daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Architecture

Architecture architecture news, historical buildings and structures, places of worship, iconic buildings and structures, and famous architects & architecture

Old November 14th, 2006, 01:26 AM   #1
johnsonooi
Proud to be Malaysian

Likes (Received): 50

ISTANA NEGARA ( ايستان نڬارا ) | Kuala Lumpur (Jalan Duta)| Royal Palace ( Official Palace of His Majesty DYMM Agong )| Completed (2011)

New RM400 Million Istana Negara Complex To Be Ready By 2009

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 13 (Bernama) -- A new palace complex costing RM400 million in Jalan Duta will be built to replace the Istana Negara that has been used since 1928.

Works Minister Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu said work on the new Istana Negara to be built atop a hill on a 241.3-acre (96.52 hectares) site would start next June and slated for completion in 2009.

"We need a new palace with larger space. Currently, the Balai Rong Seri of Istana Negara is also used for banquets and meetings. One room for multiple use is just inadequate," he told reporters at the ground-breaking ceremony for the new palace in Jalan Duta here, Monday.

It was officiated by Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Syed Putra Jamalullail. Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, his deputy Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and Cabinet members were also present.

Samy Vellu said the new Istana Negara steeped in Islamic and Malay architectural designs had been on the drawing board since nine months ago.

"It will not be the largest palace as there are larger ones around, but will be one suitable for a country like Malaysia," he added.

He said the fate of the present Istana Negara would be determined by the Prime Minister's Department. Bernama has been made to understand that it had been proposed as a royal museum.

Kumpulan Seni Reka Sdn Bhd has been appointed architect for the new palace with Maya Maju Sdn Bhd the building contractor.

Samy Vellu said the site for the new palace had been gazetted for the purpose 30 years ago.

-- BERNAMA
johnsonooi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 14th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #2
johnsonooi
Proud to be Malaysian

Anyone has the rendering of the new complex?
Old November 14th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #3
blurangel
Blur Angel In The Sky

Likes (Received): 0

Hi Johnsonooi,

Go to this website and you will be able to take a look at the scale model....

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story...167&sec=nation

although its a little bit small....
blurangel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 03:47 AM   #4
Yee Haa

Hope this won't take more than 10 years to built & cost won't over run like Matrade..
Yee Haa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 03:56 AM   #5
forrestcat

Likes (Received): 6

I hope they relegate the palace to more public functions rather than a place solely for the King.It's good that at least the park around it would be open to the public.
forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #6
pedang
One Malaysia

Likes (Received): 6

Cabinet to decide on future of prime palace land

By Presenna Nambiar
presenna@nstp.com.my

November 14 2006

THE Cabinet will decide on the future of a large piece of land that houses the existing National Palace, an area with huge development potential that is eyed by many developers.

The National Palace is to be moved from its current location on Syed Putra Road to a 97.65-hectare piece of gazetted land in the Jalan Duta area.

There are plans for the existing palace to be a Royal Museum but this needs to be approved by the Cabinet. The palace sits on some 11ha of land and this means that part of it may be available for development.

"Many are eyeing the land. But it all depends on the Cabinet's decision as and when they meet to discuss the Istana Negara and its grounds issue," Public Works Department director Dr Amer Hamzah Mohd Yunus told Business Times.

"It is definitely a prime piece of land," Kong & Jaafar managing director Elvin Fernandez said.

"Certain portions should be retained to preserve the heritage of the Istana Negara and if there is room for selling a portion of excess land, it should be sold to show the value, amenity and the use of the land.

"I suggest that proposals be invited from parties interested in developing the land, asking them to showcase the best possible development for the land according to the parameters set by the authorities,"Elvin said. - sound good

He said the land should be put to best use that can also bring revenue to the Government," Elvin said.

He said if there is excess land and it is commercial land, then a small parcel of around 0.4ha should be able to bring in around RM1,000 per sq feet.

At a rate of RM1,000 per sq ft, a 0.4ha piece of land would bring in a whopping RM43.56 million.

Meanwhile, Badan Warisan Malaysia president Tan Sri Ahmad Sarji Abdul Hamid said the National Palace should be declared a national heritage. He said the National Palace could be converted into a museum depicting the history of the institution of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:30 AM   #7
Subangite

what a waste of money! what's wrong with the current istana negara? Besides, the king already has the gigantic Istana Melawati in Putrajaya. This 400million is a lot of money!!
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #8
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 7

Cant wait for it to be built! One day i hope jalan duta will be one super extragavant area. But aiyo tear down those ugly 70s jkr buildings 1st!
baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #9
acela

good one.personally since the land has been gazzatted for the new istana then i don't see a problem building a new one.the older one can open to public in a form of public park rather than selling the land for property.i hope the old place will not become like places such as jalan duta as now they're opening new building and losing it's green charm along that area.i think a good public maybe we can take a model of british parks like st james' or regents park combining with a royale museum so that the public can at least learn and enjoy.
acela no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #10
johnsonooi
Proud to be Malaysian

Some people have different opinions when they are looking at the same things. However, no offense here, building a new palace for the head of our country may seem as a need to replace the old palace; it may be also perceived as a waste of money for others too, depend on what angle you are viewing.

IMO, national palace is a private area for the royal families (ie bedroom...); it is also a public area for Malaysians (ie the royal garden). Besides, it also served as a meeting venue for the nation's VIP. The current palace is just a temporary when Malaya was just established. The government at Tunku Abdul Rahman Era planned to built a new palace at Jalan Duta but this had been postposned because of the emergency.

Nevertheless, I am agreed with Subangite, but not 100%

Last edited by johnsonooi; November 14th, 2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #11
ZaHiRnYa???
you are you and i am me..

Likes (Received): 45

hmm..the sun newspaper cited that the new palace will be completed in 2 years time...
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #12
OshHisham
BANNED

turning Istana Negara into 'raffles-style' a ROYAL PALACE HOTEL is not a bod idea huh? because for me..museum is a kind of boring place only for old 'makcik' tourists.
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #13
Skyprince
Asian boi

Beta bersetuju dengan Subangite

Kenapa nak habiskan RM 400 juta wang rakyat ??

Lebih baik guna duit itu untuk membina lebuh raya di kawasan pedalaman ke, membasmi kemiskinan ke, memberi biasiswa kepada pelajar yang ingin masuk universiti ke.... kan lagi berfaedah...btol tak ? btol tak ?
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 06:36 AM   #14
Leeigh

Likes (Received): 3

I kinda think that is is a big waste of money especially after they built Istana Melawati in Putrajaya, Subangite was right I have to say. They better turn the old istana into a money making machine...well if not that...a public place..why can't they just fix up and expand the old istana?
Leeigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #15
Blabbyboy
Melbourne Zealot

Likes (Received): 1

Istana Negara is such an important institution to Malaysians...if it is not, then it should be...so how about a little more transparency to what is going on??? Where is the new site? Where are the plans or renders? Any photos? Whatever they do with the existing Istana, it (and the LAND) should NEVER be used for commercial purposes (eg hotel)...a museum or other institution open to the public would be a very suitable use IMHO.

Does anybody have any photos of the existing Istana? We all seem to know what the Istana looks like but I've never seen detailed photos of it.
Old December 18th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #16
OshHisham
BANNED

Istana interior plan is confidential and can't be publicized. so the contract for building it also have to be a closed-tender. the cost which i think seriously expensive is due to the land value in Jalan Duta which is not cheap. but why government doesn't just moved Agong to Melawati palace is questionable
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 03:00 AM   #17
dengilo

Likes (Received): 557

Here we go again! Lets waste some malaysian tax ringgit !They dont care what the people think!Lets build more istanas ya of all places jalan duta then lets move back some of offices back here from putrajaya!Banyak pandai!
dengilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #18
acela

Why didn't the Agong move to istana melawati putrajaya?Same as why the queen of england didn't move out to windsor castle from buckingham.It has to do with the ceremonial at the parliament that's why.The duta area is near the parliment building as with the old istana negara.same as to buckingham palace is near to the westminster area or british parliament.Distance is the key.The MP's can wait for the Agong/Queen.
acela no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 04:37 AM   #19
alsen
Celebrity Fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subangite View Post
what a waste of money! what's wrong with the current istana negara? Besides, the king already has the gigantic Istana Melawati in Putrajaya. This 400million is a lot of money!!
well said.i hope the other sultans won't ask for new palace dah la.
alsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #20
Blabbyboy
Melbourne Zealot

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by acela View Post
Why didn't the Agong move to istana melawati putrajaya?Same as why the queen of england didn't move out to windsor castle from buckingham.It has to do with the ceremonial at the parliament that's why.The duta area is near the parliment building as with the old istana negara.same as to buckingham palace is near to the westminster area or british parliament.Distance is the key.The MP's can wait for the Agong/Queen.
There must be an official residence in KL for visiting heads of state, etc. Where they actually stay is irrelevant. The Istana is usually a ceremonial building, which also contains apartments for the royal family. It is possible as an alternative to move the actual place that they live in to another location and just use the Istana for ceremonial purposes, freeing up room, and removing the need to build a whole new Istana. I think it's silly to say that the Istana's plans are secret, because it is a public and heritage building...there is no security risk involved...in fact, I'm surprised the Istana is not open for Open House at certain times of the year...(or is it?)

See info and pictures here: http://www.malaysianmonarchy.org.my/...bm/rk7/rk7.php