daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Greater L.A. Area > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties

Old May 13th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #1681
unmentioned

Likes (Received): 101

Riverside's Marketplace Specific Plan indicates the city's desire to transform Commerce Street into a brewery-driven entertainment and dining district with preserved and adapted packinghouses and older industrial buildings turned into breweries, tasting rooms, restaurants, etc. It's a little bit removed from the Uni/Main nightlife strip emerging downtown, but with the Downtown Specific Plan Entertainment and Nightlife update coming out soon, it may be worth it for the city to consider devoting special attention to catalyzing the creation of a "brewer's district" even further by offering thing like streamlined permitting, expedited or special liquor licensing, etc.

From the Marketplace Specific Plan [PDF]:

On a related note, I feel there's a chance we've bumped into one another at Pixels or somewhere once or twice in the past, considering your apparent DTR habit.

Sponsored Links

Old May 14th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #1682
Chewsif

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmentioned View Post
Riverside's Marketplace Specific Plan indicates the city's desire to transform Commerce Street into a brewery-driven entertainment and dining district with preserved and adapted packinghouses and older industrial buildings turned into breweries, tasting rooms, restaurants, etc. It's a little bit removed from the Uni/Main nightlife strip emerging downtown, but with the Downtown Specific Plan Entertainment and Nightlife update coming out soon, it may be worth it for the city to consider devoting special attention to catalyzing the creation of a "brewer's district" even further by offering thing like streamlined permitting, expedited or special liquor licensing, etc.
Awesome thanks for posting this! Didn't know this plan was in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmentioned View Post
On a related note, I feel there's a chance we've bumped into one another at Pixels or somewhere once or twice in the past, considering your apparent DTR habit.
It's quite possible, or maybe even walking around with my iPhone snapping shots of the city for observation.
--> Increase Transportation
--> Decrease Crime
--> Improve Environment
Chewsif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #1683
GatsbyGatz

Likes (Received): 88

It's quite possible than any one of us have bumped into each other. Any of you attending ProAbition's The Great Gatsby movie themed party?:

You can find my girl and I dressed in theme-appropriate suited/flapper attire.
GatsbyGatz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #1684
unmentioned

Unfortunately I'll be in Vegas this weekend, gin-sloshing around in my own fringed frock.
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #1685
unmentioned

Convention Center expansion as of 5/8/13:

Old May 15th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #1686
Chewsif

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
It's quite possible than any one of us have bumped into each other. Any of you attending ProAbition's The Great Gatsby movie themed party?

You can find my girl and I dressed in theme-appropriate suited/flapper attire.
I saw this! I'm totally wanting to go, but already made plans to go to the Hangar 24 5th Anniversary celebration. Be sure to grab some pics though of anything cool!
--> Decrease Crime
--> Improve Environment
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #1687
Chewsif

Whoa! Found this gem browsing the interwebs today. The RCC Renaissance Block plans have taken some major steps forward. Pretty awesome presentation. The Riverside School for the Arts (RSA) has changed drastically, and is even now officially named the Coil School of the Arts (CSA). I was a little skeptical at the change in design at first because I loved the old design so much. However, I think this new design better complements the Culinary Arts Academy/RCCD building (which LPA demonstrates throughout the presentation very well as you'll see). The new design still has some very unique features, but a number of them are done with brilliant subtlety. Instead of the outdoor theater area behind the structure, there is now a concert hall with "outstanding acoustics" that shoots up through the center of the building. (The conceptual rendering of the concert hall looks very cool... almost like it could belong at the Segerstrom in Costa Mesa.)

I do have some questions about the new building design and the project as a whole. It claims that the CSA is two levels but the parking structure (which looks decent and non-intrusive ) is four levels. Oddly enough, the CSA is still taller, and from the parking structure elevations, it seems like there are only three levels showing... maybe the fourth is subterranean?

The presentation only shows floor plans for the first floor of the CSA. All of the rooms on first floor appear to be related to music arts. Which leaves me only to guessing how the second "level" with break down (note that the concert hall still drives through the center. Will it be play/performance arts? Visual arts? Not sure if there will be a whole lot of room for visual arts (certainly for physical arts like ceramics, glass blowing, etc.) RCC has those types of spaces already on the main campus, anyway I suppose, so maybe there's room here for digital arts with computer labs and some life drawing and painting rooms that support a career route of industry arts (Graphic Design, Entertainment Art/Animation, Illustration, etc.) We'll see I guess...

