daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 14th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #121
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12399

it's not as if they couldn't move to a brand new venue anyway if they are really so wonderful. there's plenty of places along the southern stretch of the northern line that are suitable for them and they clearly have the money.

what annoys me though is simply that the cost benefits are stacked against them. the ministry of sound is a big business and brand, but the club is a tiddler when compared to the sums of money the developments they are trying to stop represent. they could quite easily be costing elephant and castle a couple of hundred million in lost capital investments, not only with the two schemes they are openly opposing, but with the opportunity costs from other developers. you have everything from almost a thousand residents not living in elephant and castle and the money they aren't spending there, to the loss to the community of a new education centre.

i wonder if they want the sites themselves - and on the cheap. this would certainly kill their values and allow the MoS to pick them up and then redevelop them. they have offered so much haven't they?
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #122
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 677

Isn't MoS run by Lord Palumbo's son? Does he have loads of property connections as well, though I doubt they have many connections at the local council. At the end of the day if the planner recommended it pass, then they have got a good chance at an appeal.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #123
delores

Likes (Received): 473

As I suspected seems MOS have an ulterior motive to develop their own scheme.
http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/morri...026166.article
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #124
worldmayor

Likes (Received): 0

This whole closing nightclubs thing has to stop though as much as I would have liked to see this development go ahead. Its such a strange attitude that some people have. I know lets move next to one of the country's most famous nightclubs and then complain about the noise and close it down because I don't like it.

They've done it in Birmingham around Digbeth and I can't see it stopping anytime soon.

In my eyes this is as stupid as someone moving into an apartment next to the Royal Albert Hall and petitioning to stop the BBC Proms because of all the people and disruption caused. Or maybe local residents in bow complaining about the Olympics.

The MoS is a culturally significant place and to systematically destroy our culture in the name of peace and quiet is not a very democratic way of dealing with things.

The government is taxing the hell out of entertainment venues as it is. You now have to have a license which costs thousands of pounds if you wish to have more than a few people, i.e. a band play at your venue.

Many places just close down and don't fight and we're left with thousands of empty places and a decreasing amount of places to go on an evening for entertainment and music. The insurance and legislation is crippling them and many other cultural events such as the Latin Carnival Del Pueblo not taking place this year is an example of this, not to mention the hundreds of town councils who simply cannot afford to host these events.

It appears the country once known for its freedom, music, art and culture is now being deprived of what makes it so special.
worldmayor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:19 PM   #125
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61445

Eileen House re-designed to keep out Ministry of Sound noise
Building Design
22 May 2013
Quote:
Balconies converted into winter gardens to minimise noise

Allies & Morrison has submitted revised plans for its contested housing scheme at Elephant & Castle in south London.

They include high-performance acoustically sealed windows and partly sealed winter gardens in place of open balconies.

Plans for Eileen House were unexpectedly thrown out by Southwark’s planning committee 18 months ago over fears raised by the neighbouring Ministry of Sound nightclub that a single noise complaint from a new resident could shut it down.

[continued in link]

jake-potato liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #126
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6523

Ministry of Sound repeats closure fears over Allies & Morrison plan
5 November 2013 | By David Rogers

The Ministry of Sound has again warned that it will be forced to close if London mayor Boris Johnson gives Allies & Morrison’s plans for a 41-storey residential tower the green light.

Allies and Morrison’s revised Eileen House
Johnson is set to rule on the Eileen House scheme the week after next after an original decision, due in the summer, was put back.

Earlier this year, Allies & Morrison submitted revised plans for the scheme at Elephant & Castle after its original plans were thrown out by Southwark’s planning committee in 2011 over fears raised by the superclub that a single noise complaint could shut it down.

The revised plans for developer Oakmayne include high-performance acoustically sealed windows and partly sealed winter gardens in place of open balconies.

But in an open letter to the mayor, the club said: “Whatever else you’ve been told, if you approve the Eileen House scheme as it stands, Ministry of Sound will close.”

