daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Old May 8th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #5921
red_jasper
RedCaster

Likes (Received): 275

'Why I 3D printed an iPhone shoe'

Quote:
After around a decade of practice 3D-printing designers have become comfortable with the technique and are now playing with its possibilities like never before - especially as new materials become 3D-printable.

Many of these expert designers are drawn to an area around northern Belgium and the western parts of the Netherlands - including the so-called "ELAt", the Eindhoven-Leuven-Aachen triangle that markets itself as Europe's hi-tech hub.

3D printing companies like Freedom of Creation, Materialise and Shapeways are all based, or originated, in this area. They either create designs, or host communities of people who upload their creations - and they own vast numbers of the printers that will realise the finished items.

Representatives of these companies all congregated in London recently for the launch of a new magazine dedicated to the world of 3D printing, Print Shift. Created by design blog Dezeen, it mimics the concept of 3D printing, in that each individual copy of the magazine is only printed when a customer requests it, an experimental 'on demand' model being tested by UK publisher Blurb.
Read more and watch video report here

Ulpia-Serdica liked this post
red_jasper no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 10th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #5922
Cytokine

Likes (Received): 34

As long as a device can't do this -- it's not worth it to me.

Cytokine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #5923
kix111

Likes (Received): 2422

Samsung still better. Screen too small.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #5924
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 636

Wow.....you must seriously hate samsung if your replying to posts that aren't even about samsung with posts like that.

Arnorian liked this post
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #5925
Cytokine

New Sony phone can be submerged at a depth of 1.5 meters (previous models only offered immersion at 1 meter).

bozenBDJ liked this post
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #5926
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern37 View Post
Wow.....you must seriously hate samsung if your replying to posts that aren't even about samsung with posts like that.
Just stating the fact....
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #5927
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 3215

So did he!
I can cheat you blind.

Eastern37 liked this post
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #5928
AltinD
The Modecator

Facebook Home for Android is a flop .... the reason: The guys who designed and tested it, were all iPhone users, and had no clue how Android OS is in structure, or what Android users do
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 14th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #5929
Cytokine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Samsung still better. Screen too small.
The Panasonic Eluga does actually have a Samsung OLED display. It's one of the reasons why the Eluga is so slim (7.8 mm tapering to 3 mm on the edges) and light (103g), despite having a 4.3" display and being waterproof.
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #5930
Eastern37
Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Facebook Home for Android is a flop .... the reason: The guys who designed and tested it, were all iPhone users, and had no clue how Android OS is in structure, or what Android users do
Chat heads is great though! Totally changed the way I message now, I use messenger for both Fb and Text. The convenience of chat heads is amazing. It's already been copied by one of the main ROM's for android as "halo" too. The launcher was a flop but chatheads is great. Wonder if ios will ever get it?
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #5931
Lum Lumi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1463

iOS got chat heads a while ago, with a simple update to Messenger. They didn't even need to hack their own launcher for chat heads, imagine that...
Lum Lumi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #5932
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern37 View Post
Chat heads is great though! Totally changed the way I message now, I use messenger for both Fb and Text. The convenience of chat heads is amazing. It's already been copied by one of the main ROM's for android as "halo" too. The launcher was a flop but chatheads is great. Wonder if ios will ever get it?
I don't honestly care about this product, if it is any good or if it fails or succeed. Even if I used Android, I would have NOT installed it.

My beef is with the total corporate irresponsibility, idiocy, carelessness and sloppiness of the team, that it is becoming more and more present nowdays, even at very important and sensitive sectors. The ever-shortening of our attention spans will cost us dear as a species.
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 14th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #5933
siamu maharaj
تھپڑوں کی بارش

Likes (Received): 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
I don't honestly care about this product, if it is any good or if it fails or succeed. Even if I used Android, I would have NOT installed it.

My beef is with the total corporate irresponsibility, idiocy, carelessness and sloppiness of the team, that it is becoming more and more present nowdays, even at very important and sensitive sectors. The ever-shortening of our attention spans will cost us dear as a species.
Don't worry. At 12:23 PM on 17th April, 2019, humans and machines will become one and we'll be able to multitask like never before so attention spans would become meaningless.

Source: You know who
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #5934
Eastern37
Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum Lumi View Post
iOS got chat heads a while ago, with a simple update to Messenger. They didn't even need to hack their own launcher for chat heads, imagine that...
The ios version only allows Chatheads in the Facebook app though, not the whole phone like on android. Also Chatheads on android is just from an update to the messenger app as well. The launcher (home) is a totally different app that has nothing to do with Chatheads.

