daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old August 4th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #1701
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 162

That's wonderful news about two planned towers!

I hope we will also hear something about planned two towers across from 24 Hours Fitness on Denny and Yale/Stewart soon. I have been wondering about this project for a while since we haven't hear anything about it for few years now. Hope this project is still alive.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 5th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #1702
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 920

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
That's wonderful news about two planned towers!

I hope we will also hear something about planned two towers across from 24 Hours Fitness on Denny and Yale/Stewart soon. I have been wondering about this project for a while since we haven't hear anything about it for few years now. Hope this project is still alive.
I still have the .pdf on that project. It had a large hotel component to it, I wonder if the Hedreen project reduces the chances for this twin tower project?

CrazyAboutCities liked this post
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 04:00 AM   #1703
LCIII

Likes (Received): 605

I didn't remember it having a hotel component. I thought it was all residential. Hope it happens regardless.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #1704
Capitol Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
I didn't remember it having a hotel component. I thought it was all residential. Hope it happens regardless.
Here's an article from 2009 with some other links. 40 stories with 250 hotel rooms on the lower floors.
http://www.seattlemet.com/news-and-p...-twilight-zone

Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #1705
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 278

Grande indeed, this version anyway. (Very good to see your typeface back again, Craz.)

http://orkidcapital.com/2011/07/04/current-project-2/
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #1706
LCIII

Wow haha according to that video they plan on using mirrors instead of regular glass.

Old August 5th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #1707
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
I still have the .pdf on that project. It had a large hotel component to it, I wonder if the Hedreen project reduces the chances for this twin tower project?
I doubt it will reduce the chances. I think it is great location for another hotel. Seattle now need more hotel rooms to keep up with demands. I find it funny that few years ago, Seattle overbuilt hotels and now they need more than ever thanks to booming tourist industry.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #1708
geoffloftus

Likes (Received): 1061

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I doubt it will reduce the chances. I think it is great location for another hotel. Seattle now need more hotel rooms to keep up with demands. I find it funny that few years ago, Seattle overbuilt hotels and now they need more than ever thanks to booming tourist industry.
I'm also optimistic. The article dwelt on what a crummy location Denny/Stewart/Minor was. Now the development in the Denny Triangle is marching up toward it from the southwest, and development in South Lake Union is marching down toward it from the north. So that general area seems ripe for filling in.
geoffloftus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #1709
LCIII

It's not only not a bad location, it's a great location.

Old August 7th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #1710
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 358

Here's another Dexter apartment project, and surprise! It's not a Holland project! Nice balance to the big Holland projects down the street to have some little ones near:

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID4526.pdf
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #1711
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityView Jim View Post
Here's another Dexter apartment project, and surprise! It's not a Holland project! Nice balance to the big Holland projects down the street to have some little ones near:

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID4526.pdf
A 400 MB file? Jesus..........
Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #1712
Capitol Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffhauser View Post
A 400 MB file? Jesus..........
Can someone post a screenshot?
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #1713
CityView Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
Can someone post a screenshot?
You're not missing anything. At this point its just scaling with no real renderings. Scary in that it's about 10 feet from the neighboring building and not only a view killer but light killer, privacy killer, security (balconies close). Probably some adjusting before final here.
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #1714
CityView Jim

This is cool. One of the last two pieces of Lake Union Park found the money to build! The Center for Wooden Boats, that is:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...centerxml.html

Only remaining part of the Master Plan is a Native American display/exhibit/or the like over near the Sea Plane Terminal on the west shore.
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #1715
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 1064

From todays DJC.

http://www.djc.com/news/bu/12055962.html

August 9, 2013

Kundig calls wooden boat center project ‘a tool box, not jewel box'

By NAT LEVY
Journal Staff Reporter

The Center for Wooden Boats is expanding at Lake Union Park with a 9,500-square-foot education center.

Construction will start on the two-story building early next year, with a goal of opening one year later.

The center opened in 1976 as a hands-on maritime history museum that offers boat rentals, exhibits, classes and workshops. It has outgrown its current indoor space, which totals about 3,500 square feet in two moored houseboats that serve as a repair shop and visitor center.

The center has another 1,340 square feet of covered space.

The new building will be named for the center's founders, Dick and Colleen Wagner. It will be south of the Museum of History and Industry, and visible from Valley Street.

Executive Director Betsy Davis said the $6.6 million education building will allow the center to hold several events at the same time.

The first floor will have an open area with exhibits and visitor services, public restrooms and a small library. On the second floor will be a multi-purpose classroom and administrative space. A two-level boat repair shop will provide space to repair larger boats and build new ones.

In addition to providing extra space, the new building will give the center more of a presence, Davis said.

“Having this beacon in the park is going to be fabulous and allow us to communicate with people like we haven't been able to in the past,” she said.

The architect is Tom Kundig of Olson Kundig Architects. Kundig said the building will borrow from the look of historic Pacific Northwest boathouses yet have a modern design, with a glass exterior around the first floor. Panels on the sides will slide up to let in natural light, or slide down to keep the building cool on a hot day.

“Just like on a boat, every inch of space and feature is designed to provide the highest function,” Kundig said in a statement. “The new building is beautiful, but at the end of the day, it's a tool box, not a jewel box.”

Schuchart Construction is the general contractor. Other team members include: D. Bolin, Co., development consultant; Sparling, electrical engineer; WSP Flack+Kurtz, mechanical engineer; and KPFF Consulting Engineers, civil and structural engineer.

The center is fundraising to pay for the expansion and wants a total of $9.5 million for the new building, improvements to other spaces, and an operating reserve and endowment.

Davis said the center has raised $6.7 million so far, and hopes to reach $9.5 million by the end of this year.

Davis said the center has been exploring the idea of expanding since 2005, when it hired Mithun to do an analysis.

The center also has a 5,000-square-foot converted warehouse near Gas Works Park used for boat repair and storage. It has another building on Camano Island, which won't be changed.

The Wagners began renting boats from their floating home near the Aurora Bridge in 1968. The center's website said the rentals became so popular that the Wagners and their supporters decided to start a “living museum” to show their growing collection of wooden craft, and that grew into the Center for Wooden Boats.

Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #1716
LCIII

I think that's great
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #1717
NWDave83

Likes (Received): 209

very cool! I love how this city embraces it's maritime tradition and culture!
NWDave83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #1718
CityView Jim

This isn't really anything new other than timelines for 777 Thomas and 201 Westlake. Starting early next year with completion summer 2015:

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...neaptsxml.html
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #1719
NathanielW

Likes (Received): 205

While I was taking construction photos earlier today (I'll be posting those later), I stumbled onto the South Lake Union Block Party on John St at Westlake Ave:

http://pugetsoundscape.com/2013/08/s...s-august-2013/
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #1720
JiminyCricket

Likes (Received): 125

Not as hoppin as the capitol hill block party I see...
JiminyCricket no está en línea   Reply With Quote