The club said residents should be told about anticipated noise levels before they move in. Ministry of Sound chief executive Lohan Presencer said: “New residents would know from the start what to expect from a nightclub as their neighbour.

“Because they would acknowledge our right to operate before they move in, accepting current noise levels and night time activity, they couldn’t subsequently complain about us at a later date.”
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #127
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 814

This MoS issue reminds me of a similar issue impacting the Dicken's Inn at St Ktherine's Dock. When it originally opened, the area in front was bare brick, rather dull, with a few brick enclosed planters which a few people sat on to have their beer. Over a few years, the whole front area turned into an amazing pub terrace, a glorious beer garden. Then all of a sudden the beer garden was closed down - due to three noise complaints from residents in a brand new council housing project built right behind the pub. The pub and garden predated the council housing, there were only three complaints, yet Tower Hamlets forced the Dickens Inn to close down a wonderful pub drinking space and the Dickens Inn has never regained the level of popularity it once had, or St Katherine's Dock.

Seems to me that if noise complaints can close down a pub, that many of London's small beer gardens would be shut down. If residents move into a building with an adjacent pre-sxisting noisyish neighbour such as a pub, that's their choice; the council should not be making the newcomer the priority if if was clearly evident that the pre-sxisting neighbour was already there.

Same goes for the MoS - let the developer build glass conservatories for the residents, many may prefer this anyway. Why not have a sound easement for the new residential tower such that residents have to accept higher than normal noise levels from the MoS so long as it stays at this site.

potto liked this post
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #128
Gallon of Magnet

Likes (Received): 12

I disagree that antisocial behaviour by a minority (a chemically-addled minority with bloody awful taste in music, let's not forget) should take priority over the wellbeing of a neighbourhood as a whole simply because it has been going on for a while.

That club itself is a relative newcomer in the area anyway. What right have they to dictate what can and can't be built nearby, and put the brakes on development in an area which sorely needs it? None, in my opinion.

The "we'll be forced to close" argument is just emotional blackmail anyway. There's nothing to stop them moving again, they're multimillionaire businessmen for pete's sake, not a charity shop.

Finally, I would point readers to delores' link a few comments back. There are ulterior motives at play here.
Gallon of Magnet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #129
potto

Likes (Received): 9173

Night club space should be treated as a cultural asset as larger spaces for night time use become increasingly rare while London falls down the night time entertainment ranking with its puritan inspired licensing system and councils looking for the route of least effort.

I don't see why new residents choosing to move to an area should be allowed to remove such city assets. It reminds me of the type of person migrating to the river side developments and expressing surprise and disgust that there are house boats and then forming political committees to oust them.

This particular club is relatively powerful and is able to play the same game. However if there are ulterior motives then the developer, estate agents and council could easily call their bluff by making the required assurances (I believe the developer has already promised to install sound proofing at some levels of the building?). A combination of design solutions and council support should surely be enough to appease both parties.

What I don't get in this city is the lack of cultural space provided in these huge multi-million £ developments. Generally residential development is needlessly provincial and segregated compared to zone 1 developments in other cities.

stevekeiretsu, jake-potato, Trances liked this post

Last edited by potto; November 8th, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #130
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 3391

Decision has been adjured to 19th December after almost 3 hours in council chamber. The reason was to see if there could be a section 106 agreement made between Ministry of Sound and the developer. Adjournment was called because the parties clearly didn't understand the full ins and outs of how this would work.

However it seems like this will now be approved: Ministry of Sound said they liked the proposals of the tower's sound insulation etc, and the developer said they liked having Ministry of Sound nearby as they can use it in marketing as a local resource.

Boris came out with his usual silliness. Highlight this time was that he had been to the Ministry of Sound and "strutted his funky stuff with Ulrika Jonsson"

Core Rising liked this post
Retro Specs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #131
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 12075

the sad part of this to me is that while MoS has managed to influence things, MoS is a massive global brand with corresponding money (£136m annual revenue according to wikipedia) and influence... whereas just down the road is corsica studios, right opposite the oakmayne development, which does (for my taste) far more interesting grassroots/independent types of music & promotions, but has probably no clout at all, and I expect will last about 5 minutes once oakmayne residents move in and start whinging. even though in principle the two scenarios are the same - a pre-existing cultural venue serving residents into that sort of thing from across london, versus new residents moving in next to something that's been there longer than their houses have...

