daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Old July 18th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #281
N.J.
In God We Trust

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly_dood View Post
Don't know about Sweden or the rest of Europe, but Norway does indeed use a yellow centerline. This only applies to two-way traffic on the same strip of pavement; divided highways use all white lines.

Also worth noting is that the Irish usage of yellow edge lines is similar to the American way of doing it, as it keeps yellow always on your left.
Only Norway and Finland uses yellow center line. Sweden as with rest of Europe uses white only. In Sweden you never see any yellow paint.

Yellow center line is 500000 times better than white!!!!

Sponsored Links

Old July 18th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #282
friedrichstrasse

Likes (Received): 1271

In Italy yellow lines are used to mark the special lanes, used for buses or bikes.

friedrichstrasse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #283
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 225

Sweden used to have yellow center lines but changed it when Sweden went from left hand traffic to right hand traffic.
lowenmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #284
N.J.
In God We Trust

^ Wasn't everything painted in yellow? I dislike when pedestrian crosswalks are painted in yellow. I know Switzerland does that. It's good Sweden switched to right side traffic.

It is idiotic that countries do not paint yellow for center divided lines. When I was in Sweden, I was confused and did not know whether it was one or two way street.

Last edited by N.J.; July 18th, 2013 at 10:33 PM.
N.J. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #285
N.J.
In God We Trust

In 1971 the U.S. MUTCD mandated the use of Yellow center divided line for safety and better visibility reason, and far less confusion. Also because Yellow was the standard color for warning signs.
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #286
Nils de Gothia

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.J. View Post
^ Wasn't everything painted in yellow? I dislike when pedestrian crosswalks are painted in yellow. I know Switzerland does that. It's good Sweden switched to right side traffic.

It is idiotic that countries do not paint yellow for center divided lines. When I was in Sweden, I was confused and did not know whether it was one or two way street.
I spent a year in the US 1992-93. I almost found it hilarious how Americans know how terrific everything is in the States, without having seen a bit of the peripheral world. http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2009/11...-to-americans/ Tell me something about accidental rates and traffic casualty rates in the US compared so say, Sweden, where you couldnīt distuinguish one way streets from two-way traffic roads.

The American System in traffic design is to presume that everybody is dumb. The traffic environment and information system has a design which allows you to drive without any knowledge. No wonder, Driverīs Ed is joke. If you happen to do something stupid, a lawsuit will ruin you. Bad luck. But as an American youīre right. Americans, and obviously YOU in particular, certainly is in need of yellow center divided lines.
Nils de Gothia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #287
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 7

As a Norwegian, I've grown up with yellow central divider lines and I actually find them useful. Not because I find it particularly difficult to drive where the lines are white, but the yellow ones are marginally easier to see on winter roads and they also represent an extremely simple, free-of-charge aid to drivers unfamiliar with the given section of road. Again, this is by no means a vital thing and it's certainly to do with habit, but still, I like them and think they're useful.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #288
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 4546

In Brazil Yellow its used to central divider line anjd no parking line.

Example:

But same way its always white.

32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them.

33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that.

35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.

Bible, Saint Luke 6.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:21 AM   #289
Exethalion
GCU Grey Area

Likes (Received): 218

Europe don't need yellow lines because their drivers have good lane discipline.

volodaaaa, Autobahn-mann liked this post
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:41 PM   #290
N.J.
In God We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils de Gothia View Post
I spent a year in the US 1992-93. I almost found it hilarious how Americans know how terrific everything is in the States, without having seen a bit of the peripheral world. http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2009/11...-to-americans/ Tell me something about accidental rates and traffic casualty rates in the US compared so say, Sweden, where you couldnīt distuinguish one way streets from two-way traffic roads.

The American System in traffic design is to presume that everybody is dumb. The traffic environment and information system has a design which allows you to drive without any knowledge. No wonder, Driverīs Ed is joke. If you happen to do something stupid, a lawsuit will ruin you. Bad luck. But as an American youīre right. Americans, and obviously YOU in particular, certainly is in need of yellow center divided lines.
Rest of North and South America, including Thailand, Norway and Finland uses yellow center line... Are they all dumb? Yellow is easier still.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:42 PM   #291
N.J.
In God We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exethalion View Post
Europe don't need yellow lines because their drivers have good lane discipline.
Has nothing to do with having good driver discipline. Don't make it more difficult for people.
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:35 AM   #292
Nexis
Greetings form New Jersey

Likes (Received): 921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils de Gothia View Post

The Northeastern states are rolling out complete streets in most towns and all cities so things are getting more and more complex. There narrowing wider streets and roads with a combination of bike lanes and sidewalks , adding roundabouts about lighter used dangerous intersections , adding tree strips along certain speeding stretches....full barrier railroad intersections , longer pedestrians signals...and a few other misc things which have brought down the accident rate by half in certain areas. Theres been a recent push to accelerate the plans in the wake of some horrific accidents...it seems to be happening for the cities.
Copy and Paste the code from the Photo onto the forum.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #293
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 563

Why to confuse drivers with yellow divider line? Despite of worse visibility in bad weather conditions, it is less visible even at night as well. In most of European countries, yellow lane means stopping and parking restrictions.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #294
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Why to confuse drivers with yellow divider line? Despite of worse visibility in bad weather conditions, it is less visible even at night as well. In most of European countries, yellow lane means stopping and parking restrictions.
I fail to see how a yellow center line is "confusing". White may be marginally more visible at night, but visibility really depends more on how old the paint is than whether it's yellow or white. Yellow is more visible in partially snow covered roads.

In Norway there was a proposal in the late 90s to change to white center line, and the main argument for it was that it would save money (less complexity=cost savings). The proposal was turned down at the political level due to opposition from traffic safety organizations and the general public. The cost thing is really the only valid argument I can see in favor of all white.
suburbicide está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #295
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 4546

At Night

image hosted on flickr

32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them.

33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that.

35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.

Bible, Saint Luke 6.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #296
N.J.
In God We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Are you joking? Yellow is very visible at night!
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #297
N.J.
In God We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post
I fail to see how a yellow center line is "confusing". White may be marginally more visible at night, but visibility really depends more on how old the paint is than whether it's yellow or white. Yellow is more visible in partially snow covered roads.

In Norway there was a proposal in the late 90s to change to white center line, and the main argument for it was that it would save money (less complexity=cost savings). The proposal was turned down at the political level due to opposition from traffic safety organizations and the general public. The cost thing is really the only valid argument I can see in favor of all white.
Why would Norway switch to white? So crazy, idiotic and confusing.
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #298
ed110220

Quote:
Why would Norway switch to white? So crazy, idiotic and confusing.
Maybe to match Sweden? I don't think anyone who isn't used to yellow finds white confusing. I've never heard of anyone finding white confusing. Many things confused me when learning to drive - the colour of the road marking wasn't one of them.

Wapper liked this post
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #299
ed110220

Quote:

One would assume a street was two way unless there were signs saying one way... Personally I find yellow centre dividing lines look a little bit odd and unappealing visually. That's just because I'm not used to them.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #300
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
in Italy sometimes appear yellow lines even without special situations. check out the picture
This because in Italy made the things in the worst way...
In Italy the yellow line indicated road words (same than rest EU nations), or reserved lane... In this photo there was a road work that was finished but at the end wasn't replaced the line with white...
However, in the old italian Highway code (1957-1992) yellow line was used to limited the border of the road (now white), and there wasn't line for road works (introduced with new highway code of 1992)
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote