daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Tamil Nadu > Madurai

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #11681
murlee
ВANNED

Likes (Received): 4162

But weren't u guys demanding some kind of zoo or park that can become a recreational spot for Maduraites ?? I definitely remember something posted on those lines by Mr. Ananth itself..

Now when something on those lines comes about, now suddenly this U-turn??

Sponsored Links

Old May 14th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #11682
murlee
ВANNED

Likes (Received): 4162

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANANTH View Post
Madurai is not having any entertainment facilities compared to other cities. Just Y'day JJ announced two theme parks on the lines of the one located in Singapore and said one each in trichy and madras. We can understand trichy need it since they also dont have much entertainment facilities but why for madras which has beaches, parks, vandalur zoo and so on? Nobody can understand the reason except that it is madras and so it need to have anything which comes up in TN.

Now since the district admn is talking of shifting central jail to sholavandan or melur, why not create a theme park in madurai? The campus of central jail is 30+ acres and we can have a decent theme park there. We dont want concrete jungle there again.
Quote:
murlee,

yes old madurai district as well as nearby districts have many great tourist locations such as Kodai, Suruli, Meghamalai, courtallam etc etc., But all these are for holidays and not just for a day trip or for daily time pass.

For daily time pass, we have nothing in madurai except meenakshi temple and azaghar koil. Rajaji park or Eco park are too small and in half an hour you will finish and you have to look for some other time pass.

Zoo attracts children. Onething which attracts children is animals, birds etc., Also it is educative. From that sense also we need a decent size zoo for madurai.
Looks like a Zoo or a Theme park is comparable to Water projects/electricity etc and should be implemented but not a Tamil Thai Statue based park.. hmmm..
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #11683
kg4129

Likes (Received): 1662

Athu Poona vaaram...Naan solrathu intha vaaram...

ANANTH, thillai_selvan liked this post
kg4129 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #11684
Arul Murugan

Likes (Received): 3445

Quote:
Arul, What I am saying is let us give priority to pressing problems. That's all. I don't want to start a debate.
we cannot draw a line for pressing problem. We cannot stop other projects drawing a boundary for one's pressing problem.

For example, a person under poverty who is able to afford food for only 2 times a day cannot demand others not to take 3 times a food, untile he gets money to take food for 3 times a food. Pressing problem differs from case to case!

The announced 100crore project is going to be a 8-10yrs project.. it is long way to take shape. The power and drinking water issue will not be the same 10yrs from now.

I am just happy that it is going to fuel the tourism potential of Madurai in big way and going to be 2nd iconic landmark after Meenakshi amman temple..

Even Mu Ka will not abandon the project citing that he is the savior of Tamil Thai.

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Arul Murugan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #11685
ANANTH

Likes (Received): 1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlee View Post
But weren't u guys demanding some kind of zoo or park that can become a recreational spot for Maduraites ?? I definitely remember something posted on those lines by Mr. Ananth itself..

Now when something on those lines comes about, now suddenly this U-turn??
Murlee, I would love to have as many things as possible for Madurai. I am not against it. 100 crore is too big amount which can be spent for improving some infra. This is what I meant. No need for U turn.

Yes. We do need some entertainment facilities and I am all for it. But if you ask me, should we spent so much money for that, I beg to differ.

If you notice this project is not planned for madras or any other place but for my beloved Madurai. but still I was not happy about it. Why? The reason is simple. I felt the amount can be used for some infra things required badly for Madurai.

Last edited by ANANTH; May 14th, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
ANANTH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #11686
Arul Murugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyinblr View Post
Of course statue for a Political leader is a waste of money..

b/w antha tamil thaiyae ammaiyar thaan

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #11687
kannan infratech

Likes (Received): 8020

Ananth,

The funding for water or civic facilities can generally not be diverted to other sectors as the Funders like World Bank/ ADB / JICA monitor the expenses.

But for Chenthamizh Maanadu @ Coimbatore, TN Govt took money from DTCP deposits (which are meant for civic amenities for CBE) saying that the money would be spent only on improving the infra.

You may please check the source of funds for this project @ Madurai. I hope that this is not a diverted fund.

madurakarenda, Madurai gilli liked this post
kannan infratech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #11688
ANANTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan infratech View Post
Ananth,

The funding for water or civic facilities can generally not be diverted to other sectors as the Funders like World Bank/ ADB / JICA monitor the expenses.

But for Chenthamizh Maanadu @ Coimbatore, TN Govt took money from DTCP deposits (which are meant for civic amenities for CBE) saying that the money would be spent only on improving the infra.

You may please check the source of funds for this project @ Madurai. I hope that this is not a diverted fund.
Yes. Govt cant divert the funds which they obtain from world bank etc for a specific project. I am not talking in terms of source of funds. But I am talking in terms of utilization of funds.

Constructing a yatri nivas (mangammal choultry is going to private party so we don't have any cheap rent accommodation for visiting tourists), finishing the ring road which is partly over, early completion of Multi level car parking at the old central market, creating some facility for the rare Jain monuments etc could have been considered with this amount. This will equally help the tourists, locals etc., If TN govt say either you take it or leave it, then obviously I would take it. But if they ask me to choose between what they offered and what I listed above, I would opt for second. Hope I am able to clear our friends doubts.
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #11689
arun82

Likes (Received): 1538

I think they copied this Idea

But on a smaller scale.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1540214
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #11690
venkyinblr
Die Mannschaft !

