daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Old August 7th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #6121
Ulpia-Serdica
ipso facto&manu militari

Likes (Received): 2465

An interesting startup called Uniqul. The Finland-based startup wants people to pay for their goods using only one thing: their face. The company will be using biometrics technology to achieve their goal.

http://uniqul.com/
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 7th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #6122
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 5182

Arnorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #6123
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
^he is actually right - human hearing is greatly limited and with a good set of speakers a good high bitrate MP3 or similar compressed file where the music outside the range of human hearding is removed or compressed to save file size sounds just as well as any other source of music..

Think of it like photos or videos - there are trillions of colour combinations but all humans can see is around 10million so even 24bit is overkill..
I would disagree, I can hear outright the difference between the uncompressed and compressed sound. I made a comparison myself.

You could argue you can't tell the difference between CDs and SACDs, indeed I can't, but between mp3 and uncompressed PCM I can.
Old August 7th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #6124
kix111

Likes (Received): 2422

Well then bad luck for you. You enjoy the same music everyone else does in a much costly and troublesome fashion.
Old August 7th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #6125
Cytokine

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
NEC of Japan Is Exiting Market for Smartphones

NEC was in talks with one of the Chinese companies, Lenovo, about a partnership aimed at saving the smartphone business, but the negotiations broke down several weeks ago, making the company’s announcement Wednesday inevitable, analysts said.
Source

Panasonic has also announced it was ceasing smartphone development.
Cytokine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #6126
Сталин
In the brig

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpia-Serdica View Post
An interesting startup called Uniqul. The Finland-based startup wants people to pay for their goods using only one thing: their face. The company will be using biometrics technology to achieve their goal.

http://uniqul.com/
That is like the mark of the beast from the bible.

Quote:
And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
It's like you will have that, or an RFID chip in your right hand.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #6127
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 636

New LG G2 is looking very nice!

1080p IPS Display, 5.2"
Snapdragon 800
3000mah Battery
13mp Camera
2gb Ram
And a very small bezel!

Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #6128
Xusein
Xornimo

Likes (Received): 2984

Doesn't look like anything special tbh.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #6129
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Yes, this is a gadget you can actually buy.

Old August 8th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #6130
siamu maharaj
تھپڑوں کی بارش

Likes (Received): 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytokine View Post
Source

Panasonic has also announced it was ceasing smartphone development.
Given how smartphones are the only money-maker in tech, I wonder how these companies intend to make profits. Not like their phones were selling a lot, but still.
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #6131
Matthieu
Administrateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Well then bad luck for you. You enjoy the same music everyone else does in a much costly and troublesome fashion.
Nope, good luck for me I guess. I recovered my audiogram, since they tested my ears at work three years ago (they even tested my piss to check if I was an alcoholic or on drugs, they tested everything).

So basicaly I lose 5dB between 1.5Khz and 3Khz, this is were human speech is and it's a focusing problem (means I don't listen to people, even if I'm not aware of this). But then again -5dB is neglectible (a ear is considered normal if the loss is below 20dB). Above 5Khz and all the way up to the limit of the test machine I gain 10dB above the normal ear, meaning I hear upper frequencies better than the normal supposedly flawless ear.

The machine couldn't read 20Khz but it wouldn't be surprising, considered I haven't shown any drop until 10Khz (still 10dB above the normal ear) I can reach it and even go above (but probably with a drop). Actually, the gain could be above 10dB because the machine couldn't just deliver a lower volume so I was at the highest score possible...

There is only one truth in audio, the person that ears and if I can feel the difference between the mp3 and the CD.
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #6132
kix111

And that is exactly why while everyone can enjoy their supposedly flawless music on 320k MP3 or 256K AAC, you would have to play music from perfect CD records with a set of professional audio equipment.

This is assuming that you actually can tell the difference between MP3 and CD though. Have you actually done a double blinded test? Are you sure it is not a psychological thing? From what you have described it would not surprise me you have a predetermined mindset going into the test thinking your ears are good enough to pick up a difference.

If you read up the methodology behind MP3 compression, you will find interesting things such as the usage of psychoacoustics (the audio version of eye illusions, i.e. tricking your brain into thinking you are hearing something when you are really hearing something else). What im saying is that it is not all about your hearing sensitivity.

Last edited by kix111; August 8th, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #6133
Matthieu
Administrateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
And that is exactly why while everyone can enjoy their supposedly flawless music on 320k MP3 or 256K AAC, you would have to play music from perfect CD records with a set of professional audio equipment.

This is assuming that you actually can tell the difference between MP3 and CD though. Have you actually done a double blinded test? Are you sure it is not a psychological thing? From what you have described it would not surprise me you have a predetermined mindset going into the test thinking your ears are good enough to pick up a difference.

