daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Old March 10th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #161
big-dog

Likes (Received): 4075

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
When does line 6 open?
Line 6 phase I will open in December 2013.

Highcliff liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 25th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #162
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 601

Xunfenggang Station - future terminus of Line 6

source: http://gz.fangdr.com/news/201303/1363245508823.html

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:36 AM   #163
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 601

Some photos from a russophone blog called "Satan's Journal":
http://ru-travel.livejournal.com/24769898.html

big-dog, Highcliff, n20 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:10 AM   #164
saiho

Likes (Received): 282

What's with Guangzhou? metro expansion seems a bit slow... for a Chinese city. Wasn't line 7 and 13 supposed to finish by 2015? Its 2013 and they still have yet to start construction.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #165
dandmcd

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
What's with Guangzhou? metro expansion seems a bit slow... for a Chinese city. Wasn't line 7 and 13 supposed to finish by 2015? Its 2013 and they still have yet to start construction.
Line 7 has been started in some locations. It is a little slow, but actually I believe it is one of the easier lines to build.

Line 13 is the one to be worried about. I have no idea why they continue to be so slow with this line, and reading the Ditiezu forums, the Chinese have no idea either. I really want that Dongguan connection, so I really do hope they get moving.

The last few years have been really slow, but it seems they are putting in a realistic plan to make progress by 2016.

By 2016:
Line 3 Baiyun North station
Phase 2 Line 6
Line 7
Line 8 extension
Line 9

Goal is before 2016, but not fully realistic:
Line 4 extension
Line 13
Line 14
Line 21

Probably will be scrapped or modified heavily with a very late completion by 2020:
Line 11

The Ministry is usually quick to approve these projects once the EIA reports are completed so if they can find workers, I think this schedule is doable. The eastward expansion is most important to the city to relieve pressure of further urbanization on the center of the city, so I see 4, 14 and 21 hitting their target dates. My guess is Line 11 might be pushed back or delayed because of how complicated and expensive it is to build.

Line 6 is sorely needed for some hard to reach locations, but will likely be overcapacity on day 1, which will just create more bottlenecks in the system. Line 6 only is running 4 trains, and the timetables are completely unrealistic during rush hours. Line 6 was designed to be completed years ago before there was a housing development boom, so expected ridership has nearly doubled compared to the original documents. Honestly, I think Line 6 is only going to make things worse, even if it adds some convenience for it's Yuexiu District stops along the Pearl River.. The city center badly needs the proposed line 10 but it is still only in the long-term plan. All the new lines are bringing more people into the center, instead of spreading them out because development is slow outside of the center districts. Line 10, 12, and 13 west extension are much more important than line 11, 14 and 21, but the guys with the big pocket books are helping fund their project ghost cities with a guaranteed subway line.

Last edited by dandmcd; April 5th, 2013 at 02:15 AM.
dandmcd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #166
maldini

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
What was the annual ridership for 2012?

Guangzhou metro had 1.64 billion riders in 2011 and New York had 1.644 billion so Guangzhou should have overtaken it by now I think.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_s...assenger_rides

Guangzhou Metro (including FMetro) 1.825 billion in 2012
New York City Subway 1.665 billion in 2012

Last edited by maldini; April 5th, 2013 at 01:54 AM.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #167
dandmcd

Couple quick updates for those who keep track...

Line 13 is now under construction. Many sites have become enclosed construction, and equipment is being moved onsite. It really seems to be moving along, now that work on Line 6 is becoming more cosmetic and electrical and less engineering now.

The tunnel on Line 6 Phase 1 is fully completed as of today. They should have no problem making their opening date, which currently is Dec 31st this year. In fact, barring no demolition issues on the construction in Shahe station, they could likely be ready by October. Shahe will not be opening with the first phase, and another station, Yide Lu may not be ready in time and will open a few weeks late, or a couple months after the opening, but they are not slowing down progress in anyway which is excellent news. Both will be fly stations till they are ready.

This link goes to Ditiezu, okczhaha has a nice photo update of a few Line 6 stations, all in Chinese of course. You may need to login or create an account, but I don't have permission to post the photos here.

Norge78, Highcliff liked this post
Old July 24th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #168
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 22301

I'm in Guangzhou, finally. Currently in a train on line 3. Didn't know the distances between stations are so long! Sometimes it takes up to 8-10 minutes, and the train runs fast.