Likes (Received): 3202

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun82 View Post

But on a smaller scale.

It looks like these guys have copied the Tiruvalluvar Statue in Kanyakumari,.And on the big Scale

Arul Murugan liked this post

Last edited by venkyinblr; May 14th, 2013 at 02:24 PM.
venkyinblr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #11691
ANANTH

Quote:

But on a smaller scale.

good find. Smaller scale? Whether JJ had indicated the height of Tamil Thai statue? I didn't notice that in news item.
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #11692
mduvignesh

Likes (Received): 208

Quote:
Arul, What I am saying is let us give priority to pressing problems. That's all. I don't want to start a debate.
hmm.. when I read the news, I thought this in mind, instead of spending 100 crores for this, she should have announced to setup any industry or should have spent for some infra.

ANANTH liked this post
mduvignesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #11693
venkyinblr
Die Mannschaft !

Jayalalithaa announces plan for Rs 100 crore statue

Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa on Tuesday announced her government's decision to install a mega statue of Tamil Thai (Mother Tamil) in Madurai at an outlay of Rs.100 crore.

Announcing this in the assembly, Jayalalithaa said: "The Tamil Thai statue will be built in a way that would showcase to the world the Tamil civilisation, culture, literary treasures and architectural prowess."

She said Tamil Thai park will have five types of lands - Kurunji (mountain land), Mullai (forest land), Marutham (cultivated land), Naithal (beach) and Palai (desert) - and plants mentioned in ancient Tamil literature.

The Tamil Thai statue will be the second mega statue in the state. In 2000, the 133-foot statue of poet Thiruvalluvar was installed on an island near Kanyakumari.

madurakarenda liked this post
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #11694
arun82

Quote:
good find. Smaller scale? Whether JJ had indicated the height of Tamil Thai statue? I didn't notice that in news item.
I meant they are doing it at 2500 crs and TT statue is for Rs 100 crs only
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #11695
arun82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduvignesh View Post
hmm.. when I read the news, I thought this in mind, instead of spending 100 crores for this, she should have announced to setup any industry or should have spent for some infra.
Multiplier effect Sir should be factored. Only the statue is not going to cost Rs 100 crs, not even the park will cost that amount. It is the amount of Infrastructure which needs to be done.

Tourism is the next big service industry where the need for resources is less

Madurai has the history , geographic advantage to be developed as a tourism hub

Be it natural or historical or spiritual - Madurai can be made a hub

This big ticket investment will attract lakhs of people visiting south India and can help position Madurai in the International tourism map.

Only concern is neighbour state forumers will bash stating TN people are too obessed with Tamil to waste 100 crs being statues and parks in the name of langauge and encourage the other official langauage

venkyinblr liked this post
arun82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #11696
venkyinblr
Die Mannschaft !

Quote:
Only concern is neighbour state forumers will bash stating TN people are too obessed with Tamil to waste 100 crs being statues and parks in the name of langauge and encourage the other official langauage
Already this news is getting insane review comments across the web,,

Some Einsteins and Pascals are reborn it seems, without knowing the essence of this project , the impact of tourism and Service industry towards the economy of a Region..
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #11697
Arul Murugan

Thiruvalluvar statue project cost was just 6 crores!

For sure, this statue will be heigher than that of Thiruvalluvar statue.. considering the cost of the project.

I guess it would be double the size of Thiruvalluvar statue... i.e. around 80m..

IMHO it should be placed in outskirts of Madurai city.. and statue should offer aeriel view of Majestic Meenakshi amman temple and the city of Madurai. Elevator should be part of the statue!

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #11698
venkyinblr
Die Mannschaft !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arul Murugan View Post
Thiruvalluvar statue project cost was just 6 crores!

For sure, this statue will be heigher than that of Thiruvalluvar statue.. considering the cost of the project.

I guess it would be double the size of Thiruvallur statue... i.e. around 80m..

IMHO it should be placed in outskirts of Madurai city.. and statue should offer aeriel view of Majestic Meenakshi amman temple and the city of Madurai. Elevator should be part of the statue!
So this is going to be bigger (as per our prediction on the Budget).. than the Tiruvalluvar statue in KK..

Many of my other state friends were happy to see the Tiruvaluvar statue in KK, they would be much happier to see the statue in MDU also..I think it wont be just a Statue , there could be some Park or Museum around..

madurakarenda liked this post
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #11699
ArunKumarB

Likes (Received): 260

Dina Thanthi
ArunKumarB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #11700
ANANTH

Vandiyur tank is the likely location.

As per hindu newspaper the most likely location is going to be Vandiyur tank.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle4715161.ece[/EMAIL]

If the information is correct then, the planned Island with other facilities etc which is floating around for years will not happen.

I hope they don't finish the lake totally. Because Vandiyur tank takes care of few hundred acres of agri land and it helps the groundwater level to improve in KK Nagar and nearby areas.

Tags
madurai, madurai city, madurai developments