where I was standing.
Is there specific Croatian laws or guidelines with regards to those US-registered vehicles in Croatian territory?
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:43 PM   #628
dubart
HAL9001

I don't think so. And it's not uncommon to see a US registered car here, even those having only rear plates.
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #629
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 102

kind of funny to go through this thread and see cars such as the H2 and Challenger on here, while I see one almost every day here. I do remember seeing an f-250 in the netherlands once, that was an odd sight. similarly someone near me owns some old Japanese looking subaru van that is tiny, way too small to be of NA production.
Innsertnamehere está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #630
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 155

image hosted on flickr

The Bentley Continental may be common in Beverly-Hills or Monte Carlo but not where I live.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #631
sandro29

Likes (Received): 0

o volvo é bem diferente do que a gente está acostumado a ver!!!
sandro29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #632
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandro29 View Post
o volvo é bem diferente do que a gente está acostumado a ver!!!
Volvo was never popular in countries speaking latin languages. Probably because of cultural differences. Volvo was considered to have a boxy design. Latin people prefer smoother and sweepier features.

Volvo always put safety and technical innovations ahead of outer look and design, but nowadays with the new V60 the look of the car is modern and not so square anymore.

On the other hand anglosaxon/germanic buyers have had a hard time with latin cars like alfa-romeo, fiat or citroen. They were considered to be odd, unpractical and incommodious.

Especially the North American market has rejected Fiat, Renault & Citroen, they simply didn't meet the demands of the customers but Volvo managed to take a substantial share of that market especially with the 740/760 which almost looked like it originated from Detroit not Göteborg.

After the fall of the iron curtain Volvo now is popular in Russia, they prefer SUVs as XC90, heavy duty cars for their poor roads. Latin cars do not succed well there. but the new markets would also be found for them like the old communist regimes in central europe. Small affordable cars suitable for narrow curvy roads. Renault found their partner within the romanian Dacia which now is coming out strongly on purchase poor markets where Volvo still is way too expensive. Dacia is heavily criticized in Sweden, auto-magazines warn about their weak safety and old technic, but in some countries you can't afford the latest safety feataures, so Dacia is a great option. Even I would buy the new Dacia Lodgy or the Duster. You get a lot of car for the buck !

Last edited by NordikNerd; April 28th, 2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old April 28th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #633
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post

On the other hand anglosaxon/germanic buyers have had a hard time with latin cars like alfa-romeo, fiat or citroen. They were considered to be odd, unpractical and incommodious.
I don't think it's this the motivation, rather the large possibility to get national cars of good quality for same or better price. Not less important, we can't say in past there was a strong nationalist sentiment in Europe, so people prefere to buy national things.

Quote:
After the fall of the iron curtain Volvo now is popular in Russia, they prefer SUVs as XC90, heavy duty cars for their poor roads. Latin cars do not succed well there. but the new markets would also be found for them like the old communist regimes in central europe. Small affordable cars suitable for narrow curvy roads. Renault found their partner within the romanian Dacia which now is coming out strongly on purchase poor markets where Volvo still is way too expensive.
About this I disagree the second part. Latin cars ruled the market in the eastern block for half century. Call them Lada, Zastava, Dacia or FSO/FSM nevermind cause this is only the badge: design, technology and licenses were Fiat (AutoVAZ-Lada, Zastava, FSO/FSM and Steyr-Puch in Austria), or Renault (the partnership with Dacia started in the '60s). These companies have already large part even in the "new markets": Fiat and Renault in South America have strong presence since a lot of years. French cars are popular in almost all Africa and Peugeot rules the market in Iran. Just for say, even in so hard market like North Korea the only car brand, Pyeonghwa Motors, produce cars under license Fiat. If then we watch the technology, we can open some bonnets and discover that Fiat engine's is one of the most used by other brands. Ford Ka, Tata, Suzuki, Opel, Saab, Cadillac have Fiat multijet engines (without to count brands in Fiat Group like Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, etc...).
The problem of Fiat is that has been heavily stereotyped for his product as they are not of quality due some bad projects of the past (one of the most famous is Fiat Duna, despite in South America had discrete success) and some internal problems with labor unions and politic issues. Also the fact that licensed in Eastern Block countries didn't help in the past, since for allied was like to help the enemy in their technologies. And when you have a stereotype is difficult to clean the reputation (people know this well). For to make an example Toyota in the last years had really a lot of problems with his cars, some prople died cause of technical failures and millions cars recalled. Despite this, Toyota is still seen as one of the best brand same with german cars that, in my opinion, their quality is overestimated and often people choose them for status symbol (like Mercedes in Albania).
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #634
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post

About this I disagree the second part. Latin cars ruled the market in the eastern block for half century. Call them Lada, Zastava, Dacia or FSO/FSM nevermind cause this is only the badge: design, technology and licenses were Fiat (AutoVAZ-Lada, Zastava, FSO/FSM and Steyr-Puch in Austria), or Renault (the partnership with Dacia started in the '60s). These companies have already large part even in the "new markets": .
VAZ was indeed a rebadged Fiat from the beginning, it was a cheap start for motorists in a regime where you had to stand in line for 10 years to buy a car if you even had the money. But this small car was choosen because of the low cost not because it was suitable for the driving conditions. Also Italy had a strong communist party at that time which also was important to close this deal.