Lastly, not that I'm too skeptical about the other sides of the buildings since the street views shown are amazing with some great material suggestions, but I would like to see maybe the back views as if you were at White Park. I liked the old RSA concept that fed out into White Park and had open views of the park from inside the building. Great for inspiration. So I guess what I'm getting at is that it would be great if the windows are more open in the back for observation purposes (I like the design of the slit windows for the front of the building, but I feel the back should be open... like the fronts of the RCCCA/RCCD building.

Anyhow I find this entire project exciting... I really hope it comes super close to exact, because the materials patterns and design elements are as I mentioned a while back... a game changer in architectural quality for Downtown Riverside.

Enjoy!

http://www.rccdistrict.net/eb/Attach...6016114971.pdf
--> Decrease Crime
--> Improve Environment
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1688
unmentioned

Very nice. I hope that corner space is active more often than not. Does anyone know if the culinary school plans to run a full-time restaurant in the space, or just a test/demonstration kitchen open at certain times for student programming and special events?

I would also like to know how this relatively ambitious (by Riverside standards) aesthetic treatment fares in design review.

(On an only-tangentially related note, Google AdWords must be picking up on all the talk of "culinary" this and that because the banner ads at the bottom of my page are for Williams-Sonoma.)
Old June 2nd, 2013, 09:38 PM   #1689
unmentioned

Interesting. Could have taken less shitty photos though.

Downtown Riverside is blossoming, right outside your hotel

There's a bustling arts and culture scene and appealing restaurants to offer sustenance as you explore the area.

Many people heading to Riverside make a beeline for the Mission Inn and spend the weekend at its spa, restaurants and pool. They barely venture outside, and that's a shame because, as my husband and I discovered, downtown Riverside has blossomed into a fine arts and culture district. There are many examples of classic California architecture and more than a dozen sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The tab: We spent about $200, including $105 for one night at the Hyatt Place and $95 on food and museum admissions.

The bed

Just off the Main Street pedestrian mall and its shops, restaurants and museums, the new Hyatt Place (3500 Market St.; [951] 321-3500, http://www.riversidedowntown.place.hyatt.com) is easier on the wallet than the nearby Mission Inn. There's a small lobby and the "Guest Kitchen," where you can grab a snack 24/7. If you don't like crowds, bring your shin guards: On Saturday night, the public area was jammed with young soccer players eating pizza. The guest rooms are bright and functional; our room had a partition separating the sleeping area, a sectional sofa-sleeper and work space. Breakfast is included.

The meal

The best place for lunch on an art-filled weekend is Tio's Tacos (3948 Mission Inn Ave.; [951] 788-0230), a treasure-trove of found and recycled objects that is a feast for the eyes: Think Watts Towers meet Antoni Gaudí in a fantastical sculpture garden. Sip aguas frescas on the patio while eating traditional Mexican fare. The Salted Pig (3700 12th St.; [951] 848-4020, http://www.saltedpigriverside.com), a new gastro pub, was jammed on Saturday night. We had brews and bacon fat popcorn to start. Our pig-out meal, a pork belly sandwich and a juicy burger on a house-made brioche bun with jalapeño cream cheese, was great; dessert was a Pig Sammy, candied bacon ice cream between maple cookies.

The find

The bustling downtown arts scene. Small galleries have popped up alongside such established venues as the Riverside Art Museum, housed in a former YWCA designed by Julia Morgan. The UC Riverside ARTSblock was a standout with three dynamic spaces for the UCR/California Museum of Photography, the Sweeney Art Gallery and the Culver Center of the Arts. A pair of exhibits (now closed), "Free Enterprise" and "Astronauts, Rockets & Robots," with an outer space theme, were a delight. Among the small galleries, we liked Christian Tedeschi's "Throwing a Blanket Over the Invisible Man" exhibit at the tiny Californa Baptist University's College of Architecture, Visual Arts and Design space. (Museum/galleries details: http://www.exploreriverside.com/wheretoplay.asp. )

The lesson learned

Time your trip to coincide with a performance at downtown's Fox Performing Arts Center (3801 Mission Inn Ave.; [951] 779-9800, http://www.foxriversidelive.com), a recently renovated 1929 Spanish Colonial Revival gem. Take your pick: There are rock stars, classical musicians, dance troupes, Broadway shows.
Old July 6th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #1690
saiholmes

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE

CORONA: Wall Street green lights Highway 91 expansion
BY PETER FISCHETTI STAFF WRITER July 03, 2013; 05:08 PM

The Riverside County Transportation Commission has announced the sale of bonds to pay for the construction, operation, and maintenance of the project.

The funding ensures that work on the highway widening and new toll lanes in Corona will begin by the end of the year, even as land acquisition along the highway continues. Completion is set for 2017.

The project will add at least two lanes of capacity to the 91 at its most congested points through Corona. Toll lanes will be connected in a way that will take commuters traveling north on Interstate 15 directly to the toll lanes.

