daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Under Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #421
will101

Likes (Received): 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoLegs View Post
How can you tell the quality of the sightlines from conceptual drawings?
It's not that hard to tell the distance from the field and the direction the seats would be facing. Unless you want to get picky, and claim that we can tell nothing without finished architectural drawings.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 4th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #422
EPA001

Likes (Received): 1544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola10 View Post
agree stadium could be anything
Indeed. It is way too early to say anything conclusive at this point in time. It will be exciting to watch the developments though.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #423
Raggydoo
Resident Guroo

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post
I obviously saw those, but they look more like signage boards than video boards, but either way I think the interior of the other design blows this one away
Raggydoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #424
Benn

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Just more and more reason to just stick with this:

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn1.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQc94E-A1BtEPB7DuX84BYtA2l_pQnWp_0xMxnF89z2VDUzWTSK[/IMG]

I am actually kind of taken by the first one, but when one considers the expenditure (well north of a billion for that sort of thing) and age of the Georgia Dome, the whole process seems pretty ridiculous. Especially with that renovation sitting on the shelf.
Benn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #425
IHaveNoLegs
No Fat Chicks

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
It's not that hard to tell the distance from the field and the direction the seats would be facing. Unless you want to get picky, and claim that we can tell nothing without finished architectural drawings.
I'd be more inclined to look at these before judging the sightlines
Canterbury Dragons - We have the CLAP
Gotta get money - for the things I want to buy
IHaveNoLegs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #426
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 0

I like the first one.
It looks futuristic and amazing.

What are the next steps.
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #427
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 3688

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
I like the first one.
It looks futuristic and amazing.

What are the next steps.
Stadium design timeline:

More info can be found in the pdf file below:

http://www.gwcc.com/about/stadium/re...0architect.pdf

The south site is the preferred option, but that depends on the two churches agreeing to move. August 1 is the deadline set to resolve the issue regarding the location of the new stadium:

Quote:
State officials plan to purchase the necessary property by August 1. If they haven't done so, then the stadium plan is expected to shift to the more spacious north site. Mayor Kasim Reed has said that the stadium will not be built on the south site without the full cooperation of the two churches.
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #428
BenAffleck

Likes (Received): 27

I like the first concept. Looks like a birds nest, quite fitting for Falcons.
BenAffleck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #429
JJG

Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenAffleck View Post
I like the first concept. Looks like a birds nest, quite fitting for Falcons.
It is fitting and a 'nest' was the first thing that came to mind.

.... still doesn't mean it should be built, though.
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #430
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 0

What are differences between conceptual design, schematic design and design development ?

I hope they won't scrap completely the first design. The second is so sober.
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #431
Benn

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
What are differences between conceptual design, schematic design and design development ?

A big part of it is the fee structure of an architecture firm, they will typically bill a certain percentage of their fee at each stage in the process. This is to make sure the firm gets paid for the work the have done, even if the project gets stopped, or falls through for some reason.

Conceptual design tends to be very loose work, big picture ideas, where budget and other purely practical concerns are on the backburner. It's really about figuring out what is the ideal scheme for a project. This is usually like 5% of the design fee. This is where the Falcons project is right now, evaluating purely conceptual schemes.

Schematic design has some practicality to it from the start (and a lot of offices do not have specific "conceptual design" phase, they will start with schematic day one, especially in the big corporate firms) and will typically start from a single scheme, not evaluating a few. Schematic would be more in the 10-15% range.

Design development is where the rubber meets the road so to speak, things get fleshed out, brought up to code, materials are selected etc. Some element in a flashy design may get cut through this process. DD is often 25-35% of the fee.

then on a large project like an NFL stadium the general contractor will price every thing and go through the most soul-crushing part of the process; "Value Engineering", which is where cool things get stripped out of design.

After which construction documents are drawn up so they can actually get shovels in the ground. This may be 40-50% of the fee.

After which point there will be some construction oversight, change orders etc for which the last 10-15% gets billed as the building is going up.
Benn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #432
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 605

Quote:
Building on Benn's response:

Conceptual design
Just imagery. Typically presented to client to spur conversation and thoughts on functionality. These are often done with only minimal input from client and may feature design ideas not created for that site but simply on-hold in the firm's office. "Here's a venue similar in size to what you're looking for placed onto your site. What do you think now realizing this in context?"

Schematic design
Images with greater sense of functional and structural concerns. Form begins to take shape in response to preliminary critique, and architects begin tailoring the project to the specific site details and constraints. "Okay, we listened to your comments and modified the preferred concept to match all of your criteria. This is the result."

Design development
Actual blueprints. Takes the approved form and begins formal design of structure. "Okay, here's the first draft of the final product and a set of blueprints for the contractor. Let's see if anything is left in need of modification."

Quote:
At this point it may yet look like something completely different. Those images were merely representational, to get the Falcons thinking about the design.
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #433
blacktrojan3921
Yes, that is my face~

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
I can't believe they're demolishing a structure that is barely two decades old. Its so ridiculously wasteful.
Indianapolis Colts: RCA Dome, 1984-2007 before moving to Lucas Oil Stadium.

New York Giants and Jets: Giants Stadium, 1984-2010 before moving to Metlife Stadium.

Seattle Seahawks: Kingdome, 1976-1999 before playing 2 seasons at Husky Stadium till construction of CenturyLink Field was done in 2002.

Detroit Lions: Pontiac Silverdome, 1975-2001 before moving to Ford Field.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Tampa Stadium, 1976-1997 before moving to Raymond Jones Stadium.
blacktrojan3921 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #434
Lumbergo

Likes (Received): 240

at least Seattle, Detroit, and Tampa got over 2 decades of use.

the thing is,

the King Dome was a piece of crap and deserved to be replaced.
The Silver dome, while not bad - was a bare bones stadium though it still got plenty of use.
Tampa Stadium was more of a college stadium that the NFL also played in
the RCA dome was also a piece of crap that deserved to replaced.
and a lot of people were against Giants stadium being replaced believe it or not as it was a good stadium.
same with the Georgia Dome - it's a good stadium that's not past it prime.

it's like replacing your family dog with a puppy because you're current middle age pet needs some surgery that might set you back a some $$$. an absolute waste.

JJG liked this post

Last edited by Lumbergo; May 13th, 2013 at 04:46 PM.
Lumbergo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #435
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergo View Post
it's like replacing your family dog with a puppy because you're current middle age pet needs some surgery that might set you back a some $$$. an absolute waste.
How old is your car? Do you plan on fixing it over and over and driving that till it dies some 20 years from now? How about your phone or computer? Ever traded up for something more powerful and dynamic?

This isn't a dog or wife or sacred cathedral. It's a place with utilitarian purpose and the owners and occupants feel they can do better making this change. Disagree all you want but don't let emotion paint this as something so black and white, right or wrong.
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #436
vitaming
with a capital G

Likes (Received): 12

The people stating the GA Dome is a top class facility must not have visited recently. It's a sub-par NFL stadium by today's standards. And there's absolutely no practical reason for a fixed roof in Atlanta.
vitaming no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #437
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Indianapolis Colts: RCA Dome, 1984-2007 before moving to Lucas Oil Stadium.

New York Giants and Jets: Giants Stadium, 1984-2010 before moving to Metlife Stadium.

Seattle Seahawks: Kingdome, 1976-1999 before playing 2 seasons at Husky Stadium till construction of CenturyLink Field was done in 2002.

Detroit Lions: Pontiac Silverdome, 1975-2001 before moving to Ford Field.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Tampa Stadium, 1976-1997 before moving to Raymond Jones Stadium.
It's wasteful because the Georgia Dome is STILL a pretty good, somewhat up to day stadium.

Those that you listed weren't.
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #438
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaming View Post
The people stating the GA Dome is a top class facility must not have visited recently. It's a sub-par NFL stadium by today's standards. And there's absolutely no practical reason for a fixed roof in Atlanta.
You say that, but....

There's also the use of OTHER events, like the Final Four.
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #439
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 107

strange that we have some strange emotional attachment to the on the way out generation of stadiums. This round is lasting about the same amount of time as the previous generation. Its just weird because its within our lifetimes. I always think back to attending a Texas Rangers game in the early 90s and seeing the Ballpark in Arlington construction and thinking, wow, its about time we updated this old stadium not realizing it had just opened in that form a little over 20 years previous to that date. Its nothing new. Only the truly special, visionary stadiums get to last more than 25-30 years. Apparently the Metrodome, King Dome and Georgia Dome aren't part of that group, and won't be the last, just like the previous generation. Just imagine the Falcons playing in Fulton County Stadium today.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #440
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

To be fair the sentiment isn't that unfounded, but in this case the issue with most folks is that by comparison to those other venues the Ga Dome hardly feels outdated. Most of it I attribute to the public perception of the interior bowl itself, which looks highly functional, clean, modern and obviously has spaces for premium seating. The idea that it's being replaced mostly due to the roof and stuff that lies behind the scenes makes it tougher for everyone to accept. Especially when it has been so successful in hosting so many other special events of late: Final Four, Chik-Fil-A Bowl, SEC championship, etc.

I just got a smart phone last October. Nothing wrong with my previous phone. Took calls, shared texts, could check scores if need be, and I loved how compact it was, but I traded up so I could get work emails and documents on the latest technology. Same analogy works here, but it's harder for people to see in this case.

Tags
american football, united states