daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #901
kicaj

Likes (Received): 230

UK team designs human mission to Mars

Scientists at Imperial College London have designed a concept mission to land astronauts on Mars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22952441

kicaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 28th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #902
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 352

Hey, now i think about it, for mars one it could be possible to send the rover and communication sattelite at once on the same rocket. That will be cheaper and it is possible.
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #903
Kirov88
Je Maintiendrai

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddorry View Post
Hey, now i think about it, for mars one it could be possible to send the rover and communication sattelite at once on the same rocket. That will be cheaper and it is possible.
Isn't that already pretty common?
Kirov88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #904
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirov88 View Post
Isn't that already pretty common?
I remember the plan was to send them seperate but i could be wrong though.
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:25 PM   #905
bitreaktor

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddorry View Post
they need 4 or 5 sattelites on mars not just one

gps
weather and communication
bitreaktor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:08 PM   #906
kicaj

Quote:

Torpor Inducing Transfer Habitat For Human Stasis To Mars

The idea of suspended animation for interstellar human spaceflight has often been posited as a promising far-term solution for long-duration spaceflight. A means for full cryo-preservation and restoration remains a long way off still. However, recent medical progress is quickly advancing our ability to induce deep sleep states (i.e. torpor) with significantly reduced metabolic rates for humans over extended periods of time. NASA should leverage these advancements for spaceflight as they can potentially eliminate a number of very challenging technical hurdles, reduce the IMLEO for the system, and ultimately enable feasible and sustainable missions to Mars.
SpaceWorks proposes the design of a torpor-inducing Mars transfer habitat and an architectural-level assessment to fully characterize the impact to Mars exploration.
The habitat is envisioned as a very small, pressurized module that is docked around a central node/airlock permitting direct access to the Mars ascent/descent vehicle and Earth entry capsule by the crew. We believe the crew habitat mass can be reduced to only 5-7 mt (for a crew of 4-6), compared to 20-50 mt currently. The total habitat module volume would be on the order of 20 m3, compared to 200 m3 for most current designs.
An end-to-end Mars mission architecture will be evaluated using the new habitat design. For comparison purposes, technology assumptions being used in other ongoing NASA studies will be used. This human-stasis option will then be compared with various Design Reference Architectures (DRAs) to quantify the impact and merits of the approach.
http://www.nasa.gov/content/torpor-i...tasis-to-mars/
Old August 3rd, 2013, 04:21 AM   #907
Сталин
Infractions Record Holder

Likes (Received): 596

New video on the Mars One channel on Youtube.

Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:24 PM   #908
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 88

I am a bit skeptical about the plan to settle man on Mars. It is right we start looking for exo-planets which can support present man kind of life than running after the huge waste Mar surface. The resources can be channeled to look for a more reliable exo-planets. It is just my little observation though.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #909
kicaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity View Post
I am a bit skeptical about the plan to settle man on Mars. It is right we start looking for exo-planets which can support present man kind of life than running after the huge waste Mar surface. The resources can be channeled to look for a more reliable exo-planets. It is just my little observation though.

Even if we find it, habitable exoplanet, how to fly there?
Flight to Mars can be arrange, the flight to another star system does not.
It will take many decades, before we increase technology necessary to such a flight.
Wright now we must make first step, and it should be Mars.
Old August 4th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #910
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Сталин View Post
New video on the Mars One channel on Youtube.

it was about time they uploaded a new video. Damn. finally i am getting to see the vision they wanted to share...

erbse, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #911
antysmok

Likes (Received): 977

New on Mars One site roadmap until 2025.
Things to be really watched, as a check is January 2016 and the launch of communication satellite. Another fact I was not aware, they plan to assemble the transit vehicle on orbit in four separate launches.
antysmok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #912
RTM84

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicaj View Post
Even if we find it, habitable exoplanet, how to fly there?
Flight to Mars can be arrange, the flight to another star system does not.
It will take many decades, before we increase technology necessary to such a flight.
Wright now we must make first step, and it should be Mars.
Agreed. We have to improve and master our skills forst prior to venuring out in deepsace towards another starsystem with a habitable exoplanet.