In addition, funding will rebuild seven interchanges and improve access from local streets to on- and offramps.

The area is considered one of the nation’s busiest freeway corridors and the project will be the most significant improvement to the route in decades, said John Standiford, deputy director of the commission.
http://www.pe.com/local-news/riversi...-expansion.ece
saiholmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #1691
saiholmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

California seeks to break freight bottleneck
Posted by Todd Solomon
Devore Interchange project latest in DOT support to improve freight movement

California's Devore Interchange is a critical freight link serving 21,000 trucks each day. It links Interstates 15 and 215; and it connects freight traffic from the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach with critical points east. It also carries more than one million drivers per week and can back up as far as five miles due to excess volume.

A bottleneck like that doesn't just slow down San Bernardino County; it slows down our nation's economy. And that's why we're pleased to see that California has broken ground on a modernized Devore Interchange that will relieve freight congestion through this critical corridor.

Deputy Federal Highway Administrator Greg Nadeau was on hand to help state and local officials celebrate the start of this important project.

As part of the Devore project, the I-15/I-215 interchange and adjacent interchanges will be reconfigured with an added lane in each direction. And, in addition to the new general traffic lanes, the project will also include a truck bypass lane in each direction that will further improve safety and reduce congestion for commercial vehicles as well as passenger cars.
https://www.dot.gov/fastlane/califor...ght-bottleneck
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #1692
vidgms

Likes (Received): 3

More freeways, nice....

www.twitter.com/andrew_nicely
vidgms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #1693
GatsbyGatz

I drive this freeway everyday. It's already under construction, why is this news?

It truly is a terrible freeway full of congestion. I wish freight were shipped more by rails because trucks overcrowd this freeway.
Old July 10th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1694
unmentioned

Major changes with an unknown purpose afoot at the old Harris-Gottschalks-Forever21 department store shell at Riverside Plaza.

I walked around the entire site and couldn't find any construction permits or notices of any kind. I imagine they're kept in the center's management office, but I have no idea where that's hidden. I'm pretty sure that, by law, permits must be available for review by the public.

I also scoured the city's online Planning and Building permit databases, and there's nothing reflecting this project for the address (3635 Riverside Plaza Drive). However, the city clerk's office has been reeeeally bad about posting even the regular Planning Commission meeting agendas online lately, so that is not surprising.

These structural elements are a bit strange too, I'm having a hard time visualizing what they might turn out to be:

Forever 21 is also opening a new, smaller location in the former Borders space. I like the new exterior paint color.

ADDITIONALLY

Across the street, a new independent coffee shop, Flight, looks set to open soon. I really like their branding design, and the reclaimed wood is a nice touch (albeit a little strange for this area. Very... New Brooklyn).

Too bad they aren't open yet. It was hot as sh!t yesterday and I would have loved to stop in for a giant iced coffee.
Old July 11th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #1695
GatsbyGatz

The bookstore owner of Renaissance Books nearby told me that IKEA was planning on moving in to that property, although I've heard from other sources that a Nordstrom Rack is opening in that location.

Either of the two would be great, although I think IKEA would be a huge success and serve pretty much the entire Inland Empire.
Old July 11th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #1696
unmentioned

The building occupies about half the area of a standard Ikea store, and if my experience with Ikeas in several parts of the country is any indicator, the vertically integrated parking/shipping/receiving ground-warehouse first-showroom second level arrangement is consistent. Unless they're planning on unveiling a smaller format, Ikea seems unlikely.

Nordstrom Rack, on the other hand, I could see. Smaller footprint, more flexible layout.

Personally I think Riverside is sorely lacking a Whole Foods... this space is a little big for a grocery store, sure, but I think it's the perfect area for one.
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #1697
unmentioned

PRESS-ENTERPRISE: Perris Valley Line: $3 millions settlement reached with environmental group

By Dave Downey | July 10, 2013

A local environmental group has agreed to drop a lawsuit blocking a $237 million commuter rail extension from Riverside to Perris, in exchange for $3 million in concessions, officials said Wednesday, July 10.

The Riverside County Transportation Commission’s chief announced the Perris Valley Line deal with Friends of Riverside’s Hills at Wednesday’s commission meeting.

“The settlement agreement will allow us to move forward with the project,” Executive Director Anne Mayer said.

John Standiford, deputy executive director, said construction on the addition to Metrolink’s six-county system likely will begin in late summer or fall, after the agency secures final approval for a $75 million federal grant and the suit is withdrawn. With the work expected to take 15 months, the line could open in early 2015.

The commission selected Ames Construction of Corona in February to do the work for a maximum of $148.2 million.

