daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old July 23rd, 2013, 07:29 PM   #4841
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
Here is the email:

And here is the response:
Nothing new here, but the effort to get more news is appreciated. Sounds like Brynn Estelle Telkamp (the broker) may know more than Westlake Center is willing to divulge. I'd follow up and say "Sounds like a good reason to go to Zara, but no reason to go elsewhere in Westlake Center."
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:02 PM   #4842
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 920

What surprised me is the articles even mention the lack of a press release from Westlake, and that is what she linked me to.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:04 PM   #4843
Vashon118
Bus & ferry dude

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasun View Post
Looks like it will be an Opus Bank from the permit info (assuming I have the right address). From their branch map it would be their first branch in Seattle.
It will indeed be an Opus Bank.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/m...le-tacoma.html
Vashon118 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:10 PM   #4844
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
What surprised me is the articles even mention the lack of a press release from Westlake, and that is what she linked me to.
Did she really end her response email "Please let me know if you would like to discuss anything else..."? with the dot dot dot?

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:22 PM   #4845
Capitol Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlelife View Post
Did she really end her response email "Please let me know if you would like to discuss anything else..."? with the dot dot dot?
Here it is:

Quote:
Hi Bryan-

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...kezaraxml.html

http://www.seattlemet.com/style-and-...estlake-center

Please let me know if you would like to discuss anything else...

Sherry Lawson
Sr. General Manager | Westlake Center
General Growth Properties
1601 Fifth Avenue, Suite 610
Seattle, WA 98101
Phone: 206-802-0907
Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:27 PM   #4846
Seasun

Likes (Received): 150

Classic.
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:32 PM   #4847
Capitol Hill

Well, it is a General Growth Property.
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #4848
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 534

I'll speak up on this. My life is all about business communication. At a quick glance, that email looks fine.

Business emails should be professional, but they should also be quick. A manager has to be able to deal with their inbox without futzing for 10 minutes on every little note.

It's important to be friendly, responsive, and clear, with correct spelling. But professional doesn't necessarily mean formal or gramatically perfect. There's nothing wrong with being conversational and informal in most cases. Sentence fragments and "...." are better than the convoluted ways people complete their sentences.
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #4849
cameronrex

Likes (Received): 136

I can't speak for anyone else but my issue was not with the format, which I agree is fine, it's the content. The content of the response shows a lack of interest in the original question asked.

'Here are two old links let me know if you wish to discuss further'.
cameronrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #4850
Capitol Hill

For reference, here is my inquiry:

Quote:
On a development board, we've been talking about all of the construction happening at Westlake Center for Zara. We're rather incredulous that there hasn't been any press release and renderings released. Will these ever be made public prior to construction being completed?

Sincerely,
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #4851
mhays
Journeyman

Makes sense. But here's another truth: You announce things when the involved parties want to, not before. And you do it in a planned, thought out way. The last thing you'd do is announce your plans to some random group of interested people first.

With many projects, the owner has their own PR plan, which is usually about renting a building, or building buzz in advance of a store opening. Any shopping center GM knows that making their new tenants happy is hugely important, and blabbing their new tenant's business is a major faux pas. Retail centers like press too, but they don't want the reputation of blabbing tenant business. Zara presumably has a plan, and what we hear comes from that.
Old July 24th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #4852
cameronrex

Ah well. Agree to disagree. We are a small group do no biggie from the mall owners perspective and I'll still go to Zara. But, IMHO, that response did nothing to further or promote the interests of the mall or its tenants. It reflects the general blah attitude with which the mall as been run practically since its inception.
Old July 24th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #4853
Capitol Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Makes sense. But here's another truth: You announce things when the involved parties want to, not before. And you do it in a planned, thought out way. The last thing you'd do is announce your plans to some random group of interested people first.

With many projects, the owner has their own PR plan, which is usually about renting a building, or building buzz in advance of a store opening. Any shopping center GM knows that making their new tenants happy is hugely important, and blabbing their new tenant's business is a major faux pas. Retail centers like press too, but they don't want the reputation of blabbing tenant business. Zara presumably has a plan, and what we hear comes from that.
I understand all of that, it seems to me that once construction has begun that there wouldn't be too many secrets. I suppose I could always go down to the DPD and look at the plans myself if I wanted as it will be public records.
Old July 24th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #4854
mhays
Journeyman

Retailers will typically manage their PR carefully all the way to opening day, and even past that.
Old July 24th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #4855
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronrex View Post
Ah well. Agree to disagree. We are a small group do no biggie from the mall owners perspective and I'll still go to Zara. But, IMHO, that response did nothing to further or promote the interests of the mall or its tenants. It reflects the general blah attitude with which the mall as been run practically since its inception.
Think of it this way: they're the opposite of Urban Vision. Urban would forecast broad plans and grand ideas - with no product of result. Hate to say, I'd rather this covert crap Westlake is doing so I can't be disappointed!

Capitol Hill liked this post
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #4856
cameronrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityView Jim View Post
Think of it this way: they're the opposite of Urban Vision. Urban would forecast broad plans and grand ideas - with no product of result. Hate to say, I'd rather this covert crap Westlake is doing so I can't be disappointed!
Wouldn't be the first time I've failed to make my point on this board clearly but I don't like being misunderstood. From a PR perspective there are ways to not say anything but also leave a reader or listener excited for more. Apple is masterful at this. This response didn't come off, to me, as covert. It came off as lazy. Anyone walking by the building knows Zara is going in. We don't need to be sent 6 month old press releases that say the same.

When Bellevue Square did its renovation a few years ago it had some mocked up sections and illustrations regarding 'The exciting changes that were being made for YOU the shopper'.

An I missing an underlying tone of excitement? Maybe that's not her job.

Capitol Hill liked this post
Old July 24th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #4857
mhays
Journeyman

Yeah, that's pretty important too.
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #4858
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 278

Is Senior General Manager higher than Supremo Managing Director now? I've lost track.
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #4859
Capitol Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMacherat View Post
Is Senior General Manager higher than Supremo Managing Director now? I've lost track.
That depends on who has the decoder ring.
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #4860
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 212

I have just always used and seen the "..." as a kind of sarcastic, negative, unsure or dismissive tone.

How can I help you?

How can I help you...

Those to me are two very different sentences and tones. Although it's never smart to assume tone in text...

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
seattle