My trips:
Annecy JUL'2011 | Lausanne JUL'2011 | Paris JUL'11 | Xitang DEC'11 | Latvia MAY'12 | Beijing WIN'12/13 | Canazei ecc MAR/APR'13 | Shanghai SUM'13 | Hangzhou SUM'13 | Hong-Kong JUL'13 | Dubai SUM'13

big-dog, Highcliff liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #169
silent_dragon
What a wonderful world

Likes (Received): 44

4-car trains? It sound like a suburban train. I wonder what were the planners were thinking? Maybe the design was completed 10 years ago. It should be made into 8 or 10 car train while it is still under construction. It will be more costly in the future to expand the subway stations to accomodate longer trains.
silent_dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #170
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_dragon View Post
4-car trains? It sound like a suburban train. I wonder what were the planners were thinking? Maybe the design was completed 10 years ago. It should be made into 8 or 10 car train while it is still under construction. It will be more costly in the future to expand the subway stations to accomodate longer trains.
What are you talking about? The only "metro" line that uses four car train is Line 4 which is essentially a suburban rail line (along with Guangzhou-Foshan line).
Old July 25th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #171
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
What are you talking about? The only "metro" line that uses four car train is Line 4 which is essentially a suburban rail line (along with Guangzhou-Foshan line).
He is referring to Line 6 which can only support 4 car BL size trains (B size loading gauges but shorter ~17m per car. Line 6 will run through some really dense central urban neighborhoods so it will be over capacity from day one. They should have built it to 8 cars like the Toei Oedo line since they both use similar technology from the same manufacturer.
Old July 25th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #172
_Night City Dream_

I liked APM line yesterday much.

My trips:
Annecy JUL'2011 | Lausanne JUL'2011 | Paris JUL'11 | Xitang DEC'11 | Latvia MAY'12 | Beijing WIN'12/13 | Canazei ecc MAR/APR'13 | Shanghai SUM'13 | Hangzhou SUM'13 | Hong-Kong JUL'13 | Dubai SUM'13

Old July 25th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #173
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen a Metro station in China like this. It looks so different, it's not in the same style as pretty much every other station. Exposed concrete, darker tones, not the usual basic layout etc.

I like it! Great to see some varying architecture. Metro stations in China always look the same with only slight decorating differences.
Old July 25th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #174
silent_dragon
What a wonderful world

I even thought the station is under construction. Or is it?
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #175
_Night City Dream_

Don't forget that this is not a platform. And the upper decks may really vary, I've seen different ones.

My trips:
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #176
mike_feng90
Michael Feng

Likes (Received): 13

Line 6

Are the stations along Line 6 (the ones to open year-end) designed to handle 6-cars? It seems a little longer for just 4-car trains. Are they increasing it to 6 later on?
mike_feng90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #177
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_feng90 View Post
Are the stations along Line 6 (the ones to open year-end) designed to handle 6-cars? It seems a little longer for just 4-car trains. Are they increasing it to 6 later on?
Yes only 4 cars
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:47 AM   #178
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 298

I have heard that Line 9 should be completed very soon and everyday I go through a lot of streets and I see all kinds of subway construction nearly 24/7.
Puppetgeneral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:50 PM   #179
silent_dragon
What a wonderful world

Are there any plans to extend line 8 to line 9? It seems logical, maybe intersect at GuangZhou North Railway Station.
Old July 31st, 2013, 05:45 PM   #180
dandmcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_feng90 View Post
Nope, they were not built to ever handle more cars. This line was planned long before the Jinshazhou area blew up with population, and I believe even before the massive Line 3 failure of having 3 car trains. Phase 2 of Line 6 however is designed for 6 cars. It doesn't make a bit of sense, but the city was a bit reckless in allowing Jinshazhou Island to grow so quickly knowing they don't have enough bridges and only a future planned small-scale subway line. A lot of people had a great idea to buy houses in Jinshazhou thinking it would be a great place to live on the island, and an easy commute to and from work in Tianhe or Yuexiu District. Problem was, far too many people thought the same great idea!

The government and media has already warned the GZ Metro to be prepared and be planning a backup plan for if forecasters are indeed correct and this line is not well equipped to handle the load. I would imagine they will come up with something, and I'm sure whatever it is it won't come cheap.

Tags
china, guangzhou, metro, subway, transit