The 24-mile line, following Interstate 215 much of the way, is to have stops in north Riverside, at March Air Reserve Base, in central Perris and near the Perris-Menifee border. Trains are expected to give 4,000 rides a day.

“This is one of my happiest moments as a public servant,” said Riverside County Supervisor Marion Ashley, in an interview following the meeting. “This project is really important to all of western Riverside County, but particularly to Moreno Valley, Perris and Menifee.”

Ashley represents those three cities on the county governing board and serves as transportation commissioner.

“This is going to clean the air. It’s going to get cars off the road,” he said.

He said trains will provide access to jobs for families with one car -- or no car -- in low-income, high-unemployment neighborhoods.

“There is an economic social justice aspect of this that may not have been appreciated as much as it should have been,” Ashley said.
But first it has to be built.

The project was about ready to begin construction when a Riverside judge invalidated portions of the project’s environmental impact report. That was result of a lawsuit Friends of Riverside’s Hills filed in August 2011.

On May 14, Riverside Superior Court Judge Sharon J. Waters ordered the regional body to set aside its approval, potentially jeopardizing the $75 million in federal funding. That triggered serious negotiations between the warring sides in recent weeks.

“It wasn’t our intention to delay the project,” said Len Nunney, group secretary, in a telephone interview. “Our intention was to improve it. And the settlement does that.”

The agreement calls for nearly $3 million in concessions.

The commission agreed to establish a $1,005,000 fund that homeowners living near the tracks, in the vicinity of UC Riverside, may tap to lower the volume of passing trains. Homeowners can apply for up to $15,000 per residence for window treatments and up to $500 for trees and shrubs.

In addition, the commission promised to install a rubber material beneath tracks to reduce noise and vibration, at a cost of $132,000.
Besides addressing sound concerns, the commission agreed to establish a $900,000 land conservation fund to be used to establish trails nearby or purchase open space.

And the commission agreed to provide $650,000 for bicycle and foot trails in the north Riverside area.

Finally, the settlement allocates $250,000 to Temecula lawyer Ray Johnson, who represented the group.

The deal sets a two-year limit for homeowners to apply for sound relief and for spending the $650,000 in trail money. Unused amounts are to be deposited in the land conservation fund.

Friends of Riverside’s Hills didn’t get everything they wanted.

In a June meeting with the Press-Enterprise editorial board, group leaders said they wanted an automatic shut-off valve installed on a jet fuel pipeline that crosses tracks, to prevent spills. Instead, the commission pledged to work with pipeline operator Kinder-Morgan to provide details on existing plans to shut down the line in emergencies.

Group leaders said they wanted underpasses built for informal hiking trails -- including a popular route to the gold “C” that looks down on Riverside. They won’t get that, either.

But Mayer said the commission will allow another agency to build a tunnel later, if one should pursue such a project. And transportation officials won’t put anything in hikers’ way.

“We’re not planning on fencing them off,” Mayer said.

POSTER NOTE: This is exemplary of why CEQA needs reform. Friends of Riverside's Hills are not an environmental group, they're an anti-development group. But in a classic example of CEQA extortion, they hijack the environmental review process to obtain concessions from the public for their pet causes.

The CEQA reform currently in the state assembly specifically prohibits these kinds of actions. Expanded transit service serves the aims of the California Environmental Quality Act, as Supervisor Ashley points out when he says it reduces air pollution and traffic congestion and promotes environmental and social justice, extending transit options to the socioeconomically disenfranchised.
Old July 12th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #1698
GatsbyGatz

Metrolink is quite costly, though. For example, a 10 minute trip from Downtown Riverside to the La Sierra Station in Riverside is $6 one way, $12 round trip! From Downtown Riverside to LA Union Station is $13.25 one way, $26.50 round trip! Rail transportation is just so pricey in SoCal...
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #1699
unmentioned

Not as costly as purchasing, owning, maintaining, and operating a car, that's for sure. Especially for one-car households whose non-motoring members have occasional trips to make.

In any case, a valuable public good moves closer to reality now that this is out of the way. Shame that it resulted in the public having to spend even more money for it.

Last edited by unmentioned; July 12th, 2013 at 02:16 AM.
unmentioned no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 03:47 AM   #1700
saiholmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sun

Officials: San Bernardino County bus rapid-transit system nearly completed
By Canan Tasci
Posted: 07/10/2013 05:38:35 PM PDT

SAN BERNARDINO -- Construction of a $192 million rapid-transit bus system through 15 miles between San Bernardino to Loma Linda may be completed in a couple months, with service beginning in 2014.
http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_2363687...#ixzz2Yn985MAn

unmentioned liked this post