Now most smaller cars are phased out for medium sized cars and SUVs. Russia is a country of wide avenues and long straight roads often with potholes. Having that in mind buyers tend to choose Jeeps, SUVs and 4 wheel drive vehicles instead.

Central Eastern Europe has different driving conditions, city centres are narrower, roads curvier, distances not that long so the smaller cars have a bigger share of that market.

One question I have is why the GDR cars never were common in the USSR.
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #635
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
VAZ was indeed a rebadged Fiat from the beginning, it was a cheap start for motorists in a regime where you had to stand in line for 10 years to buy a car if you even had the money. But this small car was choosen because of the low cost not because it was suitable for the driving conditions. Also Italy had a strong communist party at that time which also was important to close this deal.
This is true in part. If in one hand certainly it was a cheaper than many other cars to built and in the case of USSR, Fiat cared to build the plant in Togliatti and provided all assembly lines, in the other hand it was very reliable car (considerable were the four disc brakes, pretty rare on other cars of same size). In Italy it was a car for middle-class (Fiat 500, Fiat 600 and Fiat 850 were cars for "the people") and won the prize "Car of the Year" in 1967. So we can say that it was the best car in relation of quality/price and only the USSR produced over 15.000.000 units. It became a world car (like Volkswagen Typ 1 Käfer/Beetle or Toyota Corolla) being produced worldwide (the different with them was that in almost every country changed the badge). In Spain was Seat 124, in Turkey was 124 Murat, in India was Premier 118NE and so on...it was produced also in Bulgaria, South Korea, Costa Rica, Indonesia, Ireland, Morocco, Pakistan ,Perù, Zambia, South Africa, Venezuela, Singapore, Uruguay and Portugal.

Quote:
Now most smaller cars are phased out for medium sized cars and SUVs. Russia is a country of wide avenues and long straight roads often with potholes. Having that in mind buyers tend to choose Jeeps, SUVs and 4 wheel drive vehicles instead
Indeed, time are changed and now especially in these recent open markets people want something new and different of what they were accustomed to see. We have to say anyway that a large part of those middle-class cars, SUVs and 4x4 are used cars imported from the west, with over 200.000 Km (you can often discover them by the plate frame, that most of time is the original)

Quote:
One question I have is why the GDR cars never were common in the USSR.
Probabily cause in USSR the marked was ruled by russian cars as Lada, GAZ or ZAZ, and the production in GDR could barely provide the local market and some foreign countries like Hungary.
In Italy in those years there were some brave dealer who tried to commercialize estern bloc cars. There were really cheap (if a Fiat 500 was already cheap, those were cheaper than it). They imported ZAZ 968 and Skoda 110 but with bad results
Old May 10th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #636
golosa

Likes (Received): 13

Found this one today:
Renault Avantime

This may be common in France, but it's very rare in Russia and especially in Tyumen. I've never thought to see one of them here.
golosa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #637
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by golosa View Post
Found this one today:
Renault Avantime

This may be common in France, but it's very rare in Russia and especially in Tyumen. I've never thought to see one of them here.
The Avantime was never marketed in Sweden, not the Vel Satis either. These cars along with the Citroen C6 and other top of the line french cars are only popular in France if even there.

If you want to spend big money on a car you will better buy a MB or a BMW. Both Renault and Citroen are brands that quickly lose value as second hand cars.

The C6 was sold here but it's rare and a car you raise eyebrows for. I think it scares away buyers because it has a odd design and a very complicated construction.

Actually I saw a Vel Satis today.

Vel Satis in Mantorp, Sweden

Last edited by NordikNerd; May 11th, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #638
euromedic

Likes (Received): 1

A rare sight in the Houston Texas area. And I am lucky to own the one on the right. 1972 240 on left, 1972 220D on right.

Galro liked this post
euromedic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #639
Сталин
Marshal of SkyscraperCity

Likes (Received): 511

I'm sure I saw this in my previous life. I'm sure they are "quite" rare today.

Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #640
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromedic View Post
A rare sight in the Houston Texas area. And I am lucky to own the one on the right. 1972 240 on left, 1972 220D on right.
Great car, very common when I grew up. Not ultra rare today either. I always liked the US-version headlights of MB. They look more exclusive than the original ones. Also Volvo 240 US double headlights were considered more upscale and some entusiasts imported these to put on their cars to add that luxurious apperance.

Tags
cars