JohanSA liked this post
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #5935
Cytokine

New tablet from Sharp to have a 323 PPI display based on the super power efficient IGZO technology -

7" inch 1920x1200

http://www.datacider.com/wp-content/...05/7YoZ2ZL.jpg
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #5936
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytokine View Post
New tablet from Sharp to have a 323 PPI display based on the super power efficient IGZO technology -

7" inch 1920x1200

http://www.datacider.com/wp-content/...05/7YoZ2ZL.jpg
Damn, I was gonna say this is gonna give Samsung Galaxy phones a run with its 7" screen... Until I read it's a tablet.
Old May 15th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #5937
JohanSA

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Damn, I was gonna say this is gonna give Samsung Galaxy phones a run with its 7" screen... Until I read it's a tablet.
Twitter : @JohanTTBlom
JohanSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #5938
Cityhall
BANNED

Likes (Received): 33

Google Glass

Cityhall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #5939
wjfox
Save the bees!

Likes (Received): 5257

wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:13 AM   #5940
Boom92

Likes (Received): 4

Xbox One has arrived!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

From yahoo: http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...182033643.html
Quote:
Microsoft announces ‘Xbox One’, due out worldwide later this year
By:Ben Silverman

The next-gen console war is on.

Putting an end to weeks months years of rumor and speculation, Microsoft formally pulled the wraps off its Xbox 360 successor during a media gala at its Redmond HQ on Wednesday. It’s called the Xbox One, and according to the company, it’s an “all-in-one home entertainment system” aimed squarely at taking over your living room. No specific release date or price was announced, though it will be available worldwide later this year.

"What if a single device could provide all your entertainment, what if it could turn on your TV and talk to all the devices in your living room?," said Don Mattrick, Microsoft’s president of interactive entertainment.

Headlining the new system’s expansive feature set is its ability to support live television. A redesigned Kinect camera -- one comes packed with every console -- lets users control their television with verbal and gesture commands, including the ability to start up the system simply by saying ‘Xbox On.’ A built-in guide will display local TV listings and can also be navigated with voice commands.

Consumers will be able to switch instantly between games, TV, music, movies and other kinds of entertainment options, while a PC-Like ‘Snap Mode’ will let users run multiple programs alongside one another. A redesigned traditional game controller was also demonstrated.

The system boasts plenty of potent tech under the hood, including an 8-core CPU, 8GB of system memory, and a 500GB hard drive. That hard drive will also function as a game DVR to save and upload game video and content, though it’s unclear if it will also be used to record television.
Confirming countless rumors, the system will go head to head with Sony by packing a Blu-ray drive. According to Wired, the Xbox One will also feature pass-through HDMI, which allows users to hook up a cable box or satellite directly to the system.

Unfortunately, the new system architecture is bad news for Xbox 360 owners. The Xbox One will NOT be backwards compatible with the current console, Microsoft's Marc Whitten told The Verge.
The company also announced plans to beef up its industry-leading Xbox Live online service, increasing the number of servers from the Xbox 360’s 15,000 to over 300,000 for Xbox One. User content will, unsurprisingly, be stored in the cloud.

Of course, the system will also play video games. Microsoft announced a handful of titles, including four EA titles (‘FIFA 14,’ ‘Madden 25’, ‘NBA Live’ and ‘UFC’), ‘Forza’ 5’, a new franchise called ‘Quantum Break’ and Activision’s blockbuster-to-be, ‘Call of Duty: Ghosts’. An impressive 15 exclusive games are planned for the system’s first year, 8 of which will be brand new franchises.

And while a new ‘Halo’ video game has yet to be revealed, the company did announce a live-action Halo television series, to be executive produced by none other than Steven Spielberg.

Microsoft’s new machine will go head to head with Sony’s recently announced PlayStation 4 later this year -- and the game industry could use the excitement.

The game industry has undergone a massive transformation since the 2005 launch of the Xbox 360. The rise of more affordable gaming options, particularly in the mobile space, has publishers scrambling. Gamers have been less and less willing to fork over $60 per game, as evidenced by steady declines in retail software sales. Nintendo’s Wii U, launched in November of last year, has thus far failed to catch on with gamers in North America. Microsoft and Sony are under a great deal of pressure to convince consumers that investing in dedicated gaming consoles is still a worthwhile spend.

Many gaming insiders believe there’s still plenty of life left in the home console market, however.

“I believe that console gaming is going to explode on the scene of consumer electronics with this next generation of consoles,” former Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello wrote in a lengthy screed on Kotaku.

“We think that investor confidence is well-placed, and expect the next-generation consoles from Microsoft and Sony to impress and delight consumers,” wrote Michael Pachter of Wedbush Securities in a client note last Friday.

Though Nintendo’s Wii shot out of the gate to take a commanding sales lead in the last console generation, Microsoft’s Xbox 360 proved to have far more staying power. It’s ruled consoles sales charts for the past two years, giving the company pole position in the next-gen console war.

Both Microsoft and Sony will have a chance to prove their cases in just a few weeks during the game industry’s annual E3 trade show in Los Angeles.

Last edited by Boom92; May 22nd, 2013 at 01:30 AM.
Boom92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote