daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Old July 24th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #21
Somnifor
Chef beyond the wall

Likes (Received): 543

If you define hipster as a creative/bohemian community that operates outside of traditional social norms I would say this is a short and possibly incomplete list of major cities that have large populations like that in the US:

Established:
Portland
Minneapolis
New Orleans
LA*
Chicago*

On the rise:
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Richmond

Declining due to gentrification/culture change:
New York
San Francisco
Seattle
Austin
Boston

*In both cases this isn't something that defines the city but exists because they are so large.

Last edited by Somnifor; July 24th, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 24th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #22
Somnifor
Chef beyond the wall

Likes (Received): 543

I do a lot of street photography so I have accumulated a lot of photographs of the countercultural side of Minneapolis. It seems to perpetually fly under the radar but it was the only city in the US where punk and post punk became mainstream in the 80s, it then had a big rave period in the early 90s that morphed into hip hop. Today draws on all of those influences.

image hosted on flickr

mplsjun201240 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsjun201237 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsmar201298b by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsmar201243 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsdec2010128 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsdec2010143 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsjuly2011250 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsjuly2011252b (2) by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsjuly2011258 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsjuly2011260b by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplssept201140 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsmay2011115 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsmay2011153 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsjune201117 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsmar201109 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsmar2011149 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

ex2 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsfeb201107 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsdec201079 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsdec201087 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsdec201090 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsdec201092 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsmar201299b by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsdec201206 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsdec201207 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsmay2011124 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsjune201109 by afsmps, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

mplsjune201110 by afsmps, on Flickr

Last edited by Somnifor; July 24th, 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #23
zaphod

Likes (Received): 175

My only concern as a 25 year old looking for a good job is, does having a lot of other young people around represent more competition? Especially since hipsters often live in cities for their lifestyle, they will take jobs they are overqualified for. That would drive down wages even more. Then again it could be large amount of options that makes the population skew so young in the first place, so it could be a positive thing as well.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:18 PM   #24
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru.mircea View Post

I adored Amsterdam and I think it's great to live in a city where the unconventional and the creative have become the norm, but in such environments being a hipster is not anymore being different and it's not a tough life decision (you're not going against something) - i.e. it's not really hipster. On the contrary, there's the danger of too much of wacky haircuts with assorted hats, beards, tight jeans and "vintage" bikes, when it becomes just an obnoxious wankfest.
That's exactly what hipsters are.

I think your description of Bucharest sounds more like 90s style alternative, which is more substantial and less superficial than the hipster phenomenon. That was based more on counter-culture, living and thinking differently to the mainstream, and on being actually alienated or disenfranchised from mainstream society. much music from this time dealt with angst, self-hatred, isolation, depression etc - whereas hipster music has much less emotional affect, much less vulnerability, and is about empowerment, control, celebration and "coolness".

hipsters in the late 90s looked exactly the same as their alternative counterparts, but had a very different outlook. Whereas the alternative youth purposefully tried to avoid mainstream norms, hipsters try to shape them. it's also a pejorative term, and actual hipsters like to think they are nothing of the sort - but they are.

They are the capitalist youth vanguard movement - co-opting, appropriating, and re-packaging obsolete or kitsch styles for the mainstream. Which is why there has to be a constant cycle of styles and products getting trendy, popular, then mainstream, at which point hipsters must disavow the style and move on to the next trend - keeping the cycle moving. London now has corporate coffee shops that look exactly like the independents and serve the same coffee, but which are owned by multi-national retailer Tesco. that's the hipster cycle in a a microcosm.

But thankfully the hipster is now largely dead as it was a cultural expression of an economic ideology that is now defunct. Kids who look like hipsters nowadays - hanging around Brick Lane on a weekend - are just normal, mainstream kids who shop at Topshop, H&M, Asos and so on.

With intense economic and social problems in the west young people who would have otherwise been hipsters are now once again becoming a bit more alternative and less superficial. As spliff fairy says, the styles, looks and attitudes in London's shabby suburbs are less intensely fashion-focused now and people are becoming more involved in substantive social and political movements, or like in Portland for example, helping start artisanal businesses. Overall I think we're seeing more organic, authentic styles coming back - rather than the superficial, exploitative hipster route of the 2000s.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:03 AM   #25
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 2576

^ A good post but I diverge in that I won't go hard on the hipster phenomenon, which may now be shallow and superficial to a great extent, but...

First, I still like the idea of the hipster phenomenon in itself. A niche inside a niche, a subcurrent meant to confront the alternative culture as it was during the process of becoming mainstream (which soon completed). It meant creating a dresscode that seemed counter-intuitive even for the other alternatives (like dressing like rednecks in the grunge days, or dressing in the '80s style when it was still considered horrific, in the late '90s / early noughties), being confrontational on tastes (to the alternative telling you he/she likes The Stone Roses, Nirvana, Blur, Radiohead, The White Stripes etc. you'd reply with those kind of bands that nowadays get 20-30 ratings for their albums on RateYourMusic) and it really envisioned a lifestyle that is truly different.

Secondly yes it did itself eventually become mainstream and all the attire and the paraphernalia has become somewhat tiring, but it's still a phenomenon (even if more shallow and superficial now) that is centred around values that I approve of, such as educating one's tastes and developing one's personal style, reading good books in brick and mortar bookstores and listening to good music in disc shops and proper local venues, being creative and trying to preserve artisan culture, trying to be environmentally aware etc... Hey I love people to be mainstream and superficial around these values!* I never really understood all the hate, myself I preserve my scorn for other people such as those who want to prevent diversity happening, those who "troll" others' beliefs, those who will take pride (and action) that the women in their families will never in their lives do anything on their own etc. Those are cultures and subcultures that I want rid off.

* besides those who adhere only superficially to such values there are also those who aren't even aware of them, they just go for the hat+beard+bike combination because hey, that's what the girls seem to like. I'm not even taking these people into account, they always exist at the periphery of all cultural currents and movements.

Coming back to cities, Bucharest hipsters are just that, hipsters, they have discovered the hipster lifestyle recently (I would say mid-noughties at best) when it was already a mainstream youth fashion and they want to emulate it as such, it just happens that in Bucharest they will be a minority in a very different environment (including their own age group, income or education group etc) which makes them much more genuinely alternative.
I've just been to Marseille and was really impressed by it in terms of hipster culture, I found it very authentic in what is a place overwhelmingly un-comfortable non-typical city for a Western hipster. Basically a quintessential immigration hotspot, quite a lot of decay and rubbish, an agitated and tiring place, plus the scorching heat. But also (essentially) cheap and offering in terms of opportunities for creative people. Overall a very endearing place. There are quite a lot of artists living there and the cultural infrastructure is surprisingly developed (at least compared to the impression and expectation the city gives you at street level). The best place for the arty side is La Friche du Belle du Mai, a large former industrial site (tobacco factory) that was reconverted into an artistic colony, with about 70 permanent residences, exhibition spaces, concert venue, restaurant and bar, bookshop etc. Wonderful place, if based on a rough aesthetic. More in the city centre there's the other place I'd highlight, Cours Julien square, which hosts bookshops, music shops, associations etc. and a vast number of restaurants with great food. The alleys and lanes around it are filled with wonderful street-art. Ah and also thirdly there's Le Panier, the oldest neighbourhood, where the designer boutiques are and where the youngsters seem to prefer staying. I'll return with some pics.

Oh FFS they changed Flickr AGAIN...

Dimethyltryptamine, mckeenan liked this post

Last edited by alexandru.mircea; August 2nd, 2013 at 03:32 AM.
alexandru.mircea está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 06:58 AM   #26
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 4265

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
LONDON.... Dont forget the city gave birth to it all with ......
What a pile of rubbish. Why are Brits so self-absorbed? Next they'll inform us all that they invented oxygen. If hipster means full of yourself, perhaps you did invent it.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Tiaren liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:04 PM   #27
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 12167

Anyway...

Stereotypically the East End (Shoreditch/Hoxton area):

-
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:13 PM   #28
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 4950

There is nothing more lame than people trying far too hard to be noticeably cool, making sure they don't hang out in districts that stopped being considered fashionable two weeks ago etc.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:29 PM   #29
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 1818

Do remember 'hipster' is a US moniker, since taken on by the internetz. In UK/ London epsecially 'hipster' didn't fit to anything, it's just the usual subculture crew going strong since the 80s, 'uglifying' themselves (the New Ugly) in fashion, whether theyre punk, romo, 70s retro in the mid nineties, or 80s retro from the late 90s onward. I remember the term 'hipster' all over the net sounding so anachronistic to it all.