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkneyBristolLisbonLondon

Trances, tsweaver liked this post
stevekeiretsu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #132
SE9
South East Nine

Approved by the mayor:

- Building Design: Mayor of London approves Allies & Morrison's flats beside Ministry of Sound

- Architects Journal: Allies and Morrison's Elephant & Castle scheme approved

- London SE1: Eileen House: Boris Johnson approves Newington Causeway tower

Officer Dibble, Core Rising liked this post
Old December 20th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #133
Sitback
NW London baby!

Likes (Received): 79

I would hate anything to happen to the MoS because of this. It's the world's most famous club and culturally important. Created an empire including a record label responsible for some of the most legendary tunes in Dance Music history.
Old December 20th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #134
SF-02

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitback View Post
I would hate anything to happen to the MoS because of this. It's the world's most famous club and culturally important. Created an empire including a record label responsible for some of the most legendary tunes in Dance Music history.
But isn't it now a tried old brand living off past glory to charge silly money to get in? Not that I want it to close but I'd be more concerned if somewhere interesting was under threat.
SF-02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #135
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 3391

We might now finally get to see what Ministry of Sound will unveil for their own site, where they've long been rumoured to be interested in developing.

Also I wrote a quick post about Elephant and Castle's projects last night if anyone is interested: http://hovelled.com/a-bigger-elephant/
Retro Specs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #136
SE9
South East Nine

Article today from the BBC:

Ministry of Sound tower block plans approved by mayor
BBC News
7 January 2014
Quote:
Plans to build a block of flats near a central London nightclub have been approved by the mayor Boris Johnson.

Developer Oakmayne will build 335 apartments and 65 affordable homes on the Eileen House site in Newington Causeway near the Ministry of Sound.

The nightclub in Elephant and Castle had protested against the building as they feared noise complaints could force the venue to closure.

The developer agreed to alter the block to protect residents from loud music.

Acoustic protection

The mayor gave the project the go-ahead on 19 December after the Oakmayne agreed to alter their design. Details only emerged on Tuesday.

The new 41-storey building will now include acoustic glazing, sealed windows and internal "wintergardens" to address the club's concerns.

Englewood Limited, which worked with developers Oakmayne, said the agreement meant the nightclub remains "fully protected" and that both sides could co-exist in Southwark.

Lohan Presencer, chief executive of Ministry of Sound Group, said he was looking forward to welcoming new neighbours to the area.

The nightclub and the property developer also agreed a "deed of easement", which will allow the Ministry of Sound to continue with their current noise levels without fear of complaints from residents.

Boris Johnson stepped in to adjudicate on the planning application after Southwark Council refused planning permission in 2011.

In his role in making strategic planning decisions for London, the mayor can take over an application and rule on it.

Southwark Council said the plans were refused on the grounds of failing to meet affordable housing needs.

Artists including Judge Jules, Pete Tong, Fatboy Slim, Calvin Harris and Example had supported a campaign to protect the nightclub.

Building work on the development is expected to start later this year, the developer said.

tahr4801, Storeys liked this post
Old January 9th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #137
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 12075

current building for posterity / future comparison etc

image hosted on flickr

Eileen House by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Eileen House and 89-93 Newington Causeway u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Eileen House and 89-93 Newington Causeway u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkneyBristolLisbonLondon

SE9, Core Rising, Officer Dibble liked this post
stevekeiretsu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #138
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6523

Well I think its two neighbours might be gone soon, too.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #139
LazyOaf

Likes (Received): 410

Scaffolding going up on site.

Union Man, Officer Dibble liked this post
LazyOaf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 01:41 AM   #140
SE9
South East Nine

Demolition imminent: