daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Closed Thread

Old August 20th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #141
Romashka01

Likes (Received): 2324

The index captures the HDI of the average person in society, which is less than the aggregate HDI when there is inequality in the distribution of health, education and income. Under perfect equality, the HDI and IHDI are equal; the greater the difference between the two, the greater the inequality. In that sense, "the IHDI is the actual level of human development (taking into account inequality), while the HDI can be viewed as an index of the potential human development that could be achieved if there is no inequality."

IHDI 2012

Hungary .................. 0.769

Poland .................... 0.740

Chile ...................... 0.664

Name user 1, CarltonHill, jartmo liked this post
Romashka01 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old August 20th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #142
Treka

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Name user 1 View Post
you provided data for absolute poverty there is Brazil disadvantages because has 10 percent of population very poor BUT relative poverty is much worse in Mexico because according to the latest World Bank data Mexico's poverty is 51.3% of population. Whereas, Brazil poverty is 21.4% of population.

link here
Can you guys stop fighting? Neither of you is going to win and its just going to ruin this thread!
Treka no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2013, 06:34 AM   #143
Wild3r
Wilder

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treka View Post
Can you guys stop fighting? Neither of you is going to win and its just going to ruin this thread!
I hate when people become nationalist. The eternal fight, Brazil Vs Mexico.
Wild3r no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:50 PM   #144
brazilian001
carioca

Likes (Received): 5925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4scapers View Post
Mexico also has a larger and more sophisticated export , consumer goods and technology sectors. (Excluding Embraer).
You mean Brazil?
brazilian001 está en línea ahora  
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:32 PM   #145
Treka

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild3r View Post
Yup, and why do they care so much what other people think about their nations? It really isn't a big deal...
Treka no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:28 PM   #146
Gatech12

Likes (Received): 442

If Brazil was next to the United States there wouldn't be Brazilians left in Brazil.
Gatech12 no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:22 PM   #147
sebvill
In the brig

Likes (Received): 6554

The eternal Brazil vs Mexico fight.

By the way, with the huge devaluation of the Real this year, Mexico could become the largest economy in Latin America in nominal terms in coming years.

Either way. Mexicos and Brazils economic growth are huge dissapointments. The two Latin American giants have huge structural problems to overcome if they want to have decent economic growth in the long term. This year is expected that none of them will grow more than 3% (and I think that even that figure is very optimistic).

In the other hand, Mexico is more developed than Brazil by almost any measurement but Brazilians have done an excellent marketing promoting their economy and their country outside its borders with the Lula Miracle. Mexicos image in the other side is very bad. However today the markets are realizing that Lulas Brazil was a big ilusion. Eike Batistas economic empire huge fall is a great example of that. The reality is that countries grow by improving their productivity not by social programmes and governments subsidizing mercantilist business men.

Name user 1 liked this post
sebvill no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:44 AM   #148
weava

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:

There're slums in the US, where 50 million Americans survive on government food stamps.
there are some poor and high crime areas in many inner cities but there are no real slums in the US. I live in a major city and even the poorest neighborhoods have paved roads, sidewalks, streetlights, water/power/natural gas to every house. Most houses also have high speed internet access and even gigabit speeds are available in some of the poorest neighborhoods. Compare that to the real slums I've seen in Mexico in person and its not even comparable.

I just watched this on netflix last night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1788461/
which was an interesting to me, the US still had slums in the 1950s.

Name user 1 liked this post
weava está en línea ahora  
Old August 23rd, 2013, 03:57 AM   #149
Wild3r
Wilder

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
there are some poor and high crime areas in many inner cities but there are no real slums in the US. I live in a major city and even the poorest neighborhoods have paved roads, sidewalks, streetlights, water/power/natural gas to every house. Most houses also have high speed internet access and even gigabit speeds are available in some of the poorest neighborhoods. Compare that to the real slums I've seen in Mexico in person and its not even comparable.

I just watched this on netflix last night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1788461/
which was an interesting to me, the US still had slums in the 1950s.
Of course it isn't comparable. But from there to say that there is no poverty at all in the U.S., there is much difference. In the US there is a visible lack of social welfare like there is in Europe.
Wild3r no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:19 AM   #150
weava

Quote:
Of course it isn't comparable. But from there to say that there is no poverty at all in the U.S., there is much difference. In the US there is a visible lack of social welfare like there is in Europe.
nobody said there wasn't poverty in the US, you were the one who said there are slums. poverty and slums are not the same thing.
someone in poverty by US standards would be considered rich in other countries... My brother is in "poverty" by US standards and gets food stamps and his girlfriend recently had his child recently and that was paid for by medicare(free insurance for the poor). And this is a guy who drives a nice car and plans on buying a PS4 at launch... yea, poverty is far from slums in the US.
Old August 25th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #151
Alex Roney

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebvill View Post

Actually even in the HDI adjusted by inequality Chile scores higher than Uruguay.

Inequality in Chile is high, but is not an actual problem as in poorer countries in our region like Brasil, Colombia or Peru. Gini Index is a tricky thing.
All the HDI adjusted inequality index shows is that it weighs the HDI with that country's GINI, that doesn't mean for example that those in the bottom 50% in Chile live better off than in Uruguay. Many social figures shows Uruguay right near if not better than Chile. Again, which is odd considering that the latter has a considerably higher GDP per capita.

Inequality IS a big problem in Chile because the livelihoods for the bottom 50% is worse than for countries with a similar or even lower GDP per capita, i.e most of Eastern Europe and the Balkans.

jartmo liked this post
Alex Roney está en línea ahora  
Old August 25th, 2013, 05:03 AM   #152
Isaaac

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
This only suposedly exists in SSC. Some Brazilians may even have nationalistic issues with countries such as Argentina or Portugal, but definitely not with Mexico, a far away, pretty much unknown country in Brazil, famous mostly by their tacky TV soap operas shown in the cheapish TV channels and the americanized mexican culture.

This discussion is totally genuine, I don't see anything wrong arguing about it here. The guy is so funny with "I have the argument" (which one?) thinking anyone is fool enough not to know the reality of his country. To make it clear Mexico is a country Brazilians definitely do not "envy" to have any competition issues, i can guarantee. ;-)
Isaaac no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #153
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 3583

Quote:
Of course there's poverty in the US like most countries, but it is not comparable to any country and most countries on Earth. Someone making less than $25,000 would be considered poor by US standards. As mentioned above, poverty and slums are not the same things!! there are no slums in the US, the closest we have are those empty neighborhoods in Detroit and in New Jersey.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #154
Adde

Likes (Received): 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
Someone making less than $25,000 would be considered poor by US standards.
That's not true though. The median income in the US usually hovers around $25,000. If you're basically earning around or slightly below the median income, you're by no definition poor, and I'm pretty sure most Americans wouldn't consider you poor.

The official poverty threshold for a single person in the US is $11,490.
Adde no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #155
object704

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
As mentioned above, poverty and slums are not the same things!! there are no slums in the US, the closest we have are those empty neighborhoods in Detroit and in New Jersey.
Not in cities, but there are lots of shanty towns in a South.

Also, tent cities are definitely slums. If not for building codes, there would surely be some typical 3rd world slums.

By European standards trailer parks are also slums, but, of course, not as bad as 3rd world.
object704 no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #156
weava

Quote:
Originally Posted by object704 View Post
Not in cities, but there are lots of shanty towns in a South.

Also, tent cities are definitely slums. If not for building codes, there would surely be some typical 3rd world slums.

By European standards trailer parks are also slums, but, of course, not as bad as 3rd world.
that theory is busted since a lot of the US doesn't have building codes. something like 2/3rds of the counties in my state have no building codes at all and yet no slums...
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #157
object704

Quote:
that theory is busted since a lot of the US doesn't have building codes. something like 2/3rds of the counties in my state have no building codes at all and yet no slums...
Any big cities without building codes?

In rural America there are slums.
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #158
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 4622

People are really trying to argue that slums do not exist in the United States? De Nile isn't just a river in Africa.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #159
weava

Quote:
Originally Posted by object704 View Post
Any big cities without building codes?

In rural America there are slums.
really? because I grew up poor in rural America and there aren't slums.
Old August 27th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #160
object704

Quote:
really? because I grew up poor in rural America and there aren't slums.
Lots of poor is only one necessary condition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonia...ited_States%29
http://www.sos.state.tx.us/border/colonias/faqs.shtml

Quote:
There are more than 2,294 Texas colonias, located primarily along the state's 1,248 mile border with Mexico.

The development of Texas colonias dates back to at least the 1950s. Using agriculturally worthless land, land that lay in floodplains or other rural properties, developers created unincorporated subdivisions. They divided the land into small lots, put in little or no infrastructure, then sold them to low-income individuals seeking affordable housing.

Housing. Housing in the colonias is primarily constructed by residents little by little, using available materials. Professional builders are rarely used. Residents frequently start with tents or makeshift structures of wood, cardboard or other materials and, as their financial situation allows, continue to improve their homes. Housing in older colonias tends to be better developed because residents have had more time to make improvements.
http://www.pbs.org/klru/forgottenamericans/focus.htm

Thats definetely slums too, and they are in cities, including major ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tent_city

Some are not even tent anymore.

Closed Thread