daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Toronto > Urban Issues

Old May 11th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #4261
kwoldtimer

Likes (Received): 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticMcGoo View Post
Raid the pension funds!!!
Cut public servants salaries and pension benefits. That's what needs to come if money is to be found for priorities. They've timidly tested the waters with the teachers but vastly more must be done.
kwoldtimer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 12th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #4262
Mollywood

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I'm shocked and disappointed with the City Council today. Talk about having no vision. I guess they have been worn down after the tenure of two dimwitted Luddites "leading" the way. Leading into the dark ages.
Yep, I have to agree with you there, Taller. For Rob Ford to say it's Toronto's best day (or some kind of BS like that) is pretty sad. We have a mayor who is gleeful to see our transit system deteriorate and to do nothing. And that's what he considers great? He refuses to invest any money in Toronto and seems to get his jollies by being obstructionist to anything that makes this city a decent place to live.

Sure, let's keep doing nothing to improve public transit or help relieve traffic gridlock and we will see where that gets us in 20 years. (while our population continues to grow and our downtown becomes very dense)

Is this whole city INSANE? Sometimes I wonder.

How about we continue to do nothing about the Gardiner and wait to see who is the first person to die, when that thing comes crashing down in the near future. Anybody wanna play Chicken? Yes, let's keep taxes low and Toronto crumbling. (great solution guys) It shows how much people really love this city.

Ford = Worst mayor ever!
Mollywood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:59 AM   #4263
JustinB

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollywood

Yep, I have to agree with you there, Taller. For Rob Ford to say it's Toronto's best day (or some kind of BS like that) is pretty sad. We have a mayor who is gleeful to see our transit system deteriorate and to do nothing. And that's what he considers great? He refuses to invest any money in Toronto and seems to get his jollies by being obstructionist to anything that makes this city a decent place to live.

Sure, let's keep doing nothing to improve public transit or help relieve traffic gridlock and we will see where that gets us in 20 years. (while our population continues to grow and our downtown becomes very dense)

How about we continue to do nothing about the Gardiner and wait to see who is the first person to die, when that thing comes crashing down in the near future. Anybody wanna play Chicken? Yes, let's keep taxes low and Toronto crumbling. (great solution guys) It shows how much people really love this city.

Ford = Worst mayor ever!
Josh Colle = worst councillor ever. It was his motion for councillors to vote against revenue tools that really pissed me off. Glen de bearmaeker needs to be turfed from office next election too. He's shown himself to be a cowardly councillor looking for his political hide. His pathetic push for a Scarborough subway that will serve less of Scarborough than the LRT was an excuse to for other councillors to push their pet projects.
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #4264
LEAFS FANATIC

Likes (Received): 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollywood View Post

Ford = Worst mayor ever!

Ford this. Ford that. Wahh! Wahhh!!!! Wahhhhh!!!

I don't know if it is because you simply don't listen to, or read, the news or if, perhaps, your hate for Ford is so strong you let it block your perception of the facts, BUT, in case you missed it councilors FOR and AGAINST Ford voted in support of Ford in this.

Last edited by LEAFS FANATIC; May 12th, 2013 at 07:24 AM.
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:16 AM   #4265
Epi

Likes (Received): 31

Not to completely change the topic, but since the mayor hates bikes, I thought it would be interesting to post this article:

NYC Study Finds Protected Bicycle Lanes Boost Local Business

http://www.americabikes.org/nyc_stud...local_business

Quote:
Posted by Mary Lauran Hall on November 01, 2012 ∑ Flag

The road to recovery is in sight, and it has a bike lane.

The typical city street is a busy place. People riding bikes, walking, driving cars, and operating buses all have somewhere to to go and want to get there safely — and quickly.

But while we normally think of streets as pipelines for people and goods, public streets are about more than just moving from point A to point B. They're also corridors for public life. Streets are places where locals discover new hole-in-the-wall stores and restaurants, where window shoppers duck into shops to peruse, and where children convince their parents to stop — just for ONE second — to buy a cup of hot chocolate.

In other words, streets can also grow local economies.

A new study from the New York Department of Transportation shows that streets that safely accommodate bicycle and pedestrian travel are especially good at boosting small businesses, even in a recession.

NYC DOT found that protected bikeways had a significant positive impact on local business strength. After the construction of a protected bicycle lane on 9th Avenue, local businesses saw a 49% increase in retail sales. In comparison, local businesses throughout Manhattan only saw a 3% increase in retail sales.
Epi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #4266
Гроф
Grof

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Cut public servants salaries and pension benefits. That's what needs to come if money is to be found for priorities. They've timidly tested the waters with the teachers but vastly more must be done.
I wrote a post about the tax stuff before but it disappeared into the ether and I'm not going to try it again. But this I must address.

At this point, working in the private sector for any professional job (IT, law, economics, etc. etc.) nets you more money than the equivalent government job. Teaching is pretty much the only major exception, so that's why it's being targeted*. What you're trading off with the government job is generally lower earnings (sometimes drastically so) for stability and benefits. So, my question here is obvious: if you make government jobs completely noncompetitive across the board with a private sector option, who's going to do it?

*Doctors are the other exception because they mostly charge their own fees but are reimbursed by the government; they are a major salary drain, but cutting those is just about impossible.
Гроф no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #4267
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Гроф View Post
I wrote a post about the tax stuff before but it disappeared into the ether and I'm not going to try it again.[/SIZE]
What do you mean disappeared?

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #4268
vid

Likes (Received): 892

Quote:
So, my question here is obvious: if you make government jobs completely noncompetitive across the board with a private sector option, who's going to do it?
People whose skills match their low salary.