If you read up the methodology behind MP3 compression, you will find interesting things such as the usage of psychoacoustics (the audio version of eye illusions, i.e. tricking your brain into thinking you are hearing something when you are really hearing something else). What im saying is that it is not all about your hearing sensitivity.
I also heard mp3 is failing its tricks when facing a massive dynamic sound (such as applause, lots of ups and downs in various frequencies). Though I only seldom listen to live records so I wouldn't tell.

To be honest though, pop and electronic music (what most people listen to) indeed is good in mp3 because it's simple. This is much less true for instrumental music. If you listen to casual TV stuffs, yeah I agree that you can easily be satisfied with mp3s. I happen to be a bit more complicated than that and I hate pop music.

As for the psychological thing, I didn't do a blind test that is true. Should do someday but I don't think it's that relevant, the audiogram already demonstrated that I should theoretically be in that range and with me thinking the theory is respected by my personal experience, I have no reason to think this is just psychological. Judging by what I read, I think you have a predetermined mindset.

My audiogram (which was done by professionals under rigorous conditions) is really good, maybe your is better but let's be honest, it's most likely lower. +10dB on 10Khz (and above) means a significant difference, if, let's say so, there a noise that you can't hear (not loud enough, that's assuming your ear is perfectly fine in this range ie neither above nor below the correct standard) my lower limit is more than six times deeper than your (a 3dB differences means twice the noise, and we should have a difference of at least ten and that's again assuming your ear shows no weakness is high frequencies).

Now there also is the last issue of the hardware I use. Again there's no point about bragging about a good ear or listening to good music if you have a shitty stereo (or worse, a shitty home cinema). I however had a fairly good stuff:

Pioneer PD-50 CD player, ok it's not the highest end around but it's quite alright already and features a nice upsampling function (32 bits / 192Khz).

An audioromy A-class (2*30 watts, but don't get it wrong it can make a lot of noise) modified with American (RCA) tubes.

A pair of technics speakers, sensitivity to 92.5dB and reaching 28Khz, now understood CDs are stuck to 20Khz that just means it's more comfortable in upper frequencies.
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #6134
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post
I didn't do a blind test that is true.
There you go
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #6135
FREKI
Pip pip pip boom..

Likes (Received): 1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post
I would disagree, I can hear outright the difference between the uncompressed and compressed sound. I made a comparison myself.

You could argue you can't tell the difference between CDs and SACDs, indeed I can't, but between mp3 and uncompressed PCM I can.
There are variations within the human race of course, but humanity is very limited when it coems to the frequencies we can actually here and the main difference between formats is that they cut away the data that the human hear can't physcially hear, thus not a degrade in sound but in file size..

Of coirse one can compress a file to crap be it music, pictures, videos etc, but a properly coded piece of high bit rate music should sound perfect regardless of format..

The best investment when it comes to sound is good reciever/sound system and speakers rather than special digital formats..
Old August 11th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #6136
Cytokine

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Given how smartphones are the only money-maker in tech, I wonder how these companies intend to make profits. Not like their phones were selling a lot, but still.
Panasonic has lost 56 million USD on smartphones in a 3 month period. It's latest model, Eluga P has only sold 15,000 units. NEC has fared even worse, sales of its Medias smartphone have barely scrapped 10,000 units.

NEC will focus on IT & network, while Panasonic will divert resources to its lithium battery business.

Despite their obscurity, both companies had rather interesting devices, they were not run-of-the-mill copycats of today's smartphone world. Panasonic had a smartphone-camera hybrid with Lumix technologies, while NEC had a water-cooled and a dual screen smartphone.

Cytokine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #6137
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 5182

This guy does the best reviews on YouTube.

Arnorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #6138
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 636

Without a doubt!
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #6139
siamu maharaj
تھپڑوں کی بارش

Likes (Received): 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytokine View Post
Panasonic has lost 56 million USD on smartphones in a 3 month period. It's latest model, Eluga P has only sold 15,000 units. NEC has fared even worse, sales of its Medias smartphone have barely scrapped 10,000 units.

NEC will focus on IT & network, while Panasonic will divert resources to its lithium battery business.

Despite their obscurity, both companies had rather interesting devices, they were not run-of-the-mill copycats of today's smartphone world. Panasonic had a smartphone-camera hybrid with Lumix technologies, while NEC had a water-cooled and a dual screen smartphone.

Yeah, these companies will soon need to find profitable thigns. No money in selling fridges and ACs.
Old August 12th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #6140
Joka

Likes (Received): 567

I have a panasonic shaving machine. They should start exporting more to europe, here you can basically only buy phillips or braun.

My photothread: Madrid
Joka no está en línea   Reply With Quote