the technology to find and analize exoplanets is still very young, and the observations we make now may very well be not so accurate. but i am sure we will have much better data and possibly even pictures of exoplanets within the next few decades.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
RTM84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #913
kicaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by antysmok View Post
New on Mars One site roadmap until 2025.
MarsOne MTV

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old August 15th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #914
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

Likes (Received): 3831

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity View Post
I love the ongoing search for exoplanets, but what does it have to do with Mars One? Do you propose that we settle an exoplanet? Or fund the terrestrial planet finder with a reality tv show centered around engineers and scientists involved? lol

erbse, Shaddorry liked this post
VelesHomais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #915
Shaddorry
Futurologist

What i love is the scepticism on this thread. But, the great JFK once said:
Old August 17th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #916
The_Dude
Future Architect

Likes (Received): 5

We can choose to go to an exoplanet... sure. What we can't do is get there for centuries or perhaps millenia. Whereas if we truly choose to go to Mars we can get there within a decade or so. Do you see why there's a bit more support for a Mars settlement?
The_Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #917
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
We can choose to go to an exoplanet... sure. What we can't do is get there for centuries or perhaps millenia. Whereas if we truly choose to go to Mars we can get there within a decade or so. Do you see why there's a bit more support for a Mars settlement?
Because we don't have to be as patient to go to Mars. No, Mars lays within our reachable boundaries.
Oh, and Mars even already has a planetary anthem:

Last edited by Shaddorry; August 18th, 2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old August 19th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #918
Argh

Likes (Received): 219

Erbse
I believe you are somehow connected to Mars One initiative. I have some questions regarding project, and, what's more important, it's financial side. Also, some suggestions from project fan and observer.

1. There were some accusations for Chinese, that the whole project is hoax, journalist could not find any office etc. Perhaps little movie from inside the office and, hopefully, even some pictures depicting the office and organisation itself would be very helpful and convincing for some.

2. There were words of billions of dollars required to complete it. However, is there an financial, even hipothetical, roadmap depicting which stage requires what amount of money? Were there estimated precisely step by step another stages of the project?

3. Considering point 2, Woudn't it be great if the contributors could see how much money is required to go to another stage of project, by showing We have collected 100 thousands of dollars. Only 50k more is required to complete the process of crew selection. We have collected 80 millions of dollars. Only 100 millions more is required to send communication satellite to mars orbit. and so on, and so on.

4. What about more detailed roadmap, depicting EVERY step of organisation- contacts with media, chosing of teams, figting for sponsors, technology research, contacts with astronaut-training-facilities. Less T-shirts adverts, more NGOs work at action. People have to see that their money is put to good use, and encourage more to contribute.

Not meant to be rude or something, just giving some suggestions which may help the project give fruits in the future to come.

Shaddorry, kicaj liked this post
Argh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #919
Kirov88
Je Maintiendrai

Likes (Received): 114

I can answer this question somewhat.

Quote:
1. There were some accusations for Chinese, that the whole project is hoax, journalist could not find any office etc. Perhaps little movie from inside the office and, hopefully, even some pictures depicting the office and organisation itself would be very helpful and convincing for some.
The main reason that Chinese journalists think this is that the foundation is registered at a home address. It's very common in the Netherlands for foundations and company's to have the seat of the company registered at the home address of the founder/owner/entrepreneur of the company or foundation while the actual company/foundation is located somewhere else.
Kirov88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 11:14 AM   #920
Argh

Likes (Received): 219

I hope that the counter-actions against this disinformation were successful. I heard that after this publication Chinese donors were trying to withdraw their investments. Mars One cannot afford to let Chinese down, since Chinese middle class is 500 millions of people, and 2$ a year from each, would in 6 years let the project go.

And still, I believe it require some video material or even special invitation to those journalist again to see with they own eyes how initiative is going on and correct their statements from previous articles.

Shaddorry liked this post
Argh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mars one, space thread