daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Old July 16th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #6181
China Hand

Likes (Received): 148

Traveler's tip:
Shanghai is always very crowded near the entrance, far side of this photo.

For more room and shorter food lines, go to the far side of the station up on the mezzanine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
It turned out that G128 stopped at 7 stations and G3 stopped at one (Nanjing South) on the trip.

G128 Shanghai Hongqiao to Beijing South

China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 19th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #6182
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 5610

image hosted on flickr

800px-Beijing_South_Station by anshanjohn, on Flickr

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #6183
luhai

Likes (Received): 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Hand View Post
Traveler's tip:
Shanghai is always very crowded near the entrance, far side of this photo.

For more room and shorter food lines, go to the far side of the station up on the mezzanine.
proof that people are lazy and don't want to walk far. Perhaps a reason to have entrances on both sizes to distribute the load.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 06:06 AM   #6184
big-dog

Likes (Received): 4180

Taxi drop off spot is in the middle near the rear side, that's why I end up walking and taking photo at the far end. And the platform gate is evenly placed so it shouldn't be that much difference. Maybe it's because subway is located at the other side. I believe an end to end conveyor belt will help.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #6185
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhai View Post
proof that people are lazy and don't want to walk far. Perhaps a reason to have entrances on both sizes to distribute the load.
It's actually a failure in design concept to persuade people to move in further to make room for other people to enter.
Simple trick like difference in air distribution and/or placing visual stimulants like water fountains can make a difference in making people move to a desired direction.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #6186
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
Simple trick like difference in air distribution and/or placing visual stimulants like water fountains can make a difference in making people move to a desired direction.
Exactly, or placing screens with arrival/departure information at the far sides as well, so people won't be afraid that if they go sit at the far side, they'll miss their train (i've had this where my train at the last moment switched platforms, and if I hadn't been right at the center looking at the screens paying close attention, I would have missed my train).
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #6187
gnatho

Likes (Received): 2

Finally a decent connection between Hangzhou (Zhejiang) and Zhengzhou (Henan). High-speed train D272 will depart from Hangzhou East at 7:07 am and arrive in Zhengzhou at 13:57. The quickest route between the two cities was over 13 hours (T112)
gnatho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 03:04 AM   #6188
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
It's actually a failure in design concept to persuade people to move in further to make room for other people to enter.
This

There's a lot of thought in urban deign that goes into controlling the flow of people. Clearly something went wrong here as half the station is deserted
Old July 21st, 2013, 05:12 AM   #6189
xinxingren

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post

Clearly something went wrong here as half the station is deserted
It's the Chinese love of crowds, there's just no urgency to spread out and fill the available space
xinxingren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 07:12 AM   #6190
big-dog

Likes (Received): 4180

The imbalance is not that bad if you were there. One picture cannot give the truth. The next hour when more trains depart from this side it'll be a different scene. I remember I was in the KFC at the "deserted" side and it was pretty crowded (McDonald's is at the other side).

Here're a couple of more pictures I took at the less crowded side,

big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 08:20 AM   #6191
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatho View Post
Finally a decent connection between Hangzhou (Zhejiang) and Zhengzhou (Henan). High-speed train D272 will depart from Hangzhou East at 7:07 am and arrive in Zhengzhou at 13:57. The quickest route between the two cities was over 13 hours (T112)
For some reason, via Xuzhou - meaning slow speed railway between Xuzhou and Zhengzhou, not via Wuhan which is high speed all along.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 05:48 PM   #6192
gnatho

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
For some reason, via Xuzhou - meaning slow speed railway between Xuzhou and Zhengzhou, not via Wuhan which is high speed all along.
Well, I guess the route via Xuzhou is the only reasonable connection. HZ - WH - ZZ is 1341 km and HZ - XZ - ZZ only 951 km. Plus, Xuzhou-Wuhan is a "low high-speed" route, you'll see a lot of D-trains there.
gnatho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:18 AM   #6193
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 198

Urumqi line:

Workers on new 1,776-km rail link no strangers to tough conditions, reports Cui Jia in Urumqi.

Construction teams work at night to avoid the intense daytime heat that causes the water in the concrete mix to evaporate too rapidly.

China's first windproof railway tunnel, in the Shisanjianfang district of Hami, where the winds are fierce and gales occur on more than 250 days of the year.

CP11, Munwon, Peloso, Surel, big-dog and 2 others liked this post
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 07:02 AM   #6194
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 262

Those wind barriers are quite amazing, the horror stories of old trains being blasted by sand storms should not be repeated.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:13 PM   #6195
Peloso

Likes (Received): 143

Mighty interesting pics... China-Europe link in its infancy.
Old July 24th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #6196
xinxingren

Likes (Received): 36

12306.cn has reorganised its notices page and lost many previous to last week, but there were warnings of train cancellations on the Urumqi line due to excessive wind, about 2 weeks ago.
xinxingren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 03:03 AM   #6197
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 3330

Can anyone give me an advice on traveling on the Guangzhou South to Zhuhai Gongbei? Can I just turn up at the station and expect to get a ticket for the next couple of hours or so (on Sunday)? I did the same from Shenzhen North to Guangzhou a couple of days ago and I couldn't get a ticket for at least next three hours even for the deluxe class. Is the situation any lighter on GZ-Zhuhai or is it better to get a ticket a day in advance?

Norge78 liked this post
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #6198
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 262

Get a ticket a day in advance.
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #6199
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 3330

OK thanks I will do. One thing that strikes me though is the level of stupidity of some of those 'experts' and 'analysts' cited by the likes of WSJ or The Economist. They kinda silenced on the investment in China's HSR system lately but the tirade was going full steam just like a year ago or so.
I mean all it takes is to just try using the transport system to get somewhere in China. Even from Shenzhen to Guangzhou if you like. Even such seemingly developed locations like Shenzhen (including the super cool SZ North station) are seemingly just about managing to cope with the challenges arising from growing demand and load on the transport network. That includes the long distance trains, city public transport and even roads. Everything. If after spending a week in a place and never having got a seat in a metro train or being unable to get a Deluxe class train ticket for the next half of a day is normal then, if anything, China needs to speed up investment in transport, not slow it. I mean what a completely idiotic and retarded position it is to even consider an idea that China is building too much transport. It strikes me that those reputable newspapers and magazines publish such nonsense on a regular basis as if it was a legitimate position.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #6200
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 218

RIght, because that's a logical argument for anyone to make...
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed rail