Second hand clothes stalls sourced from around the world 1982, Camden Market

(16 of these stalls later morphing into the fashion label Red or Dead).

short-lived New Romantics movement 1979-81. They were all about sourcing clothes from other times/ places and using shock effect - ending up worshipping fashion.

1985 - Taboo club scene

Leigh Bowery and his creations - the face and costume of the bizarro scene starting in 1984

Then the rest is history - the subculture fashions went into rave/ acid house by the late 80s, and started to enter popular culture. It was all about self style and creating your own looks, and ultimately, movements fueled by psychedelic new drugs such as ecstasy. The louder, the better:

Ravers, 1987 -89

It was followed by a flowering of different styles across the board in myriad urban tribes - 70s retro, nu age, military, cyberpunk/ club kids all by the mid 90s (sold by the vast Portobello and Camden markets), then 80s and 50s retro by the late 90s (Spitalfields and Brick Lane markets). It was all about Found Items, recycling and making your own. At the same time the birth of the superclubs from dirty warehouse nights (pictured) marked the change to mass appeal. Working class kids saved up for the collection of British promoters colonising a boring family resort called Ibiza, and labels such as Cream and Ministry of Sound began selling abroad:

By 1995 subculture had grown into the mainstream for many of the young, not just isolated movements. Over 100,000 people were visiting Camden market daily making it the city's largest 'attraction' shortly followed by Portobello's second hand clothes stalls. Half a million people were clubbing in London a night at it's height, necking 1 million XTC tabs each week. -Despite all the crime, ugliness and poverty London started gaining the moniker of the 'coolest city', due to the influx and huge numbers of creatives (Young British Artists or YBA's moving the global scene to the city), DJing becoming the country's number 1 hobby and leisure activity, with a million professionals operating in the country and the world's first university courses. It was all about mixing n matching, and ethnic clothing, lifestyle and ideas - tribalism. I remember making the decision to dress as my race and national costume, as 'self-style' (that and walking down the street after school in my dad's chocolate 70s suit and bright turquoise shirt). Cringe-worthy now. This was the mid nineties - the height of Indian face piercings, Jamaican dreads and Chinese tattoos.

By 1997 New Labour were using 'Cool Britannia' as a political brand - the beginning of the end. The impoverished East End became the largest concentration of artists in the world, who began daubing the place in their street art, while Soho, the old sex district, started seeing 500,000 partiers a night, and doubling on weekends.

The hipster moniker that came by the Millennium didnt really make sense - 'being 'hipster' was just another subculture already happening, and already mainstream. The only real difference being 'hipster' these days and from the subcultures before is that people are more middle / upper class and creative class too. The 90s movements tended to be working class, but the romos and bizarros stand out in the 80s for being more akin to today's followers. Today, going by fashions - everyone young dresses like a hipster and all the High Street chains sell that clothing whether it's 90s or 40s retro - they dont need to be a sound artist, or shop in second hand stores, or have a passion for Korean New wave cinema. They're not 'hipsters, theyre 'the young'.

UK's biggest high street chainstores for the young - cheap, fashionable and a turnover of style every month thanks to student designers. The saturation of the UK market - popularly known as 'Treasure Island' among multinationals - in fast-change youth clothing (read: hipster clothing), for men alone is about the same as all the Gap's (which would definitely not be included in that category), Macy's, and Apple stores combined in the US. If including the 4 most fashionable young female chains it would far outrank Burger King or 7-11 in the US in number of equivalent stores (read: a hipster store for every 4,152 teenagers/ 20 something's).

The ubiquitous men's stores on every high street:

http://www.topman.com/en/tmuk/catego...egoryId=207183

http://www.riverisland.com/men (try and pick the UK site)

In short after all this progression 'hipsters' are fully mainstream, and at saturation point for the young.

Of course all this differs from the subcultures elsewhere eg the 80s hillbillies and '90s cyber-fruits in Tokyo.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; September 14th, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #30
Black Box
Black Box

Likes (Received): 82

And then there are the other hipsters..... Yupsters. Seattle is still full of hipsters, of which more are yupster than hippiester hipsters. They are working professionals who climb the corporate ladder in style. Some website described a yupster as someone who has jeans that cost more than their iPod and coffee that costs more than their t-shirt. Of course this is just an analogy, but it makes some sense. Ten or fifteen years ago, Williamsburg would have been just hipster, but it's yupster now. Bushwick is hipster, but it's more hippiester. San Francisco, yupster. Portland, hippiester. All hipsters, but different kinds of hipsters.

CNB30 liked this post
Black Box no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 06:33 AM   #31
kevi

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
What a pile of rubbish. Why are Brits so self-absorbed? Next they'll inform us all that they invented oxygen. If hipster means full of yourself, perhaps you did invent it.

World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

True. Although not as self-absorbed as a Canadian who with every post finds it necessary to imply that Canada was the birthplace of the quintessential American sports of football and baseball.
kevi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #32
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Box View Post
And then there are the other hipsters..... Yupsters. Seattle is still full of hipsters, of which more are yupster than hippiester hipsters. They are working professionals who climb the corporate ladder in style. Some website described a yupster as someone who has jeans that cost more than their iPod and coffee that costs more than their t-shirt. Of course this is just an analogy, but it makes some sense. Ten or fifteen years ago, Williamsburg would have been just hipster, but it's yupster now. Bushwick is hipster, but it's more hippiester. San Francisco, yupster. Portland, hippiester. All hipsters, but different kinds of hipsters.
Soho is probably about as yupster as it gets, hipster culture with $8 dollar coffee, and $3 million dollar lofts.

Save Lincoln Park!!!

http://www.preservationchicago.org/c...05/heritage/42
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:28 AM   #33
andwiz

Likes (Received): 10

Bogota, Colombia has some "hipster" neighbourhoods as well, like La Candelaria, Usaquen, Chapinero and La Macarena.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by andwiz; September 2nd, 2013 at 08:57 AM.
andwiz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:35 AM   #34
andwiz

More of Bogota.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

mckeenan liked this post
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM   #35
andwiz

And these are the last ones of Bogota, just because here, pubs are very "hip".

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by andwiz; September 2nd, 2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:11 AM   #36
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
If you define hipster as a creative/bohemian community that operates outside of traditional social norms I would say this is a short and possibly incomplete list of major cities that have large populations like that in the US:

Established:
Portland
Minneapolis
New Orleans
LA*
Chicago*

On the rise:
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Richmond

Declining due to gentrification/culture change:
New York
San Francisco
Seattle
Austin
Boston

*In both cases this isn't something that defines the city but exists because they are so large.
I would say Austin's hipster scene isn't declining, it is just moving into places such as East Austin and other neighborhoods which are less gentrified.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:01 PM   #37
Romashka01

Likes (Received): 2062

Street Fashion in Kyiv (Ukraine)

http://modotopia.blogspot.com
Romashka01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #38
tongue_tied_danny

Likes (Received): 261

The whole hipster thing is laughable these days. Generic as fuck.

I was in Warsaw last week and had a few beers in the Nowy Swiat Pavillions. This is Warsaw's hipster central. There was no individuality on display. They could have been in whatever East London or East Berlin neighbourhood that happens to be cool this week.

Big Tattoos? Check
Piercings? Check
Fixed Gear bikes? Check
Graffiti? Check
Stickers stuck to lamposts? Check
Nose in the air because you think you're hot shit? Check.

It kinda saddens me just how cliched and superficial the counterculture has become.
tongue_tied_danny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #39
mckeenan

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
The whole hipster thing is laughable these days. Generic as fuck.
Have in mind that any social phenomenon of this kind, involving actitude, dressing and apparel, would end spreading certain styling, behavioural patterns or ideas across the whole society (thus, becoming mainsteam). That don't means that all the movement is superficial. I have seen a lot of criticism on hipster movement/culture in other forums, and i can't hardly figure out why the hell so many people find them so annoying. I thinks there's a kind of generational misconception and disagreement. They don't cause any trouble, and, even in the most superficial conception of the thing, they add colour and a lively touch to the cities they live in.
mckeenan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #40
andwiz

Hipsters of Bogota, Colombia.