Their errors will probably cost us more than giving a higher salary to a more skilled individual, but at least the HR line of the budget will look a wee bit smaller. Progress!!

We get what we pay for.

All those people complaining about government employees being paid too much: Would you want to lose 20% of your income because the people who pay you (shareholders in the company that employs you) don't want to spend so much on what you're doing? When taxpayers complain about civil servants "costing too much", it's not unlike a boss telling his employees that they're being paid too much. You have to have a very thick skin to work in the public sector.
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #4269
Mollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FANATIC View Post
Ford this. Ford that. Wahh! Wahhh!!!! Wahhhhh!!!

I don't know if it is because you simply don't listen to, or read, the news or if, perhaps, your hate for Ford is so strong you let it block your perception of the facts, BUT, in case you missed it councillors FOR and AGAINST Ford voted in support of Ford in this.
But councillors don't represent the whole city, ONLY the mayor does. (and only he was the one gloating. The councillors just held their heads in shame) Every editorial I've read, agreed this was shameful and self-serving for everyone involved.

Do you not realize the mayor is the only one on council who represent ALL of Toronto and not just his own ward. His job is to bring everyone together and keep things on track. (in other words, get s**t done) Councillors look out for their own self interests by voting the way they think their constituents want but since the mayor is supposed to represent the whole city, he is supposed to be doing what's best for all of us. A good mayor brings people together and stops selfish, self-serving councillors from turning council into a dysfunctional mess, which less face it, it's heading to now. And yes, Ford is to blame.

All Ford seems to be doing is dividing this city, pitting urban against suburban, transit users against drivers, right against left, subways against LRT. (as well as many other ways) Is this what's best for the city? Can anyone think of a time when this city felt more divided? I can't.

current, joethelion liked this post

Last edited by Mollywood; May 12th, 2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old May 13th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #4270
LEAFS FANATIC

Man, now you really are begging. Have you heard of the democratic process?

The mayor can desire topless women to be serving free beer on the streets 24/7 for the adults and unicorns and giant teddy-bears to be at the beck and call for every child in the city 24/7 but UNLESS council votes in favour, it ain't happening.

Ford didn't hold a gun to the head of councilors to force them to vote in his favour.
Old May 13th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #4271
JustinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FANATIC

The mayor can desire topless women to be serving free beer on the streets 24/7 for the adults and unicorns and giant teddy-bears to be at the beck and call for every child in the city 24/7 but UNLESS council votes in favour, it ain't happening.

Ford didn't hold a gun to the head of councilors to force them to vote in his favour.
A strong mayor can whip council into voting for topless women serving free beer on the streets. Using your silly example, if Miller was mayor, you would be enjoying free beer being served by topless chicks.

Rob ford is a weak and awful mayor. His only strength is the ability for city council to implode and screw things up. As I said before, Josh Colle = worst councillor ever.
Old May 13th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #4272
LEAFS FANATIC

But he is a die hard Leafs fan so I love him.

GO LEAFS GO!!! ONE MORE HOUR TO PUCK DROP!!!!!
Old May 13th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #4273
JustinB

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Old May 13th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #4274
vid

Likes (Received): 892

I hope the Leafs lose. This has gone on long enough, we need spring!
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #4275
kwoldtimer

Likes (Received): 377

[QUOTE=Гроф;103185239]I wrote a post about the tax stuff before but it disappeared into the ether and I'm not going to try it again. But this I must address.

Edit

Last edited by kwoldtimer; May 13th, 2013 at 02:28 AM. Reason: off topic
kwoldtimer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #4276
Epi

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
So, my question here is obvious: if you make government jobs completely noncompetitive across the board with a private sector option, who's going to do it?
Completely agreed.

The smartest, hardest working people go to where the money and power are. There are some people who will do something because they have a passion for it and are willing to take sacrifices, but if you go too far... well look what happened to the Catholic church and their priests.
Epi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #4277
Mollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FANATIC View Post

Begging? No, I'm just saying we have a useless, pathetic excuse for a mayor. The fact that you love and support someone of such low quality, says more about you then it does about Ford. If those are the low standards you have and ethics you respect and admire, well, I don't know what to say except I'm glad I don't share your values. If I believed most Torontonians were of your mind set, I'd be living in Montreal right now but I still have faith in Toronto.

Last edited by Mollywood; May 13th, 2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #4278
current

Likes (Received): 7

Rob Ford had a vision - Global News article:
Mayor Rob Fordís Motion For Wading Pool at Nathan Phillips Square Fails

By Staff, The Canadian Press
May 10, 2013 1:08 pm

TORONTO, Ontario Ė Mayor Rob Fordís vision of a wading pool in the square in front of Torontoís city hall has been sunk. Ford put forward a motion Friday asking staff to investigate the costs of converting the already renovated reflecting pool at Nathan Phillips Square into a splash pad or wading pool.

Ford said a similar pool outside Edmontonís city hall is very popular, but his motion failed on a 16-16 tie vote. Councillors who opposed Fordís motion said a revitalization project has already been designed for the square and didnít agree with changing plans that have been years in the making.

http://globalnews.ca/news/551804/may...-square-fails/
current no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #4279
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6167

He saw some silly big splash pad thing in Edmonton a summer or so back and was quite smitten by it.
Honestly I wonder how his mind works. Or if it works, more to the point.

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #4280
JustinB

The Nathan Philips square redevelopment actually includes "seasonal" water fountains for kids to play in.

It's astounding the mayor did not know of this.

http://www.toronto.ca/nps/revitaliza...evitalized.htm